Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Aphrodite posted:

Raising beer prices a quarter would make more than $2million, it's nothing.

Don't give them any ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Raising beer prices a quarter would make more than $2million, it's nothing.

Yeah, but who's gonna pay $16.25 for a beer, that's just stupid.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Ice Jerseys is having a two-day sale on jersey customization, $10 on any jersey they sell. This is important because 1, they do high quality tackle twill stuff, 2, it includes the vintage line, and 3, they have no limits on retired or traded players (although your FUCCBOI 69 jersey is probably a no-go).

DJExile posted:

For those that haven't used them before, IceJerseys is loving great for the money

Thirding the Icejerseys rep. They do real good stuff, I've bought two jerseys from them and they're great.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Eat it, weird new jerseys

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hartford sucked

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Powershift posted:

Just make it an even 20. Then the person will feel no need to tip the beer person, and give all the money to us.

*A nhl owner/venue owner.*

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
badass

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The Golden Man posted:

Jerseys are already ads

Sports fandom is a conflict where fans fight with the team for control of the brand. Nobody wants to fight for possession of Allstate Insurance.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Powershift posted:

:smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jackets beat writer Aaron Portzline has left the Columbus Dispatch after being there nearly 30 years. Probably a good bet he's going to The Athletic.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Sports fandom is a conflict where fans fight with the team for control of the brand. Nobody wants to fight for possession of Allstate Insurance.

I'm gonna beat Daryl Katz by buying five Draisaitl jerseys

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Hand Knit posted:

To me sports fandom is about seeing My Boys from Our City kick the poo poo out of A Bunch of Pussies from The Wrong City so that the people from that place, which is probably lovely, feel bad.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I like my team, which is the best team, and I guess there's a bunch of other teams as well

*waves hands*

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I believe that people who like other teams cannot drink as much beer as I can, and the women they couple with are displeasing to behold

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DJExile posted:

Jackets beat writer Aaron Portzline has left the Columbus Dispatch after being there nearly 30 years. Probably a good bet he's going to The Athletic.

God drat. :stare:

Given this:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/888370329252356097

...it's either something like that or he's going to try to go the crowdfunded route (which, to be fair, worked for NASCAR writer Jeff Gluck).

e- I think I found a spoiler (unless it was always there and just never caught it):

quote:

Aaron Portzline
@Aportzline

I cover the Columbus Blue Jackets | PHWA | NHL Network | The Hockey News

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I think he's contributed to THN in the past, just never been a full-timer for them.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The Golden Man posted:

I'm gonna beat Daryl Katz by buying five Draisaitl jerseys

I don't know that this strategy promises much success.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

To me sports fandom is about seeing My Boys from Our City kick the poo poo out of A Bunch of Pussies from The Wrong City so that the people from that place, which is probably lovely, feel bad.

Yeah and you want them to be 'my boys from our city' and not 'profitable employee for megacorp.' The players should belong to you, not Rogers.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

CBJSprague24 posted:

God drat. :stare:

Given this:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/888370329252356097

...it's either something like that or he's going to try to go the crowdfunded route (which, to be fair, worked for NASCAR writer Jeff Gluck).

e- I think I found a spoiler (unless it was always there and just never caught it):

Note that he mentioned CBJ

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/887396694307946496

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Athletic has been seriously aggressive with expansion and hiring some pretty prominent writers. Do they have some big corporate backer I'm unaware of, because there's no way they're profitable at the moment.

THN has its annual Front Office Confidence Poll out, so Red Wings fans you can vent your wrath by giving Holland straight 1s.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 21, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Nashville just hired a 35 year old USHL coach to be an assistant, replacing Housley. https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/nashville-predators-name-dan-muse-assistant-coach/c-290465456

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

ThinkTank posted:

The Athletic has been seriously aggressive with expansion and hiring some pretty prominent writers. Do they have some big corporate backer I'm unaware of, because there's no way they're profitable at the moment.

Yes, they have Silicon Valley venture capital backing.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The few free articles I've read at The Athletic featured good analyses. Hard to justify more subscription fees on my budget (especially in a world saturated with 'free' sports writing), but I admire that their content is probably worth paying for.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ElwoodCuse posted:

Eat it, weird new jerseys

yeah gently caress i couldn't help it

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

a false posted:

yeah gently caress i couldn't help it

:mad:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
bure on the canucks has always been like the archetype to me of the noble adversary that has earned your infinite respect after arduous battle. or something. also the 94 canucks jerseys are so good and i've always wanted one

a false fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 21, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So you're trying to get people to wood chip jerseys to spite people instead of burning?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

iospace posted:

So you're trying to get people to wood chip jerseys to spite people instead of burning?

amazon doesn't sell gasoline. Plus throwing a Rangers jersey through a shredder would make a delightful blue and red confetti.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'm just glad it's not getting thrown on the ice.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/888489740583845888
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/888490133544026113

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
That's an entirely reasonable contract, which keeps a good player on a bad team.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/888539893441470466

Can we please go back to upper body injury?

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

But they refuse to release contract details

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

tomas tatar signed a 4 year deal worth $21.2 million (5.3 per). yay more stupid contracts!!!

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Shawn Cotureier posted:

But they refuse to release contract details

1.75 boils/yr

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Tatar was the red wing who was saying this was going to be his last contract with the red wings if it went to arbitration, right?

quick edit: yes http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/07/09/report-tatar-says-arbitration-contract-would-probably-be-my-last-season-in-detroit/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Sign the ZBAD Jeff. Jeff pls.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

hifi posted:

Tatar was the red wing who was saying this was going to be his last contract with the red wings if it went to arbitration, right?

quick edit: yes http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/07/09/report-tatar-says-arbitration-contract-would-probably-be-my-last-season-in-detroit/

should have let it go to arbitration, one year deal, then trade him. but because holland is in charge, they're rebuilding but not really rebuilding. like, what team says they're "rebuilding" then loads their roster up with more lovely contracts. and what team that's "rebuilding" says their stated goal is to just make the playoffs.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Seems kind of high for a 46 point guy

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i dont know if that contract is fair or not. (it's probably an overpayment but honestly it's irrelevant.) what i do know is tatar is one of the very few tradable assets they have left. by the time that contract is up he'll be 30, worthless in terms of trade value, and the wings will still suck.

Gio fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Takes him through his prime and if he keeps putting up 20-25 it ain't bad value. Sucks he's stuck in that poo poo town on that poo poo team tho.

• Locked thread