Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
how was the car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

May not be strictly OSHA, but could see it leading to unsafe shenanigans.

Tesla Gun

quote:

The Tesla Gun is a totally self-contained, portable lightning machine consisting of a backpack providing battery storage, CPU and power supply circuits along with a pistol grip mounted Tesla coil capable of producing nearly 6-foot (2-meter) spark lengths.

The power supply circuitry is water-cooled and capable of continuous run times of several minutes up to several hours in non-continuous operation.

The gun can be used to ignite Hydrogen-filled balloons for a nice bang, or directed into a grounded rod to roast marshmallows or hot dogs.

At lower power levels the sparks aren't painful and those brave enough can actually touch them.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zil posted:

May not be strictly OSHA, but could see it leading to unsafe shenanigans.

Tesla Gun

Commencing shock therapy.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

brb shortcut

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Commencing shock therapy.

Rubber shoes in motion.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

He's mad because there's supposed to be an item box there.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

YEE - HAW

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
https://twitter.com/MachinePix/status/875801623099973632

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So today at work, we had to clean out a warehouse/garage deal. People didn't pay the rent, left the place half full of crap. SO we go in and start cleaning it out. Dude pulls a box full of 9 inch bolts, it slips, full force into his kidney. He gets up, "oh everythings fine". Fast forward 3 hours later, the dude is writhing in pain, like on the ground. He pees out blood and passes a kidney stone. The ambulance comes, he gets to the ER, xrayed and all that, dudes got like 9 kidney stones.

I guess the moral of the story is, a box of bolts falling on you cures kidney stones.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Wildlife is not OSHA approved I'm fairly certain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLsM2ijRao

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mo_Steel posted:

One of my favorite videos

:canada: :tbear:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5cMZymSr0

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INov9gQ2aUA

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

/!\ WARNING DO NOT MOVE THIS VECHICLE /!\
Even though you totally can, and probably will.

I see tank commanders driving around every winter without clearing their windshields; this stupid thing isn't going to stop anybody.
Plus once you're home, you could totally sink a drill bit through the casing & suction cup to pop it right off, then throw the fuckin' thing into a ditch.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

There's a roundabout near me that used to just be flat bricks flush with the road, it was basically cosmetic and the local idiots just drove straight over it. They put a bunch of 40cm high concrete blocks on it one Saturday morning, and the following Monday when I drove past there was smashed glass and plastic loving everywhere. It was great.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NoWake posted:

I see tank commanders driving around every winter without clearing their windshields; this stupid thing isn't going to stop anybody.
Plus once you're home, you could totally sink a drill bit through the casing & suction cup to pop it right off, then throw the fuckin' thing into a ditch.

I would stick it with a hot poker.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Oh, look what I got in the mail today.

I had no idea this was a thing, I've had the car for a year. Guess I'll be driving extra careful over the weekend.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

NoWake posted:

Judge once you have watched these vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tA5O8MStCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGVv_3Hqfms

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Malachi Constant posted:

I had no idea this was a thing, I've had the car for a year. Guess I'll be driving extra careful over the weekend.
THIS IS AN EMERGENCY AND YOU MUST GET THIS DONE NOW, CALL US RIGHT loving NOW

"hello, this is honda's airbag service scheduling department, how does february 29th work for you?"

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Buff Skeleton posted:

:stare: using one of those as a planter seems like a really bad idea. Those things can be REALLY drat sharp, and prone to rust.
[quote]

They're aluminum so they're not going to rust.
That sharp edge isn't just going to disintegrate...
I'm half-tempted to tell the maintenance guy to loan me an extension cord so I can take a sander to those edges.

[quote]
And they're bad not just for the safety reasons mentioned, but for the metal taking in heat from the sun and overheating the soil if it gets hot in the summer. Not the best thing for the plants, which are probably used to having a generally-consistent soil temp on account of, y'know, being buried underground.
I remember running into this with houseplants when comparing black plastic pots vs. Terracotta. That and plastic retains too much moisture compared to the clay, which is porous. I'm sure metal isn't going to be letting anything through except heat.

So not only is it a dumb way to "upcycle" (aren't they all?), but it's not even good for its new intended purpose. Haha.

Everything you just said + they planted plants completely wrong for the environment that immediately died. They replanted them, with plants that can't stand the heat and sun, and still haven't watered them.

It took like 3 months but they finally tied those "culverts as decoration" into something. They put corrugated metal across the front of the apartment with the street number on it. It looks ok'ish, the culverts and weird upside down wooden L's still look stupid.

chitoryu12 posted:

We've never done drug tests, but we almost did one when an employee began having odd behavior and we found what looked like flakka on the bathroom floor after he left. We had previously found his Tumblr and uncovered a bunch of misbehaving and excessive alcohol consumption at trade shows and conventions he was sent to.

It ended up being a moot point because he was fired after missing over a week of work due to crashing his car on the way back from Texas.

You're one of the only people on the forums where I'd absolutely agree, no, insist, on drug testing every mouthbreething motherfucker who comes through your doors for qualification testing.

For those not familiar with chitoryu12's occupation: Lotta the times you see a "crane falling" video in this thread it's because one of those Old-Boys went cowboy and lifted something without calculating the load. His job is to test and certify those assholes so they don't do that. The ruling deadline requiring certification got pushed back to November of this year and if you haven't been paying attention to his relevant posts over the last few years you've been missing out.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Powershift posted:

"hello, this is honda's airbag service scheduling department, how does february 29th work for you?"

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Did this car have a Barnacle on it? :v:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
dem drat duke boys

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I'm more concerned about the lighting on those stairs.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Gobbeldygook posted:

Romania. Longer video with other angles. Driver was dazed but fine.

Was going to say: it caught some decent air.

I'm the dog coming forth to investigate.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Malachi Constant posted:

Powershift posted:

I had to wait six months to get the airbag in my old POS Honda replaced. The way Honda handled it really pissed me off and is a big part of the reason I didn't buy another Honda.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Mo_Steel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Fck4ux6sE
solution to bear problem.

the osha part is going outside with bear nearby.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

NoWake posted:

You can also cut a bolt on a wheel lock. Stupid will be stupid, doesn't make the devices a bad idea.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

ChesterJT posted:

You can also cut a bolt on a wheel lock. Stupid will be stupid, doesn't make the devices a bad idea.

It kinda does, though.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

MisterOblivious posted:

They're aluminum so they're not going to rust.
That sharp edge isn't just going to disintegrate...
I'm half-tempted to tell the maintenance guy to loan me an extension cord so I can take a sander to those edges.

Ah, well at least there's that one plus... kinda. I thought they were all made of steel.

There is a huge steel drain pipe like that in a massive drainage ditch back behind my parents' house, and that thing is ancient and full of rusty holes and standing water now. It's supposed to let water from the retention pond drain into the creek on the other side of a hill via an underground pipe, but it's all gotten clogged up over the years.. Giant steel protruding death pipe is still in the retention pond, though!

Good thing that whole area is fenced off. I do have to go back there every so often when I take my dog over to chase chuck-it balls in the back yard, and then I end up launching some over the fence by mistake. Always a bit dicey if they roll into the hole where the pipe is, which is also about a foot wider than the diameter of the pipe from erosion and also full of water.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Three-Phase posted:

I had to wait six months to get the airbag in my old POS Honda replaced. The way Honda handled it really pissed me off and is a big part of the reason I didn't buy another Honda.

For what it's worth, most of the delays in the Takata recall are due to the replacement parts being essentially unobtanium. I'm not saying Honda didn't take a giant dump on your life through schedule fuckery, though.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Dark Off posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Fck4ux6sE
solution to bear problem.

the osha part is going outside with bear nearby.

My Summer Car update looking good!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Volcott posted:

It kinda does, though.

Cutting a boot off gets you an additional charge for vandalism. This, you just get something long and flat with a sharpish end, slip it under the edge, and wiggle it under the edge of the suction cup. Or get a stack of tear-offs like NASCAR uses to "clean" their windshields. :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If they haven't already they're going to have serial numbers they will conveniently note with your license plate to threaten vandalism or theft, that's not the point. The bar to meet for things like this is just to make it conspicuous enough to discourage most people.

The questionable property is that it doesn't do anything to make the car undrivable. The sort of person who'd rack up enough violations or park on private property also has a good chance of being at least slightly adept at driving around with your head out the window with practice from when their wipers were out or the month they spent with a spiderwebbed windshield or the jalopy they had as a kid where the hood didn't always latch right. So now they are encouraged to drive backroads to where it isn't conspicuous to pop the suction cups because the enforcers are too cheap for a boot or a tow.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 22, 2017

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

JB50 posted:

My Summer Car update looking good!

There really should be an OSHA compliant signage warning about the danger of engaging angry Finns.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

There really should be an OSHA compliant signage warning about the danger of engaging angry Finns.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Volcott posted:

It kinda does, though.

Why?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

what the gently caress is this garbage

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

`Nemesis posted:

what the gently caress is this garbage

It's a meme. At least, I don't think Girls Generation has much combat experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So this is going to be a challenge to clean up,

Robot finds likely melted fuel heap inside Fukushima reactor

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article163069108.html

Are we at the point where it would be easier just to build a thick shell around it of several tons of concrete and rebar, and call it a day?