Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
mikael backlund

i dont really need another centre but im also not just leaving this guy here. cheap (though needs an extension), makes everyone around him way better and is pretty good defensively. im sure ill find some wingers somewhere

edit: I typed "backlund" "mikael" "bakl" "$3,575" and refreshed the spreadsheet cause i was sure he had been picked

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

stab posted:

I took a trip to finland on my phone

Rasmus Ristolainen

And

TUUKAAAAAA TIME (which as a habs fan makes me feel dirty)

Tuukka Rask

i briefly considered ristolainen but he really cant do anything but play on the powerplay

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Verviticus posted:

i briefly considered ristolainen but he really cant do anything but play on the powerplay

Ahem

Excuse me

HIITTTTZZZZZ, which makes him the perfect player for Bergevin

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

backlund is a most excellent pick

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Risto is all-around solid. He's without question a better player than any other Sabres D (who have better metrics)

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Since we're into Round 6, we need to make a Round 5 consensus pick for Arabian Jesus. Maybe a RHD or G since those are two areas they're missing players in so far.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Risto is hard to gauge. Dude is a monster baby playing crazy heavy minutes he absolutely is not ready to play, but if he were playing sheltered minutes like most other guys his age he would probably be lauded as a future superstar.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

His head coaches, iirc

Ron Rolston
Ted Nolan
Dan Bylsma

I'm glad he's alive

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Jordan7hm posted:

Risto is hard to gauge. Dude is a monster baby playing crazy heavy minutes he absolutely is not ready to play, but if he were playing sheltered minutes like most other guys his age he would probably be lauded as a future superstar.

I had him as my backup in my phone in pick last round. Guy is good, but goes too often for the big hit which causes problems. Guy is only 22 though so has time to settle down some.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Give the consensus guy a goalie imo. There's been a bit of a run on them.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Give the consensus guy a goalie imo. There's been a bit of a run on them.

The stanley cup finalist goalie is still available

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

i'm gonna take a bet on this guy rebounding on my favorite team and take Jordan Eberle

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

stab posted:

The stanley cup finalist goalie is still available

i think that would be a reasonable pick for Consensus team, if everyone else agrees.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its too early to pick goalies

i didnt want to take canucks but im left with no choice, chris tanev come on down

nobody is scoring against my team, ever

i wont lie, i kinda dreamed of putting a guy like ristolainen with a guy like tanev but oh well

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

backlund is a most excellent pick

in the process of picking him and also searching for him in the spreadsheet i deleted your granlund pick and replaced it with $3,575,000

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

i think that would be a reasonable pick for Consensus team, if everyone else agrees.

Highest ranking goalie still available. Good for me.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Sure. Pekka Rinne to the consensus team, then.

eXXon is up until 8:15 PM EST, followed by Habibi and lazerwolf.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Verviticus posted:

its too early to pick goalies

i didnt want to take canucks but im left with no choice, chris tanev come on down

nobody is scoring against my team, ever

i wont lie, i kinda dreamed of putting a guy like ristolainen with a guy like tanev but oh well

I really like the structure of your team so far.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Rask definitely should have went ahead of Andersen. Talbot too. There's a case to be made ahead of Schneider even, I debated for a while but I had Rask last draft.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

T-Bone posted:

Rask definitely should have went ahead of Andersen. Talbot too. There's a case to be made ahead of Schneider even, I debated for a while but I had Rask last draft.

Rask was average last year, is 30 and has 4 years at 7 million. Andersen's posted better numbers this year and last and is cheaper and younger. No clue why people are down on Andersen but Rask is not better.

e: i should say Rask was a much better goalie than Andersen but he seems to be past his prime now.

Technetium fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 22, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I really like the structure of your team so far.

thanks!

tkachuk - backstrom - x
x - bergeron - x
x - backlund - x

slavin - x
x - tanev

average goalie
hotshot prospect

originally i wanted more offense but a bunch of players i value fell far enough that i didnt want to pass up on like, bergeron in the second round, so here we are. its gonna end being a team that really relies on one D and one C per pairing, which is fine by me. backstrom is the only worldbeater i have though so hopefully he can do all the scoring thats not done by committee

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 22, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Technetium posted:

Rask was average last year, is 30 and has 4 years at 7 million. Andersen's posted better numbers this year and last and is cheaper and younger. No clue why people are down on Andersen but Rask is not better.

e: i should say Rask was a much better goalie than Andersen but he seems to be past his prime now.

30 is not past a goalie's prime, by a long shot

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Habibi and eXXon can both pick right now

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Yaya posted:

Habibi and eXXon can both pick right now

Habibi has until 10:15 AM EST, so yeah, we could be waiting for awhile (although I am hopeful this is not the case!). Afterwards lazerwolf and the quoted poster can go.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good morning!

I'm going to reach slightly and take Andre Burakovsky. He hasn't cracked 40 points yet, but he had the 9th most TOI/GP of forwards on the Caps last season and still managed 35P in 64 GP, plus 6 in 13 in the playoffs. He's signed to a reasonable 3Mx2 year bridge contract and since the Caps lost a bunch of forwards he's due for a breakout season next year. Plus, I might actually be near the cap this time.

That leaves me with:

Huberdeau-Malkin
Burakovsky-Duchene

OEL-Carlson

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Technetium posted:

I think it's debatable that Rask is past his prime and we're also talking about the goalie with the all-time highest regular season save percentage. I may be underrating Andersen a bit based on his 5v5 numbers though.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

T-Bone posted:

I think it's debatable that Rask is past his prime and we're also talking about the goalie with the all-time highest regular season save percentage. I may be underrating Andersen a bit based on his 5v5 numbers though.

He also has much funnier meltdowns than Anderson.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

eXXon posted:

Good morning!

I'm going to reach slightly and take Andre Burakovsky. He hasn't cracked 40 points yet, but he had the 9th most TOI/GP of forwards on the Caps last season and still managed 35P in 64 GP, plus 6 in 13 in the playoffs. He's signed to a reasonable 3Mx2 year bridge contract and since the Caps lost a bunch of forwards he's due for a breakout season next year. Plus, I might actually be near the cap this time.

That leaves me with:

Huberdeau-Malkin
Burakovsky-Duchene

OEL-Carlson

Crosses one off my list of players to get in the next round.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jordan7hm posted:

30 is not past a goalie's prime, by a long shot

It's when most start declining yes.

T-Bone posted:

Yeah I mean Rask has been amongst the elite during his career but back to back average seasons leave me wondering if he's ever going to be elite again or just a regular starter.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Technetium posted:

It's when most start declining yes.

Yeah I mean Rask has been amongst the elite during his career but back to back average seasons leave me wondering if he's ever going to be elite again or just a regular starter.

Patrick Roy came out of the lockout pretty rough and had two mediocre seasons before turning it back around.

Hasek was pretty meh in Detroit for a few years there before being an absolute beast for Ottawa.

Luongo had two pretty average seasons in 2012-14 and then three pretty good seasons.

Tim Thomas's three year run bookended by Vezinas (with losing his job because he wasn't very good during that middle season).

Etc

Good goalies have mediocre seasons some times, for lots of reasons.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

agreed that hall of fame goaltenders sometimes don't follow the same curve

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

agreed that hall of fame goaltenders sometimes don't follow the same curve

Yeah. And Rask's sv% through his first 15000 minutes of play puts him in that clas.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Am I correct that Derek Stepan is still available? If so, come on down, Monsieur Stepan.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah. And Rask's sv% through his first 15000 minutes of play puts him in that clas.

i think you're overrating his career and i definitely wouldn't bank on him being a better choice than andersen for the length of their contracts

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

This is a hot new take about things but I've heard that Goalies Are Voodoo.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

i think you're overrating his career and i definitely wouldn't bank on him being a better choice than andersen for the length of their contracts

I might buy this argument with another goalie but Andersen has a single season with a save % above 920. His last two seasons, representing 50% of his body of work in the NHL, were barely better than Rask's "mediocre seasons". His other full season was slightly worse. Dude is a .918 goalie after about 5k shots and, other than goalies being voodoo, will probably not be more than that.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Allow me to put on my homer hat. Rask is an elite goalie and a lot of his recent struggles, including this last season where he was league average at worst, stem from the fact that Boston has poor organizational depth at defense and goaltending. As a result he has to play a lot of minutes and the thinking is he's just exhausted. In fact, since the lockout he has played more regular season minutes than any goalie in the NHL. If you include the playoffs, only two goalies have played more time overall.

Here's the breakdown and his rank for 2012-13 through 2016-17:
Regular Season Stats
GP: 293 (1st)
Wins: 157 (2nd)
Shots Against: 8096 (2nd)
Saves: 7461 (2nd)
Sv%: .9215 (10th)
GAA: 2.2529 (5th)
TOI: 16911:10 (1st)
Shutouts: 27 (2nd)

Playoffs
GP: 40 (T-6th)
Wins: 23 (T-4th)
Shots Against: 1296 (5th)
Saves: 1210 (5th)
Sv%: .9336 (1st)
GAA: 1.9687 (2nd)
TOI: 2620:59 (5th)
Shutouts: 5 (T-1st)

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 22, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

andersen is younger and 2m a year cheaper. even if i expected similar goaltending from the two, andersen hass more a more valuable contract

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
There's nothing wrong with Andersen, but Rask is demonstrably better. I do understand not wanting him from a contract angle, though. He's expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Youre all missing the point

He's a montreal canadien now

The ultimate troll

• Locked thread