Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That guy is gonna die of old age before he gets to the balrog but yeah I want to hear his opinion on balrog wings

Napkin calculation says he should be finished with the trilogy in about five and a half years! Assuming he can keep up his present winged pace, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Balrog wings: No......

Thank you for saving me from untold hours of wasting my time with bad opinions.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Thank you for saving me from untold hours of wasting my time with bad opinions.

He's right about that, fight me.

(but he's wrong about Bombadil)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'll 'ave you, Longshanks!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Are there transcripts available?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lemniscate Blue posted:

this is exactly wrong

the correct answers are:

1) Balrogs: shadowy aura that stretches out in the manner of wings, but is not wings (fallen angels don't have wings!)

2) bombadil: existed before ainur arrived, so earth spirit created with & as part of middle earth (immune to the ring for the same reason hobbits are -- no desires beyond what he already has)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

this is exactly wrong

the correct answers are:

1) Balrogs: shadowy aura that stretches out in the manner of wings, but is not wings (fallen angels don't have wings!)

2) bombadil: existed before ainur arrived, so earth spirit created with & as part of middle earth (immune to the ring for the same reason hobbits are -- no desires beyond what he already has)

I agree. Was I unclear?

Hobbits are hardly immune, though - just more resistant than most because of their humble nature. Remember of four Hobbit Ringbearers, three fell under it's influence to a greater or lesser extent.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 22, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I agree. Was I unclear?

Hobbits are hardly immune, though - just more resistant than most because of their humble nature. Remember of four Hobbit Ringbearers, three fell under it's influence to a greater or lesser extent.
And Deagol was strangled before anything could happen with him. :v:

I know you meant Sam, but god dammit, let me have my moment.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tom didn't arrive before the ainur. He just arrived before melkor. Iirc.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm glad some of you are liking Tolkien prof! I drive a lot so being long winded doesn't phase me and his scholarship is pretty good in my unprofessional opinion.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

this is exactly wrong

the correct answers are:

Bombabil is just an element of ontological incompleteness because Tolkien didn't like comprehensive systems, he's the part that's left over from any total explanation of creation and yes he's immune to the ring because he has strictly circumscribed desires like a catholic monk.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I like the idea that there's a finite source of explainable things, and they had to funnel all that unexplained phenomena somewhere, it just happened to be into a druid in rainboots.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Right, Tolkien very deliberately ensured that there was no Watsonian explanation for Bombadil, and barely a Doyleist one either. His default answer when asked was pretty much "It's a mystery; get over it."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
no no no there have to be answers

the blue wizards have names and the cats of queen beruthiel have backstories

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Art is a dialogue between creator and the person who experiences it. It's not a monologue by the artist. Demanding that the blue wizards have names, however, is an example of something that isn't necessarily a quest for artistic merit in the material.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Had anyone found the 12 volumes of The History of Middle Earth in ebook format? I'm getting nothing on Google Play and on Amazon Kindle.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tolkien himself considered Helm's Deep easily-omitted filler, and Moria is mostly backstory/character stuff for a side-character and build up to the death of a guy who comes back to life like 40 pages later!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Right, Tolkien very deliberately ensured that there was no Watsonian explanation for Bombadil, and barely a Doyleist one either. His default answer when asked was pretty much "It's a mystery; get over it."

That is true but I also think it is accurate that if you must fit him (and Goldberry! Everyone forgets about her) into a hole it would be ainur

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sassassin posted:

Tolkien himself considered Helm's Deep easily-omitted filler, and Moria is mostly backstory/character stuff for a side-character and build up to the death of a guy who comes back to life like 40 pages later!

It closes off the dwarf story that was key in the hobbit which is important

Especially with the additional dwarf story present in the appendix

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Which I guess is strange to close a story in the main text which is fleshed out in the appendix but that is tolkien !!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

euphronius posted:

That is true but I also think it is accurate that if you must fit him (and Goldberry! Everyone forgets about her) into a hole it would be ainur
I thought Goldberry herself was probably an Ainur who just fell in love with Tom?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nessus posted:

I thought Goldberry herself was probably an Ainur who just fell in love with Tom?

She's a river spirit or naiad but again if we had to pick a hole : ainur

Or maybe water version of an ent

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

It closes off the dwarf story that was key in the hobbit which is important

We have different definitions of important, clearly.

"What are they up to now?" bits aren't as important as Frodo & Gildor's chat about the actual quest to come. It serves mainly as reinforcement of earlier post-Hobbit Bilbo material and gives context to a Gimli character that the the PJ films made completely different without any harm to the main narrative.

As you say it all could have been resolved in the appendices without any harm to the actual story.

Goldberry is old man williow.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sassassin posted:

Goldberry is old man williow.

Tre most shocking thing ever said in this thread .

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't doubt it, tbh.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

euphronius posted:

Really? haha. I've probably listened to 200+ hours with no problem. He used to put his students on the mic which was unbearable. That was years ago tho.

Those loving students were the worst, they were practically literal tropes of "undergraduate English Lit" class, with "guy who never does the loving reading and just bullshits answers", "person who laughs too hard at the professor's jokes" and "over enthusiastic nerd boy who signed up to talk about how sweet the LOTR are"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

the hobbit trilogy in one picture pretty much. god i hate those movies. i know the drama behind the seens and jackson was given jack poo poo in time to make them but holy gently caress, everything that made the LOTR movie good is gone.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the hobbit trilogy in one picture pretty much. god i hate those movies. i know the drama behind the seens and jackson was given jack poo poo in time to make them but holy gently caress, everything that made the LOTR movie good is gone.
I will never give up opportunities to plug The Tolkien Edit. It still doesn't completely make up for everything wrong with the movie, but it turns the catastrophe into one single, solid movie a bit shorter than extended cut ROTK.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You know what I love? Bringing out suddenly-relevant-again things from the Internet of the 90s.

quote:

From a rec.arts.books.tolkien posting dated 3 May 1996.

At last, the mystery of Tom Bombadil's identity has been solved.

Ready?

Tom Bombadil and the Witch-king of Angmar are the same person.

1. We never hear of Tom at all during the whole of the First Age. The Nine Rings aren't forged until the Second Age. QED.

2. You never see the two of them together.

[continues]

http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/theories/bombadil.htm

Archived for all time thanks to the foresight of whoever it is that runs Flying Moose of Nargothrond and is still paying for the domain name and hosting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Green screen is used in all movies and mckellen is a theater actor and idiosyncratic to say the least in his methods . He's not made for movies tho he does well in them sometimes . Anyway he loved the paychecks from the hobbit movies so I don't think he's that upset

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's all sorts of projection going on with that picture. Lots of people have cried and broken down due to stress while making a lot of movies because it's a pain in the loving rear end to make a movie.

Wasn't there an interview to go along with that image?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trin Tragula posted:

You know what I love? Bringing out suddenly-relevant-again things from the Internet of the 90s.

http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/theories/bombadil.htm

Archived for all time thanks to the foresight of whoever it is that runs Flying Moose of Nargothrond and is still paying for the domain name and hosting.

As long as the review of the Bakshi movie endures, there shall always be a memory of the First Age of the Internet still preserved in the modern world

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah and mckellen was trained to be on a stage basically improving performance based on feedback with other actors

Being alone is not good for him

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
PJ's The Hobbit movies are much more faithful to the books than his The Lord of the Rings, they just fell under a much harsher lens having come later, and not having the novelty/innovation factor.

Tauriel is even a good addition because unlike almost every other character she has an observable arc and development (Thorin and Bilbo's will-they won't-they bromance is extremely clumsy by comparison). It's also one of the more obvious cases of a director putting his sexual fantasies up on screen.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Agreed with all that tho tauierel was developed by iirc Walsh and Boyens. Tho of course Jackson made the final decision to put her in .

Edit

Unless your specialty referring to her falling in love with a dwarf.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

sassassin posted:

PJ's The Hobbit movies are much more faithful to the books than his The Lord of the Rings, they just fell under a much harsher lens having come later, and not having the novelty/innovation factor.

Other than the massive changes in tone, characterization, hours of new material, bloated action scenes, and new or over developed characters that added nothing to the story.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 23, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Hobbit movies are mediocre to complete poo poo. The worst thing I can say about them is that they have no life of their own at all. Lines, scenes and characters are ripped wholesale from Jackson's LOTR and jammed in seemingly just because they could do it and figured there was money in it. Jackson's LOTR is crappy adaptation in its own way and each movie has some big problems but it's obvious trolling to say that the excrescence of cinema called the Hobbit trilogy is any better.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The third Hobbit isn't even a movie

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I watched the Hobbit movies on a plane. I was hoping at least the Mirkwood scene would be cool because it's my favorite part of the book, slow and mysterious, you feel like you're actually deep in the woods while reading it because of how long it is and the way it's written. It was maybe a 5 minute scene where they walk through dumb fairytale trees until they reach scaryface elf man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jackson LotR is superior to Rankin-Bass LotR by the same margin that Rankin-Bass Hobbit is superior to Jackson Hobbit