Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Those look adequate to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sorry, here's some content.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ah, finally someone is accommodating me, the man with a bifurcated echidna penis.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bozart posted:

So I was looking for a drop cloth online and apparently I'm an idiot for using it to prevent paint spills, you should use it to make weird house umbrellas and curtains

I used a drop cloth to make a slipcover for a chair. It was the cheapest and easiest way to get a really large piece of heavy duty cotton fabric, especially since I worked at a hardware store at the time.

Anyway it turns out that I don't actually know how to make a slipcover that looks good in addition to covering a chair (not surprising since I just threw the the cloth over the chair and started cutting and sewing), but if I did I would use a drop cloth again.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

WAAAAAAAAGGGHH!

(should be painted red for best effect)

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Red for fastest, green for da best.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

Red for fastest, green for da best.

Red for fastest, fastest for best. :orkbert:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh hell no, that thing he built is a death trap

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FCKGW posted:

Oh hell no, that thing he built is a death trap

B-b-but he really stuck it to those bureaucrats by coming in more than 100 times under budget!!!

Bare wood on the ground with no footings in a place that freezes. Those stairs won't be able to even be in the same place next year. Then there's the hand rail on only one side on an incline that steep.

Do I see that the top stair is split?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 22, 2017

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Skipping footings seems like a bad idea. At least he's on the hook now for all the insurance claims, right? He did have insurance for his work, to protect the city, didn't he?

Edit: Apparently they were already removed as a safety concern.

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 21, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Hard to tell from the photo but the riser height looks inconsistent which would trip people all the time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

He had a slave build it

quote:

Astl says he hired a homeless person to help him and built the eight steps in a matter of hours.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
You're all missing the point: $65,000 is a ridiculous sum of money for a flight of stairs unless they're on the ISS.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

High Lord Elbow posted:

You're all missing the point: $65,000 is a ridiculous sum of money for a flight of stairs unless they're on the ISS.

And now the city contractor has the death steps to point to to justify their $65k stairs.

"Well you see, if someone is bidding in anything cheaper it's because they're trying to build something like that!"

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'm the treads that get narrower and narrower toward the top

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

High Lord Elbow posted:

If this is done by a city, then they might have to add a wheelchair ramp too. I could see $65,000 for that.

What's the exchange rate for Canadian dollars now?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That is the absolute best post in such a long time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The plate and bolts draws the most attention but everywhere you look in that picture there's a new horror.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kid sinister posted:

B-b-but he really stuck it to those bureaucrats by coming in more than 100 times under budget!!!

Bare wood on the ground with no footings in a place that freezes. Those stairs won't be able to even be in the same place next year. Then there's the hand rail on only one side on an incline that steep.

Do I see that the top stair is split?

Here's a tweet log of someone visiting the stairs of doom.

https://twitter.com/zchamu/status/888076360266264580

And some of the best pictures as curated by the toronto thread:

Mr. Apollo posted:

The end of the handrail

The main support beam is just resting on mud

The wood is not pressure treated, painted, stained or even sanded. The workmanship is shoddy. It's just sitting on top the dirt.

Oh, and to get to the stairs you have to climb over a knee-high fence because that isn't an official entrance, just a shortcut.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So it's gone from 'that muddy shortcut is going to kill someone' to 'those stairs are going to kill someone'.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Boogalo posted:

We did not gently caress around with our playforts in the late 80's and early 90's. Plenty of sharpened sticks in the ground and some sprung/swinging branches as traps, but a metal spike dropper is another level.

Back in the 80s and 90s my friends and I had something of a rivalry going on with some other fort building guys. THey'd build a fort, we'd destroy it, and jack their poo poo, we'd build a fort with the jacked poo poo, they'd destroy it and jack their poo poo back plus any of our poo poo. We even had formal boundaries of their turf and our turf. Dividing line was a ditch. From the top of the embankments down was a neutral zone/no-man's land/DMZ. At one point we even negotiated a peace treaty with them, which we promptly broke and destroyed their poo poo again, before they came and destroyed our poo poo again. One time in particular, we came by night, and dismantled their fort piece by piece, nail by nail rather than the usual break poo poo by any means necessary.

We did put aside the rivalry one time in order to throw snow balls at cars after we just happened to have a chance encounter with their "gang" in the same spot at the same time tossing snowballs at cars.

Yeah, we had booby traps too. They weren't that effective.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Here's a tweet log of someone visiting the stairs of doom.

https://twitter.com/zchamu/status/888076360266264580

And some of the best pictures as curated by the toronto thread:

The wood is not pressure treated, painted, stained or even sanded. The workmanship is shoddy. It's just sitting on top the dirt.

Oh, and to get to the stairs you have to climb over a knee-high fence because that isn't an official entrance, just a shortcut.

How did they manage to spend $550 on that?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

High Lord Elbow posted:

Pretty sure $65k is the cost of all the work in the area, not just the single flight of stairs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

duz posted:

Pretty sure $65k is the cost of all the work in the area, not just the single flight of stairs.

Yeah, they probably were planning on using some earth moving equipment to mellow out that slope so the stairs wouldn't need to be dangerously steep. Or metal/concrete stairs designed to last 50 years. Plus they'd want the stairs to look nice, stuff in parks is usually made to look a bit nice so it doesn't ruin the views. And if they are going to all that trouble might as well put in a ramp for accessibility, it's quite the drop so it would be a long ramp if they didn't want it to be too steep. And then things just got away from them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Or they just didn't want to put a new access point there at all, so they quoted a ridic high price so the stairs wouldn't be approved.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, they probably were planning on using some earth moving equipment to mellow out that slope so the stairs wouldn't need to be dangerously steep. Or metal/concrete stairs designed to last 50 years. Plus they'd want the stairs to look nice, stuff in parks is usually made to look a bit nice so it doesn't ruin the views. And if they are going to all that trouble might as well put in a ramp for accessibility, it's quite the drop so it would be a long ramp if they didn't want it to be too steep. And then things just got away from them.

Just take out the whole hill and do this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

They're probably also required to do an environmental assessment and so on.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Messadiah posted:

there was a staircase kinda like this near a mall where i grew up in vancouver, except it was trying to be clever and taper the steps into the side of the hill. except they were actually tapered. so the riser height was usually slightly different even between your left and right foot unless you walked on the side of them closest to the wall.

i have no idea how that was ever legal.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Messadiah posted:

that looks like a deathtrap to someone on a wheelchair.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Bozart posted:

Friend who uses a wheelchair confirmed this. Super steep, no rails, and will tip you sideways if you go off straight.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

SoundMonkey posted:

there was a staircase kinda like this near a mall where i grew up in vancouver, except it was trying to be clever and taper the steps into the side of the hill. except they were actually tapered. so the riser height was usually slightly different even between your left and right foot unless you walked on the side of them closest to the wall.

i have no idea how that was ever legal.

These 'stamps' are in Vancouver at the provincial court house.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

duz posted:

Plus this is in Toronto. $65,000 CAD currently is $51691.92 USD.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the article says they just copied another estimate from some other project and had not actually specced out their own project so the numbers were really just a line item in a budget.

quote:

he mayor says his staff have been asked to revisit the project and come up with a more realistic estimate, as the last one was based on projects in other parks.

also, there's already an accessible path, the stairs are a shortcut.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 22, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Comment that came with the pic: "That's hosed up. Everyone knows that you are supposed to use 1/2" copper for a 30 amp disconnect"

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Bozart posted:

I was trying to find better angles and found an interesting article - The Problems with Ramps Blended into Stairs.

Robson Square at least has some edges around the ramp. Those edges might flip a wheelchair sideways onto the ramp instead of down the stairs but it was the 80's, at least they tried.

This is a loving deathtrap.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

You say "deathtrap", I say "sweet bmx ramp"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just replace wheel chairs with tank treads so they can climb stairs and we stop having to adapt everything.

I saw a lot of these in Prague, a city with a lot of street stairs

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Twinkie Czar posted:

This is a loving deathtrap.

That looks completely unnecessary. :psyduck: It's a very gentle slope that certainly looks like it could accommodate a conventional ramp next to a conventional staircase.

Baronjutter posted:

Just replace wheel chairs with tank treads so they can climb stairs and we stop having to adapt everything.

That still doesn't help the ones with walkers or pushing baby strollers. And won't someone think of the children on hoverboards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Baronjutter posted:

I saw a lot of these in Prague, a city with a lot of street stairs

Won't that end up rounding off the edges of the steps?