Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

awesmoe posted:

I remember thinking at the time (and I still agree today) that anyone who installs their games direct onto the drive (so, c:/myth2.exe ) deserves anything they get

iirc it wrecked your drive if installed to c:\myth2\myth2.exe instead of c:\games\myth2\myth2.exe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Mordja posted:

Yeah, the combat in the Van Helsing games was really pretty unsatisfying.

Ugh, I want to like these games SO MUCH, but the devs just completely ruined what little fun there was to be had when they split the 3 good classes from 1/2 into 6 awful ones for 3/Final Cut. Like it wasn't great before, but at least you could build your characters in different ways. Now at least half the classes are super gimmicky; if you pick Constructor for ex. you better like being a pure summoner or your SOL.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tangledeep has lady characters in it.

Part of me is all :sigh:

The rest of me is all "yesss you finally get to feel what I feel as a girl when I want to be a lady in a game when they assume men are the "default" choice"

but can you imagine not buying a game purely because it doesn't have characters in it who look like you?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

StrixNebulosa posted:

but can you imagine not buying a game purely because it doesn't have characters in it who look like you?

if this was my litmus then i couldn't play video games

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

there's a strange number of people who think it's "weird" to be different sex in a game where you already play as someone who murders hundreds of people every day for a living, which is a considerably larger difference between you and your character than what's between your legs

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Someone please mod slime rancher so I'm not playing as a black girl.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

If you die in the game, you die in real life.

Same goes for having a cooter.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

If you die in the game, you die in real life.

Same goes for having a cooter.

....uh oh. What happens if I die 20+ times in Tangledeep? Am I super dead now? :ohdear:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Man, Myth was a brutal, heartless monster of the game. Looking forward to the day Bungie returns to that franchise. :v:

I remember when I couldn't get past Soulblighter in the final mission where you have to chuck the head of Balor into a hole. So my plan was to have dwarves set up explosive charges around the head, then launch it into the hole. It took a number of tries, but blammo! I got it in!

... the game did not think that counted as legit, sadly.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Digirat posted:

there's a strange number of people who think it's "weird" to be different sex in a game where you already play as someone who murders hundreds of people every day for a living, which is a considerably larger difference between you and your character than what's between your legs

I don't give a gently caress if the character is good, and other people should feel this way.

I'd like to point out that if given the choice, I have never played as a female character.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well count me as pleasantly surprised that in Dungeonmans, I've the option of playing as a Lady Dungeonman.

(the initial sprite selection suuuucks tho!)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Well count me as pleasantly surprised that in Dungeonmans, I've the option of playing as a Lady Dungeonman.

(the initial sprite selection suuuucks tho!)

I like the base sprites, but if you don't it's easy to mod in others - there's a zelda pack, and others.

Also, I love love LOVE that your choice of gender (dude/lady/beast/who cares?) isn't affected by your sprite, so if you want to be a musclebound shirtless Thor of a sprite and be a lady, that's coo'

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'd like to point out that if given the choice, I have never played as a female character.

For me, if the game doesn't have voice acting, I usually play as a dude, but if it does, lady all the way because 99% of the time dudettes have better voice acting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I like the base sprites, but if you don't it's easy to mod in others - there's a zelda pack, and others.

Also, I love love LOVE that your choice of gender (dude/lady/beast/who cares?) isn't affected by your sprite, so if you want to be a musclebound shirtless Thor of a sprite and be a lady, that's coo'

I meant that there's so very very few base sprites, not that the base sprites bad. :v:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

iirc it wrecked your drive if installed to c:\myth2\myth2.exe instead of c:\games\myth2\myth2.exe

I did some brief research and I think it was direct in c. Makes sense, if what they did was just delete everything in the install directory.
Either way, an entertaining pr nightmare

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
For people with multiple drives.

I have Steam set up on drive C://. I also have separate games drives on D and E.

I want to reformat C because ehhhh. But this'll obviously wipe my Steam directory. Will this also uninstall all the games on D and E ( like it does for it's own drive when you uninstall Steam. )? Or will they be fine.

Will reinstalling Steam just cause it to detect the D and E drives and start working automatically again?

Do I just need to transfer my Steam folder off of C, just containing everything but the steamapps folder so it will fit on my D/E drive?

I'd rather not have to reinstall 5 terrabytes of games if I didn't have to.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

deep dish peat moss posted:

I posted earlier about Tangledeep when I was just a few hours in and it was crashing a lot, but the crashing has been fixed so here's an updated post after ~5 hours of crashless gameplay.

It's a good, classical roguelike.

Pros:
Looks and sounds fantastic. Lots of devs shoot for the 16-bit aesthetic and they generally think that just means "pixel art" but it's pretty clear that whoever did the art for Tangledeep actually understands what made 16-bit art work. I used to do pixel art as a teenager and spent a lot of time in the big pixelart communities like Pixelation and it's just really refreshing to see this all handled in a way that it would have been handled in the 16 bit era. No subpixels, very little tweening in the animations (the only ones I can think of are maybe the turtle dude in camp, or when enemies 'jump' at you and their sprite rotates around, but actually those might not be tweened at all), the animations seem to be legit hand-drawn for each frame. Just really cool stuff here.

FFT job system allows for a lot of customization, you can change classes for money (or with a consumable) at any time, learn new skills, then change classes again and keep using those skills.

Limited healing (you can't infinitely farm healing consumables or gold to buy healing in town and no ability to just rest for health/energy/stamina) makes you think about every action you take. After I got over never feeling really 'safe' I started to like this. It's not even about always using your defensive abilities or anything because you have to manage your resources the same way you manage health.

I'm usually pretty impatient in Roguelikes and die a lot to things like bumping several times in a row without paying attention to the combat log, but telegraphed attacks by enemies and the scarcity of resources has me taking it easy here, and the pacing is fast enough that taking it slow isn't bothering me.

Some cool branching dungeons where you get multiple choices of where to go next after taking out a boss.

Devs are super fast about responding to bug reports. I reported one in Discord and a new Steam build was pushed out to fix it less than 5 minutes after it was seen. They're also really active and receptive in Discord in general.

Only minor progression between runs means the game doesn't just become easier as time goes on, but there's still a little something so a dead character doesn't feel like a waste. You can store items for future characters and you can plant trees that will provide them with food in town.

Classes in general are interesting and do cool things, like the Spellshaper that uses different abilities to shape the AoE or modify the effects of the element he wants to cast, or the HuSyn that plays sort of like Orianna from League of Legends but in a roguelike.

Cons:

Still needs some balancing work, but that's just about every Roguelike

The limited resources mean it is possible to fall into no-win situations.

Classes aren't fully fleshed out yet, you run out of things to spend JP on unless you change classes.

Resource management can be a pain and feel like you're hitting a brick wall sometimes.

Consensus:

A good traditional roguelike and there aren't enough of those coming out.

Thanks for this great write-up. Sounds like it's definitely my style. Is there a firm release date they are shooting for, or are they one of those "whenever it's done" developers? Tangledeep should scratch the traditional roguelike itch until Stoneshard comes out.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Digirat posted:

I think "weird" is probably being polite. Some people have genuine melt-downs that they're forced to play as the gender they're not. Sorry - clarification - men(children) have melt-downs when they're forced to play women, while I imagine most women just sigh in exasperated resignation yet again when a game has only male avatar variations. And without even wanting to go there, this is separate again from the loving completely unhinged email I got from a "friend" (As I slowly try to distance myself from him) when the new GTA IV expansion title was simply announced back then.

awesmoe posted:

I did some brief research and I think it was direct in c. Makes sense, if what they did was just delete everything in the install directory.
Either way, an entertaining pr nightmare

I just don't understand how they managed this one. The Pools of Radiance one makes sense, it hosed up only if you installed it anywhere but default (which I presume was Program Files, and who installs games there) so I'm guessing the uninstaller just worked with the terrible logic of "keep going up a directory until we're in Program Files, or after X attempts at going up a directory" at which point it just went "Well, we're probably in the right place" and then "If I can't find a PoolsOfRadiance directory, we can just start burning everything to the ground from here". Okay maybe that doesn't make complete sense but still, Myth 2 deleting your root directory if you installed to C:\Myth2 instead of C:\Games\Myth2 implies that it would have deleted all your other games as well even if installed into C:\Games\Myth2. I can't work this one out, outside of HOW DARE YOU INSTALL SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN WHERE I SUGGEST, FOR THIS YOU SHALL PAY WITH YOUR FILES HAHAHAHA <- presumed actual uninstaller AI quote.

markgreyam posted:

Sorry to interrupt but this will help me and you; for people considering Vermintide

It's oddly challenging to offload a Vermintide CE key for $7, so trying again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Thanks for this great write-up. Sounds like it's definitely my style. Is there a firm release date they are shooting for, or are they one of those "whenever it's done" developers? Tangledeep should scratch the traditional roguelike itch until Stoneshard comes out.

From the kickstarter:

And here's the roadmap.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

markgreyam posted:

It's oddly challenging to offload a Vermintide CE key for $7, so trying again.

if you have two, i might take them for twice that :v:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Rookersh posted:

I'd rather not have to reinstall 5 terrabytes of games if I didn't have to.

I'm sorry I can't help answer your question, but have you considered having less games installed at once?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Rookersh posted:

For people with multiple drives.

I'll get beaten here but whatever. Nothing other than uninstalling a game through Steam will uninstall a game installed by Steam. Steam won't care about your games if you uninstall Steam or format the drive that Steam is installed to.

If you preserve the Steam directory sans game data and then copy it back post-format, you should be fine from a Steam point of view because Steam is actually pretty good at rebuilding itself if even you've just started the .exe in a directory. Maybe the odd game will have something system-related it did to C: during installation but I imagine that would sort itself out pretty quickly, or worst case if you copy the game data away, uninstall, copy the game data back, reinstall for those (hopefully) few games.

I'd be more inclined to point out that you need to make sure you preserve your C:\Users\<username>\AppData directory because otherwise you'll lose all your saves/configs for the majority of games.

E: Only beaten by :downs:

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 22, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4-0gQ78M58

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Owlboy is real pretty, but man does everyone bagging on Otis get old.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I'm sorry I can't help answer your question, but have you considered having less games installed at once?

What the gently caress kind of sick motherfucker are you?

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

StrixNebulosa posted:

From the kickstarter:

And here's the roadmap.

Ahhh, the old crowdfunding/EA trick of leaving out the year.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Rookersh posted:

FOOD: $200
DATA: $150
RENT: $800
GAMES: $3600
UTILITY: $150

someone who is good at economy help me budget this. my family is dying

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

spend less on games

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Don't play blitzkreig 3, especially if you have a spotty internet connection.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Azran posted:

I watched a friend play up to the ninth mission of Children of Zodiarcs (mostly because I'm real wary of games that try to emulate Ogre Tactics and/or FFT so I wasn't going to drop cash on it without seeing it in action) and here are my impressions.

Great info, thanks! Looks like Regalia and Voidspire/Alvora Tactics is still the waynto go then.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Gomi Day posted:

dream daddy is pretty good, fellas.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

First thought: drat, that 'all-time peak' sure is loving something.

Second thought: holy poo poo less then 200 people played this free moba at the same time today

How is it not cancelled yet? It can't be making them more then the server costs at this point, right? Is it just 'we put so much time and effort into this, it has to succeed'?

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 22, 2017

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The same logic that has Randy insisting it's a free trial and not free to play, since that was defined as a failure state for the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

What website gives this information?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xander77 posted:

Far Cry 4 Brotherhood impressions:

Best part of Farcry 4 is that literally every single main mission makes you choose between the two resistance leaders, and regardless of which one you side with you find out after that they're using the victory in order to achieve something utterly despicable/horrible. Like the male resistance guy is some hosed up pedophile or something, and the woman believes in bringing back slavery. It's loving ridiculous.

Gameplay is a blast though, same deal as Farcry 3 where the story was batshit stupid but it was a ton of fun to just play around in the world.

Edit: added spoiler tags because I'm an idiot.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 22, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SirSamVimes posted:

What website gives this information?

That's from steamcharts.com. Steamspy.com also has a bunch of stats about steam games.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Jerusalem posted:

Best part of Farcry 4 is that literally every single main mission makes you choose between the two resistance leaders, and regardless of which one you side with you find out after that they're using the victory in order to achieve something utterly despicable/horrible. Like the male resistance guy is some hosed up pedophile or something, and the woman believes in bringing back slavery. It's loving ridiculous.

Gameplay is a blast though, same deal as Farcry 3 where the story was batshit stupid but it was a ton of fun to just play around in the world.

I don't think it was quite pedophilia but the guy wants to turn the country into theocratic despotism (by using the young girl who's been selected at birth to be a religious symbol, like the Dalai Lama, as a figurehead) and the woman wants to make it a totalitarian-capitalist narco-state (and kill said religious symbol). Both regimes involve loads of purging people and conscripting the rest.

It's basically stretching the "tradition vs. modernity" axis into absurdity with a heap of "maybe the good guys are actually the bad guys?!"

It's depressingly nihilistic yet somehow contrives to be pro-authoritarian, because just sitting at Pagan Min's dinner table and letting him run the country is ultimately the least lovely solution.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It makes me really fear what kind of disaster Far Cry 5 will be.

It seems to really want to have its cake but eat it too by making the enemies a crazy murderous American cult that uses the cross while also pushing that they aren't Christian...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't you just kill everyone? I mean, that is what the game is about...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

anilEhilated posted:

Can't you just kill everyone? I mean, that is what the game is about...

I think you can only kill them after you complete the main plot (which involves killing one of them to let the other consolidate their power) but even if you do that, NPCs still talk about the gameworld as if the current leader is still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mokinokaro posted:

It makes me really fear what kind of disaster Far Cry 5 will be.

I'm ready to embrace it

• Locked thread