Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
A day of rage is definitely in the cards tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Yep.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Up to 3 killed now. Apparently a ton injured.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/07/al-aqsa-palestinian-killed-jerusalem-protests-rage-170721113840496.html

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/NadavPollak/status/888475311020662784

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Three settlers in halamish killed in a knife attack - http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4992609,00.html

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Three settlers in halamish killed in a knife attack - http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4992609,00.html

I hope Israel will crack down on these terrorist attacks and especially everyone who supports them.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

I hope Israel will crack down on these terrorist attacks and especially everyone who supports them.

I hope the settlers get thrown into the Mediterranean but we can't all get what we want.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Fiction posted:

I hope the settlers get thrown into the Mediterranean but we can't all get what we want.

Throwing every arab in Palestine into sea might cause some environmental catastrophe.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fiction posted:

Oh come on.

I want them to become citizens of and fall under the jurisdiction of Palestine in a two state solution. :3:

I mean, it's not my TOP choice (that's probably a one state solution mediated by unicorns and fairy dust), but it's at least one that's more compatible with the rule of law and international norms than the current situation.

Edit: although I guess throwing them into the Mediterranean is a solid example of nonlethal ethnic cleansing since they can just wade back to the Israeli shore

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would say it's a good sign that the PLO is at least going to do SOMETHING.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would say it's a good sign that the PLO is at least going to do SOMETHING.
Nope. They trot out that line every other crisis and just relegate communication to back channels.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Disinterested posted:

It doesn't particularly matter since two divided peoples in two divided states is the will of the majority of both ethnic groups. The terms of that arrangement are at issue, along with the question of how to ever get Israel to actually bring it about.

This used to be the will of the majority of both ethnic groups. Then 1967 happened and one ethnic group realized they had the power to have both states for themselves.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

GaussianCopula posted:

Selective outrage is a hell of a drug

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

https://youtu.be/6Ejga4kJUts

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

qkkl posted:

This used to be the will of the majority of both ethnic groups. Then 1967 happened and one ethnic group realized they had the power to have both states for themselves.

Did you read the exchange in which that post was a part.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

qkkl posted:

If this applies to anyone it's the Palestinians, given that the central demand of BDS is the end of Israel.

If we look at the current firestorm, what's happening is that the presence of metal detectors in the immediate aftermath of a shooting is seen as unacceptable. Eventually they'll figure something out, and I think Abbas knows well that ending security cooperation will accomplish nothing accept kill a lot of Palestinians, and that acceleration is the same idiotic logic that got us Donald Trump. Meanwhile, the literal Waqf position is that the site is Muslim only, and all non-Muslims should be forbidden. Who's the one who loves Apartheid again?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Kim Jong Il posted:

If this applies to anyone it's the Palestinians, given that the central demand of BDS is the end of Israel.
Just because rabid anti-Palestinian folk keep repeating this doesn't mean it's true.

The BDS movement is multi-faceted and without figurehead. I support it strongly, yet I, like most of who believe that international pressure must be applied to Israel in order to end its occupation rather than its existence. Do some anti-Semites latch onto these otherwise valiant efforts against the oppressor to further their own goals? Sure, and they are contemptible.

No more than you, however—your consistent resort to such a strawman of your opponents' position is despicable. You might merely be indoctrinated into such fear that you believe any lie is justified if it serves to safeguard the occupation or you generally harbor hatred against the Palestinian people in your heart. Given your persistence, I'd wager the latter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

Who's the one who loves Apartheid again?

This is the sort of opinion that's hosed up to the extent that it's almost beyond comment. On one hand you have Actual Apartheid resulting in huge amounts of suffering and death, and on the other you have a holy site being restricted in a way that may be wrong but isn't causing actual material harm (and it's not like Israel couldn't force a change if they wanted, as they did with the current restrictions/metal detectors).

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I think a lot of people are uncomfortable with boycotts of Israel not because "the europeans are boycotting jewish businesses" but because "the europeans are boycotting jewish businesses again."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

If we look at the current firestorm, what's happening is that the presence of metal detectors in the immediate aftermath of a shooting is seen as unacceptable. Eventually they'll figure something out, and I think Abbas knows well that ending security cooperation will accomplish nothing accept kill a lot of Palestinians, and that acceleration is the same idiotic logic that got us Donald Trump. Meanwhile, the literal Waqf position is that the site is Muslim only, and all non-Muslims should be forbidden. Who's the one who loves Apartheid again?

It's me, I loving love Apartheid. Love it.

The Democrat power establishment has not figured out that slavish support for Israel isn't winning them right-wingers and is deteriorating the faith of their actual supporters. Hence this totally unnecessary boycott law. If it's not the Kill the Palestinians with Bulldozers bill it's not going to get them traction with anyone.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

hakimashou posted:

I think a lot of people are uncomfortable with boycotts of Israel not because "the europeans are boycotting jewish businesses" but because "the europeans are boycotting jewish businesses again."

Woah, this is gonna be really embarrassing for you but someone has to break the news.

Not all Jewish people are Israeli. And since Israel surely isn't some kind of colonial apartheid state...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

hakimashou posted:

Lol AIPAC is working to make boycotting Israel a Federal felony in the us, punishable by up to 20 years in prison. The bill has bipartisan support including from big names like Chuck Schumer

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Lol AIPAC is working to make boycotting Israel a Federal felony in the us, punishable by up to 20 years in prison. The bill has bipartisan support including from big names like Chuck Schumer

If you believe that's ever going to happen I've got a bridge to sell you.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

hakimashou posted:

If you believe that's ever going to happen I've got a bridge to sell you.

It's not a question of boycotting Israel already being criminalized in specific instances: a ban is already in place with regards to boycotting Israel at the behest of a foreign nation. This simply adds language that makes it illegal to do so for NGOs like the UN or EU, which BDS falls under, as well as adding associated jail time and fines. As far as the likelihood of the bill passing, it has support from half the House and half the Senate from both parties.

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 22, 2017

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
In addition to not targeting jewish owned business outside Israel, not every business targeted by BDS is even owned by jewish people, there's quite a lot of corporations that do business in Israel.

Also trying to pretend a boycott is nazism reborn with the current state of Gaza, the doubling down on West Bank settlements and Israeli manoeuvers on the northern border is incredibly disgusting.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hakimashou posted:

I can assure you that Jewish people do not need you to champion them in the form of conflating them with Israel. If anything, it is really irritating having a bunch of other people (who often aren't even Jewish themselves) convincing the public that Israeli and Jewish interests overlap, because it's not exactly fun having to worry that other people are assuming that you must share the same morally dubious opinions as the state of Israel just because of your ethnicity.

edit: And while there's a non-negligible amount of antisemitism that latches onto the anti-Zionist cause, it's generally very easy to recognize (from looking at the general language a person uses, etc), which further eliminates the need to conflate two things that are fundamentally independent of one another (opposition to Israeli actions and antisemitism).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 22, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The interests of the israeli government don't overlap with those of the israeli people.

I support boycotting Israel as a means to pressure the Israeli government to act in the best interests of the Israeli citizenry, first and foremost.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Kim Jong Il posted:

A claim you constantly make but never prove. Is it obvious to yourself that you are incredibly disingenuous when you say stuff like this?

It is easy to check what BDS's demands actually are, which are Israel:

1. Ending its occupation and colonization of all Arab lands and dismantling the Wall
2. Recognizing the fundamental rights of the Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel to full equality; and
3. Respecting, protecting and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in UN resolution 194.

Oh no, Israel respecting the rights of Palestinians! The horror!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

hakimashou posted:

I give 0 fucks whether or not an Israeli business is run by Jews.

Instead what is happening is "the Europeans are boycotting Apartheid businesses again".

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

team overhead smash posted:

A claim you constantly make but never prove. Is it obvious to yourself that you are incredibly disingenuous when you say stuff like this?

It is easy to check what BDS's demands actually are, which are Israel:

1. Ending its occupation and colonization of all Arab lands and dismantling the Wall
2. Recognizing the fundamental rights of the Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel to full equality; and
3. Respecting, protecting and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in UN resolution 194.

So does the BDS movement request the Arab countries to respect the rights of Jews?

It's a stupid campaign that will not solve anything, because everyone knows that Israel can and will not accept those demands, especially a right of return on the basis of resolution 194, especially since somehow Palestinians can inherit refugee status (no other group does this). Instead of working to a peaceful solution (e.g. integrating Palestine refugees into other Arab countries, like Germany and Poland did with their displaced people after WW2) they keep the Palestine people as pawns in their anti Semitic campaign, which only serves Middle Eastern autocrats to have an enemy they can beat up on (rhetorically, every time they tried to do it militarily they got kicked in the nuts).

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Yeah it's hosed that those people who've never lived in Palestine could '''''return''' there

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Yeah it's hosed that those people who've never lived in Palestine could '''''return''' there

You mean like Poles into Silesia?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

team overhead smash posted:

"This but non-ironically" is the case for 100% of the Israel supporters in this thread and anywhere.

GaussianCopula posted:

So does the BDS movement request the Arab countries to respect the rights of Jews?

Feel free to start your own BDS campaign for this separate issue.

GaussianCopula posted:

It's a stupid campaign that will not solve anything, because everyone knows that Israel can and will not accept those demands

"Militating against injustice is stupid because the criminals can and will get away with their crimes anyway."

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

It's a stupid campaign that will not solve anything, because everyone knows that Israel can and will not accept those demands, especially a right of return on the basis of resolution 194, especially since somehow Palestinians can inherit refugee status (no other group does this). Instead of working to a peaceful solution (e.g. integrating Palestine refugees into other Arab countries, like Germany and Poland did with their displaced people after WW2) they keep the Palestine people as pawns in their anti Semitic campaign, which only serves Middle Eastern autocrats to have an enemy they can beat up on (rhetorically, every time they tried to do it militarily they got kicked in the nuts).

Its not like Israel or any other nation would ever respect some sort of 'birthright' to return to where one's kin is from

No sirree, no precedent for that anywhere at all nope

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

Its not like Israel or any other nation would ever respect some sort of 'birthright' to return to where one's kin is from

No sirree, no precedent for that anywhere at all nope

So, just that I understand this, there is no birthright for Israelis, Germans, Poles (or any other displaced people after several wars) but for the Palestinians there is because ~reasons~?

People need to realize that it's 2017 and not 1948, which means certain realities need to be accepted.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

GaussianCopula posted:

So, just that I understand this, there is no birthright for Israelis, Germans, Poles (or any other displaced people after several wars) but for the Palestinians there is because ~reasons~?

People need to realize that it's 2017 and not 1948, which means certain realities need to be accepted.

yeah i'm just gonna need you to actually read up on poo poo before you talk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_return

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The reality being that if my family has lived in Buenos Aires for 200 years but I'm Jewish I have a right to return but if my parents were driven out of Palestine in 48 I just have to deal with it. This is the right, just, grown-up position.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

botany posted:

yeah i'm just gonna need you to actually read up on poo poo before you talk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_return

Obviously Palestinians would have the right to return to their state - the Palestinian state. What BDS demands is a right to return for them into Israel, a state which the party supported by a majority of Palestinians in Gaza does not accept and wants to eradicate.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
It's not really a return if you don't go back to where you lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

GaussianCopula posted:

Obviously Palestinians would have the right to return to their state - the Palestinian state. What BDS demands is a right to return for them into Israel, a state which the party supported by a majority of Palestinians in Gaza does not accept and wants to eradicate.

A right to return to a nonexisting place. How wonderful.