Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Interesting that relics have no point costs associated. I guess they figured since everyone takes one anyway, might as well make it baseline.

Hope this means every army gets something comparable. Even if it means Tyranids get something weird like Prime Morphs. Then again, I hoped the same for the Psychic phase, so who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Also, I'm thinking that company champions might be way more viable now. You can take one and replace the combat shield with Shield Eternal. For 70 points that's a pretty incredible model, or 96 on a bike.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I have been working on a project for the last month. I want to build a modular two tier gothic hive city board. The end will have 6 2'x2' squares which can be set up in different ways for each game. Today I got 95% done with the first square!

There will be a stair case where there is a gap in the wall on the L shaped building but haven't finished making the mold for it yet. I am thinking I will hang banners of different space marine chapters from some of the walls to give it a little more color.

Just wanted to point out how loving rad this is. How did you build it? Just styrofoam blocks and Lego windows?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So people are saying marine troops get Obsec again in the codex.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

chutche2 posted:

They talked about that on the warhammer twitch channel a week or so ago, yeah they do.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Good news for anyone who doesn't like the Dread's beer gut. It's removable.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Black_Nexus posted:

They talked about that on the warhammer twitch channel a week or so ago, yeah they do.

Definitely think it's a good idea. Tac marines seem a little pricey compared to other troop options so it can be difficult to outnumber enemies on an objective.

edit: oh, neat. So 1 in 5 intercessors can take a 30 inch grenade launcher, and they can swap their bolt rifles out for 36 inch S4 AP-2 heavy 1 stalker bolt rifles.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 22, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Is it just me or does most of the Primaris stuff seem to be great at clearing infantry but mostly not that useful against vehicles? Lots of high RoF S4-S5 shooting or fast CC options, not so much with the high strength stuff (outside of plasma).

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Corrode posted:

Is it just me or does most of the Primaris stuff seem to be great at clearing infantry but mostly not that useful against vehicles? Lots of high RoF S4-S5 shooting or fast CC options, not so much with the high strength stuff (outside of plasma).

Yeah, it might be intended that you use marinelets or marinelet vehicles to bust tanks with. Repulsor can sling some lascannons though. And the redemptor can waddle walk up and fistfuck things.

Going to try running my successor chapter as primaris-only but I might end up throwing in some stormtalons for fire support. And probably lean on redemptors heavily.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 22, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
The Dread seems to be buildable as a heavy machine, and Primaris have plenty of plasma to go around. Disappointing lack of las or melta weapons, though.

Is it all Power Sword and Power Fist for Primaris? The latter can at least make a solid impact on vehicles, and the Captain, Agressors, and Dread are packing those.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 22, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

The Dread seems to be buildable as a heavy machine, and Primaris have plenty of plasma to go around. Disappointing lack of las or melta weapons, though.

There's a lot of plasma yeah but plasma doesn't really do much damage. At BS3+ it takes 12 overcharged plasma shots to kill a rhino. You've got to hope for really nice rerolls from the captain and LT. Plasma's great for trashing multiwound infantry but against vehicles and MCs you really need a few las or meltas in the list. Or to fistfuck them with a dreadnought.

Really the answer is to drop 180 points on a trio of twin lascannon tarantulas but most places already ban forgeworld.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

There's a lot of plasma yeah but plasma doesn't really do much damage. At BS3+ it takes 12 overcharged plasma shots to kill a rhino. You've got to hope for really nice rerolls from the captain and LT. Plasma's great for trashing multiwound infantry but against vehicles and MCs you really need a few las or meltas in the list. Or to fistfuck them with a dreadnought.

Really the answer is to drop 180 points on a trio of twin lascannon tarantulas but most places already ban forgeworld.

So the edit I just made is right, and it's going to come down to playing punch-out with vehicles. As someone who very much enjoys Power Fists I do not entirely mind this.

How do the new Heavy Plasmas compare?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

So the edit I just made is right, and it's going to come down to playing punch-out with vehicles. As someone who very much enjoys Power Fists I do not entirely mind this.

How do the new Heavy Plasmas compare?

The redemptor's heavy plasma is +1 str over a regular plasma and heavy d6, but the same 1 or 2 damage. If overcharging you'll wound T8 vehicles better than a regular plasma, and it's AP-4 like all primaris plasma so 3+ vehicles don't save it, but you're still needing to get a lot of 3+ or 4+ hits and 3+ wounds to plink away at 2 damage. Hellblaster have the same thing as an option at heavy 1 instead of d6. S8/S9 is pretty nice for plasma though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Appearntly this also has a fairly interesting fluff reason. It's so Cawl's Techpriest followers can remove the and insert new boxes easily. As unlike the Marines, they see the Marine inside the box as the least important part. As the Redemptor has a flaw in that extended use tends to kill the Box occupant after some time. So Cawl and his Marines see the boxs more as batteries for the Dreadnoughts.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

They seem to be pretty exclusively tanky mid range generalists, nothing longer than 36" range, only things with higher than d3 damage are a Las kitted repulsor and the redemptor fist.

I was rather hoping for krak on aggressors but I think I'll grab some Las and missile centurions for fire support to cover that.

A full squad of aggressors throwing out an average of like 114 shots when stationary is rather nice though.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Can't you take twin lascannon on dreads anymore? The option is not in the index.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

HardCoil posted:

Can't you take twin lascannon on dreads anymore? The option is not in the index.

Yes it is. You can swap the assault cannon for anything in the Dreadnought Heavy Weapons list, and the twin las is in there.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So I played the first 2 games in out little escalation league last night. Good fun. Used Imperial Guard in a Brigade detachment of all infantry except for 3 scout sentinels. These were both 1000 pts.

I wiped out a Tyranid force at the bottom of round 3, a furious match. I can't claim too much credit though, because my opponent failed a 5" charge in turn 2 that would have been game-changing, and frankly I think my army concept is stronger than his. He's got a Trygon, a Mawloc, 2 big Genestealer units, a Broodlord and 2 Tyranid Warrior units. He brought in all his reserves turn 1 (1 stealer unit in with the Trygon) and basically had guaranteed turn 2 charges. But he left the Tyranid Warriors back on objectives, which since we were playing an Eternal War mission, I think is a big mistake. They would have been better shooting up my infantry and threatening assaults with his main force. Games can go to a wipeout really loving quickly in 8th, because everyone is exactly where they want to be by turn 2, at least with the armies we've been using.

My 2 new lascannon heavy weapon squads did great work against his Trygon and Mawloc in that game, taking them out turn 1 with a little help from other units. Mawloc seems absolute pants, at least against a cheap army like mine. A few mortal wounds for the near certainty of getting your face shot off in the next turn?

Next was a game of the Relic, against Adeptus Mechanicus. Now this army is loving horrible. Guy has taken a Spearhead Detachment for his list. So 2 Dunecrawlers, a pair of Kastelan robots, supported by lighter stuff. I hid my vulnerable, fragile firepower units and left the infantry out, knowing he could go first. He saw this and chose to go second. Canny. I brought my heavy weapons out and unloaded on him. Poor BS, bad luck, and some great invulnerable saves on his part meant I did light damage to 1 dunecrawler, nothing else at all! Even the vaunted Scion drop attack bounced off those drat saves. His army seems loving invincible in a straight shooting match. However first turn did mean I was able to put my Conscripts into action. Using the Move Move Move order, ie move and advance in your shooting phase, I was able to seize the Relic in turn 1.

Now my opponent had to kill 31 Conscripts to get the Relic back. They absorbed a charge from Electro-Priests and a Dragoon (I was able to fall back and finish them with orders) whilst my firepower units were surgically annihilated by heavy shooting and I threw the rest of the infantry forwards to hold up the enemy advance. While I move-moved the Conscripts back into the furthest corner. By Round 5, he'd wiped most of my force, almost all his light stuff (infantry etc) was dead, but the heavy robots, notably the Kastelans, were starting to come into effective range of the remaining 15 or so Conscripts. By using a command point re-roll, I was able to end the game on round 5. Scored a major victory since I held the Relic. Phew!

I feel completely outmatched by that army in a shooting war. As I described, the Onager Dunecrawlers absorbed fire (I could have taken one out with a bit more luck) and remove heavy weapon squads from the board effortlessly. Ditto Kastelans, who are a bigger problem because to tie them up in assault you have to brave the heavy-flamer overwatch. I did so at one point in that game; he rolled 10 autohits on 2d6 and nearly wiped the squad. Their mortal-wound-reflecting invulnerable save is also so frustrating - it's basically a coin flip of killing your own men if you shoot them with any high-ap weapon, and my guys don't have 6 wounds each and an auto-repairing character! At least my numbers let me survive the game and overwhelm his units which would have been more flexible at holding objectives/clearing my infantry away.

So 2 wins for 2 games in the league so far! Adeptus Mechanicus player is actually 0 for 3 - despite coming super close to wiping his opponent in each game he's played, he also lost on objectives each time! Obviously an achilles' heel for his army. Necrons went 2 for 2 as well, they beat AM on objectives as mentioned, and wiped Tyranids similarly to my result. Tyranids are 1 for 3. The missing link in the equation is our Ork player. He is a bit of a flake and has cancelled 3 separate attempts to play him this week. Interested to pin him down for a game - he's playing a horde list, I haven't faced Orks yet this edition, and my starting list doesn't have any flamers!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Corrode posted:

Yes it is. You can swap the assault cannon for anything in the Dreadnought Heavy Weapons list, and the twin las is in there.

Ok, weird, I must have looked in the wrong list or something. Thanks.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Genghis Cohen posted:

So I played the first 2 games in out little escalation league last night. Good fun. Used Imperial Guard in a Brigade detachment of all infantry except for 3 scout sentinels. These were both 1000 pts.

I wiped out a Tyranid force at the bottom of round 3, a furious match. I can't claim too much credit though, because my opponent failed a 5" charge in turn 2 that would have been game-changing, and frankly I think my army concept is stronger than his. He's got a Trygon, a Mawloc, 2 big Genestealer units, a Broodlord and 2 Tyranid Warrior units. He brought in all his reserves turn 1 (1 stealer unit in with the Trygon) and basically had guaranteed turn 2 charges. But he left the Tyranid Warriors back on objectives, which since we were playing an Eternal War mission, I think is a big mistake. They would have been better shooting up my infantry and threatening assaults with his main force. Games can go to a wipeout really loving quickly in 8th, because everyone is exactly where they want to be by turn 2, at least with the armies we've been using.

My 2 new lascannon heavy weapon squads did great work against his Trygon and Mawloc in that game, taking them out turn 1 with a little help from other units. Mawloc seems absolute pants, at least against a cheap army like mine. A few mortal wounds for the near certainty of getting your face shot off in the next turn?

Good work. Yeah the tyranid players here agree the mawloc is loving worthless, and that the more you dilute a tyranid list by adding bigstuff and warriors instead of more termagants and genestealers the weaker the list tends to be. Exocrines and tervigons are fine too, but the further you get away from a core of termagants and genestealers the worse most tyranid players seem to be doing. Every game I hear something like "That trygon would've been a lot better off replaced by more genestealers"

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 22, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I want to remake the third edition army list used in the nids vs tau battle report.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Winters has an in-depth look at the new codex here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpvAr9DRmgQ

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

MonsterEnvy posted:

Appearntly this also has a fairly interesting fluff reason. It's so Cawl's Techpriest followers can remove the and insert new boxes easily. As unlike the Marines, they see the Marine inside the box as the least important part. As the Redemptor has a flaw in that extended use tends to kill the Box occupant after some time. So Cawl and his Marines see the boxs more as batteries for the Dreadnoughts.

God, that's the most :Cawl!: thing. I absolutely love how him and his buddies legitimately do not give less of a gently caress. I can't wait to see what kinda mad science bullshit they justify in the new Mechanicus book. :allears:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Preorders are up. I'll have one of everything please.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

God, that's the most :Cawl!: thing. I absolutely love how him and his buddies legitimately do not give less of a gently caress. I can't wait to see what kinda mad science bullshit they justify in the new Mechanicus book. :allears:

I am also very much looking forward to this. Hopefully the rumors of some new releases is true.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Too bad the repulsor isn't in this wave, I want me a transport for my biglies dammit.

But yeah, one of everything please.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SteelMentor posted:

There should be a grimdark smilie for things like this.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

bonds0097 posted:

Too bad the repulsor isn't in this wave, I want me a transport for my biglies dammit.

But yeah, one of everything please.

I'm a bit disappointed the Repulsor is their dedicated transport. I was hoping for a cheaper Rhino-style option

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
According to the PDFs on the Pre-Order pages, Deathwatch can take all those new goodies.

I was gonna do some Bigly Celestial Lions, but Reivers are gonna look sick in Deathwatch colours.

Anyone who's got the snapfits reckon their right shoulders will be able to fit one of those 3Dprinted insignias on them?

OhDearGodNo posted:

There should be a grimdark smilie for things like this.

Agreed, surprised we haven't cooked one up already.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Ill be getting 2 of everything. I am glad the tank wont be out on this credit card billing cycle.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

JoshTheStampede posted:

Well SOMETHING is maintaining it.

Wasn't it maintained by the dying soulds of the millions of psykers the Inquisition round up and fed to the flames, or did that get retconned because it was to grim dark for the pacified good guy imperium that has lots of cool tech they are these days because gee dubs realised it sells more mary sues in armour?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Dreadnought looks disappointing, Aggressors look...all right. Reivers are gonna be crazy good and the Repulsor is too.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Wasn't it maintained by the dying soulds of the millions of psykers the Inquisition round up and fed to the flames, or did that get retconned because it was to grim dark for the pacified good guy imperium that has lots of cool tech they are these days because gee dubs realised it sells more mary sues in armour?

Have you even read the fluff for the rule book for 8th? Everything is so boned and screwed and it's wonderfully over the top. Half the galaxy is now dependent on dangerous and short distance warp jumps only. Cawl is only alive because Gulliman is his patron and protecting him. 88 hordes of Khorne assaulted Earth. Yes there's new technology, but in universe it's heretical and only a bit better than what they have currently and progress has been made from stealing tech from xenos races. Art work shows people dragging a giant skull by hand. Why? Who knows!

The Dark Imperium setting allows for you to have stories in parts of the galaxy that are more feudal, warped, divergent from the normal Imperium. There are more avenues for story telling than ever before - the galaxy is a big place and there's still lots of space for the old style Grimdark Imperium

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Pidgin Englishman posted:

lol the only thing more deranged than this stupid game's fluff are the people who get mad about it

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chutche2 posted:

Good work. Yeah the tyranid players here agree the mawloc is loving worthless, and that the more you dilute a tyranid list by adding bigstuff and warriors instead of more termagants and genestealers the weaker the list tends to be. Exocrines and tervigons are fine too, but the further you get away from a core of termagants and genestealers the worse most tyranid players seem to be doing. Every game I hear something like "That trygon would've been a lot better off replaced by more genestealers"

Yeah, Mawlocs, Biovores, and even Maleceptors aren't great (though biovores seem more usable), at least compared to dropping zoanthropes for your mortal wound needs. Carnifex are odd because they are less than 10 wounds, which is great. You would think more wounds are better, but given how damage drop off works they are actually effective til their last wound. Next army I take will be hordes of termies/hormies/genestealers with broodlords in the middle with a couple carnifex. Maybe something in a pod or a trygon for a distraction.

You would think the monsters would be tougher and on the whole they are against small arms, but anti-tank weapons can really take them out. With all the reroll bubbles armies can get and how cover is garbage it can be fairly easy to lose 9-12 wounds from a single unit of lascannons. Or that loving mechanicum walker. Add in the command point reroll and they are sitting ducks.

I'm also not looking forward to dealing with -1 to hit Raven Guard with any of the tyranid ranged options.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
So Intercessors can take Stalker Bolt Rifles (whole squad or just one per five?), but can they take Auto Bolt Rifles? Box mags > scopes.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I'm playing a 2500 pt. game with my Steel Legion against my friend Greg's Orks today! You can actually watch us play on his twitch stream: https://www.twitch.tv/greggles1

I hope everyone is having a fulfilling Saturday. God bless.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

chutche2 posted:

I didn't play 7th so maybe I'm dumb but doesn't everything have Obsec now?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I've been trying to come up with a Tyranid list that can specifically kill storm raven spam. Haven't come up with anything good yet. Most raven spam lists have 7 deployments, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to go second.

The two best things for killing Storm Ravens are Exocrines and Winged Hive Tyrants. A single Storm Raven has very good odds of killing a Hive Tyrant in one round of shooting, especially with Robby G backing it up. Every game I've played against Ravens with a Hive Tyrant, they have not survived long enough for them to get a turn. Exocrines have a good chance to survive a storm raven firing at it, but will more than likely be reduced to hitting on 6s.

Of the other units that can actually assault a storm raven, being Gargoyles, Shrikes, Crones and Harpies, none of them have even remotely the attack power to put any kind of damage on a storm raven. MAYBE shrikes with rending claws and toxin sacs.

I'm just not coming up with anything. I've asked other people for suggestions, and everyone just keeps coming back with running Imperial Guard alongside them to take scions and hyrdas. Well then I'm not using nids to beat it, am i? :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

LordAba posted:

Yeah, Mawlocs, Biovores, and even Maleceptors aren't great (though biovores seem more usable), at least compared to dropping zoanthropes for your mortal wound needs. Carnifex are odd because they are less than 10 wounds, which is great. You would think more wounds are better, but given how damage drop off works they are actually effective til their last wound. Next army I take will be hordes of termies/hormies/genestealers with broodlords in the middle with a couple carnifex. Maybe something in a pod or a trygon for a distraction.

You would think the monsters would be tougher and on the whole they are against small arms, but anti-tank weapons can really take them out. With all the reroll bubbles armies can get and how cover is garbage it can be fairly easy to lose 9-12 wounds from a single unit of lascannons. Or that loving mechanicum walker. Add in the command point reroll and they are sitting ducks.

I'm also not looking forward to dealing with -1 to hit Raven Guard with any of the tyranid ranged options.

Yeah, completely agree with that impression. I love saving my command reroll, if possible, for that d6 damage roll.