Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
4 years seems about right for batteries.

I’m going to guess those batteries are easy to replace and since Apple has taken so long to update the Air line, you can probably still get brand new OEM ones. MBA’s will be what radioactive giant cockroaches use in the post-Trump nuclear wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So I needed to borrow the monitor from my Mac Mini last night, and as soon as I unplugged the HDMI the speaker inside the thing went off like it was possessed, putting the PC speaker in my old 286 to shame. Any idea why it might've cared so much about losing the display? I shut it down and rebooted headless and all is fine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple didn't glue the batteries to the keyboard for the MacBook Air so yeah, even the one they sell currently can easily have its batteries replaced.

All MacBook Pros since 2013, though, have had their battery glued to the keyboard for some reason, so a battery change is also a top case/keyboard change.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

insidius posted:

A battery replacement in Australia is $289 AUD for the 15". I'll assume that in your region you will pay your standard price as per usual.

I do not yet know what I will receive, I am still awaiting my call to take payment. My friend went in as well with the non dedicated GPU unit from the time and received the following:

Mid spec 2016:

2.7 gb quad,16gb memory 512gb ssd and a 2gb Radeon card

I just got back from the Apple Store and they are doing a replacement for a same or better spec MacBook Pro. Super stoked. Thanks for posting!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Thoughts on colour changing your Mac? I quite fancy going gloss black but don't want to plasti dip because it looks poo poo and probably knackers the thermals and don't want to spray paint as it costs a fortune. Are vinyls a pain in the rear end?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
"Don't" is the main one.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Theophany posted:

Thoughts on colour changing your Mac? I quite fancy going gloss black but don't want to plasti dip because it looks poo poo and probably knackers the thermals and don't want to spray paint as it costs a fortune. Are vinyls a pain in the rear end?

Just get a dbrand skin

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Theophany posted:

Which model? The biggest hurdle is getting the display out of the top cover. Once all the bits are our and you just have the bare chassis you can do pretty much whatever to it and reassemble.

Didn't colorware used to paint stripped MBPs? I don't see that option anymore on their website.

I always thought it would be cool to get a MBP cerakoted but then the effort was too great.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone replaced a keyboard or trackpad on an A1278 (early 2011 13") MacBook Pro? Nephew spilled oj on it, works fine w/ wireless keyboard and mouse but lots of keys don't work and the trackpad only goes up/down now.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Shaocaholica posted:

Which model? The biggest hurdle is getting the display out of the top cover. Once all the bits are our and you just have the bare chassis you can do pretty much whatever to it and reassemble.

Didn't colorware used to paint stripped MBPs? I don't see that option anymore on their website.

I always thought it would be cool to get a MBP cerakoted but then the effort was too great.

They do skins now, sadly.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

LionArcher posted:

Just get a dbrand skin

Neat!

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah they did, but I can't see the option anywhere either. It's a mid-14 15"MBP and I really can't be arsed taking it to pieces until the battery needs replacing which at the current rate won't be for another 2-3 years!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What do you think the chances are that there would be a coffee lake imac refresh next year? A 6 core i5 would be pretty neat; I'd hate to buy an Imac now only for a leap forward like that to be just around the corner.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

What do you work with? May not be that big a leap.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Boiled Water posted:

What do you work with? May not be that big a leap.

Light VM stuff. Having 2-3 VMs running to practise networking/sysadmin stuff. And I thought about teaching myself to code using swift. Other than that just home user stuff and videogames.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Light VM stuff. Having 2-3 VMs running to practise networking/sysadmin stuff. And I thought about teaching myself to code using swift. Other than that just home user stuff and videogames.

there's nothing there that wouldn't be able to done pretty easily by one of the current models, though if you don't need the computer now might as well wait. they're generally pretty dece at updating the imacs

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I passed on the Macbook Air deal - the idea of going back to a non-IPS display is just too much for me.

I'm thinking about breaking and buying a non-touchbar rMBP though. I will be using it for CS classes, mostly with Java (Eclipse and Android Studio :suicide: ). I doubt the 8gb of RAM and 15w processor will cause any major issues, unless I'm overlooking something.

What I'm more concerned about is integrating into my current desktop setup. I use two Dell U2415 monitors, and it doesn't look like Macbooks support Display Port MST, so I will need to figure out a different way of hooking them up. I was thinking use an Apple type-C to HDMI/Type-C Power/USB-A adapter, hook one monitor, my power supply, and a USB hub to that, and then hook the remaining monitor up to the second display port. Will this work? Or will all of the garbage attached to that dongle cause problems? I know the proper solution is to buy a thunderbolt dock, but I really don't want to drop another $300 to get this poo poo working.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is the touch bar optional on both the 13 and 15 in all configurations?

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

Is the touch bar optional on both the 13 and 15 in all configurations?

There’s a non touch version for both, but I think the 15 is essentially just the 2015 MBP spec wise, 13” is likely similar.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

IuniusBrutus posted:

I'm thinking about breaking and buying a non-touchbar rMBP though. I will be using it for CS classes, mostly with Java (Eclipse and Android Studio :suicide: ). I doubt the 8gb of RAM and 15w processor will cause any major issues, unless I'm overlooking something.

If this was a job I would say you should quit it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

anathema72 posted:

There’s a non touch version for both, but I think the 15 is essentially just the 2015 MBP spec wise, 13” is likely similar.

The non-Touch Bar 15" is the 2015 model. The 13" model is the only one that offers the new design without the Touch Bar.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm kinda late to the party I guess on the new touchbar models but is Apple able to put Intels top tier mobile CPUs and whatever GPU into them being so thin?

Is there concern from the user base that the thinness is encroaching on performance?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yes they thermal throttle under synthetic loads but pretty much every high-powered ultra thin laptop does these days.

I don't like throttling-by-design but I'm a purist, people clearly appreciate the size/weight benefits to pay a premium for thin and light desktop replacements

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pivo posted:

people clearly appreciate the size/weight benefits to pay a premium for thin and light desktop replacements

I don't think a lot of people actually realize that systems can potentially throttle significantly due to heat. I fully believe most actually think the system remains unaffected performance-wise and that they're simply having to listen to a loud fan, instead of the reality that it's probably throttling AND has the fan at 100%.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone else miss the last gen keyboard? I'll have to check at home if the 2nd gen and 3rd gen keyboard mech is the same or similar but I know I like those.

Imagine how thin they could make the MacBooks if they just replaced the keyboard with a 'force' touchscreen :smuggo:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Anyone else miss the last gen keyboard?

Are we talking the BT keyboard or the rMBP keyboards?

The BT keyboard I have 1st (3 Batteries!) and 2nd get, but they are physically identical (minus the battery thing). I like it well enough, but I can't really compare it to the newer version. I now use a Logitech K811 with it being rechargeable and having multi device support.

As far the old style rMBP keyboards, I actually get a little irritated when I need to use my old laptop in the lab with it's mushy key action (this is at work, at home I use the afore mentioned K811).

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 23, 2017

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh haha. Talking about the MB keyboards.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

IuniusBrutus posted:

I passed on the Macbook Air deal - the idea of going back to a non-IPS display is just too much for me.

What I'm more concerned about is integrating into my current desktop setup. I use two Dell U2415 monitors, and it doesn't look like Macbooks support Display Port MST, so I will need to figure out a different way of hooking them up. I was thinking use an Apple type-C to HDMI/Type-C Power/USB-A adapter, hook one monitor, my power supply, and a USB hub to that, and then hook the remaining monitor up to the second display port. Will this work? Or will all of the garbage attached to that dongle cause problems? I know the proper solution is to buy a thunderbolt dock, but I really don't want to drop another $300 to get this poo poo working.

Don't get a Macbook for Java/Eclipse and dual monitors

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Has the MacBook Air line really been neglected? I mean, none of them have retina displays?

I was looking for a lightweight, low-end Mac laptop I can use in bed or on the couch for browsing the web, watching videos, and nonsense like that. Tablets just don't cut it. But I would appreciate a nice display.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

Has the MacBook Air line really been neglected? I mean, none of them have retina displays?

I was looking for a lightweight, low-end Mac laptop I can use in bed or on the couch for browsing the web, watching videos, and nonsense like that. Tablets just don't cut it. But I would appreciate a nice display.

The MacBook Air with Retina is just called the Macbook. It is the best laptop Apple makes and you find it starting at $1100.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Imagine the MBA with a keyboard made of rear end and missing the USB ports, Magsafe, the SD slot, and the 14 hour battery, and that's the 12" Macbook

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mu Zeta posted:

Imagine the MBA with a keyboard made of rear end and missing the USB ports, Magsafe, the SD slot, and the 14 hour battery, and that's the 12" Macbook
Any of the previous gens models use the thin design, with Retina display, and have those ports? I'm open to buying refurbished for this machine.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm very close to getting a 13" rMBP TB as my "all around" replacement laptop for my 2011 13" MBA. I don't do anything very intensive anymore, but I do tend to hold on to things for a while.

Is it worth upgrading the CPU at all? RAM to 16gb? SSD to 512?

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Any of the previous gens models use the thin design, with Retina display, and have those ports? I'm open to buying refurbished for this machine.

I'm afraid you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Edit - Get the MB. Ports are dead and gay anyway (okay, I'd get an adapter for regular USB devices for now).

I Am Crake fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 24, 2017

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Why wouldn't an iPad work for this purpose?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I've been using the same mid-2012 MBP 13" since I bought it (2.5 Ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD), and it still runs like a champ, but it struggles mightily when I'm working with very large files in Illustrator. 90% of the work this machine does is Photoshop & Illustrator -- no video editing. When I upgrade, can I meaningfully improve performance with a faster i5 or do i need to get something with the i7? All work is done on an external monitor, so Retina display is not important. (in other words, will a refurb 13" non-retina i7 give me most bang-for-the-buck -- hell, is there such a thing?)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lincoln posted:

I've been using the same mid-2012 MBP 13" since I bought it (2.5 Ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD), and it still runs like a champ, but it struggles mightily when I'm working with very large files in Illustrator. 90% of the work this machine does is Photoshop & Illustrator -- no video editing. When I upgrade, can I meaningfully improve performance with a faster i5 or do i need to get something with the i7? All work is done on an external monitor, so Retina display is not important. (in other words, will a refurb 13" non-retina i7 give me most bang-for-the-buck -- hell, is there such a thing?)

Are you hitting memory limit? Could be an illustrator issue that won't be meaningfully better with a 'faster' machine. Are you able to test it first?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Weedle posted:

Why wouldn't an iPad work for this purpose?

I'm not that poster, but my "loving around on the internet" involves a lot of typing and I haven't found a passable tablet keyboard cover.

Good news is there are many excellent Chromebooks from $300-500, some of which have excellent displays and perfectly decent keyboards. I also think that Apple could sell a ton of Air w/ 1080p IPS screens if they wanted to.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Mu Zeta posted:

This is exactly why I bought the 2017 MBA.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I know, it's a really good machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lincoln posted:

If you stick with a 13", going to an i7 is going to only improve performance by 10-12%

If you go with a 15" (and I'm assuming Photoshop/Illustrator will use 4 CPU cores) you can essentially see double the performance, having double the CPU cores compared to the 13"