Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

hoiyes posted:

Yeah intense poe seems real good on paper. Lots of action efficiency. It's just rounding out the squad is hard, and ships with fixed forward arcs and no bombs are garbage obv.

Saw an imperial alpha list with Vader/Quickdraw/Tomax all with cruise missiles.

I'm gonna try pairing up Intense Poe with some A-wings with Prockets. Seems if you can goad Cruise Missile ships to come to you, one can step into range and waste them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Local A Wing crack swarm guy has swapped Autothrusters for intensity. Says in a few games of testing that the 5 forward plus boost covers a ton of distance for blocking, and you get the focus token too.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
R4-E1 supersedes all rules about performing actions while stressed, yeah? So you could perform a red maneuver, drop a bomb, and then use Experimental Interface to drop another bomb?

For example:

Sol Sixxa (28)
Lightning Reflexes (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Cluster Mines (4)
Proximity Mines (3)
Enhanced Scopes (1)
R4-E1 (1)
Experimental Interface (3)
Havoc (0)

This Sol would be able to drop both Proximity and Cluster Mines on the same turn pretty much anywhere in front of it. 9 dice in the activation phase sounds fun.

Also I assume bombs follow the rule about performing the same action twice in a turn otherwise you could dump 6 Clusters on some poor soul

DogCop fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 21, 2017

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
You can only drop a single bomb per round no matter how many actions you have. That includes dial reveal bombs too. So no seismic charge and then advance slam clusters for example.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Foiled by the rules yet again.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Been playing some dual Lancer lists recently and man they are fun to fly, especially when you one-two combo a Fenn in a single turn thanks to the Shadowcaster title :getin:

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I'm taking this to a store championship tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Captain Nym (Rebel) (30)
Lone Wolf (2)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Bomblet Generator (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
R5-P8 (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Havoc (0)

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Extra Munitions (2)
Sabine Wren (2)
Cluster Mines (4)
Ion Bombs (2)
Seismic Charges (2)
Advanced SLAM (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

My Miranda is 49 points, 1 point more than the standard Miranda in most Miranda + Dash lists. Nym also has a lot of potential movement options using adv sensors with boost and barrel roll to dodge arc. It's a bit of a passive aggressive list but it is fun to fly.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

bunnyofdoom posted:

So this is my local leagues end of season tournament

So, this could be bomb central, since we're likely to see a shitton of Corran/Miranda lists.

So, what kinda counter can I come up with? (If I run scum, the HWK will hold Cad Bane_)

What I am thinking of running is this

[Stupid thoughts
Click to change squadron details

98 points

PILOTS

Guri (37)
StarViper (30), Lone Wolf (2), Virago (1), Autothrusters (2), Fire-Control System (2)

Emon Azzameen (49)
Firespray-31 (36), Cad Bane (2), Andrasta (0), Cluster Mines (4), Bomblet Generator (3), Cluster Mines (4)

Sunny Bounder (12)
M3-A “Scyk” Interceptor (14), “Light Scyk” Interceptor (-2)

The Syck is just there as a cheap blocker, and I still have a bid, or I can give Guri or Emon an extra thing. Thoughts?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I'm taking this to a store championship tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Captain Nym (Rebel) (30)
Lone Wolf (2)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Bomblet Generator (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
R5-P8 (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Havoc (0)

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Extra Munitions (2)
Sabine Wren (2)
Cluster Mines (4)
Ion Bombs (2)
Seismic Charges (2)
Advanced SLAM (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

My Miranda is 49 points, 1 point more than the standard Miranda in most Miranda + Dash lists. Nym also has a lot of potential movement options using adv sensors with boost and barrel roll to dodge arc. It's a bit of a passive aggressive list but it is fun to fly.

Faced something similar (Genius and VI at the very least were different) recently. it's loving hideous. There's no direction you can approach it from without eating a bomb or a missile. Just exactly the kind of hateful bullshit that's making me not want to play competitive tier x-wing for this wave. BOmbs and TLTs and nobody actually needing to point their arc at anybody to kill them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Here's some dumb homebrew:

https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/6ohw1u/tie_punisher_title_concept/

Yeah, let's give the Punisher an advanced SLAM that doesn't disable weapons, and allows you to get a target lock to fire missiles off.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, let's give the Punisher an advanced SLAM that doesn't disable weapons, and allows you to get a target lock to fire missiles off.

Oh and as a plus, those missiles are 1 point less each. Also extra munitions for only 1 point? Please.

(Also drat you I was about to post that. Don't take my homebrew crown)

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
Has anyone tried Rey with Captain Nym?

Was thinking about this:
Captain Nym
-Title
-VI
-Autoblaster Turret
-Bomblet Generator
-Accuracy Corrector
-Genius

Rey
-Counter Measures
-Title (Sloop)
-Expertise
-Finn
Kanan

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Am I the only one who likes the idea of a MF/3PO tanky Rey to the more aggressive Slooping Kanan one?

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Am I the only one who likes the idea of a MF/3PO tanky Rey to the more aggressive Slooping Kanan one?

I wonder if Nym, going with the old Title and Sabine crew would be a viable option.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

canyoneer posted:

It's powerful, sure, but the punisher is WILDY undercosted and arc-locked.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

lazerus06 posted:

Has anyone tried Rey with Captain Nym?

Was thinking about this:
Captain Nym
-Title
-VI
-Autoblaster Turret
-Bomblet Generator
-Accuracy Corrector
-Genius

Rey
-Counter Measures
-Title (Sloop)
-Expertise
-Finn
Kanan

I flew Fenn Rau/N'Dru/Nym against it.

It's pretty good. I won, but only because the other guy made more mistakes than I did.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

ConfusedUs posted:

I flew Fenn Rau/N'Dru/Nym against it.

It's pretty good. I won, but only because the other guy made more mistakes than I did.

How are you liking running Nym without Cad Bane?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

You might as well find the extra points for Han at that point. Without Kanan or the sloop title you're gonna have a real hard time using Rey's ability.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DogCop posted:

How are you liking running Nym without Cad Bane?

He's great but dedicating a second ship just for him kind of hobbles me into a bombs-first mindset.

I like bomblet as a second source of damage. With cruise missiles, primary, and autoblaster, Nym does just fine.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

lazerus06 posted:

I wonder if Nym, going with the old Title and Sabine crew would be a viable option.

Sabine/3PO/Evade Title?

Or Sabine/Finn?

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Faced something similar (Genius and VI at the very least were different) recently. it's loving hideous. There's no direction you can approach it from without eating a bomb or a missile. Just exactly the kind of hateful bullshit that's making me not want to play competitive tier x-wing for this wave. BOmbs and TLTs and nobody actually needing to point their arc at anybody to kill them.

Man, you are underselling it. Arcs matter so much. Bombs and TLT get games done in 45 minutes, Cruise Missiles end them in 20.

I hated it the first week, and part of me now thinks it is glorious.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

VikingPenguin posted:

Man, you are underselling it. Arcs matter so much. Bombs and TLT get games done in 45 minutes, Cruise Missiles end them in 20.

I hated it the first week, and part of me now thinks it is glorious.

They still end them though.

And they're still more or less impossible to approach safely with anything which has low hull.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Played my first games with the core set and a friend and it was great fun. I'm excited to fine the local scene and learn more about the game.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

bonds0097 posted:

Played my first games with the core set and a friend and it was great fun. I'm excited to fine the local scene and learn more about the game.

Excellent, welcome to the wonderful world of X-wing!

Just beware the meta. It is a cruel, unfeeling dictator.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Went to my FLGS weekly league night and got to play and observe a few silly meta stuff going on. I flew this:

Triple T70s (98)

Nien Nunb (34) - T-70 X-Wing
Veteran Instincts (1), R2 Astromech (1), Pattern Analyzer (2), Black One (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

"Snap" Wexley (35) - T-70 X-Wing
Push The Limit (3), BB-8 (2), Pattern Analyzer (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Jess Pava (29) - T-70 X-Wing
R2-D6 (1), Primed Thrusters (1), Integrated Astromech (0), Intensity (2)

And went 0-2. Technically 1-2 since I earned a bye but whatever. Here's my AAR on my two matches:

Match 1 vs a Dash with rigged cargo chute, ion projector, mangler cannon, etc and a Scurgg with Nym, Sabine, cruise missiles, bomblet and genius.

Over all I kept Nien and Jess together and was able to take down Dash to two hull, and also dropped Nym to three hull but in the end it was difficult to turn around and Nym kept making GBS threads bombs all over the place. It's really frustrating to deal with a 10 HP ship that is pretty nimble for what it is. I wish there was half points for small base ships but that's just me. My flying wasn't super great, but it did well enough to have Dash played more conservatively than what I've seen.

Match 2 was vs a Rey with Finn, Falcon title, EU and a Miranda with Sabine, bomblet generator, TLT, slam, cluster mines, etc.

This match was against the organizer of the league and the unofficial "leader" of our FLGS group. Him and I get along very well and we both typically tied overall for all the matches we played. I lure Miranda away with a feint and I manage to misjudge distance with Nien and an asteroid so I split him off for a little. Miranda slams in and poops out Cluster mines, and Falcon boosts into range one and Nien evaporates after failing huge on a four dice attack. Jess and Snap turn around and manage to bring the falcon within 1 hp but bombs are dropped some more along with TLT, and Jess dies when I kept forgetting about her intensity ept. Snap, while still at full health is able to fly his darndest, has his dice fail him while Miranda and Rey throw some hot dice at him.

Overall my flying is getting better but I also need to remember my abilities more. There were times where I could have gotten some more damage through or perhaps maneuvered for better blocks. I did a small pickup game vs a different Dash and Nym combo and when everything is just right, I can pound ships and have some key relocation.

I was able to observe two rounds and saw that our meta at the store was changing into some bomb shenanigans:

Three lists using a Dash and Nym combo. All just crapped out bombs with no regard of friendly positioning since there was a lot of shields and hull to chew through. While it was funny this time, a new player was observing and said to me "what the hell is this".

I'm not a fan of bombs, especially the actionless types combined with turrets. It's bad enough that now there's an unlimited bomb generator, and it's another when you can roll defense die either. At this point I may drop Integrated Astros and sub in something else for my T70s since I can't rely on defense dice to save me for an extra HP slot that kills my astromech.

Best match: down to a Dash with Mangler and a Contracted Scout, two players got crits on each other that made them both pilot skill 0. It turned into circling each other and barely evading or barely getting hits through. It took roughly 6 rounds to get in 4 hits.

Not sure of rules match: a guy using TLT Aggressors with Ruthlessness tearing apart a Biggs-Jess-Shara-Rex list thinking that each TLT hit allowed Ruthlessness to trigger.

Bad match: I did so bad that I got a bye and so while everyone played a third and final match, I got to watch and not play.

My final thoughts: I want to make X-Wings viable in the sense that people have to work their rear end off to win at the very least. I'm getting there but it's almost clear that we won't see any major changes to make them viable in the new meta. They're not capable of arc dodging, their dial is just OK at best, and there are other ships with more health and better options. The upside is that their unique pilot abilities are great but you really have to be thinking ahead and also understand that a loss is a likely possibility.

Just do what I did in the end. Fly casual, have fun conversation, and enjoy the company. I'd rather lose 500 games with the people I play with at the store on league night than anywhere else.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Today was a good day

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did you run nym scout n'dru?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

Did you run nym scout n'dru?

Yep, Sadly though I only took second. The winner had already won a store championship so the bye defaults to 2nd. Shocking number of imp and Biggs players

Here is the list for those who don't know. https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...20Mk%20III&obs=

Quick write up. I did not copy down the lists so I just have a general outline of the lists

Round 1: Some Biggs list with selflessness and it was an easy win. Think I may have lost a single shield 100-0

Round 2: Inquisitor, Ryad and Delta all with stealth device.
Got Ryad down to 1 hull while closing. Nym got to range one on Inquisitor bomblet dropped the shields then autoblaster finished him off. Cluster from the scout finished Ryad and the delta went down the next turn. Lost N'Dru close to the end. 100-20

Round 3. Standard Vader with cruise missiles and two Aggressors with Ion (Lt. Kestral & Generic) Think they both had unguided rockets.

1st round of combat I roasted the Generic aggressors to keep my scout from taking 2 ion tokens. Bomblet, Cluster & a shot from the scout killed Kestral and Vader was hurting and died the next turn. Lost N'Dru
100-20

Round 4: Standard Triple Defenders.

I guessed his moves just right and first round of combat had N'Dru throwing a 6 die cruise missile with the scout blocking the defender left him with 1 shield and he Nym finished him off. Kept, blocking the obvious defender moves and cleaned up. 100-0

Round 5: Kanan/Biggs with R2D2

1st Round of combat I had a bukake party on Ghost and my scout lost it's shields. Got him down to 4 hull thanks to 2 direct hits. Figured he would not move Biggs away so I guessed Ghost's move and hit both with bomblet and Biggs with 2 of the cluster mines. Also hit my scout but it was worth it. Autoblaster finished Biggs and N'dru finished Ghost. Shuttle died next turn. 100-18

Finished Swiss as #1

Top 4 game one; Oh look its loving Biggs again. With Norra & Shara Bey with selflessness

Tough game. It was my first time ever playing more than 5 matches and it showed. I started making mistakes

I went for the joust and I should not have. I miscalculated what range we would end up at and my scout was all alone at range to his ships. Over the next 2 turns of combat my scout got down to 1 hull and Nym lost all of his shields and all I had to show for it was Shara without shields and Biggs down 1 shield. Made a good call on my scout move and my got Biggs down to one hull with cluster mines. I think my opponent thought I would not drop a bomblet where it would hit N'Dru and he was wrong. I caught all 3 of his ships with it and killed biggs and got a crit on Shara (Damaged Engine), but I lost the scout.

I sort of herded the Arcs into a corner with N'Dru and got Shara down two 2 hull while Nym got back into the fight. N'Dru died but Shara did a hard turn to do it and stressed herself which meant that she could not avoid going off the edge the next turn. Nym got a 5 die cruise off on Norra and got her to 2 hull(with structural damage), but Nym was down to 1 hull. There was 5 min left in the round and I could have easily ran away for the win. Instead I went 4 forward and with a TL got 3 hits and it was all over.

Was a really good match.

Final Round: I played Dunster. The Aussies know who he is and his personality aside he is a drat good player. He had Wes, Rex, Rorak and this may shock you Biggs. In short he flew well and I hosed up from the get go. I for some drat reason went for the joust and I still don't know why I did. I knew it was a bad idea before the match. Maybe I'm getting old and senile. In the opening engagement I friggin landed my scout on a rock..... I haven't unintentionally landed on a rock in months. Nym, died then N'dru and then the scout held on and got a nice set of bombs off, but it was over quick.

Overall I am really happy with how I did and how a list I built performed. 7 months to the day I bought my first core set and I am keeping up with some really good players Honestly I think the best thing I could do to improve my performance is to exercise more. 5 years ago being on my feet that long would not have tired me out at all. Sitting on my butt all day at my current job is not keeping me in shape.

Was nice doing well and being on top table for most of the day and not having to move my stuff

Raged fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 22, 2017

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

What do people expect to see across the table when they are flying an alpha list that can fire 3 5 damage attacks in one round? Of course people are flying Biggs.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

IronSaber posted:

Excellent, welcome to the wonderful world of X-wing!

Just beware the meta. It is a cruel, unfeeling dictator.

Hah, that's okay, I'm used to that sort of thing. No idea how competitive the local scene so it may not even come into play.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

Match 1 vs a Dash with rigged cargo chute, ion projector, mangler cannon, etc and a Scurgg with Nym, Sabine, cruise missiles, bomblet and genius.

Unless Sabine was on dash this combo shouldn't happen. The astro and crew slots are mutually exclusive.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

My 11 yr. old kid wants to get in to X-Wing, and I haven't been playing long enough to be good at list building. Any ideas for a good beginner Scum list? Something not to complicated to fly and good for learning the rules.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Funzo posted:

My 11 yr. old kid wants to get in to X-Wing, and I haven't been playing long enough to be good at list building. Any ideas for a good beginner Scum list? Something not to complicated to fly and good for learning the rules.

Brobots classic.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Seconding brobots, with the caveat that large bases are harder to figure out for new players.

In my experience, the most frustrating thing for new players is not getting a shot because your ship and arc is pointed the wrong way, so consider something with turrets like a HWK or Y Wing.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

For learning? I don't know if I'd go with a gimmicky list like that. I'd stick with a similar mentality that the rule book has; Some basic, no-frills ships with minimal to no upgrades for the sake of getting rules down, then moving on to more named pilots with abilities and upgrade cards after they get the fundamentals on lock.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

2 large Scum ships, one with a turret one with an arc. Probably a J5K and either Lancer or Bossk Bus is a goid learning list.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

bunnyofdoom posted:

Unless Sabine was on dash this combo shouldn't happen. The astro and crew slots are mutually exclusive.

I'd have to double-check as I was just pulling from memory, and in fact our TO just posted the lists to List Juggler. Here's what I faced:

Match 1:
Captain Nym + Veteran Instincts + Twin Laser Turret + Cruise Missiles + Bomblet Generator + Havoc + Long-Range Scanners + Accuracy Corrector + Genius

Dash Rendar + Trick Shot + Mangler Cannon + Sabine Wren + Outrider + Smuggling Compartment + Ion Bombs + Rigged Cargo Chute + Ion Projector
(98)

Match 2:
Miranda Doni + Twin Laser Turret + Extra Munitions + Sabine Wren + Cluster Mines + Bomblet Generator + Advanced SLAM

Rey + Trick Shot + Millennium Falcon (2) + Finn
(99)

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

So I've been out of town on a business trip for the past month, but am planning on doing a SC next weekend. I haven't gotten a chance to play against or with any of the new ships. What are the general strengths and weaknesses of them? I'm expecting to see a lot of them at the SC. It seems like there is a lot of chatter about Nym.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Two store champs these past two weekends and I keep coming up just short. Last weekend I went 4-0 in Swiss and lost in the first match of the cut, and today 1 slot short of the cut.

Munitions are fun, but I have seen almost no aces the past two events, other than people at the very bottom. Bombs and missiles are completely running them out of the meta. The top list today was Miranda and Nym; two small base ships that give up no MOV and have an arsenal of munitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Slandible posted:

Two store champs these past two weekends and I keep coming up just short. Last weekend I went 4-0 in Swiss and lost in the first match of the cut, and today 1 slot short of the cut.

Munitions are fun, but I have seen almost no aces the past two events, other than people at the very bottom. Bombs and missiles are completely running them out of the meta. The top list today was Miranda and Nym; two small base ships that give up no MOV and have an arsenal of munitions.

I've heard people swear that taking first in Swiss is a bad place to be in a cut of 8 or more, because you might be getting paired up against someone who squeaked in with a weird list that could be teched really well against yours.
Doing a quick browse through listjuggler I see that plenty of people who were first in Swiss ended up getting bounced in the first game of the cut, so anecdotally it checks out.

The small ships giving up no MOV is feeling really weird now that you can have 2 small ships take up 100 points easily, each with 9 or more combined hull+shields (and with ARCs or Miranda, regen!)

• Locked thread