Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

Personally, until I moved to the Pro, my go to stylus was always the Adonit Pro. It was a dream to use in PDF Expert with the app-based palm rejection turned on. And it worked very well for handwritten notes in Noteshelf and Notability.

I got a lot of mileage out of this one but my experience with it is very dated so I'm not sure if there is anything better on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

You're the DJ of this gig!
Does anyone have an recommendation for an journaling app with writing prompts?
I kinda want to get into journaling but i suck at coming up things to write about...

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

vrklgn posted:

Does anyone have an recommendation for an journaling app with writing prompts?
I kinda want to get into journaling but i suck at coming up things to write about...

depends on what you wanna do...

i actually really like this ai chatbot on facebook called woebot - it's a cbt ai but it also gives you journaling suggestions

for actually doing the journaling i use notability and an apple pencil combined with a todoist daily reminder to journal

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Is anyone running the iOS 11 beta on an original iPad Air? I'm curious if it is super sluggish or about the same as iOS 10?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Super sluggish? No. More stutters than 10? Right now yeah a few.

“right-clicking” in Safari isn't fun, but I’m not sure if that’s a device related thing or just a design problem because of the new drag and drop stuff.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have an air and love it, but she's getting long in the tooth and my wife and kids need a trickle down refresh. Is a 10.5 Pro with the new keyboard cover really the bees knees? My Air has cellular and is grandfathered onto the ATT unlimited data iPad plan, and I assume I can move that over as well? I have been able to keep the plan moving between iPad hardware so far, and am worried st at some point they won't let me keep it on a new device...

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I know this thing has been around for ages, but I finally got a smart keyboard for my 12.9. Holy crap it's shockingly nice. I didn't think it would be this good to type on. FYI like new ones are like $80 on eBay. Much easier to stomach than $170.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have an air and love it, but she's getting long in the tooth and my wife and kids need a trickle down refresh. Is a 10.5 Pro with the new keyboard cover really the bees knees? My Air has cellular and is grandfathered onto the ATT unlimited data iPad plan, and I assume I can move that over as well? I have been able to keep the plan moving between iPad hardware so far, and am worried st at some point they won't let me keep it on a new device...

I think so. I went from an air 2 to the 10.5 and it's pretty amazing. The screen is unreal and the 6+ style Touch ID is a huge step up.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I got a first gen mini with a shattered screen I can repair for $60 cad. Is it worth it for a kid to watch YouTube and play games or will it just not work anymore. I heard all the 32bit games are being pulled.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

32-bit is gone with iOS 11, but I don't know if that means they're completely removing them from the store.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Anybody on iOS11 beta having trouble connecting to the App Store for new downloads or app updates? The store loads fine, but any attempt to actually download an app just gets me a spinner. App Store on my iOS 10 devices is fine.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

smr posted:

Anybody on iOS11 beta having trouble connecting to the App Store for new downloads or app updates? The store loads fine, but any attempt to actually download an app just gets me a spinner. App Store on my iOS 10 devices is fine.

Yeah, it went away after a short while where I rebooted it a couple of times and started and killed the app repeatedly. Which means nothing I did actually resolved the issue and it's probably some passing problem with the new app store interface.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The latest 11 beta feels like a big step back in general. "Update All" appears to kick off every download at once, after which they all continually restart and stop and if you're lucky 2/3 finish and you get failure alerts for the rest. Lots of graphical ghosting on the task switcher, freezes on task switcher, crashes on restoring a screen with 2 apps, and now with the way the play/pause widget is accessed (switcher instead of control center) it's impossible to wrest audio control from an app that isn't a good audio citizen (like Awful.app).

poo poo's got a way to go.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It would be a terrible update, but the swipe to close option is back so it’s a wash.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
A silly wee question: is there a way to select/confirm a spelling correction on an iPad with a hardware keyboard? The little suggestion bubble appears over the typo but I can't figure out how to swap it in without reaching up and touching the screen. Arrow keys / enter just move the cursor. I've tried Googling but I don't really know the correct terminology for the feature.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tenterhooks posted:

A silly wee question: is there a way to select/confirm a spelling correction on an iPad with a hardware keyboard? The little suggestion bubble appears over the typo but I can't figure out how to swap it in without reaching up and touching the screen. Arrow keys / enter just move the cursor. I've tried Googling but I don't really know the correct terminology for the feature.

If it pops up, when you hit any whitespace or punctuation mark it auto replaces the mistyped/misspelled word.

If you mean how the tell auto-correct, "no gently caress-you this is *how* I meant to do it", then the only way I know is to tap the little "x" in the correction bubble. Or backspace the retype it. The third re-type and iOS goes "Fine, spell it your way! (it's still wrong)"

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, it went away after a short while where I rebooted it a couple of times and started and killed the app repeatedly. Which means nothing I did actually resolved the issue and it's probably some passing problem with the new app store interface.

Yeah, basically been trying that. Oddly, updates DO install fine, they just trip over each other's dicks a few times before settling down and queuing up, but installing completely-new apps has been a total non-starter for two days now :S

Ahhh, betas...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

If it pops up, when you hit any whitespace or punctuation mark it auto replaces the mistyped/misspelled word.

If you mean how the tell auto-correct, "no gently caress-you this is *how* I meant to do it", then the only way I know is to tap the little "x" in the correction bubble. Or backspace the retype it. The third re-type and iOS goes "Fine, spell it your way! (it's still wrong)"
Don't have my hardware keyboard on me right now but I think escape works to cancel the autocorrect.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Proteus Jones posted:

Ah, sorry. I didn't explain that well. The auto correct thing works fine if it catches the correction as you go, iPhone style. It's more for the stuff it misses and only makes a suggestion for when you move the cursor back to the word:

I can't seem to select this bubble with the keyboard. Sometimes it has multiple options too. Arrow keys / enter / space all just move the cursor.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tenterhooks posted:

I can't seem to select this bubble with the keyboard. Sometimes it has multiple options too. Arrow keys / enter / space all just move the cursor.

100% guess since I don't have a bluetooth keyboard, but what about tab?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

How much longer will a mini 4 be good and not be held back by its hardware? Best Buy has a crazy deal on the 128gb models right now ($275) and I still have a $150 gift card from trading in my ipad mini 2 a couple of months ago. Or is last year's 128gb 9.7" ipad pro for $500 a better purchase? I was originally considering getting one of the new ipad pros with the gift card, but I could save some money by getting one of these two.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Get the size you like more

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

ihatepants posted:

How much longer will a mini 4 be good and not be held back by its hardware? Best Buy has a crazy deal on the 128gb models right now ($275) and I still have a $150 gift card from trading in my ipad mini 2 a couple of months ago. Or is last year's 128gb 9.7" ipad pro for $500 a better purchase? I was originally considering getting one of the new ipad pros with the gift card, but I could save some money by getting one of these two.

where are you seeing these prices?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

IuniusBrutus posted:

where are you seeing these prices?

Early access discount for Elite members. I think the sale for everyone starts tomorrow.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I guess it comes down to why you traded the old Mini in. Personally I’m a huge fan of the Mini form factor and would easily take one over a full size iPad, even a much more powerful one.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

astral posted:

100% guess since I don't have a bluetooth keyboard, but what about tab?

Nah. FWIW, I heard from the Apple Support Twitter account that it isn't possible at the moment. I threw a pointless feature request into the void anyway.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ihatepants posted:

I'm pondering the same for the kiddos since the future of the mini seems a bit uncertain :(

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Mini is dead. It was a defense against cheaper Amazon Fire tablets. Now you’ve got cheap full-sized iPads and Phablet iPhones. There’s no room for a 7 inch iPad.

They’re obviously still selling them, so maybe we’ll see a refresh, but I doubt it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Who knows if Apple will refresh it, but there's plenty of difference between an 8" 4:3 iPad Mini and a 5.5" 16:9 iPhone. If I didn't read bigger format things occasionally, I'd much prefer the Mini for being a good deal bigger than a phone but still small enough to comfortably thumb type and just being a little less unwieldy (* than a big iPad, if that wasn't clear).

sourdough fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 20, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm pondering the same for the kiddos since the future of the mini seems a bit uncertain :(

My thinking goes that it's uncertain now that Apple refreshes the mini at this point but it's internals are on par-ish with the new iPad they just introduced so it'll likely be supported for a long while.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Krispy Kareem posted:

The Mini is dead. It was a defense against cheaper Amazon Fire tablets. Now you’ve got cheap full-sized iPads and Phablet iPhones. There’s no room for a 7 inch iPad.

They’re obviously still selling them, so maybe we’ll see a refresh, but I doubt it.

It’s a shame because the Mini form factor is so nice, especially compared to the non-Pro full size iPad which has gone back to being fat and having a crap screen.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

The 10.5 Pro is perfection. Nothing else needs to exist until there's a need for a 10.5 2 :D

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hey, I just upgraded from a battered old 3rd Gen from 2012 to a shiny new 5th Gen... but I'm having a bizarre amount of trouble finding a compatible dock for my desk or bedside, especially in Australia, where every retailer I've checked (online AND physical retail) seems to be sold out of such things (that or Amazon US won't ship it). What are some good recommendations for...

• A dock that's compatible with syncing for iTunes that I can have on my desk? I could probably use the Apple dock, but it's designed for iPhones and it's worryingly wobbly.
  • A dock for my bedside? Bonus points if it's got two lightning connectors so I can charge my 6s at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Kins posted:

Hey, I just upgraded from a battered old 3rd Gen from 2012 to a shiny new 5th Gen... but I'm having a bizarre amount of trouble finding a compatible dock for my desk or bedside, especially in Australia, where every retailer I've checked (online AND physical retail) seems to be sold out of such things (that or Amazon US won't ship it). What are some good recommendations for...

• A dock that's compatible with syncing for iTunes that I can have on my desk? I could probably use the Apple dock, but it's designed for iPhones and it's worryingly wobbly.
  • A dock for my bedside? Bonus points if it's got two lightning connectors so I can charge my 6s at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Do you need a dock, or can you get one of those plug in USB chargers with 2 USB ports? I don't even get that fancy, when I travel I bring a power strip and three apple wall warts and three cables. None of the multi port USB things seem to charge as fast as three individual bricks.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I've got a bit of a problem that seems fairly common.

I upgraded my iPad Mini 2 (A1489) from iOS 9.x to iOS 10 and all of a sudden the battery life turned to utter poo poo. As in, I could sit there and watch the percentage drain down by 1% per minute or less while doing nothing. Before the update, the unit could function for countless hours with low battery drain. After the update, I could plug my iPad in overnight and it would actually have the dead battery icon the morning after. Weirdly, if I left it plugged in, it would randomly turn on with 100% battery. It's loving strange. Seems like it doesn't actually know how well charged it is but the software will shut it down when it thinks it's drained?

I decided to upgrade to beta iOS 11 with the same results.

I will say that my iOS 9.x was jailbroken but I have no idea if that had an effect on the upgrade.

At this point I just want to go back to iOS 9 but all of those iOS IPSW's are now unsigned and I'm not sure how (or if) it's possible to go back.

I was hoping someone would know the fix to the overall problem I'm having or if they knew a way to get back to iOS 9.x. Either way is fine to me, I just want to be able to use my iPad for more than 45 minutes at a time again.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. If that's the case, please let me know where I'd be better off taking this.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
We’re seeing something similar on my wife’s Mini 2 using iOS 10. Weird battery fluctuations.

I’m inclined to say the battery is going bad rather than the OS. I think we’ve had it for 3 years so either could be true.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Krispy Kareem posted:

I’m inclined to say the battery is going bad rather than the OS. I think we’ve had it for 3 years so either could be true.

I would normally say the same, and I've had mine for around the same time but right up until the update the battery life was really solid, as in I'd used it a hell of a lot primarily as an e-reader daily and all of a sudden the battery poo poo itself after the update.

Adding that anecdotal evidence to countless similar complaints when I searched Google after having problems, and it really seems like a problem with iOS 10-11.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Unfortunately there is no way to go back down from 10/11 to 9. I really dislike how Apple doesn't give you a choice with software versions.

Just really glad I kept my 6 and big pro on 9.3.3.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Do you need a dock, or can you get one of those plug in USB chargers with 2 USB ports? I don't even get that fancy, when I travel I bring a power strip and three apple wall warts and three cables. None of the multi port USB things seem to charge as fast as three individual bricks.
Oh, I can live without one since I have one of those case-with-a-stand sort of dealies, I'm just used to having one after having a 30-pin iPad dock sitting next to my PC for the last half-decade, so, you know, it'd be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hamburlgar posted:

Unfortunately there is no way to go back down from 10/11 to 9. I really dislike how Apple doesn't give you a choice with software versions.

Just really glad I kept my 6 and big pro on 9.3.3.

Considering the two major broadcom vulnerabilities that have been fixed in iOS 10.x including the recently-patched broadpwn, you really should want to update the phone at minimum, and the tablet especially if you take it places.