Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

dumb. posted:

Have you considered doing an MSF refresher or, if that's too baby-mode, an advanced riding course?

I've considered advanced riding courses for skill building, but the accident yesterday would have required ninja reflexes. I was, understandably, riding incredibly cautiously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

If I can find my pics I'll relate my tale of stupidity mixed with deer

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Hay Chiche, do you mind if I use your photos for a safety moment at work? We have a lot of older riders who basically wear no gear and I want to show them just what gear can do in the event of a crash.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Hay Chiche, do you mind if I use your photos for a safety moment at work? We have a lot of older riders who basically wear no gear and I want to show them just what gear can do in the event of a crash.

Absolutely no problem at all. Considering the circumstances I came out practically unscathed.

I don't have any photos of the second crash, but I can say that my boots saved my foot. CHP was nice enough to find the toe slider of my SMXs. It had embedded in the tire of the car that hit me. :laugh:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I don't have any photos of the second crash, but I can say that my boots saved my foot. CHP was nice enough to find the toe slider of my SMXs. It had embedded in the tire of the car that hit me. :laugh:

Ha, amazing. And yeah I would totally get new actual gear before the cam.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

call to action posted:

So does crashing at ridiculous frequency happen to everyone who posts here a lot, or is that just a coincidence
I almost dropped my F4i in my driveway once while pushing it around. Does that count?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Chichevache posted:

:stonklol:

Yeah I haven't been on the bike lately because it needs a set of tires but I think it's gonna stay on the tender awhile longer and wait for new boots to come in as well. I've been eyeballing the SMX+ for while now anyway.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Beach Bum posted:

:stonklol:

Yeah I haven't been on the bike lately because it needs a set of tires but I think it's gonna stay on the tender awhile longer and wait for new boots to come in as well. I've been eyeballing the SMX+ for while now anyway.

This is where my foot was!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Interesting brake pedal setup, no wonder you had a problem emergency stopping the other day. I'd recommend trying a more traditional approach and seeing if that works better for you.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Must be one of those GP brake patterns ive been hearing about.

Ace944
Jan 28, 2009
I had just gotten back into riding a motorcycle after not riding for a few years and decided to try a road near me. I had just moved to Tennessee from Florida and my dumb rear end thought I could totally handle curves and hills! I took my brand new Z125 around the bend shown below which was also down hill and I ended up target fixating and crashing into the tree line. The bike suffered cracked fairing and scraped right handle bar but otherwise was fine and I luckily escaped with soreness. I was wearing full gear which definitely soften the impact. Take it as a lesson not to ride above your skill level.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cornering hard downhill can be difficult for people (myself included). My brain still tells me it should be a low traction situation even when it's not and I wind up going slower than I probably could.

drat lizard brain.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yo ride in south Knox it's chill and fun and the roads are nice

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

A MIRACLE posted:

Yo ride in south Knox it's chill and fun and the roads are nice

Sounds nice, gonna have to try that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Chichevache posted:

What do you guys think of Daytonas?

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ace944 posted:

I had just gotten back into riding a motorcycle after not riding for a few years and decided to try a road near me. I had just moved to Tennessee from Florida and my dumb rear end thought I could totally handle curves and hills! I took my brand new Z125 around the bend shown below which was also down hill and I ended up target fixating and crashing into the tree line. The bike suffered cracked fairing and scraped right handle bar but otherwise was fine and I luckily escaped with soreness. I was wearing full gear which definitely soften the impact. Take it as a lesson not to ride above your skill level.

I creeped on this road on Street View and that is just a really sharp and steep turn. I dunno how fast you were going but that's like a 15-20mph max in my opinion.

Certainly if you're still getting back into the groove that's the sort of turn you'd slow down to a crawl for and creep around. But remember, you can always push harder! Look deeper and push harder and it's amazing how the bike follows you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That'd be a tough bend on a full size bike but on a grom I'm surprised you crashed. Did you freeze up?

Ace944
Jan 28, 2009
I froze up on it due to my inexperience with steep hills and turns as I had previously only experienced Florida flatness.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

PathAsc posted:

Sounds nice, gonna have to try that.

Here are some roads that would be great on a Grom in south knox:

Martin Mill Pike
Tipton Station
Neubert Springs
Burnett Creek
Kimberlin Heights
Sevierville pike

Ace944
Jan 28, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

Here are some roads that would be great on a Grom in south knox:

Martin Mill Pike
Tipton Station
Neubert Springs
Burnett Creek
Kimberlin Heights
Sevierville pike

I live in West Knox so I will try these out,thanks.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm in the bootheel of MO, so I can def but those places up sometime, probably in September when I take a small vacation again. Thanks!

nmagness
Sep 16, 2013

Sorry it's a little old but I just stumbled into this subforum. Back in May I got the full ICU experience after coming into an unfamiliar downhill exit ramp too hot for my lizard brain to figure out and panic braked (I think) instead of leaning in. Went over the handlebars and caught a road marker with my torso hard enough to snap it off at the base. Unfortunately it also popped my spleen, messed up a kidney and collapsed a lung. A few days in ICU and a week and a half recovering in the hospital and I'm back to being an able bodied 25 year old.

https://goo.gl/photos/RNcbcaYC1WrWuSmC7

https://goo.gl/photos/af9L2KTdKmUVquAu7

I didn't get any pictures of the bruising cause I was out of my mind on pain meds

Thankfully i had my helmet and boots on but not my coat/pants because it was hot and I was headed to Target to get a lint roller lol.

The bike, a 93 CBR 600f2, didn't take too much cosmetic damage but the large oil spot underneath it in the tow yard led me to scrap it instead of bringing it home as a money sink. Once my medical bills are paid off I'm gonna buy tires for my other bike(89 ZX600) and get back on.

https://goo.gl/photos/kueth5HotnRGHLW46

https://goo.gl/photos/Vdvgc6mThNkfbQP87

The exit ramp was off of highway 36 onto hamline in Minneapolis for anyone who's curious

*edit I still don't know how to timg Google images

nmagness fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 13, 2017

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sometimes you need to take nearly killing yourself on a slight turn as a sign and stop riding.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nmagness posted:

Went over the handlebars and caught a road marker with my torso hard enough to snap it off at the base.

So did they reattach your torso?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

Sometimes you need to take nearly killing yourself on a slight turn as a sign and stop riding.

I've now gone 3 weeks without getting hit by a car! Things are looking up for ol' Chiche!

nmagness
Sep 16, 2013

Chichevache posted:

So did they reattach your torso?

I'm all road marker from the waist down now. :wink:

nsaP posted:

Cold dead hands and all that...
Seriously though I made peace with biting it early long before getting on a bike. My biggest regret is not trading up to a different bike before taking a digger since now I'm just another crashed sportbike stereotype

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
instead of 'making peace' with becoming dead why don't you learn how to ride first

nmagness
Sep 16, 2013

Razzled posted:

instead of 'making peace' with becoming dead why don't you learn how to ride first

Whoah buddy! Am I not taking your big boy hobby seriously enough? What a way to deal with the fact that this is a dangerous thing we do regardless of rider skill.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Don't listen to those guys, continue riding however you want, but please get a gopro before you get back on, so that all of us crappier riders can live vicariously through you.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

nmagness posted:

Whoah buddy! Am I not taking your big boy hobby seriously enough? What a way to deal with the fact that this is a dangerous thing we do regardless of rider skill.

It's not as dangerous if you know how to pilot the vehicle.

nmagness
Sep 16, 2013

nsaP posted:

It's not as dangerous if you know how to pilot the vehicle.

Thanks Dad.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Don't listen to those guys, continue riding however you want, but please get a gopro before you get back on, so that all of us crappier riders can live vicariously through you.

Thanks man. Even if this is full on sarcasm I do plan to ride with a go pro in the future hopefully it will temper my dumb poo poo desire to ride the mean streets as if they were a track.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What was your first bike and how long have you been riding? Asking for science.

nmagness
Sep 16, 2013

Slavvy posted:

What was your first bike and how long have you been riding? Asking for science.

The second one mentioned in the post. 89 Kawi that I bought after taking the msf in 2011. Rode the crap out of that one until buying the 93 cbr 2 years ago as a winter project and I've been riding that one since.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

nmagness posted:

lol if you think anyone is impressed with you outing yourself as a retard who literally can't make a highway exit ramp turn and then subsequently hitting a traffic sign with no gear on

nmagness
Sep 16, 2013

gently caress me for responding to criticism from the guy who trashed his new dirtbike the day he bought it a whole 3 years ago. Is there something about my tone that he's allergic to? I was trying to be very clear that i was riding like a dumbass and paid the price for it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Your ego is more delicate than your spleen

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

nmagness posted:

gently caress me for responding to criticism from the guy who trashed his new dirtbike the day he bought it a whole 3 years ago. Is there something about my tone that he's allergic to? I was trying to be very clear that i was riding like a dumbass and paid the price for it.

i'm not sure how happy you should be about being skill-wise as bad as i was 3 years ago, lol

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

nmagness posted:

Thanks Dad.

If you really do just want to die, get the GoPro and just ride off the grand canyon. If you don't actually want to kill yourself, the the advice and get some proper training to learn how to ride. We all know riding bikes is dangerous, but instead of resigning yourself to dying early, do what you can to mitigate the danger.

And figure out how to take some criticism.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Koruthaiolos posted:

If you really do just want to die, get the GoPro and just ride off the grand canyon. If you don't actually want to kill yourself, the the advice and get some proper training to learn how to ride. We all know riding bikes is dangerous, but instead of resigning yourself to dying early, do what you can to mitigate the danger.

or don't, and give us something to post about.

Either or really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmagness
Sep 16, 2013

Koruthaiolos posted:

I guess I kinda came here for some advice, apologies if I came off wrong. "Learn to ride noob" isn't exactly helpful haha. Braking in the corner felt dumb even in the moment and I guess I don't really remember why I chose to brake.

• Locked thread