Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokbek
Dec 19, 2014

Call Me The Shocker

Kromlech posted:

Wanting to solo play WoW is certainly one i've never heard before.

Solo play in WoW is what you do almost all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

haha complaining about the story in an fps game

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
bioshock has a pretty good story. thats my hot take. its not great or anything but it takes a huge dump on randian objectivism and people are so lacking in critical thinking skills they align themselves with andrew ryan because they agree with randian ideals or hell even completely misinterpret the entire smorgasboard of high school level symbolism in the game as 'totalitarianism' despite the ham fisted 2 minute long intro cinematic

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I love the bio shocks, this is unpopular? They're a huge franchise

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I wish they would make another system shock instead.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I love the bio shocks, this is unpopular? They're a huge franchise

Nah the unpopular opinion is that the Bioshock games suck.

Which they do.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Nah they're actually good. Even Infinite.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Rutibex posted:

They just did a few months ago, its called Prey

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Much like any game with a horror bent to it it gets worse as you get stronger and more equipped because the enemies arent dangerous anymore but even tho the second half is a bit of a slog through boring combat its still really great, and the atmosphere is incredible for the first half

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

fruit on the bottom posted:

Nah they're actually good.

Yeah, for me to poop on.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Your poop isn't even fit for Duke Nukem Forever

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Duke nukem forever is better than all the bioshocks

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
bioshock infinite taught me that slaves were the real racists all along

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Actually the core message is that both sides are evil and that the truth is in the middle, only the DLC proves that they were only evil so that all the black people could help turn a white girl into God.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Bioshock one and 2 are pretty good games but infinite is an irredeemable dumpster fire

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

basic hitler posted:

Dune is a better RTS than Warcraft
Command & Conquer '95 is a better rts than Warcraft 2
Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun is a better RTS than Starcraft
Red Alert 2 is the best RTS ever made
Command & Conquer 3 is better than Starcraft 2.
I like Cryo's Dune better than Westwood's.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

DancingShade posted:

Halo is the Warhammer 40k of video games.

By which I mean the franchise is aimed at males with a mental and emotional age of 13 years.

Your average steam shovelware asset flipping title from Eastern Europe or Russia has a better written story than Halo, or at least one comparable.
Halo 1 was good. Also, if you're playing an FPS for the story, you're doing it wrong.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
if u play games for the story ur dumb, i say, wearing my faded, sweat stained Games Are Art tshirt

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Would anyone willingly play Destiny solo? No, because the story is poo poo and is only there to give you a justification to shoot some mans online with your pals.

And that's how it's supossed to be. Look at the new Doom - has basically no story at all, yet is fantastically reviewed. Because FPS games don't need a loving story.

Halo had a halfway decent story which is one of the many reasons it was so well-received in its day.

Kromlech fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 22, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Would anyone willingly play Destiny

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Kromlech posted:

Would anyone willingly play Destiny solo? No, because the story is poo poo and is only there to give you a justification to shoot some mans online with your pals.

And that's how it's supossed to be. Look at the new Doom - has basically no story at all, yet is fantastically reviewed. Because FPS games don't need a loving story.

Halo had a halfway decent story which is one of the many reasons it was so well-received in its day.

Half life 2 had a good story

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

They are?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kromlech posted:

Halo 1 was good. Also, if you're playing an FPS for the story, you're doing it wrong.

The only people who think Halo has a good story are the fanboys who sucked down the marketing so hard they probably own all the trash tier tie-in novels.

Doom has a good story. It's simple - angry man punches demons a lot. That story and it's sustained that franchise since 1993.

Flipside: there are no rabid doom fans who mistakenly think the story is deep and culturally meaningful.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've never read them, but there's a bunch of Doom novels.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Zelda is a trash rpg series and doesn't hold a candle to superior western RPGS

i AM ERROR e

Such a good well polished game series that features characters literally being errors and also Breath of the Wild is just Skyrim retextured with beep boop music robots, dumb

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

Rutibex posted:

they did, it's called Prey

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

True but half-life 2 is too scary and gave me nightmares so i can't replay it.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

the funny thing is that it doesn't. it almost doesn't even have a story it all it pretty much only has any sort of overarching plot to find an excuse to hustle the player between a bunch of set pieces and then ends abruptly but they are some of the best designed set pieces out there

a thing half life 2 does almost accidentally is that your actions don't contradict the goals of the plot, thats a thing that like almost every single plot focused video game simply cannot help but do either ""on purpose"" or due to sheer incompetence

like they didn't try to make a game with a good story they just tried to make a game with a cohesive gameplay and narrative experience and what do you know thats what you need to make it good

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The only videogame with a good story is MGS3.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i read a bunch of the halo novels in middle school, like the first two maybe? they weren't absolutely terrible but also i was 12 and at that point in time there wasn't even a halo two. halo 1 is extremely ripe for shlocky sci fi pulp but trying to turn that backstory into some serious sci fi expanded universe? lmao

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

a bone to pick posted:

there are two other metal gear solids with good stories, as well, friend

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

a bone to pick posted:

Super Mario Bros 2 would like a word

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

fps games don't need a story, but that doesn't stop all these companies from trying to attach meaning to games where you shoot things with guns anyway

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

get that OUT of my face posted:

fps games don't need a story, but that doesn't stop all these companies from trying to attach meaning to games where you shoot things with guns anyway

What if the guns shoot rainbows into hungry clouds, and you got a marshmallow cannon to feed the chocolate hippos? :allears:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

nigga crab pollock posted:

there are two other metal gear solids with good stories, as well, friend

Nah those are basically anime garbage.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

a bone to pick posted:

Nah those are basically anime garbage.

metal gear solid 1 isn't anime. metal gear solid 2, is pretty anime. but it's not anime in anything important, or good, so it's okay.

actually, except for ther scene where the president jumps off of a walkway onto a harrier jet that then gets eaten by a metal gear. its incredible

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6mbDLxCrU4&t=330s

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Emulator posted:

They just did a few months ago, its called Prey

Think Thin! posted:

they did, it's called Prey
:eyepop:
excuse me i have something to attend to for the next few weeks

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

nigga crab pollock posted:

bioshock has a pretty good story. thats my hot take. its not great or anything but it takes a huge dump on randian objectivism and people are so lacking in critical thinking skills they align themselves with andrew ryan because they agree with randian ideals or hell even completely misinterpret the entire smorgasboard of high school level symbolism in the game as 'totalitarianism' despite the ham fisted 2 minute long intro cinematic

Everyone takes a huge dump on randian objectivism all the time. Trashing objectivism is just beating a dead horse. It's the softest of targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

The controls for Dark Souls are garbage compared to what they could be, and that adds a layer of artificial difficulty.