Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Last Chance posted:

i still like my ipad 3 even tho it's slow as poo poo lol. it works fine for books, occasional videos and shitter reading tho
Hey at the risk of injecting semi-serious talk in here, how much of an impact will the complete switch to 64-bit apps only in ios11 have on these? I would assume no new apps will run on it and existing ones will probably never get updates?

(I realize this iPad can’t run ios10 or 11)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
also nintendo didn't include a microphone jack on the console and instead want you to use a dongle to mix voice chat and game audio

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Wheany posted:

also nintendo didn't include a microphone jack on the console and instead want you to use a dongle to mix voice chat and game audio

also the phone's screen apparently needs to be on all the time for voice chat to work

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

the new 2DS xl by default sucks because there's no IPS screen lottery like there is with the new 3ds xl systems

the screen on the Switch is gorgeous. I don't know what they used but it's better than most IPS screens I've ever seen. some people speculate it's the "color gamut" they used but I have no idea what that means and if that's just a software thing or actually a hardware thing

and I had to buy three Switch docks before I found one that did not bend slightly towards the screen. jfc Nintendo get your poo poo together

worst uncle at nintendo ever

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fleshweasel posted:

yeah, I like that my ipad air 2 is really light but it can actually be difficult to pick up when it's lying flat on a table. there's nothing for your fingers to get under.

my ipad pro does not have this problem, looks like the camera bump is actually good

ufarn
May 30, 2009
my mba12 slows to a complete crawl whenever i open it and has been prone to freezing, but i think it might literally just be loving dropbox

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
It's Dropbox. Disable that trash which generates thousands of fs events even when 'idle'.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

gently caress im too lazy to switch to another thing

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

give me a good alternative to Dropbox and I'll switch in an Instant

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

my grad professor used one drive and was happy but he didn't have to pay for it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Google drive

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i played around with a 120 hz ipad pro today and that's an impressive screen.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
would you say it's buttery smooth?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i use onedrive and it is fine. used google drive but it was fine too, but as i got one drive with office, i switche

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

zen death robot posted:

why would you want a greasy screen experience?

being a goon, it's not as if they have a choice

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

hell i'll settle for something that keeps my onepassword vault synced and just use dropbox web

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Hey at the risk of injecting semi-serious talk in here, how much of an impact will the complete switch to 64-bit apps only in ios11 have on these? I would assume no new apps will run on it and existing ones will probably never get updates?

(I realize this iPad can’t run ios10 or 11)

i'm often surprised at the amount of apps that target old releases of iOS. my ipad 3 using iOS 9 had 25 updates waiting when i got back from a trip last week.

i have an iphone 4 running iOS 6 and it still receives 3 or so app updates every couple months

i wouldn't count on 32 bit devices 100% dying in support right away.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my spare ipad 2 from work gets a handful, mostly business apps but a few unexpected ones get releases target 7 still

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

hell i'll settle for something that keeps my onepassword vault synced and just use dropbox web
lol @ entrusting ur password store to a third party

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
entrusting your password store to a third party would be a problem if it weren't encrypted.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

i use icloud keychain, it's pretty great.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

i use icloud keychain, it's pretty great.

:yossame:

lol @ janitoring your keychain with dropbox or whatever

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
There's nothing to janitor, you tick an option in the client and point it to the dropbox folder.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Dodoman posted:

There's nothing to janitor, you tick an option in the client and point it to the dropbox folder.

NICE ASPERGERS

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Skim Milk posted:

NICE ASPERGERS

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

hackbunny posted:

lol
I miss men's pants and their big rear end pockets sometimes

dresses with pockets are fully awesome but are like a unicorn

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Skim Milk posted:

NICE ASPERGERS

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

uncurable mlady posted:

icloud, or 1password's own cloud storage if you're willing to pay a few bucks a month

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

lol @ entrusting ur password store to a third party

they're pretty much designed for that

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm using spideroak to back up some of my stuff. There was a goon referral thing years ago, where you got 7 gigs for free. Maybe the thread is still in SH/SC, haven't checked.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
my macbook chargers rubber cable cover finally broke at the end near the connector after 2 years of use. had to bandage it with some electrical tape :/

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

my macbook chargers rubber cable cover finally broke at the end near the connector after 2 years of use. had to bandage it with some electrical tape :/

take it to the apple store and tell them you feel it's a fire hazard, 99% chance they'll give you a new one for free. go when there aren't a lot of people.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

... apple store ... go when there aren't a lot of people.

that's gonna be tough, unless "not a lot of people" means "pretty busy" as compared to "so packed with people it smells like a farm".

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

should I get the fifteen inch touch bar or not

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

AWWNAW posted:

no get the 13 inch escape

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

AWWNAW posted:

why pay for it when you can get it for free

txt me :wink:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mishaq posted:

why pay for it when you can get it for free

txt me :wink:

but who's going to supply the other 11 inches?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

DuckConference posted:

no get the 13 inch escape

I already have the 2013 thirteen inch with dedicated escape button. screen too small

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

AWWNAW posted:

i mean... it's "ok", the lack of esc button is made up by the Touch ID login which is honestly nice.

i have one and it's sad that I can't enthusiastically recommend but it's a great laptop, just too expensive for what it ended up being

i think the iPad Pro is close in performance or something

• Locked thread