Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sacrificing yourself to save others is usually pretty good PR.

I think his films portrayed him as being a beacon, but with a cynical press and populace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BrianWilly posted:

I don't feel.......total monotone ambivalence...towards Cyborg...I guess?

Cyborg's one moment is okay, but they haven't actually given us anything meaty yet. He's had like one line in all three trailers.

Also I don't like the style of joke where all the characters act edgy and then Flash quips about it. It's not that funny and feels like doubling down even if the overall tone is lighter.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aphrodite posted:

They never actually got around to portraying Superman as the beacon of hope that trailer is trying to sell him as.

Clark saved the entire world in MoS. BvS had a monument to Superman in the movie, in a location called "Heroes Park" to commemorate what happened in MoS — while BvS explored how many painted him as a false god or a potential threat, it also showed instances where people literally worshipped him.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

teagone posted:

BvS had a monument to Superman in the movie, in a location called "Heroes Park" — while the film explored how many painted him as a false god or a potential threat, it also showed instances where people literally worshipped him.

This might as well be nothing. The movie does a bad job of showing Superman in the context of positivity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has Marvel done its big SDCC stuff or did they shift that to D-23

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arist posted:

Yeah, that was a real headscratcher.

There's actually numerous scenes in BvS where large crowds of people are shown looking upon him as a saviour.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhyno posted:

There's actually numerous scenes in BvS where large crowds of people are shown looking upon him as a saviour.

Those same scenes where Superman looks bored and aloof? Yeah, what a shining beacon of all that's good in the world.

Those scenes don't convey Superman being a good person, they convey how alien he is.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Arist posted:

This might as well be nothing. The movie does a bad job of showing Superman in the context of positivity.

Okay, just completely ignore prominent aspects in the movie to support your criticism.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

teagone posted:

Okay, just completely ignore prominent aspects in the movie to support your criticism.

Like????

e: "There's a statue of Superman in the park so people like him, nothing else required" is some piss-poor dramatic storytelling, if that's what you're trying to say

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay, so apparently the Flashpoint movie is the Flash movie. As in, it's not two films, it's just that the first Flash film will be called Flashpoint.

??..???????????...???

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It doesn't matter if the denizens of the DCEU think Superman is great. They never built him up for the audience.

*Calling them "people" would be a stretch

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's statues of confederate generals all over the US.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Beachcomber posted:

It doesn't matter if the denizens of the DCEU think Superman is great. They never built him up for the audience.

I was literally about to make this exact post, thank you

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why is this hard to grasp? It's a story where they already have every major player cast, and the more of them they put on screen the more money they make.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Okay, so apparently the Flashpoint movie is the Flash movie. As in, it's not two films, it's just that the first Flash film will be called Flashpoint.

??..???????????...???

Well that's less bad then, I assume now it won't have anything to do with the Flashpoint event.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man of Steel 2 directed by Matthew Vaughn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
YEah to the audience Superman as a savior just doesn't feel earned. Which is rather ironic since they bash us over the loving head with it in both Man of Steel and BvS. Also you know how a lot of people like to joke that Man of Steel is a good live action Dragonball Z movie? Looking at both that and Batman Vs Superman I'd say they were trying to make Trigun but with all the likeability sucked out of the characters.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

At risk of exacerbating this: the statue is not really a "prominent" part of BvS by any stretch, and the only significance it plays is Scoot McNairy's character trying to destroy it, meaning that its presence actually represents a net negative re: perception of the character.

Rhyno posted:

Well, that's neat.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Cyborg sounds like a robot complete with monotone voice. I could have sworn cyborg's thing was he is a human trapped/coping with his new (mostly) robotic body

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Also I just remembered that Wonder Woman is technically part of the DCEU, but it really doesn't fit because WW and her scenes in BvS should really just be their own, better, thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

The monument to Superman in Heroes Park is a direct/positive correlation to the events that happened in Man of Steel. Visually, it's a stunning portrayal of humanity's willingness to accept him as a savior. A large part of BvS' narrative sought out to show humanity's other side of that, so naturally there would be story elements where Superman is reflected upon in a negative light; the tone of BvS reinforces this notion, so I totally understand what you're saying. I just personally don't feel the same way.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How could you "just remember that" and how does it not fit?

The end of her movie literally ends with her going to stop a crime which appears to happen at the beginning of this trailer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Yes, yes. I like this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a statue in the specific city he saved personally.

Like when they put a statue of a heroic dog in the local park.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You people are reaching so hard for any excuse to bash this film.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I liked it, Cyborg actually looks promising, somehow. Little too heavy on the bullets and bullet dodging though, also lol Wonder Woman dodging a bullet that was going to miss her anyways.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It's a statue in the specific city he saved personally.

Like when they put a statue of a heroic dog in the local park.

Came off more like a War Memorial to me :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Every executive in Hollywood simultaneously decided like a year and a half ago no more two part movies. Avengers 3 did the same thing.

Any particular reason? I'd thought the three big two-part movies (the last Harry Potter, Twilight and Hunger Games ones) had all done quite well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

DC's 1 for 4 in most people's eyes and I don't even like WW, so it's not exactly a reach to be skeptical dude

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

So it's like Marvel movies in CineD?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Hey, I just remembered, Kingsman 2 is also out this year.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
"Snyder's Superman isn't very inspirational" is the least edgy reach you can reach for. A lot of people came away from those films with that impression.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Any particular reason? I'd thought the three big two-part movies (the last Harry Potter, Twilight and Hunger Games ones) had all done quite well.

It worked for the first two, but not Hunger Games. $750mil and $650mil are still really good of course, but are both $100mil drops from the movie before them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, man was that last Hunger Games slow

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Again, let's ignore the multiple scenes in BvS where Superman saves people and is clearly worshipped and praised as a savior.

Let's just ignore these things that are in the theatrical cut.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I got a laugh out of that last gag. Everything else seems standard fare. I just rolled my eyes at the Superman stuff.You can tell me he was a beacon of hope, I guess. Good on DC for being willing to even mention Green Lantern for another few years.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhyno posted:

Again, let's ignore the multiple scenes in BvS where Superman saves people and is clearly worshipped and praised as a savior.

Let's just ignore these things that are in the theatrical cut.

Let's just ignore the last page of discussion about how the movie fails to present these things properly.

Let's just ignore these things that are right above your post.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Let's ignore the end of BvS, his state funeral and memorial, and how people lionize the dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arist posted:

Let's just ignore the last page of discussion about how the movie fails to present these things properly.

Let's just ignore these things that are right above your post.

Let's ignore that those posters are doubling down on how much they hated BvS and will find any excuse to point that out. The scenes work just fine and clearly show the average joe in the BvS universe either loves Superman (the DotD scene) or hates him (the capitol hill scene).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rhyno posted:

We can have a Superman movie that's finally fun!

• Locked thread