Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
No one is a big enough nerd to want a centrifuge. Do you know anyone that is that big of a nerd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Croatoan posted:

No one is a big enough nerd to want a centrifuge. Do you know anyone that is that big of a nerd?

Even I don't care about a centrifuge.

Doubt I would even bother with one for work.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I want a centrifuge for making flavorings, but not enough to pay $800 for one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I want a centrifuge and would gladly pay, like, 150 for one. Not 800.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

rgocs posted:

Metal underneath was quite shiny after washing. I could try barkeeper's friend. There does seem to be rust on the underside of the comal.

Yes.

You could also use a grinder with a light flap wheel on it. It would take a steady hand, but it would get it to bare metal in a hurry.

I would also love that thing if you don't end up getting it useable.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have been told a wok doesn't work well with an electric stove. Is there something similar that has a better surface area in contact with the burner? My frying pans are too small to really do stir frys or fried rice without spilling poo poo all over the place.

E: Okay, woks with a wider bottom exist, I'm not just crazy. Kenji says to get one of those.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 22, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm going to piggyback off of this comment above, I like the idea of woks but every time I've gotten one it's been crap. Chances are, it's because I bought crap woks when I was younger, but sometimes I do stirfries and need the space and pan movement.

Can anyone recommend a good wide-bottom wok for a glass top that isn't total poop?

[Ed] also, I got my Tramontina Tri-Clad and so far so good. :)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Wok and glass top are mutually exclusive and that's why your results haven't been great

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Papa John Misty posted:

Wok and glass top are mutually exclusive and that's why your results haven't been great

No my results haven't been great because I bought lovely woks when I was an idiot youngster. I only recently have a glass top. :)

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Feenix posted:

No my results haven't been great because I bought lovely woks when I was an idiot youngster. I only recently have a glass top. :)

Then the only thing that's changed is being young.

Unless it's induction. Then get 15-20k btu butane burner to use indoors or go for an outdoor propane setup.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sextro posted:

Then the only thing that's changed is being young.

Unless it's induction. Then get 15-20k btu butane burner to use indoors or go for an outdoor propane setup.

Maybe I didn't explain well enough. That's on me.

I've had woks she I was younger. I never used them because they were sucky trash. I bought sucky trash. At the time I had gas.

Now, I am older and don't own a wok but do own a glass top. I was asking if any good woks are available that work with being on a glass top. Sounds like most likely not. That's fine. :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The problem is no standard cooktop, be it glass or otherwise, is gonna put out the heat needed for traditional wok cooking. A gas range can come the closest with something like a 20,000 btu burner, but actual wok burners are more like 150,000 btus. My advice is get an outdoor wok burner, or go cheap like me and use a propane turkey fryer, which will get you a hell of a lot closer in terms of btus (but won’t focus the flame the same way a wok burner does). But it’s still far far better than anything I can do on my 20,000 btu gas burner.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking for a good instant read meat thermometer. Any suggestions?

Also, do I need one for the oven? To see if my 325 F is actually at 325F? I have a laser thermometer, so I assume that would be just as accurate as an oven one?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Looking for a good instant read meat thermometer. Any suggestions?

Also, do I need one for the oven? To see if my 325 F is actually at 325F? I have a laser thermometer, so I assume that would be just as accurate as an oven one?

When in doubt, Thermapen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
For $30, the Thermopop is great. If you can swing $80-100, the Thermapen.

A laser thermometer will get the temperature of your oven wall, but what you really want to measure is the air in the middle of your oven, so I recommend getting an oven thermometer.

If you already have a laser thermometer, maybe you can stick a stoneware pan in the middle of the oven, let it sit for a while and measure that (keep in mind that laser thermometers get wildly inaccurate readings of bare steel unless it has a specific steel mode, so measuring a steel pan probably won't help)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 22, 2017

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The problem is no standard cooktop, be it glass or otherwise, is gonna put out the heat needed for traditional wok cooking. A gas range can come the closest with something like a 20,000 btu burner, but actual wok burners are more like 150,000 btus. My advice is get an outdoor wok burner, or go cheap like me and use a propane turkey fryer, which will get you a hell of a lot closer in terms of btus (but won’t focus the flame the same way a wok burner does). But it’s still far far better than anything I can do on my 20,000 btu gas burner.

I do my wok stir frying over a ripping hot charcoal grill.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Ah, good to know. Thanks! :)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

rockcity posted:

I do my wok stir frying over a ripping hot charcoal grill.
Yeah, if you don't want to buy a separate burner one of the hinged Weber grates with a circular cutout in the centre works well. Or you can just cook on top of a chimney starter.

That said, my crappy KitchenAid flattop electric range has a 20k burner and I use a cheapass Chinatown-special flat-bottom wok on it. It's not `real' wok cooking or whatever, but for a random middle-of-the-week pork rice bowl or whatever the gently caress it's just fine. Have to keep portions small, but it's still nicer to have the extra real estate as opposed to using a fry pan, skillet, or whatever.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Just did risotto in an Instant Pot for the first time, and I have to say it turned out pretty drat great. And I found the saute function was actually warmer than I thought it would be. I have to get the liquid to rice ratio better, it turned out a bit dryer than I'd like, but THE WIFE was surprised at how well it turned out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I feel like this thread is saying that you can't do it right without specialized equipment, so don't bother getting one otherwise." Are you just supposed to not do stir frys or fried rice at all? Because it seems dumb to lit yourself like that.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Should be re-seasonable, although if it's carbon steel it might take a little extra effort.
After some work, steel wool, barkeepers friend, elbow grease, then wire brush on drill, then some more barkeepers friend, it's looking better: http://imgur.com/a/5cYh3

No idea if it's "carbon steel". I was just going to season it along with the cast iron skillets: warm up, put fat, clean fat, one hour at 400F, repeat. Should I do differently?

bongwizzard posted:

You could also use a grinder with a light flap wheel on it. It would take a steady hand, but it would get it to bare metal in a hurry.

I would also love that thing if you don't end up getting it useable.
Wire brush on drill worked well so far. I have to get it useable , as it's normally needed most days of the week! But will keep you in mind if it goes badly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nah, same process

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I feel like this thread is saying that you can't do it right without specialized equipment, so don't bother getting one otherwise." Are you just supposed to not do stir frys or fried rice at all? Because it seems dumb to lit yourself like that.

Well, you can make "fried" something, but you won't be making "stir fry". Which is fine if you like soggy, greasy vegetables and rice, but not if you're going for that wok hei.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jan posted:

you won't be making "stir fry"

:rolleyes:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

No, there's a real difference, it's not just pedantic accuracy. You're not making the same dish, it won't taste the same, and it won't have the same texture.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BRB, telling half the people in urban China they aren't actually making stir fry because an internet poster said it doesn't count if you are using a stove. If you can't make something tasty and not soggy on the stove, perhaps it's you that's the problem.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Someone who's been to China can chime in here, but I think Chinese stoves typically have two burners and are much more powerful than western stoves

edit: or maybe not, it sounds like people use induction cooktops at home now?
https://forums.egullet.org/topic/145626-wok-cooking-are-home-stoves-really-not-hot-enough/?page=2

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 23, 2017

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
What is the recommendation for an instant pot?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flaggy posted:

What is the recommendation for an instant pot?

Get the older cheaper 6 quart or the 8 quart. The newer 6 quart seems to have features nobody cares about for $20 more

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jan posted:

Well, you can make "fried" something, but you won't be making "stir fry". Which is fine if you like soggy, greasy vegetables and rice, but not if you're going for that wok hei.

If you just pretend you have a restaurant wok stove, you will get lovely results. If you work to the size of your burner and cook in small batches, you can get a reasonable approximation.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

baquerd posted:

If you just pretend you have a restaurant wok stove, you will get lovely results. If you work to the size of your burner and cook in small batches, you can get a reasonable approximation.
Yeah. And there are specific techniques and dishes that really require a lava-hot cooking surface but the idea that that's all a wok is for seems to be a myth mainly propagated by people who don't have much depth of knowledge on the subject but want to show off that they know what wok hei is.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Steve Yun posted:

Someone who's been to China can chime in here, but I think Chinese stoves typically have two burners and are much more powerful than western stoves

edit: or maybe not, it sounds like people use induction cooktops at home now?
https://forums.egullet.org/topic/145626-wok-cooking-are-home-stoves-really-not-hot-enough/?page=2

I live in urban China and this is what I have (which is pretty typical)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

In rural China, this is pretty common still and what a lot of people are doing their wok cooking on:

e:

And the induction thing isn't really what people want, it's just that in urban China there are a lot of incredibly crappy apartments that don't even have a real kitchen, so people are buying these portable induction things to make do: http://item.jd.com/3563508.html

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 24, 2017

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

baquerd posted:

Working in batches will help avoid sogginess, but on my electric range, I could never get proper stir fry "flavour" even with a rip roaring hot cast iron wok. This article of Kenji's helped me understand a lot about the temperature drop and I came to accept I just won't get as nice results with my gear.

That said, the wok on grill method works surprisingly well with briquettes on my ratty old gas grill -- make a little nest of briquettes, set the wok in the middle, and let her rip. :getin:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

RE woks: https://youtu.be/VfxkrrndtMQ

I'm not sure if making this is smart.

But jfc my gas hob sucks balls (large burner is single rings), and I am *really* tempted to.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Alternatively there's the Wokmon, a metal baffle that goes over your gas burner and redirects all the flame upwards. It has been plagued with years of delays however, so I'd wait till it ships to preorder customers first to wait for reviews (not to mention the $80-90 asking price)
https://www.wokmon.com

OR

You could just take the burner cap off your gas burner and light the pipe with a BBQ lighter:

It tops out at 800°f in 3 minutes, enough to take the seasoning off. The hottest part is in the center, unlike when I leave the cap on, where the hottest part is a 5 inch ring around the middle. When I leave the cap on, it tops out at 700°f after 6 minutes.

Of course, I can only speak for stoves that look like one of these old fashioned things:

Don't do this with a round wok, it doesn't sit stable.

:siren: Also be aware that the flames come out sideways about an inch radius farther out than when the cap is on, at least on my stove. YMMV, be cautious and verify (from a distance) how far the flames shoot out sideways on your stove, etc. :siren:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 24, 2017

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Horse Clocks posted:

RE woks: https://youtu.be/VfxkrrndtMQ

I'm not sure if making this is smart.

But jfc my gas hob sucks balls (large burner is single rings), and I am *really* tempted to.
That's cute, but 22k BTU is just barely more than the max output of the biggest hob on a typical residential range. Starting at around US$50 you can get a standalone propane burner that's actually designed for what you want to do and will output 50k+ BTU. For like US$200 you can get a 65k BTU standalone outdoor propane wok burner that comes with a bigass carbon steel wok. And so on.

I mean if you like loving around with poo poo by all means gently caress around with poo poo. But this isn't one of those things where your only option is to MacGyver some poo poo or pay like a grand.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I use a flat bottom carbon steel wok on an electric coil stove, and it works fine but you really only want to cook 2 servings of food max at a time

Not a big deal because it only takes me a few minutes to cook up the other 2 servings for lunches the next day

It's a Joyce Chen (?) that I bought at some cooking store at the mall for $35

It's not perfect and of course I don't have some 10,000 BTU stove but I can cook decent-tasting stirfry in it and can also fry up cubes of pork/chicken as well

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bob Morales posted:

It's not perfect and of course I don't have some 10,000 BTU stove but I can cook decent-tasting stirfry in it and can also fry up cubes of pork/chicken as well

Not to detract, but if you don't have a 10k burner, you may be working with a toy stove. 12k is the minimum I've seen for the largest burner in recent years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Did baked beans in the instant pot this morning. Took 2 hours start to finish, and they turned out perfectly.