Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MrYenko posted:

Tom Hardy: Suddenly less cool.

Safely behind Kurt Russel, certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'd kill anyone in this thread for a ride in a Spitfire. What the gently caress Tom Hardy.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

cowboy elvis posted:

Maybe he doesn't care for vintage Russian airframes.

Just got out of Dunkirk.

See the Yak's more circular cowl took me out of the scene every time they used that shot. Why can't I just enjoy things?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
It took me a while to figure out what kind of plane this is. Saw the picture in some news site. So I'll just leave it here for you to figure out

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

0toShifty posted:

It took me a while to figure out what kind of plane this is. Saw the picture in some news site. So I'll just leave it here for you to figure out

http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

0toShifty posted:

I know I know

BAe-146

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

priznat posted:

I know I know

BAe-146

It's like a teensy C-17! :3:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'd kill anyone in this thread for a ride in a Spitfire. What the gently caress Tom Hardy.

And I'd add in everyone's families for the chance to spend my Hollywood Actor Money on flying lessons so I could actually fly the things. But no, he wimps out.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Delivery McGee posted:

It's like a teensy C-17! :3:

If you think the 146 is tiny, look up the D328JET - it's a baby 146.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Looks more like a DC-8 super 60 or 70 with CFM56's to me. Is it a NASA jet?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tsuru posted:

Well I'll be damned!

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Tsuru posted:

That's it! It's NASA's DC-8-72.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Finger Prince posted:

Well I'll be damned!

It's like a 707 with less refinement.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Point of :spergin:: Super sixties are stretched, super seventies are super sixties, re-engined with CFM-56s. Super sixties have JT3s.

:eng101:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drat! I was sure it was a high wing, and the 146 was those skinny pylons.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Would a 146 have the legs for Antarctic flights?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

slidebite posted:

Would a 146 have the legs for Antarctic flights?

Yes they actually use them for tourist trips.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cowboy elvis posted:

It's like a 707 with less refinement.

No no no, that's the JSTARS. Antique engines, ancient ex-civilian airframes, tortured souls, etc.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

priznat posted:

drat! I was sure it was a high wing, and the 146 was those skinny pylons.

Nasa's DC8 has a lot of extra optical apertures on it for helping research missions - maybe that photo was taken from one of the ones not on the same level as the passenger windows. It even has a place where there's one on the top of the aircraft, and one on the bottom, with a trap door in the floor to make them both available to observe from at the same time!

Friday it was in California flying in literal circles.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Point of :spergin:: Super sixties are stretched, super seventies are super sixties, re-engined with CFM-56s. Super sixties have JT3s.

:eng101:

Absolutely right, the 72 was the short fuselage and the 71/73 long fuse, the 72/73 had the larger wing.
Always loved the DC8 since I saw the Sky Truckers (?) documentary on Discovery channel when I was a kid, the first kind of cockpit video I ever saw. A grizzled old crew complete with toothless F/E taking a clapped out old -61/-62 with hushkits (stage III!) and a garmin taped to the glareshield into Nigeria and Tblisi and some other godforsaken places during the 1990s. The stuff dreams are made of.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 23, 2017

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

0toShifty posted:

This somehow reminds me of those eBay postings showing something shiny and you can see the cameraman naked in the reflection.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm more curious about what the heck is going on in the snow on the ground. If the plane isn't super low, that's a really big path through some really deep snow. Caribou or something?

Edit: Found the article via Google image search, so nevermind, now I know. :v:

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

The Locator posted:

I'm more curious about what the heck is going on in the snow on the ground. If the plane isn't super low, that's a really big path through some really deep snow. Caribou or something?

Edit: Found the article via Google image search, so nevermind, now I know. :v:

Here's a news article if anyone else wants to know more. Says the photo was taken in November 2016. It's the Larsen C crack in a 2,240 sq mile ice shelf. It broke off a few days ago.

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-iceberg-antarctica-20170712-story.html

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

0toShifty posted:

Is this one of those things that suggest a climate-induced doom for humanity? not the plane

edit - I should have read to the end of the thread probably

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

bewbies posted:

Is this one of those things that suggest a climate-induced doom for humanity? not the plane

edit - I should have read to the end of the thread probably

That crack has been there for a very long time.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The crack was first spotted in 2010 as far as I can tell.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

glynnenstein posted:

The crack was first spotted in 2010 as far as I can tell.

According to the article, the crack was already present (at least part of it) in the early 60's when Larsen C was first photographed. The newsworthy thing they are reporting on now is that the crack finally got long enough to make a large chunk of the shelf break off and become an Iceberg of Unusual Size.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Here, have a naked WB-57.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

0toShifty posted:

Here, have a naked WB-57.

Why are they driving a WB-57 in primer?

EDIT: Also does it have 3 pitot tubes?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

CarForumPoster posted:

Why are they driving a WB-57 in primer?

EDIT: Also does it have 3 pitot tubes?

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/v2/2013/08/10/nasas-new-wb-57-n927na-flies/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oh my god, those are TF33s?!? Mean time to pilot hearing loss: 14 minutes.

Besides that, that's cool as poo poo. That plane's former squadron now operates B-2s.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Best week of the year to live in Madison. Just non stop rotary traffic all day. god bless you EAA :allears:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I'm the unpainted tail and nacelle soon to learn the true meaning of sand.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Follow up on that question about the Korean aircraft that was routed to avoid Russia, something came to my attention today. Apparently the Russians won't allow operation in their airspace without TCAS, so it's possible that the aircraft in question had a bad TCAS and had to take the alternative routing.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Staying in Greenville, TX for a few nights, have seen two low-flying Rivet Joints already. Wasn't planning to stay here, so didn't bring the bkg Nikon to get photos of them. Oddly, I lived here for three years and never really noticed them.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Good lord, the Privateer was goofy looking:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
It's just a Liberator with a B-17 tail and some extra turrets. In a world where the Brits were allowed to commit crimes against aesthetics with 30 years of bomber programs, it's not worth mentioning.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Ball turrets fore and aft I get, for increased range of motion, but was there any benefit to those waist blisters compared to the "pintle mount in a square hole" approach seen on most bombers? Crew comfort due to less wind noise on long maritime patrol flights (the PBY had 'em too), and/or bomber designers decided they'd rather carry another bomb or two and make the crew slightly less comfortable?

Edit: for reference, here's the waist gun position on the bomber version:

"V for victory! Or something like that." :v:

I like the little retractable wind-deflector flap, presumably they could pop a bit of plexiglass over the hole for ferry flights, or maybe leave it open all the time and just pop out the spoiler (which would hurt fuel economy no matter what's in the window) when the guns are manned? Edit again: I didn't notice it at the time, but yeah, looks like there's a sliding door above the hole, and the gun is placed far enough forward that it can be swung to the rear and go inside (hopefully there's some kind of swing-out stop that prevents that when in use, like, when the wind-spoiler is activated it also pops out a little guard-bar on the opposite edge of the door to keep the gun muzzle OUTSIDE the airplane).

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 27, 2017

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Given that they're only on Navy bombers, I'm going to assume it's a keep as much of the salt water as possible out of the plane thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I think it was to improve the gunner's field of view to spot shipping or submarines.