Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

roomforthetuna posted:

Seems weird to be complaining about the 'spy shots' then, why aren't you saying "yes, that is a valid picture of a Tesla interior and it is better than the Bolt interior"?

When is a comparison ever done with one photo being a promotional photo and the other being an off to the side spy shot?

That's just disingenuous.

And yes I do care for the Model 3 interior more. Doesn't mean I would say it has a better interior than the objectively agreed upon i3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

:chloe:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

blugu64 posted:

I thought Elon took delivery a week or so ago..hummm
Car was built, but delivery will be with the other 29 cars on the coming Friday.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Good lord. I honestly thought the steering wheel was turned 180*. That dashboard looks awkward as gently caress, too...I hope it's just the camera angle.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Oops, the steering wheel blueprint was printed upside down.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

The Sicilian posted:

Because it is an entirely subjective thing, we all have different opinions.

The Sicilian posted:

Doesn't mean I would say it has a better interior than the objectively agreed upon i3.

:lol: keep your story straight

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Looks more useful than the model 3 interior we've seen so far.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Godholio posted:

Good lord. I honestly thought the steering wheel was turned 180*. That dashboard looks awkward as gently caress, too...I hope it's just the camera angle.

Go sit in one. It's genuinely one of the best interiors I've ever encountered in a car. Ok so it's not deep pile sheepskin, leather and wood for days like a Rolls but for a car in the budget of non-oligarchs, it stands above pretty much anything else, including all of BMW's mainstream offerings. The only thing is, it is different, in the same way this

is different to, and not to the same taste as, say this.

and most companies are just offering up a faux-leather knock-off la-z-boy recliner with light up cupholders and most folk are just fine with that because it's better than the foldout camping chair they might be used to

Ok I admit I kind of lost the plot with this analogy. I'll shut up now. The i3 is really nice though.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Look I dont care WHO started it you BOTH are going to behave back there and shut the gently caress up about which EV interior tickles your balls better.

If I have to stop this car before the 10 miles left we have on this charge SO HELP ME GOD.

e: by all means argue till you're blue in the face about which ones better, but keep the personal insults down.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 22, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The i3 gets a lot of its only poo poo about its looks. People that try it tend to love it. That interior (and exterior) looks awkward, but test drivers says it's laid out very well and makes perfect sense after only a short while. I think BMW has nailed...something. They have a good, broad selection of brains in house.

Driving the Kia Soul a bit was good for thinking about how Tesla messed up the interior of the Model S. The Model S has deep doors with fancy panels, but no door pocket. The KIA has grey econoplastic, but with a pocket including a molded bottle shape and a molded pictogram warning saying not to put takeaway coffee cups there. The Model S has a great right armrest, but the cupholders are underneath the sliding armrest cover and the cup is exactly where you want to put your elbow. If you do put your cup there, it's awkward to reach. The KIA has a nice armrest and cup holder exactly where your hand wants them to be when using the armrest. It also has a rubber matted tray that perfectly matches the keyfob + extra keys, and another which easily accomodates a mobile phone or two, next to the aux, USB and 12 v outlets. The KIA has a nicely damped, smooth opening sunglass compartment in the roof behind the rear view mirror, the Model S has nothing for sunglasses, just a little shelf where things slide out of under the slightest acceleration. Those things matter more than superficial "premium feel" stuff, to me anyway.

KIA didn't do anything amazing, didn't invent anything, they just stuck with a good selection of simple, obvious ergonomic de facto standards. Tesla flamboyantly threw away the rulebook, then had to rummage through the dumpster to pick some of the pages back when doing updates and Model 3. If I could choose anything I'd have a Model S with BMW 5-series interior, but if I had to choose a real thing I'd just pick a Model S and deal with it.

e: it honestly took me three hours to write this between dinner, edits, TV, etc, I didn't get the mod warning. I didn't call any names at least. Assface.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Naw that was a great and thorough post and you should feel proud of making it you fuckhead.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

The reason the Soul interior is better than the Tesla model $m is that Kia is a car manufacturer that considers things like UX whereas Tesla is an electric powertrain manufacturer where it is considered "good" "design" to slap a touchscreen in the center of a bare dash and ship the resultant mess. Great range though!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I want an i3 but only because I can't imagine the intense smug feeling from telling someone that my car is made from "carbon-fiber reinforced plastics". :smugmrgw: Also, like everyone else I heard that the i3 is actually a hell of a nice car to drive.

Honestly though, the announcement of the new BMW 3-series electric comes across as bizarre, as I'm not sure where the i3 fits in the product line going forward. Yes, it's the smaller, lighter "city car", but unless we find that the all-electric 3 is the same price as, let's say a mid-range 5-series, there's not really a reason to consider the i3 at all. Especially considering that the electric 3 is claimed as having 200+ miles of range.

Also if BMW makes an electric 3-series wagon available in the US I may need to sell all my worldly possessions to get my fat, greasy fingers on it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ripoff posted:

I want an i3 but only because I can't imagine the intense smug feeling from telling someone that my car is made from "carbon-fiber reinforced plastics". :smugmrgw: Also, like everyone else I heard that the i3 is actually a hell of a nice car to drive.

Honestly though, the announcement of the new BMW 3-series electric comes across as bizarre, as I'm not sure where the i3 fits in the product line going forward. Yes, it's the smaller, lighter "city car", but unless we find that the all-electric 3 is the same price as, let's say a mid-range 5-series, there's not really a reason to consider the i3 at all. Especially considering that the electric 3 is claimed as having 200+ miles of range.

Also if BMW makes an electric 3-series wagon available in the US I may need to sell all my worldly possessions to get my fat, greasy fingers on it.

The i3 is a goofy look-at-me hybrid/ev like the Prius, while the 3-series electric is just a normal rear end car but hybrid/ev like the Camry Hybrid.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Ripoff posted:

There is large internal worry about EV 3 series cannabilizing i3 sales. I'm not sure I want an electrified 3 series, a carbon tub spaceship looking hatch is more like it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Sicilian posted:

Cool story, how many bolts have you driven?

The sales number tell all there* is to know.

Two, and I've driven three Teslas. How many of each have *you* driven?

Speaking of i3s, I spent a few days with one of the 94Ah ones a couple of weeks ago, expect a shortish review (more an update to the one we did in 2014) at Ars some time soon.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 23, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Speaking of, do any of the non-tesla EVs you've driven actually have balls beyond "its quick off the line on the way to a 8 second 0-60 time"?

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

Two, and I've driven three Teslas. How many of each have *you* driven?

Speaking of i3s, I spent a few days with one of the 94Ah ones a couple of weeks ago, expect a shortish review (more an update to the one we did in 2014) at Ars some time soon.

No bolts, but I have driven every Tesla from the roadster to x and own my model s. Saw the bolt on display at The Grove and didn't care the interior aesthetic.

Which do you like better, the i3 or the Bolt's interior?

Regardless, I want to see how the Bolt's interior holds up. Looking forward to Consumer Reports long term testing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Sicilian posted:

No bolts, but I have driven every Tesla from the roadster to x and own my model s. Saw the bolt on display at The Grove and didn't care the interior aesthetic.

Which do you like better, the i3 or the Bolt's interior?

Regardless, I want to see how the Bolt's interior holds up. Looking forward to Consumer Reports long term testing.

The Bolt is a 30k car. The i3 is a 55k car. I prefer the i3 interior but (and I like the car a lot) it's not worth $55k.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

The Sicilian posted:

Lol if you think that a promotional shot to a spy shot is comparable you are on drugs.

Dude the production model looks exactly the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIYG0NR42LU

quote:

And the comment made was ANY tesla. Please go ahead posting spy shots for an unreleased model tho.

That is the final production model. As everyone who has ever driven a car can see, it's a huge mess ergonomically.

The Sicilian posted:

The newest Chevy Cruze is CR's highest rated compact car and the Volt has excellent long term reliability. Meanwhile Model S is ranked somewhere between second to third to last just ahead of FCA.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
This is all well and good but how many times has Tesla declared bankruptcy vs. General Motors?

GM has a heck of a lot more to prove to me than 'Oooo that darn Elon :argh:' Tesla.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I can't even tell who is being serious now.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Godholio posted:

I can't even tell who is being serious now.

It is like when internet poker went from 90% of the players not even knowing the rules and just throwing money away to 90% of the players being full time pros with automated software tracking all your playing habits and multabling 40 games at a time in order to make $3 an hour.

Everyone is a professional troll.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

drgitlin posted:

I prefer the i3 interior but (and I like the car a lot) it's not worth $55k.

Two of my friends and myself independently came to the same conclusion on the i3. It's for people who want to be seen driving an electric; Same line of thinking as the i8. Great car, but there's at least three hybrid/electrics I'd buy over it, not to mention that $50k puts you in the same ballpark as quite a few really attractive ICE car lines.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The i3 just worries me as I don't imagine too many places are going to stock the wagon wheel tires it has outside of the dealership.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Tirerack has them

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Gamesguy posted:

Dude the production model looks exactly the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIYG0NR42LU

That is the final production model. As everyone who has ever driven a car can see, it's a huge mess ergonomically.

The newest Chevy Cruze is CR's highest rated compact car and the Volt has excellent long term reliability. Meanwhile Model S is ranked somewhere between second to third to last just ahead of FCA.

You just linked me to a video for the chevy Bolt, the bolt is for sale and under production. It's not fair to compare a promotional shot of the chevy and a spy shot of the model 3 interior with engineer diagnostic tools and wires going all over it.

Must be an outlier, as I really like the economics of the Tesla. I'm a tall guy, and it just feels right.

Also lol at cherry picking GM's two biggest success stories, if those cars were representative of every GM produced you might have a point.

But yet, they put out the Spark ICE and EV version which had horrible ratings in every regard.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 23, 2017

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

It is like when internet poker went from 90% of the players not even knowing the rules and just throwing money away to 90% of the players being full time pros with automated software tracking all your playing habits and multabling 40 games at a time in order to make $3 an hour.

Hey now, I did this for over a year. That hits too close to home. PokerTracker was gold.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

blugu64 posted:

The i3 just worries me as I don't imagine too many places are going to stock the wagon wheel tires it has outside of the dealership.

Just don't lease it for longer than the tires last.

(And don't buy a German car.)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bizwank posted:

Tirerack has them

I think the concern was more "I need a tire TODAY."

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At least depreciation is hitting them pretty hard. Already can find i3s under $20k which makes it a very interesting option.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

IOwnCalculus posted:

At least depreciation is hitting them pretty hard. Already can find i3s under $20k which makes it a very interesting option.

Woah really? Do they have significant battery degredation or anything ala Leaf?
That is a really interesting option indeed.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I think the concern was more "I need a tire TODAY."

Exactly. Getting a flat in rural Texas on a Sunday was fun enough in a Volt, which has a normal enough tire size. 20-50~ miles to find a place that was open, and fortunately had a tire in stock, plus Dealers ain't open on Sundays in Texas. I was also fortunate enough to have a ride and not need a tow.

When you're 300+ miles from home, have a flat, and need to be at work the next day, you're kinda hosed with an i3. The Volt, not so much, which is part of the reason I bought it over an i3.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Quote is not edit

Edit: since I was a dumbass and already made this post, I will say that it sold me on TPMS. I got a pop up alert on the dashboard, and was able to hook a u, and pull over before tire pressure went to wheel damaging levels.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 23, 2017

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
"Mini's new plug-in hybrid packs thrills into a compact cruiser"

"That's not bad for a hybrid that's this fun to drive. In case you're unfamiliar, here's the thing about Minis: They're fast, agile things, and this hybrid is thankfully no exception. An electric motor works in tandem with a 3-cylinder Turbo engine to produce 221 horsepower, enough to push the Countryman from zero to 60 in about 6.7 seconds. In my experience, that has made it a perfectly snappy city ride: This plug-in hybrid has enough oomph to beat others off the line, which helps tremendously with jostling for position in crowded lanes."

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/21/mini-countryman-hybrid-test-drive/

Surprised it took this long for a mass model to roll out. This seems like a no brainer given Mini's target demographics.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Woah really? Do they have significant battery degredation or anything ala Leaf?
That is a really interesting option indeed.

I don't think they have the Leaf problem, but there's also the version with the range extender too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

blugu64 posted:

Exactly. Getting a flat in rural Texas on a Sunday was fun enough in a Volt, which has a normal enough tire size. 20-50~ miles to find a place that was open, and fortunately had a tire in stock, plus Dealers ain't open on Sundays in Texas. I was also fortunate enough to have a ride and not need a tow.

When you're 300+ miles from home, have a flat, and need to be at work the next day, you're kinda hosed with an i3. The Volt, not so much, which is part of the reason I bought it over an i3.

If your use case involves being 300 miles away from work a day before you have to be there, you'd be an idiot to have an i3 as your vehicle for that trip. That's like me saying "I have to collect a bookcase I just bought but I only have a McLaren 650S and it's not even the spider."

Eventually, people are going to realize that we're entering a period where there are going to be more niche cars, and that's Ok. The future of transportation (I really do want to murder whoever made "mobility" a thing) is going to be multimodal, and one size isn't going to fit all. Everyone has their own special edge case and the solutions won't all be the same.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

The Sicilian posted:

"Mini's new plug-in hybrid packs thrills into a compact cruiser"

"That's not bad for a hybrid that's this fun to drive. In case you're unfamiliar, here's the thing about Minis: They're fast, agile things, and this hybrid is thankfully no exception. An electric motor works in tandem with a 3-cylinder Turbo engine to produce 221 horsepower, enough to push the Countryman from zero to 60 in about 6.7 seconds. In my experience, that has made it a perfectly snappy city ride: This plug-in hybrid has enough oomph to beat others off the line, which helps tremendously with jostling for position in crowded lanes."

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/21/mini-countryman-hybrid-test-drive/

Surprised it took this long for a mass model to roll out. This seems like a no brainer given Mini's target demographics.

The Countryman is the best CUV I've driven because it's small and light (compared to everything else in that class). Didn't drive the phev as I was at Formula E but am looking forward to it, I would hope it would be a hard one for them to gently caress up.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

drgitlin posted:

If your use case involves being 300 miles away from work a day before you have to be there, you'd be an idiot to have an i3 as your vehicle for that trip. That's like me saying "I have to collect a bookcase I just bought but I only have a McLaren 650S and it's not even the spider."

...I agree? Thats what I was saying. That's why I said I bought a Volt over an i3. Give it a bigger gas tank, and normal wheel sizes, and I would have looked at an i3 too.

Edit: it was thanksgivings weekend for what it's worth

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Sorry if that came off as needlessly harsh. Perhaps it's reflected anger that should go to BMW for building a car I like that's way too expensive for what it gives you.

• Locked thread