Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

9 Princes in Amber and Wizard of Earthsea

Hate to agree on something with Top Anime Freak, but yes, Ursula Le Guin's fantasy is good, as is her sci-fi stuff (perhaps the greatest author of the genre, tbh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Narnia is also really solid. It's a kid's series and obviously Christian as gently caress, but they're solid kid's books.

Narnia blew my mind as a kid. It's probably one of the shockingly unexpectedly deep kids series next to Animorphs

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Earthsea is good. Le Guin is always really political in all her writing, which I like, and the tight focus of the books compared to sprawling GoT is probably better from an artistic point of view. I still enjoyed GoT more. Silly pleb me, I guess.

Narnia is a nice super dated Jesus allegory if you are into that kinda thing.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

One of the things I appreciate about game of thrones that I think makes it stand out from alot of other fantasy works is that everything in it is a consequences of the characters actions. If somebody dies or betrays somebody or whatever it's always traceable back to some specific decision and thats really refreshing.

The most tenuous thing I can think of is the white walkers attacking but even that sorta works because they imply that the white walkers are born from the children of crastor (and presumably other idiots beyond the wall). He gave them all his sons and each of them became a white walker allowing the army to grow and their influence to spread/raise more dead people. Crastor isn't one of the main characters in the books so his actions don't really count when I point out that everything is character's consequences, but he was allowed to continue what he did for so long because the night's watch made an exception for him. John knew when he first met Crastor that the night's watch should have killed him and burned his keep as a traitor, but they chose to let him continue and feed the white walkers strength because it was convenient for them to have a safe location beyond the wall.

Which might be reading too far into it in this one circumstance but certainly I think the rest of the story is much more solidly 'character actions->consequences->plot' instead of just poo poo happening to them.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Jul 22, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

Earthsea is good. Le Guin is always really political in all her writing, which I like, and the tight focus of the books compared to sprawling GoT is probably better from an artistic point of view. I still enjoyed GoT more. Silly pleb me, I guess.

Narnia is a nice super dated Jesus allegory if you are into that kinda thing.

Lathe of Heavens is the best scifi novel, period, imo

doverhog
May 31, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Lathe of Heavens is the best scifi novel, period, imo

I'm trying really hard to pick a "best scifi novel" and failing so I'll name a really good one that was in contention instead. Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

As for GoT, the show is really well done, but honestly the books are far, far, far, far better.

*Is GRRM*

*Writes hundreds and hundreds of characters that don't matter to the plot and peppers them into every scene*

*Spends pages and pages describing all the various foods at a dinner*

*Has the most popular character go on a pointless quest to discover 'where whores go' which was a jokey one-off line from his rear end in a top hat father*

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

I'm trying really hard to pick a "best scifi novel" and failing so I'll name a really good one that was in contention instead. Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks.

Also: A Fire Upon The Deep.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

steinrokkan posted:

Also: A Fire Upon The Deep.

this book is definitely worth reading

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

WampaLord posted:

*Has the most popular character go on a pointless quest to discover 'where whores go' which was a jokey one-off line from his rear end in a top hat father*

:ohdear: you don't actually think he doesn't know that right? I mean like the book has problems but subtext...

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've read A Deepness in the Sky but not that one, gonna reserve it from the library now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Agent355 posted:

:ohdear: you don't actually think he doesn't know that right? I mean like the book has problems but subtext...

I dunno, I definitely got the impression that it was both a mantra of madness and that also Tyrion desperately wanted to find out where Tysha went.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The books are definitely good reads if you're the kind of nerd that posts on forums, but ADWD definitely falls off a bit. Especially the Tyrion parts. Even the show shows it, Tyrion used to be a fan favourite but Dinklage has had gently caress all to do for the past dozen or more episodes, even his goofy accent is slipping.

It's extra noticeable because Dinklage is one of the few established, really good actors left alive and the focus has shifted onto the talented-but-not-Charles-Dance younger stars.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Turtlicious posted:

Being fat has a lot to do with hosed up brain chemistry and addiction, and should be treated as a disease, rather than something you "will" yourself out of.

There has never been a single case of "willing" yourself out of a situation, where bootstraps were the proper answer.

Ah, the "professional victim" philosophy.

Tell that to the goons who lost all their excess weight in YLLS.

EDIT: Are you British, by any chance?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I read a trilogy by LeGuin as a teenager, I can't remember the namr but it kind of turned me off of reading any more of her stuff, because all three books focused on like losing your virginity and reading and it made it all feel samey, and then I read the beginning of the latge of heaven and it went right into the sex stuff with his aunt and I was all ok I guess this is all ya got then and never finished it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Agent355 posted:

JK rowling put out another novel series, detectives I think, under a pen name and nobody bought it. It was critically panned and sold incredibly few units, then she came out and said 'it was I, dio, all along' and all of a sudden it was critically acclaimed and people bought it.

Wikipedia posted:

Before Rowling's identity as the book's author was revealed, 1,500 copies of the printed book had been sold since its release in April 2013, plus another 7,000 copies of the ebook, audiobook, and library editions. The book surged from 4,709th to the best-selling novel on Amazon after it was revealed on 14 July 2013 that the book was written by Rowling under the pseudonym "Robert Galbraith".

The book received almost universal critical acclaim. Most of the reviews came only after Rowling became known as the author, but the early reactions were generally complimentary as well.
Sounds like it was doing pretty well and people liked it even before they knew who wrote it?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Sounds like it was doing pretty well and people liked it even before they knew who wrote it?

You think 8500 copies is "doing well" for a book?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
All books suck, so, yes?

I'm assuming that's a big number.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It was almost 5,000th on a best seller list. It is not a good number. There are erotica books about people loving bears higher than 5,000th.

8,500 is not really absolute gutter trash but it is firmly in the 'nobody really gives a poo poo' section.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Jul 23, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If it's a first time author why would anyone take notice of it unless there was crazy advertising? Sales figures lie anyway. "Marcel Proust was a Neuroscientist" was on the top 10 list and the writer turned out to be a self-plagiarizing hack.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I bought The Silkworm, one of those Robert Galbraith books , at a junkshop without knowing it was J.K Rowling. It was a decently written genre fiction book, but I can't imagine the series ever being a huge seller without the Harry Potter connection.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Book chat reminds me of another PHUO: I almost always prefer non-fiction to fiction. If I'm interested in a subject and like the author's style, I know I'll come away with something worthwhile from a non-fictional book. I can love everything about a fictional book- the subject, the characters, the writing style, the arcs and themes- and then the author can gently caress it up on the last loving page and I want to hurl the drat thing across the room. Or in a series, it starts to fall apart and I feel like I've wasted an investment. I've been burned enough that I only ever read classic poo poo anymore.

And on that note, gently caress Charles Dickens. loving hack.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WampaLord posted:

You think 8500 copies is "doing well" for a book?

Yeah? From what I've read, anyway. Like, there are a tiny number of super successful authors who sells millions of copies, but for most authors that would be considered a success?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Unpopular opinion: they only put ed sheeran in that episode because they knew there was nothing else in it to keep people talking about the boring dead show that is the game of thrones.

They've actually been trying to get him on as a cameo for years because Arya's actor is a big fan and they wanted to surprise her.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fantasy fiction is bad. I think fantasy works best as short stories and role-playing games, not as novels. Novels are too long and self-indulgent for fantasy. Short stories make you tell a tighter story: get in, make your point, get out. Robert E. Howard's The Tower of the Elephant is legit better than any fantasy novel. If it was adapted to a novel it'd be a bunch of bullshit for hundreds of pages. But as a short story it is tight and coherent and exciting and fast-paced and evocative. As for rpgs, those are all about players creating their own experiences so theyre less about one author enjoying the sound of their own voice for 300 pages. Clark Ashton Smith's The Weird of Avoosl Wuthoqquan or The Tale of Satampra Zeiros are both better than Game of Thrones and Harry Potter combined.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
in many cases, kink-shaming is actually good. Some kinks are absolutely shameful as hell

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

in many cases, kink-shaming is actually good. Some kinks are absolutely shameful as hell

my kink is kinkshaming others

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
PYF Kinkshame

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

such as anime

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Yeah? From what I've read, anyway. Like, there are a tiny number of super successful authors who sells millions of copies, but for most authors that would be considered a success?

I mean, for like a first time author i would be pretty stoked about it but on a national scale with any sort of promotion that's pretty awful

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Brits are at least as dumb as Americans

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tolkien rules and if you don't like his work it's because you don't "get" it. Reading LotR is like reading a medieval chanson de geste more than it is like reading a novel.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

hawowanlawow posted:

Brits are at least as dumb as Americans

True but theyre less fat. Australians are equally fat but less dumb. Or so it seems to me, i could be wrong.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Blue Star posted:

True but theyre less fat. Australians are equally fat but less dumb. Or so it seems to me, i could be wrong.

Straya is definitely the dumbest of anglo countries.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tolkien rules and if you don't like his work it's because you don't "get" it. Reading LotR is like reading a medieval chanson de geste more than it is like reading a novel.

I have an English degree and professional writer parents and this is still one of the douchiest sentences I have ever seen.

Also incredibly wrong, it has interesting world building and language work, saddled under a slog worse than Dickens. And that motherfucker got paid by the word.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

I mean, for like a first time author i would be pretty stoked about it but on a national scale with any sort of promotion that's pretty awful

But don't you have to judge it by the standard of a first-time author since no one knew it was her?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Bamabalacha posted:

I have an English degree and professional writer parents and this is still one of the douchiest sentences I have ever seen.

Also incredibly wrong, it has interesting world building and language work, saddled under a slog worse than Dickens. And that motherfucker got paid by the word.

an english degree, holy poo poo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aesop Poprock posted:

How was it marketed and promoted?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chris Nolan needs to dump Hans Zimmer. Interstellar, Dunkirk, and Inception have obnoxiously loud music blaring all the loving time telling you how you're supposed to feel just in case you're too dumb to understand what's happening on the screen. Just shut the gently caress up or quiet down the music for a bit and let me listen to the sound of boats exploding in peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fruit on the bottom posted:

How was it marketed and promoted?

Well I was a manager at Barnes and noble at the time and it had a shelf feature so it wasn't like a locally sold thing