Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Randarkman posted:

I wonder how Zeus made her, if it was anything like his other encounters with mortal women.

Break out the slide rule, those magical godlike cross species infants don't possess enough muscle mass to crack through eggshells of that size

MOVIE RUINED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Space Crabs posted:

Break out the slide rule, those magical godlike cross species infants don't possess enough muscle mass to crack through eggshells of that size

MOVIE RUINED.

Also, where do their navel strings go inside the egg?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Crabs posted:

I think if I'm going to extend my disbelief to "Zeus King of Gods created Wonder Woman" then I might forgive her not looking toned enough when she moves something.

Do you guys that whine about this have a muscle woman fetish or something because it makes no sense why a greek god would need to hit the bowflex before a fight.

That P90X routine is what makes the difference in lifting 30 ton weights over your head.

Then why is Superman muscular? Or Thor?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Because it's a power fantasy for young men.

Rich Evans laid it out well in one of the HitBs about either Man of Steel or BvS, Superman is just a 6 year old's idea of being in charge. "You can't make me go to bed, I'm Superman!"

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 23, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

because they choose to be?

By that logic hulk should be able to lift mjolinir because he is more swole than thor when you consider a common sense approach of MORE STRONGER EQUAL MORE BIGGER divorced of "Hey it's literal loving magic" fiction terms that define the universe.

I'm sure superman doesn't poop out indestructible turds that clog up metropolis sewers despite it making sense that a invulnerable biological humanoid would still excrete invulnerable waste, but my sense of disbelief will get over it because he inhabits a world that includes the norse and greek gods as literal real characters.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Superman doesn't poop.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

Because it's a power fantasy for young men.

Rich Evans laid it out well in one of the HitBs about either Man of Steel or BvS, Superman is just a 6 year old's idea of being in charge. "You can't make me go to bed, I'm Superman!"

Then why doesn't Wonder Woman get the same treatment?

Space Crabs posted:

because they choose to be?

They're fictional characters portrayed by actors in movies made by massive corporations. Thor and Superman are huge because patriarchy prizes power and physical strength in men but not women.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Because little girls (for the most part) don't want to be big and muscular, they want to be beautiful/glamourous/etc.

Media targeting different demographics is made differently. :monocle:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

They're fictional characters portrayed by actors in movies made by massive corporations. Thor and Superman are huge because patriarchy prizes power and physical strength in men but not women.

Does Zizek weigh in on how much muscle mass and body fat percentage a greek god should have to move say, a tank?

Osric
Sep 25, 2012
I liked Wonder Woman & Spider-man: Homecoming because the protagonists were idealistic and naive and that made a nice change from the usual gritty world-weary hateful fuckheroes.

I felt like the heroes in both films actually learnt something about the world they were in over the course of the film, which was interesting.

But they were both flawed movies in lots of other ways. They were silly and trite and pandering and Wonder-woman in particular drowned amongst endless stupid exposition.

I liked Sense of an Ending.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Once again Yug comes in and plays you guys like goddamn fiddles. Look on this retarded argument about whether wonder woman should be muscular or not, ye mighty, and despair.

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't quite understand this.

Do you think most women aspire to be huge and muscled? They do not.

Do you think most men are compelled to be huge and muscled? They are not.

Do you really think an authoritarian conspiracy would want people to be as physically tough and strong as possible? Surely that would be counter to their interests as a ruling elite?

Also I've never read the Thor comic books but I have read the Eddas and Thor is significantly less huge than the beings he faces and willing to dress as a lady. So gently caress off with your SJW bullshit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

Once again Yug comes in and plays you guys like goddamn fiddles. Look on this retarded argument about whether wonder woman should be muscular or not, ye mighty, and despair.

Normal people call it a discussion, Yug is not some puppet master for talking about a thing and then having other people discuss the same thing, you dolt.

Osric posted:

So gently caress off with your SJW bullshit.

:yikes:

E: VVV You can just not post if you think the discussion is bad. Or suggest a change of topic.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 23, 2017

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yes, great discussion guys. :discourse:

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

WampaLord posted:

E: VVV You can just not post if you think the discussion is bad. Or suggest a change of topic.
If I didn't post just because a discussion was bad I would never post on SA.

But I actually don't think the discussion is bad, just some of the opinions are dumb, and I did suggest a change of a topic. Sense of an Ending was a pretty clean, efficient engaging adaption although not something with wide-appeal or long-term staying power. Jim Broadbent is great.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Osric posted:

If I didn't post just because a discussion was bad I would never post on SA.

But I actually don't think the discussion is bad, just some of the opinions are dumb, and I did suggest a change of a topic.

I was talking to a bone to pick with that line.

The :yikes: emote was meant for your little screed.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
In other news, Dunkirk was a hell of a picture.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd watch a comic book movie if the men and women looked like horrible Rob Liefeld art brought to life.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I'd watch a comic book movie if the men and women looked like horrible Rob Liefeld art brought to life.

GOOD NEWS!

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I was talking to a bone to pick with that line.

The :yikes: emote was meant for your little screed.
Go on, currently I have no idea what the gently caress you're trying to say, "I was talking to a bone to pick with that line" is loving indecipherable to me, are you drunk?

Maybe try and talk like a sincere adult with words and stuff and skip the emojis?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Osric posted:

Go on, currently I have no idea what the gently caress you're trying to say, "I was talking to a bone to pick with that line" is loving indecipherable to me, are you drunk?

Maybe try and talk like a sincere adult with words and stuff and skip the emojis?

Well, there are usernames and whatnot over on the left side and if you scan back a few posts you'll say that "a bone to pick" is another user's username and maybe you'll get the idea as to what I'm saying.

I did the "yikes" emote because you equated the idea of "men fantasize about being strong and powerful" as "SJW bullshit"

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I did the "yikes" emote because you equated the idea of "men fantasize about being strong and powerful" as "SJW bullshit"
I definitely did not say that. You only have to scroll up like an inch from your own post.

I suggested that the idea that a difference between the fantasies of men and women was purely down to outside manipulation was bullshit.

I suggested that a comprehensive reading of available sources about Norse mythology belies the idea of Thor as the most manly of all manly men and that actually there is an ambivalence there.

I am now further suggesting that you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about. Everything you know comes from movies, or comics or tumblr posts and somehow you've cobbled together some tragically maladaptive worldview that crumbles when it touches reality.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Osric posted:

I am now further suggesting that you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about. Everything you know comes from movies, or comics or tumblr posts and somehow you've cobbled together some tragically maladaptive worldview that crumbles when it touches reality.

Mate, what loving thread do you think you're posting in?

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
Mike's Palpatine impression is on point and gets better every time he does it.

Osric
Sep 25, 2012
Jim Broadbent is a real actor and he'd like Americans to acknowledge this before he dies.

Also, I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but they really didn't need to do the "SURPRISE, SHE'S SOMEHOW MARY JANE EVEN THOUGH HER NAME IS DIFFERENT!" thing at the end of the spider-man film. I think the audience could have accepted her as an original character with a different name which is what she was. It felt dumb for the film to announce that the character who is nothing like Mary Jane and is not called Mary Jane is actually Mary Jane.

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Mate, what loving thread do you think you're posting in?
It's a statement about you. It's true everywhere you are.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Osric posted:

It's a statement about you. It's true everywhere you are.

I don't exist. I'm a username and a series of posts.

In a sense, I am ENDLESS TRASH!

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I don't exist. I'm a username and a series of posts.

In a sense, I am ENDLESS TRASH!
So you agree that Jim Broadbent is a pretty good actor and the sudden MJ was kinda silly and also that you're an evil demonic hateful sadistic fluid-sucking skuzzy piece of poo poo?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

This isn't the Game of Thrones thread, why are you talking about Jim Broadbent?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Osric posted:

So you agree that Jim Broadbent is a pretty good actor and the sudden MJ was kinda silly and also that you're an evil demonic hateful sadistic fluid-sucking skuzzy piece of poo poo?

Yes, yes, and...eh, kinda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lffg88WDRg

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
lol just lol if this isn't your ideal Wonder Woman:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HIJK posted:

lol just lol if this isn't your ideal Wonder Woman:

:eyepop: She can tie me up anytime

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I wonder who likes The Flaming Lips

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

Krinkle posted:

This isn't the Game of Thrones thread, why are you talking about Jim Broadbent?
Was he really in Game of Thrones?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Osric posted:

Was he really in Game of Thrones?

Yeah, he was all like, "Ahhhhh, everybody always says the world's ending and it never ends, so quit your bitching." So they could have someone proved wrong at the end of the season.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Not sure if this has been posted before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjAWqtYqfeE
http://www.prfbbq.com/

The site looks like one of Jay's projects, but I guess it's a real thing?

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

mallratcal posted:

Please don't post Petrillo Poster Children poo poo you pervert.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

mallratcal posted:

Think that was Josh at the very end.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mike's grilling up that juicy Shaq meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

mallratcal posted:

Nervous Curtains is the only band name I've actually heard of on that list and I'm legitimately angry that someone booked them to tour outside of Dallas.

• Locked thread