Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

marktheando posted:

Finally made it back from my endless journey! Some dick started scanning me just as I was entering the station, frantically popped a heat sink and made it unscanned!

12 million from the mission (damnit I thought it was 24 for some reason) and another 10 mil for the exploration data. Guess I would have made a ton more with a surface scanner and if I had been more thorough about scanning things. But still that's plenty to buy some nice spaceship parts.

Good job, way to not blow it at the last minute. Surface Scanners are pretty good, you'll be a very experienced and prepared explorer next time. Diamondback Explorer and Asp Explorer are my favorites for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Asimov posted:

Good job, way to not blow it at the last minute. Surface Scanners are pretty good, you'll be a very experienced and prepared explorer next time. Diamondback Explorer and Asp Explorer are my favorites for obvious reasons.

Confirm: Bananaboat Bestboat.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I've got 6 hours played now and I still feel like a loving idiot.

These missions I've taken say to go to a location, then go to the conflict zones in those areas and kill a certain amount of Red some shitheads. It's listed as "Harmless", which is fine, because that's apparently what I am.

Every single time, I go and look at every conflict zone, and every motherfucker there is with some Security Force. Some are marked "Lawless", which seems super hosed up for a Security Force, but that's not really my point.

What am I supposed to be doing differently here?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Drake_263 posted:

A Vulture fit with dual C3 G5 double shot frag cannons with the x-mods of your choice is basically like flying a hilariously upscaled Super Shotgun from DOOM. Bonus points if you name it the DFS Rip and Tear.

https://eddp.co/u/SAWWvpod

Are these good for pvp? I have trouble with shields.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Sdoots posted:

These missions I've taken say to go to a location, then go to the conflict zones in those areas and kill a certain amount of Red some shitheads. It's listed as "Harmless", which is fine, because that's apparently what I am.

Every single time, I go and look at every conflict zone, and every motherfucker there is with some Security Force. Some are marked "Lawless", which seems super hosed up for a Security Force, but that's not really my point.

Right-hand panel, tab all the way on the right, there is a faction selection button at the top of the list. Pick the opposite of the one you want to kill!

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Sdoots posted:

If you've only got 6 hours played you should probably stay the hell away from combat zones. You're gonna get wooked hard.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah, combat zones are not good places for anything but the finest ships with artisanal handcrafted engineering mods out the wazoo (and maybe three buddies). You will get chumped hard trying to solo a CZ in a ship with non-engineered modules, even Pythons, Vultures, FDLs and Anacondas get melted. Stick to Resource Extraction Sites and nav beacons for now. You'll still make credits, without swarms of milspecced ships focusing you down.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah, combat zones are not good places for anything but the finest ships with artisanal handcrafted engineering mods out the wazoo (and maybe three buddies). You will get chumped hard trying to solo a CZ in a ship with non-engineered modules, even Pythons, Vultures, FDLs and Anacondas get melted. Stick to Resource Extraction Sites and nav beacons for now. You'll still make credits, without swarms of milspecced ships focusing you down.

Just go to a conflict zone and stick near the ships of the faction you're pledged to.
You won't be mass-locked against high-waking, so if you mess up your positioning leap out.

This makes a lot of money, assuming you've accepted 2-3 massacre missions each worth a few mil + combat bonds.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 22, 2017

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DreadLlama posted:

https://eddp.co/u/SAWWvpod

Are these good for pvp? I have trouble with shields.

I wouldn't know, I've been avoiding PvP in this game like the plague. I feel like that kind of a loadout kind of ignores the Vulture's ridiculous shield ratios, though - it's got obscenely sturdy shields for somehting its relative size. Try biweaves and a couple of shield boosters.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Haven't played since Monday, logged-in last night and got informed that I have an 82,000 cr bounty on my head. I didn't have any undelivered cargo and I've never attacked anyone. wtf

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Haven't played since Monday, logged-in last night and got informed that I have an 82,000 cr bounty on my head. I didn't have any undelivered cargo and I've never attacked anyone. wtf

Did you have any unpaid fine? They turn into a bounty after 7 days.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Natsuumi posted:

The bounty system is really, really loving irritating and way worse than the last time I played.

I just want to pay the credits & get it dropped, a loving 5,000 credit bounty cost me a 12 million rebuy and an NPC copilot I'd been ranking up for days because I didn't realize and got caught by system security near a space station.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Unclamps from a landing pad. Boosts to the exit, windows drops to desktop

"HEY BRO DO YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE COLOUR SCHEME!?"
aaaaaaaaaah! tab back in tab back in! No, don't! Keep current, and never ask me ever again, EVER. AGAIN.
"lol k cya next reboot"

Every loving time! CPU and GPU are only pushed to about 20%! Benchmarking doesn't trigger it!

[edit] Action Center > Change Action Center settings > Maintenance Messages > "Windows Troubleshooting" is unchecked. It's always been unchecked.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 22, 2017

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Natsuumi posted:

Ah, that's probably it

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Managed to score a 49% FSD roll on my dolphin and a 55.4% on my DBX. Only took like 5 or 6 rolls for the latter. fully loaded my DBX does just above 55ly and at max jump hits 60. I could probably get it higher with better lightweight mods but I can't access lori jameson and gently caress that. You need dangerous combat rank to meet her but she's in the founders system which you need elite to enter. Why the gently caress did they put her there :cripes:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Managed to score a 49% FSD roll on my dolphin and a 55.4% on my DBX. Only took like 5 or 6 rolls for the latter. fully loaded my DBX does just above 55ly and at max jump hits 60. I could probably get it higher with better lightweight mods but I can't access lori jameson and gently caress that. You need dangerous combat rank to meet her but she's in the founders system which you need elite to enter. Why the gently caress did they put her there :cripes:

because endlessly shooting space rocks for a few handfuls or arsenic wasn't enough of a kick in the nuts for the engineer grind :cripes:

ask me what i'm doing right now

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Someone wasn't a Kickstarter backer. :colbert:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

coupedeville posted:

because endlessly shooting space rocks for a few handfuls or arsenic wasn't enough of a kick in the nuts for the engineer grind :cripes:

ask me what i'm doing right now

Is it endlessly shooting your space nuts over and over.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Is it endlessly shooting your space nuts over and over.

I decided to take a break to spend spacebux outfitting a vulture that I have literally no idea how to use because i've never done any real combat in this game

ninja edit I named it mostly harmless after my combat rank

ninja edit 2 I seriously considered naming my anaconda after its rebuy cost

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Can I still buy the stuff needed for that Farseer engineer, or does it need to be mined?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

You can buy a meta alloy at Maia, station Darnielles Progress.

Datamined wake exceptions! How? I've been wake scanning but nothing.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

You can buy a meta alloy at Maia, station Darnielles Progress.

Datamined wake exceptions! How? I've been wake scanning but nothing.

I found the fastest way to get datamined wake exceptions is to find a system in a famine state and look for a distribution centre POI. 3/4 ships will jump in and jump out every <minute or so you can get a lot of scans in a short amount of time.

e: :lol: people are still so mad at quince. My buddy has been ganked twice by the same guy (yes open etc). Imagine how sad your life is that ganking defenceless players you perceive as playing the game the """wrong""" way is the only power you have in your life :v:

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 23, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I found the fastest way to get datamined wake exceptions is to find a system in a famine state and look for a distribution centre POI. 3/4 ships will jump in and jump out every <minute or so you can get a lot of scans in a short amount of time.

e: :lol: people are still so mad at quince. My buddy has been ganked twice by the same guy (yes open etc). Imagine how sad your life is that ganking defenceless players you perceive as playing the game the """wrong""" way is the only power you have in your life :v:

Ganking defenseless players is God's Good Work. Winging up to kill the guy who killed your buddy is also content. :colbert:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Imagine being the kind of person who psychoanalyses people they perceive as playing the game the """"wrong"""" way.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Only just now realised you can turn off the frameshift drive lady without turning off all sound.

Was getting a bit annoying when out exploring.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Dabir posted:

Imagine being the kind of person who psychoanalyses people they perceive as playing the game the """"wrong"""" way.

It wasn't me I asked a therapist with the millions of free quince money in my pocket.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

John F Bennett posted:

Only just now realised you can turn off the frameshift drive lady without turning off all sound.

Was getting a bit annoying when out exploring.

I'd like to be able to use the voice of the computer from Elvira Martuuk's base

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

I'd like to be able to use the voice of the computer from Elvira Martuuk's base

Now that's a voice with character

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is there a way to tell why my docking permission is denied? Station full up or could there be another reason?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

marktheando posted:

Is there a way to tell why my docking permission is denied? Station full up or could there be another reason?

If you're in solo it's generally a NPC hogging the pad, they should leave after a min or two.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Daztek posted:

If you're in solo it's generally a NPC hogging the pad, they should leave after a min or two.

I'm in open. I did wait around, and even when I saw people leave I was still denied. I guess other ships might have beaten me to getting permission? The system was pretty busy (near a community goal, and sells the required items) but the ships near me were NPCs.

Also I notice some bases on planets you can't even lock on and ask for docking permission, I'm assuming I need to be friends with the factions that control them?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

marktheando posted:

I'm in open. I did wait around, and even when I saw people leave I was still denied. I guess other ships might have beaten me to getting permission? The system was pretty busy (near a community goal, and sells the required items) but the ships near me were NPCs.

Also I notice some bases on planets you can't even lock on and ask for docking permission, I'm assuming I need to be friends with the factions that control them?

If all the pads on a station are full and you request a docking permit, the station will helpfully kick out an NPC pilot to make room - you'll see them start the undock sequence, but of course it'll take time for them to undock.

The problem is that if there are only players docked, the station can't just up and punt someone off the pad (although it would be hilarious). YOu can either wait around for someone to leave, or you can log out of the game and log back in in solo/private model - you'll be near the same station, but without other players involved.

Fair warning, sometimes a bunch of shitheads or another decides to specifically hang around and idle on pads to 'blockade' community goal systems, especially if the station involved has limited pads to begin with. Of course you can get around it by playing solo, but still.

Also, not all planetary settlements are dockable - a settlement icon with three towers, with a tall one in the middle, is a dockable one. The smaller icon with two shorter towers doesn't have accessible docking pads.These are typically designed to be targets for those 'go kill some skimmers' or 'scan colony datapoint' type missions, and sometimes you can find useful data off local datanodes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you don't want to go to the trouble of relogging and changing mode twice you can go to supercruise, loop around, and drop back out to reroll the instance.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Are you sure those aren't installations? They don't have landing pads - they serve as targets for missions/sabotage, and they have data points you can jack to sell for credits

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sultan Tarquin posted:

imagine being so silly as to play in open for this sort of thing :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

👏don't👏play👏in👏open👏

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Thanks, that's all helpful. The game could be a lot clearer about this stuff. I was wondering if the station hated me for the factions I'd helped or something.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

marktheando posted:

Thanks, that's all helpful. The game could be a lot clearer about this stuff. I was wondering if the station hated me for the factions I'd helped or something.

If the station hated you it would be because you're hostile to that station's faction and it would show up red and would basically notify you that you'll be shot on sight.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

👏don't👏play👏in👏open👏

i mean play in open if you want but realize the game has no real crime/punishment mechanic and 90% of your interactions with other players while doing something worthwhile is going to be negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Wish I would have taken screenshots of the time I accidentally fell asleep sitting in open on the only medium pad of a community goal outpost. So much rage. I felt bad about being an annoyance but drat.

• Locked thread