Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This looks like a funny or die sketch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chairman Capone posted:

Isn't she a 9/11 Truther also? Although maybe I'm confusing it with her being a "the moon landings were faked" conspiracist.

I think she's also one of the people still defending Bill Cosby.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

goddamn, having withdrawals in a wtc elevator on 9/11/2001 is a bad day

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I really hope one scene just has Robert Pattinson walking by in the background with no emphasis or fanfare.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I love that the trailer feels the need to say "based on true events." Like, no poo poo.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

I love that the trailer feels the need to say "based on true events." Like, no poo poo.

Hearing all this Truther poo poo, I'm surprised it doesn't call them "alleged events."

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I've not read the book, so I don't know what it's supposed to look like, but here's the trailer for Ready Player One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L96owcBOQhk

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
I _HATED_ the book, but that was a pretty fun trailer

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Iron Giants, Freddy Kruegers, Delorans....

Kinda down for that dumb poo poo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I didn't read the book, but for some reason I thought it was supposed to be a satire predicting that we'd reach a pop culture singularity that just keeps looping on itself, harvesting bouts of nostalgia that recur over decades

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I didn't read the book, but for some reason I thought it was supposed to be a satire predicting that we'd reach a pop culture singularity that just keeps looping on itself, harvesting bouts of nostalgia that recur over decades

While I can't look in Ernest Cline's heart of hearts, the general impression is it is exactly that except not a satire.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah the book is like page after page of 100% not self aware praising of gamers and people who memorize nerd stuff as being superior to those who don't and how people into video games and 80s movies are the intellectual and martial saviors of humanity. It's awful. It's just badly written in general too.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
its cool...u get like japanese guys saying, u r so honorable for giving us ultraman senpai! we will fight with u till the death & then like 3 lines from a Rush song & then maybe a poorly written description of what it looks like when someone plays Joust

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Then again, look at the internet right now. Maybe it is satire.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ready Player One ends with the main character spending his life savings to become a professional poopsocker, living in a tube that feeds and poops him while he balloons in weight and plays on the internet to try and save a girl he's never met in real life. At no point is this described as a weird thing to do, only something heroic and necessary.

It's bad.

Literally the only good thing about RP1 is that it opens with Oingo Boingo's "Dead Man's Party". I've never been so baffled about how a novel became so popular.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 22, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ready Player One ends with the main character spending his life savings to become a professional poopsocker, living in a tube that feeds and poops him while he balloons in weight and plays on the internet to try and save a girl he's never met in real life. At no point is this described as a weird thing to do, only something heroic and necessary.

It's bad.

Literally the only good thing about RP1 is that it opens with Oingo Boingo's "Dead Man's Party". I've never been so baffled about how a novel became so popular.

Uhhh

I hope this isn't in the movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's bad.

The only exposure I have to this book is the I Don't Even Own A Television episode, but that ending sounds pretty realistic. Just look up any white male YouTuber and you got probably a %30 chance of him being basically this.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

Uhhh

I hope it is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well, it won't be the first time Tye Sheridan was in a poop tube.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That three note musical motif at the end is definitely from Willy Wonka.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Spielberg is pretty good at making magic out of mediocre books so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Ya I agree with all the things said above about the book being garbage. This movie must have been a licensing nightmare. But I gotta give Spielberg credit for nailing the look tho. It's exactly how I imagined it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

I _HATED_ the book, but that was a pretty fun trailer

Same. I'm fully prepared to hate myself for enjoying this movie.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Gonz posted:

That three note musical motif at the end is definitely from Willy Wonka.

The whole tune when he gets in to his VR thing seems to be too, before the very electronic whatever-i'm-old-alreadyIcan'ttellthedifferencefromgenresanymore music starts.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Desperado Bones posted:

The whole tune when he gets in to his VR thing seems to be too, before the very electronic whatever-i'm-old-alreadyIcan'ttellthedifferencefromgenresanymore music starts.

Either you're really, really old, or not that old at all, because that song is "Tom Sawyer" by Rush and it came out in 1981.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Having not read the book (but having heard some about it) the trailer seemed encouragingly uncomfortable.

All the scifi extravaganza and the ending shot of the guy in wide-eyed astonishment is contrasted with the fact that we're actually seeing a teenage trailer-tenant distracting himself with an Xbox.

My thoughts when the Iron Giant ('s image) was briefly on screen were, roughly in order:

1.) Wait, why is that here?
2.) Oh, right. This is the IP with all the references to earlier media in it.
3.) I liked the film The Iron Giant. I like the character the Iron Giant. The Iron Giant is good.
4.) This is all deeply hosed up.

I think the film has potential.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 22, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Uhhh

That would be incredible to see on screen, to be honest.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It's easy to see how the premise has satirical potential, you describe it and half the responses are "oh it's a joke right?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm interested in Ready Player One because of Spielberg. The concept gives him free reign to do full CG action and he did that well in Tintin. On top of him just being Spielberg in general.

It's also a fairly simple and short story. It's a cat and mouse treasure hunt story capped off with a big battle at the end. Pretty easy to adapt as IPs go, except for the licensing of the thousand different characters and vehicles.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

ChickenMedium posted:

Either you're really, really old, or not that old at all, because that song is "Tom Sawyer" by Rush and it came out in 1981.

I was born in 1981, so WELL.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Desperado Bones posted:

I was born in 1981, so WELL.

you old

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Maybe Spielberg is aware that at 70 years old he probably only has a few more movies and he just said gently caress it. I don't know why else he'd direct this schlock. I can't imagine he's passionate about the book as it's sounds geared towards 20 year old introverts.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's a miracle Ready Player One is directed by Spielberg. It's a book that reads like it should be adapted by Seth McFarlane.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It still looks like garbage.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Uhhh

Well it won't be because that's not what happens in the book. I mean, it's still really stupid, just not that. He starts off a fat loser but because rich, famous and skinny (he buys an expensive personal training program) because of his success at playing the videogame.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Having not read the book that is an odd trailer. Are all of the characters showing up in this already owned by the studio or did they have to license some of them?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Valerian is bombing hard as expected and is going to earn less than $20 mil this weekend domestically.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

FlamingLiberal posted:

Valerian is bombing hard as expected and is going to earn less than $20 mil this weekend domestically.

I can't believe a movie based on a weird French comic book, featuring two incredibly wooden B-list leads, is bombing miserably!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I saw Valerian on Friday and it...

Well, it's pretty. That's pretty much all it has going for it.

I wanted to like it. I want more sci-fi optimistic about the future. I love the ideas Luc Besson has stuffed into the background. I love the weirdness of everything. It's a gorgeous film. The problem is the writing wasn't there to do anything with the cool background elements. It's just a big pretty ball pit for the main characters to run through. Also, Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne have almost no chemistry together, hell, if you told me Dane DeHaan was on another continent and they green screened him in like Gandalf in the Hobbit I'd have no reason to doubt you.

I'd recommend just watching Fifth Element again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm pretty sure just about every Luc Besson film can be described as 'good looking, but mostly empty'

• Locked thread