Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I really need some neo-lib hack to write a lovely satire of Rensin's piece that posits leftists all have suppressed sadomasochist Oedipal complexes, which manifests in their constant obsession with discussing Hillary Clinton and slavery.

You don't understand what "metaphor" means, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Avirosb posted:

Agreed. I'm as green as they come when it comes to politics and I don't know the whole history but what goes on in Ukraine and Israel doesn't seem all that different to me.

There's a massive difference between those two, and it's what makes Israel so much worse.

When Russia conquered Crimea, the people were permitted to stay and made into citizens with voting rights. Of course this being Russia the elections are not exactly free and fair, but the Crimeans are in the same boat with the rest of Russian citizenry there.

The difference with Israel is, Israel takes land from Palestinians, but drives the the Palestinian people away. The remaining Palestinian-populated territories are neither allowed full self-governance (two-state) nor incorporated into Israel with the people becoming citizens (one-state).

"This land now pays taxes to Tsar Putin" vs ethnic cleansing.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ornedan posted:

When Russia conquered Crimea, the white, ethnicity Russian people were permitted to stay
Fixed that for you.

Try not to let your zeal for making GBS threads on one set of war crimes lead you to excusing another.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Ornedan posted:

There's a massive difference between those two, and it's what makes Israel so much worse.

When Russia conquered Crimea, the people were permitted to stay and made into citizens with voting rights. Of course this being Russia the elections are not exactly free and fair, but the Crimeans are in the same boat with the rest of Russian citizenry there.

The difference with Israel is, Israel takes land from Palestinians, but drives the the Palestinian people away. The remaining Palestinian-populated territories are neither allowed full self-governance (two-state) nor incorporated into Israel with the people becoming citizens (one-state).

Got it. There's still a war going on in Ukraine with separatists propped up by Putin though.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Avirosb posted:

Agreed. I'm as green as they come when it comes to politics and I don't know the whole history but what goes on in Ukraine and Israel doesn't seem all that different to me.

Israel is more akin to South Africa. It's an openly white supremacist theocracy: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/israel-enacts-law-allowing-authorities-to-detain-illegal-migrants-for-up-to-3-years-1.434127

This used to be controversial, but I get the impression the Israeli manifest destiny has been successful enough that its so inevitable the PR machine for it has largely given up since opinion doesn't matter and its been relegated to something that will be on a plaque or a museum a couple decades later rather than something that is going to be changed.

E: also a lot of the Israel/Palestine support was born out of the US backing Israel during the cold war.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Falstaff posted:

You don't understand what "metaphor" means, do you?

I'm making a dumb joke about this thread never shutting up about Clinton, it's better when people talk about Dems that actually matter in 2017.

Ornedan posted:

While I'm sure there are many arguments for why the illegal Israeli occupation of Palestinian land is 'worse' than Russian's annexation of Crimea, Putin's Russia has almost certainly supported or engaged in ethnic cleansing in its other illegal occupations, and may yet do so during the occupation of Ukrainian land.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I'm making a dumb joke about this thread never shutting up about Clinton, it's better when people talk about Dems that actually matter in 2017.

While I'm sure there are many arguments for why the illegal Israeli occupation of Palestinian land is 'worse' than Russian's annexation of Crimea, Putin's Russia has almost certainly supported or engaged in ethnic cleansing in its other illegal occupations, and may yet do so during the occupation of Ukrainian land.

Well, the Dems will run Clinton again in 2020, so her fanbase is probably worth deriding now.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

No loving way she runs again. Maybe her surrogate but... Just no way.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I'm thinking this new messaging is finally going to be the push she needs. It's literally perfect. So well crafted and I think it speaks to the heart of what's really happening.

Looking forward to it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I think if Hillary runs again I'll end up in an asylum.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I think if Hillary runs again I'll end up in an asylum.

What would her slogan even be?

"I told you so."?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It just seems to me her supporters have already been laying the groundwork for her to run again. There hasn't been a real rotation of DNC leadership. All the same people are still around. She still has fans. Makes sense for her to run again, in her and the DNC's minds anyway.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

No loving way she runs again. Maybe her surrogate but... Just no way.
He said with a growing sense of dread.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rent-A-Cop posted:

He said with a growing sense of dread.

The libs being stuck on this Russia stuff, The DNC not wanting to change much, HRC peaking her head out not and again, etc. I don't think they'll let go of her losing.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The DNC sniped Republican voters by going right, and now the GOP has one upped them by going so far right literally any distinguishing policy difference from the GOP, up to and including not actively supporting mass culling means going left, but the DNC donors don't want that, so all the DNC can do is "Not Trump".

Mister Facetious posted:

What would her slogan even be?

"I told you so."?

"Third Way's the charm"

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

"This turn is the turn" or "Heading back to where we started."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Huzanko posted:

It just seems to me her supporters have already been laying the groundwork for her to run again. There hasn't been a real rotation of DNC leadership. All the same people are still around. She still has fans. Makes sense for her to run again, in her and the DNC's minds anyway.

Nah, they won't run her again, they'll run one of her disciples. There's an entire generation of Clinton-style Dems in the Democratic Party now, they'll almost certainly run one of them while Hillary advises as a respected party elder.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh my god, you guys were right about Hillary - look at this nefarious stuff she's up to!

https://twitter.com/NatEnquirer/status/887731212349059075

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Hillary 2020:

I'm not with Him

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Nah, they won't run her again, they'll run one of her disciples. There's an entire generation of Clinton-style Dems in the Democratic Party now, they'll almost certainly run one of them while Hillary advises as a respected party elder.

Any the fun part about this is, anyone can be one of her disciples if she ever says anything positive about them as a candidate or nominee.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Any the fun part about this is, anyone can be one of her disciples if she ever says anything positive about them as a candidate or nominee.

Man, you really owned those leftists with this speculation about what a non-zero number of them might say in the unlikely hypothetical circumstance that Hillary ends up lending her support to a left-leaning nominee (prior to them winning the primary, at least).

The core point that more mainstream/centrist Democrats are likely to throw their support behind somehow coming from the same general ideological background as Clinton is completely valid, so I'm not sure how saying "hey, but what if some leftists said some dumb stuff?? that'd sure be dumb, huh!?" is supposed to prove any point. Leftists who irrationally believe anything negative they hear about Hillary certainly exist, but so do liberals who believe Sanders and leftists are all bigoted, so it comes off as more than a little disingenuous to just focus on the absolute worst representatives of a particular ideology.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

jfood posted:

I'm thinking this new messaging is finally going to be the push she needs. It's literally perfect. So well crafted and I think it speaks to the heart of what's really happening.

Looking forward to it.

I assume you were drinking from an enormous bucket of paint before and after this post.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This thread is still a shithole and all it's participants should be banned.

gently caress off you whiny crybabies

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

JailTrump posted:

gently caress off you whiny crybabies

:ironicat:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

JailTrump posted:

True. But I enjoy it anyways. :cheers:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

I assume you were drinking from an enormous bucket of paint before and after this post.

I don't think he was serious.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
https://mobile.twitter.com/TPM/status/888812897161314305

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WampaLord posted:

Someone here did an edit of that with pictures Hillary and Trump and it's loving perfect, anyone have it?

from pages ago but no one ever followed up:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
a good article https://www.dissentmagazine.org/online_articles/new-working-class-precarity-race-gender-democrats

quote:

Note the slippage: whatever program will appeal to the entity known as the “white working class” will not appeal to “minority groups,” who are joined together in this analysis with “moderate voters in the suburbs.” Has Mounk ever spoken to a working-class American outside of a customer transaction? It is difficult to imagine how the categories with which he operates could possibly have survived such an encounter. The American working class is, after all, less white than the rest of American society, and, by all survey evidence, has more left-wing political views—by dint of its composition by race and gender, as well as its class experiences.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

from pages ago but no one ever followed up:

Thank you!

:discourse:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I don't think he was serious.

all posts in this thread are serious and should be taken at face value only no reading between the lines

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Also Iran and North Korea.

I especially love the Iran part, at this point it just makes it feel like Russia is a way to detract from the terrible poo poo that the dems are bipartisan about.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

I don't have much to add aside from saying that this is a good article and people should read it (including the Democrats but, well, whatcha gonna do?).

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

heh.
https://twitter.com/PoliticoScott/status/888386412575420416
http://i.imgur.com/MAyqdjO.png

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/s...agenumber%3D347

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hahahahahaha the dems are hosed.

:suicide:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

i'm glad democrats are getting big money out of politics

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
RuPaul might make a good opponent for Trump.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Scaramucci told the Democratic Party leadership that the GOP is gonna take their raison d'etre:

https://twitter.com/Scaramucci/status/211196060931072000?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

May as well have been Hillary that said it.

I am a retard and never look at post dates in Twitter.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Here's my feelings on the last three years of Sam Bee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdEQmpVIE4A

• Locked thread