Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Marvel panel is live

Captain Marvel takes place in the 90s, she fights the skrulls and super skrull, she fights the kree too. nick fury has TWO eyes
Ant man: Laurence Fishbourne is Goliath and Michelle Phiffer is playing the wasp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mr President posted:

Marvel panel is live

Captain Marvel takes place in the 90s, she fights the skrulls and super skrull, she fights the kree too. nick fury has TWO eyes
Ant man: Laurence Fishbourne is Goliath and Michelle Phiffer is playing the wasp!
Also Michael Pena is there recapping the entire MCU at this point

Also have a Russian version of the new Thor trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C47zRs6SPZM

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr President posted:

nick fury has TWO eyes

that's the lamest loving superpower

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ok, i know what happens, we get Captain Marvel in the 90s starring Brie Larson and then when she reappears in Infinity War she's 20 years older and played by Charlize Theron just like god intended.

very smart, marvel.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mr President posted:

Marvel panel is live

That Fury thing is kind of fun because it's such a nice "ooooh" moment, due exclusively to how long we've spent with the character over the past decade-or-so. Like, I don't always feel like the MCU movies pay off the investment aspect (though I'm optimistic that Infinity War will make up for that), but every now and then you get a cool moment of the real history that's been developed during the great big experiment. I mean, I kind of think the whole "Peter Park was in Iron Man 2" is nothing more than bullshit fan service, but it's kind of cool to think that if you map out the age difference between that movie and Civil War, he really would be the right age. That's pretty neat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

achillesforever6 posted:

Also Michael Pena is there recapping the entire MCU at this point

Also have a Russian version of the new Thor trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C47zRs6SPZM

How about English?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Fart City posted:

That Fury thing is kind of fun because it's such a nice "ooooh" moment, due exclusively to how long we've spent with the character over the past decade-or-so. Like, I don't always feel like the MCU movies pay off the investment aspect (though I'm optimistic that Infinity War will make up for that), but every now and then you get a cool moment of the real history that's been developed during the great big experiment. I mean, I kind of think the whole "Peter Park was in Iron Man 2" is nothing more than bullshit fan service, but it's kind of cool to think that if you map out the age difference between that movie and Civil War, he really would be the right age. That's pretty neat.

of course if you attempt to make a timeline based on Spider-Man Homecoming you will break your brain because it makes no sense

but other than that, yeah

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

this movie is going to be as awesome as the first two Thor movies were lame

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I can't tell if I'm just drunk or that Thor: Ragnarok trailer actually looks pretty good with solid composition and good use of contrast.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

K. Waste posted:

I can't tell if I'm just drunk or that Thor: Ragnarok trailer actually looks pretty good with solid composition and good use of contrast.

Hey man, I'm in it exclusively for Taika Waititi. What We Do In The Shadows and Hunt For The Wilderpeople are legit.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

K. Waste posted:

That shot of Hela facing down a sky full of Valkyries is straight out of some portraits of norse gods

it made me say "holy gently caress" out loud

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I appreciate this poster's message, that deep down we all have a little Jeff Goldblum within us

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

This poster is rad as all raddin' radical.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Like, who would have thought that Taika Waititi would make a movie that looks more visually interesting movie than loving Ryan Coogler?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

WB/DC drawing inspiration from Alex Ross for JL marketing was a good move:

Beautiful.

This is loving tubular, man. Beautiful.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

K. Waste posted:

Like, who would have thought that Taika Waititi would make a movie that looks more visually interesting movie than loving Ryan Coogler?

I adore that Marvel's apparently decided they have the freedom to go completely loving batshit. Looks so much more interesting than the Justice League trailer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cythereal posted:

I adore that Marvel's apparently decided they have the freedom to go completely loving batshit. Looks so much more interesting than the Justice League trailer.

Justice League and Ragnarok both look really good, hater :colbert:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

K. Waste posted:

Kind of reminds me of James Gunn and GOTG. Neither Super nor Slither were particularly visually rich (though the latter was certainly an effects movie through-and-through), but he basically blew the doors off of the Marvel House Style with that first Guardians entry. There seems to be something about the indie, fringe guys getting a chance at bat that makes them bring their Triple-A game.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

DC Murderverse posted:

That shot of Hela facing down a sky full of Valkyries is straight out of some portraits of norse gods

Screenshotted for Pleasure.

Cate Blanchett looking beautiful.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 23, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Fart City posted:

Kind of reminds me of James Gunn and GOTG. Neither Super nor Slither were particularly visually rich (though the latter was certainly an effects movie through-and-through), but he basically blew the doors off of the Marvel House Style with that first Guardians entry. There seems to be something about the indie, fringe guys getting a chance at bat that makes them bring their Triple-A game.

of course, sometimes you get Jurassic World but that's the nature of risk-taking.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

of course, sometimes you get Jurassic World but that's the nature of risk-taking.

Yeah, but Jurassic World is basically Studio Notes: The Ride Based On The Movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

teagone posted:

Justice League and Ragnarok both look really good, hater :colbert:

Justice League feels like a step in the right direction, sure, but to be honest I'm getting fatigued by traditional superhero movies and how they look, and along comes Thor "Hold My Beer" Ragnarok.

I'm sure it won't be a perfect movie, but it's so drat colorful and bright and weird.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Cythereal posted:

Here's the thing, though...

It looks just as good as Justice League, which isn't high praise for a Snyder film, but is really loving high praise for an MCU movie.

Fart City posted:

Hey man, I'm in it exclusively for Taika Waititi. What We Do In The Shadows and Hunt For The Wilderpeople are legit.

Those are both excellent movies - the problem is that Ryan Coogler has made two superior films to those, and somehow his trailer ends up looking like Captain America 2. Waititi on the other hand seems to have made a better than/actually good version of Guardians.

DC Murderverse posted:

Dog, that's what I'm sayin.

gently caress it, screencap time:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

For as Photoshopped as that is, that's...really loving good.

I had low expectations for JL overall but not gonna lie, that looked rather impressive too. I love the idea of Aquaman as a total badass and really can't get enough of Batfleck. Cyborg looked fine to me for whoever the dude was that was making GBS threads on it. Whatever they're doing with Flash managed to make me interested in a character I know little about.

Looks like we've got some good poo poo to look forward to overall. Hard to complain about anything I saw today.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 23, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I love Thor and Ragnarok looks like it's going to completely blow it, and every other comic book movie, out of the water.

Also loving how much of a presence Banner apparently is, I was afraid it would basically be All Hulk, All The Time.

And Hulk talking: :dance:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

this. this right here is my poo poo.

i am super pumped to see if Cate Blanchett can break through the "lame villain" curse that has plagued Marvel movies. Really the only ones to break through it have been Kurt Russell and James Spader (I'm not counting Tom Hiddleston because he has had multiple movies to establish character), and I don't think it's entirely a measure of actor quality because Mads Mikkelson and David Tennant are both awesome actors and kinda got lost in their roles.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I like to believe that the storyboards for Ragnarok were only accessible in their native media: airbrushed on the side of a fleet of vans.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

THOR 3 IS GONNA BE THE BEST MARVEL MOVIE

HANDS

loving

DOWN

Holy poo poo that trailer owned and comedy is on point. Goddamn, so impressed!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DC Murderverse posted:

i am super pumped to see if Cate Blanchett can break through the "lame villain" curse that has plagued Marvel movies. Really the only ones to break through it have been Kurt Russell and James Spader (I'm not counting Tom Hiddleston because he has had multiple movies to establish character), and I don't think it's entirely a measure of actor quality because Mads Mikkelson and David Tennant are both awesome actors and kinda got lost in their roles.

If you're counting David Tennant, then he was not a lame villain. He was a supremely creepy gently caress who played "childish sociopath rapist" to the loving hilt. Mahershala Ali was also wonderful for all that his character got killed off much earlier than he should have, and Vincent D'Orofrio was solid.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
TV shows don't count.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm not counting Tom Hiddleston because he has had multiple movies to establish character

Hiddleston was fuckin' aces right out of the gate, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: vvvv

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Cythereal posted:

If you're counting David Tennant, then he was not a lame villain. He was a supremely creepy gently caress who played "childish sociopath rapist" to the loving hilt. Mahershala Ali was also wonderful for all that his character got killed off much earlier than he should have, and Vincent D'Orofrio was solid.

poo poo, wrong former Dr Who, I meant Eccleston. Tennant was good but I wasn't meaning to talk about the TV shows.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That's a loving amazing poster

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cythereal posted:

Justice League feels like a step in the right direction, sure, but to be honest I'm getting fatigued by traditional superhero movies and how they look, and along comes Thor "Hold My Beer" Ragnarok.

I'm sure it won't be a perfect movie, but it's so drat colorful and bright and weird.

DCEU films have had the one up visually on every MCU film. Ragnarok looks like the first one to finally match the DCEU visual standard, but while colorful, it still looks like some shots suffer that flat lighting with little contrast the MCU movies are known for. It's Marvel's thing I guess, but the crazy colors and all the wacky poo poo make Thor 3 look so much fun. Hulk is awesome lmao.

K. Waste posted:

Here's the thing, though...

[Ragnarok] looks just as good as Justice League, which isn't high praise for a Snyder film, but is really loving high praise for an MCU movie.

This.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Thor 3 looks awesome. Do I finally have to get around to watching the first two? It's so weird how aggressively uninterested I am in those two movies while being super excited for the third one.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Guy A. Person posted:

Thor 3 looks awesome. Do I finally have to get around to watching the first two? It's so weird how aggressively uninterested I am in those two movies while being super excited for the third one.

nope don't do it you don't need to please save yourself the boredom

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Mr President posted:

Marvel panel is live

Uhh, alright then. So she's battle-ready for Infinity War unless she's a retired hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
tbh I find the Thor movies to be the least boring Marvel movies but that's mostly due to Hemsworth and Hiddleston.

It's also hard to get bored when you're getting slapped in the face with dutch angles constantly.

• Locked thread