Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Oysters Autobio posted:

Nice humble brag dude. I'm sure you're a world star athlete now that you've quit flying.

What he didn't mention is that they're Olympic level curling and equestrian coaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Excelsiortothemax posted:

More like a functional alcoholic and fine weed connoisseur like the rest of us. Dude just doesn't have him some goony titties any more.

Too real man, too real.

:staredog:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

T.C. posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewScheer/status/888138685031489536

A strong, diverse team of white people! It's 1/3 women!

edit: One guy's from Quebec!

Andrew Scheer will unite the white

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
http://globalnews.ca/news/3614255/teens-film-laugh-man-drowns-florida-retention-pond/

Between the cyclist beatdown and the above it's hard to hope for a better future :(

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

More like a functional alcoholic and fine weed connoisseur like the rest of us.

I wouldn't call myself a connoisseur.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3614255/teens-film-laugh-man-drowns-florida-retention-pond/

Between the cyclist beatdown and the above it's hard to hope for a better future :(
Why? Florida will be underwater in the future

quote:

Cocoa Police Chief Mike Cataloupe calls their actions “utterly inhumane and cruel,” but says criminal charges won’t be filed because state law doesn’t require people to give or call for help when someone’s in distress.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Was there really a PEGIDA march in London today? Are a lot of people getting intensely mad over the Omar Khadr settlement or is it just the same number of assholes being particularly loud?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Hand Knit posted:

Was there really a PEGIDA march in London today? Are a lot of people getting intensely mad over the Omar Khadr settlement or is it just the same number of assholes being particularly loud?

Yes on the PEGIDA march, and kinda on the other two.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Which race(s), in your opinion, make the best politicians?

Lizards, obviously.

the trump tutelage posted:

If Hadrian had done a better job keeping the Scots out then we wouldn't have Gavin McInnes, so that one.

If Hadrian did his job better we wouldn't have had the tv show Hamish Macbeth.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/ajwvictoriabc/status/888869753862864896

He's good

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wild rose and PCs unite in AB lol

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 9, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's the story between the WR and the Alberta Cons anyways? I don't actively seek out info from that province.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
who cares

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's the story between the WR and the Alberta Cons anyways? I don't actively seek out info from that province.

The Tories weren't conservative enough / they were in power for 40 years straight and the stench of corruption had become intolerable

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

THC posted:

The Tories weren't conservative enough / they were in power for 40 years straight and the stench of corruption had become intolerable

Yup, their last premier Redford was basically the final frontier in political entitlement, trying to build her own personal house on top of parliament (???) with government money

Kathleen Wynne here in Ont. isn't as personally corrupt but they're in that same zone (and it only took about 17 years) where people are ready to just vote for the first Not the Government option they get

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Isentropy posted:

Yup, their last premier Redford was basically the final frontier in political entitlement, trying to build her own personal house on top of parliament (???) with government money

Kathleen Wynne here in Ont. isn't as personally corrupt but they're in that same zone (and it only took about 17 years) where people are ready to just vote for the first Not the Government option they get

The Ontario PCs are probably the party best at finding dumb ways to throw away an easy election win and the Ontario NDP still cant figure out what they wanted from last election let alone the next one so Im not counting the Liberals out until the last vote is counted.

Also apparently there is a rift already forming in the PC party because Patrick Brown isnt racist/conservative enough? And theyre splintering to form their own party or something?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They got pissed off at him for marching in a pride parade (or not condemning it or something)

The PCs lost the last provincial election because they ran a lunatic against Wynne, not because Wynne was an ideal alternative.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
~*Gleefully hands out pink slips to government workers as campaign stunt*~

Actually we were going to reduce headcount through attrition, I don't know where you got the idea we were going to fire 1000 people.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

~*Gleefully hands out pink slips to government workers as campaign stunt*~

Actually we were going to reduce headcount through attrition, I don't know where you got the idea we were going to fire 1000 people.

I liked TIm Hudak's math error where he said he was going to create 1,000,000 jobs and it turned out he actually meant he was going to create 125,000 jobs over eight years, and he was going to start by firing 100,000 people. That's the kind of sound math that underlies strong stable conservative economic policies!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/nikiashton/status/888845707284811776

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I hope Jason Kenney is found smoking meth with a gay prostitute like people of his ideological bent so often are. Then I hope he loving kills himself because he's human garbage. May he die soon, but not quickly, and in utter disgrace...

Niki Ashton on the other hand is someone I just disagree with but isn't a terrible person, so I'll be content if she loses the leadership race and goes on to live a happy life in whichever way seems best to her.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 23, 2017

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 26, 2018

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

PT6A posted:

I hope Jason Kenney is found smoking meth with a gay prostitute like people of his ideological bent so often are. Then I hope he loving kills himself because he's human garbage. May he die soon, but not quickly, and in utter disgrace...

Niki Ashton on the other hand is someone I just disagree with but isn't a terrible person, so I'll be content if she loses the leadership race and goes on to live a happy life in whichever way seems best to her.

Great, our weekly 'PT6A fantasizes out loud about bad things happening to people he dislikes' post

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

I take umbrage to the idea that neoliberalism has an agenda.

It's just FYGM on a society and economy defining scale.

There's no overarching plan to kill the world driven by a handful of mysterious powerful men in a shadowy boardroom.

It's just thousands and thousands of boring men in well light boardrooms doing whatever makes the most sense to make the next quarter shine, and you just keep repeating that until the world is dead.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
FUUUUUUUUUCK.

"CBC posted:

Wildrose and PC members approve unite-the-right deal with 95% voting Yes
Wildrose Leader Brian Jean to resign post, run for leadership of new conservative party

Alberta Wildrose and Progressive Conservative Party members have voted 95 per cent in favour of ratifying the agreement to join forces and form the new United Conservative Party.

Of the 24,598 Wildrose members who cast a ballot, 23,466 voted Yes and 1,132 said No. The party said 57.7 per cent of eligible voters weighed in.

On the PC side, 27,060 members voted with 25,692 saying Yes and 1,344 saying No. There were 24 spoiled ballots.

Jason Kenney, who ran on uniting the two parties in his successful bid to lead the PCs, called it a great day for Alberta.

"Tens of thousands of PC and Wildrose members today have decided to put our province ahead of any political party," Kenney said.

Wildrose Leader Brian Jean used his speech after the results were revealed to announce he was resigning as soon as papers were filed for the new party and running for leadership of the new party.

"I will be there running to lead our new movement, with already-great qualified candidates, who will put their names forward and I plan on being Alberta's next premier," Jean told the crowded ballroom at the Radisson Hotel in Red Deer, Alta.

The crowd erupted in cheers and started chanting his first name.

Kenney declined to say when he planned to announce his leadership bid.

"Tonight is a night to celebrate this historic step in democracy," he said. "I hope that we have a number of talented people putting themselves forward for service in the leadership of this new party.

"And if anybody other than myself is elected by the members, they will have my total enthusiastic support, because this unity project will only work if we are prepared to park our egos."

PC and Wildrose MLAs will meet Monday to pick someone to serve as interim leader until a permanent leader is chosen on Oct. 28.

Kenney says the two caucuses are expected to approach the Speaker of the legislative assembly and ask to be recognized as members of the UCP.

Both Jean and Kenney have said a united conservative party is required to defeat Alberta Premier Rachel Notley and the NDP in the 2019 provincial election.

Pros and cons

Earlier in the day, Wildrose party members debated the pros and cons of a proposed unity deal in a lively open mic session that kicked off a special general meeting in Red Deer Saturday.

During the Saturday morning debate, members had 60 seconds to speak for or against the deal.

People on the "no" side said they were against uniting with the PCs who they feel are entitled and arrogant.

Eugene Eklund from the provincial riding of Whitecourt-Ste. Anne said the unity agreement was a PC attempt to take over the Wildrose.

"The PC party does not want us," he told the room. "All they want is our vote so they can win again."

But the majority of speakers urged members to approve the deal.

"If you're not voting in favour of this unity agreement, it's basically a vote for the NDP," said Elton Wood from Stony Plain.

"I don't care if you don't like the PCs or what, but it's simply ludicrous not to vote in favour of this."

The only issue that's been resolved between them is that the PC's aren't corrupt in power (more due to lack of power than corruption), so this was surely a good idea.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

PT6A posted:

I may not agree with all her messaging and her sjw approach but she seems like to genuinely care and believe in her ideals.

Compared to FYGM power at all cost politicians, I can cope with her flaws

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Karatela posted:

FUUUUUUUUUCK.

The only issue that's been resolved between them is that the PC's aren't corrupt in power (more due to lack of power than corruption), so this was surely a good idea.

Hey maybe this will at least force the NDP to implement PR before they lose the next election.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I can't wait for the reactions when it turns out that despite reassurances from party leaders, they really can't bring any party funds with them.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/sears-canada-facebook-restructuring-comments-severance-1.4216351

quote:

Sears Canada is striving to reinvent itself and entice customers. But every time it posts an ad promoting products on its Facebook site, the retailer is bombarded with angry comments.

"No one cares!" wrote one person, commenting on a dishware ad. "As far as I'm concerned the whole company should go belly-up."

"Empty plates are what Sears ex-employees will be staring at after they have been rooked out of their severance and retirement payments," posted another person.

The spiteful comments follow Sears' announcement last month that as part of a court-supervised restructuring process, it's closing 59 of its 255 stores and laying off 2,900 workers — none of whom is getting severance.

Sears has also requested court permission to stop topping up the underfunded retiree pension plan. The retailer recently agreed to postpone that matter until Sept. 30. 

The repercussions of the restructuring — especially the no-severance deal — have infuriated numerous Canadians, many of whom want Sears to know they won't be shopping at its department stores.

"I will not spend one red cent in your store … no severance, no sale," posted one person.

"I will not be checking out anything at Sears. Do your duty to your employees, you jerks," wrote someone else.

There are also calls for a boycott, with some adding to their comments: #BoycottSearsCanada. The hashtag has also shown up on Twitter.

Commenters have also griped about the news Sears will pay up to $7.6 million in court-approved retention bonuses to 43 executives and senior managers during the restructuring process.

"PLEASE SUPPORT THE C.E.O. OF SEARS CANADA HE NEEDS YOUR HELP!" someone posted as a joke on Sears' Facebook site. 

:thunk:

Edit:

But it's okay, see, as my mother-in-law says, we don't need unions because labour laws and courts will protect the working class.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 9, 2022

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Furnaceface posted:

Also apparently there is a rift already forming in the PC party because Patrick Brown isnt racist/conservative enough? And theyre splintering to form their own party or something?

Arcsquad12 posted:

They got pissed off at him for marching in a pride parade (or not condemning it or something)

The PCs lost the last provincial election because they ran a lunatic against Wynne, not because Wynne was an ideal alternative.

Tim Hudak turned double-digit leads over the Liberals into election losses twice. That's how awful he was. The rift against Patrick Brown has forming almost since he was appointed leader and it is partially because he isn't "conservative" enough, which was a complaint Hudak faced as well. In this movie, "conservative" means "angry." The loud, fringe elements of the Ontario PC base, at least in my talk radio-listening experience, want someone who has a lot of "fire in the belly" and someone with "passion." They're angry; why isn't their leader as angry as they are?

Patrick Brown also told PC leadership voters he hated the things they hate and then, when he became the leader, suddenly didn't hate those things anymore. He is no longer against the new sex ed curriculum, he is no longer opposed to francophones being allowed to access services in French and he's not against gay people having basic human rights. There have also been issues surrounding how candidates are vetted and chosen within riding associations and accusations that Brown is being dictatorial or undemocratic in forcing certain candidates out of potential riding races.

The "new party" thing is, at this point, localized entirely around crazy Jack MacLaren in eastern Ontario, who was booted out of the PC caucus a couple of months ago when a video surfaced showing him talking to an anti-French language rights group, telling them he can't say out loud what he wants to do to limit francophone rights because the party might not get elected. He's now joined the Trillium Party and has taken the support of the Ontario Landowners' Association with him. He lost his mind in a radio interview within days of it happening. Whether any other PCs follow MacLaren's jump to the Trillium Party, or whether he even gets re-elected remains to be seen.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 23, 2017

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

PhilippAchtel posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/sears-canada-facebook-restructuring-comments-severance-1.4216351

Edit:

But it's okay, see, as my mother-in-law says, we don't need unions because labour laws and courts will protect the working class.

It is absolute bullshit that existing pension commitments aren't the highest priority obligations in bankruptcy. They are effectively deferred wages and they are owed to the people least able to absorb a loss.

In my mind, you should have to liquidate the loving company and stiff every investor and institutional creditor before you're allowed to touch pension obligations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I was at the local mall at Sears the first day of the liquidation sale and trust me the entirely of Abbotsford's 75+ year old population was there buying away.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

HookShot posted:

I was at the local mall at Sears the first day of the liquidation sale and trust me the entirely of Abbotsford's 75+ year old population was there buying away.

What's left that's decent to buy at Sears aside from maybe appliances? I was there over a year ago (my parents got a credit for not needing servicing on new appliances warranty) and we struggled to find $500 worth of poo poo to buy (even including a cheap suit my dad insisted on getting).

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Their furniture is quite nice.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PhilippAchtel posted:

Edit:

Unions wouldn't have protected them given they are 'restructuring'. They really don't care about the brand at this point and are just trying to siphon the cash back to sears holding company in the states, and let the workers rot.

So before anyone goes all workers rights, etc, how many of you a) shopped at sears, or b) don't use amazon for this petty retail garbage. Consumer online shopping, especially through amazon who will sell poo poo at a loss they dgaf, is closing the casket on retail by and large.

I like dumb kenmore appliances because they last forever and can be fixed for dollars instead of being throwaway Lucky Goldstar or Samsung products.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

So before anyone goes all workers rights, etc, how many of you a) shopped at sears, or b) don't use amazon for this petty retail garbage. Consumer online shopping, especially through amazon who will sell poo poo at a loss they dgaf, is closing the casket on retail by and large.

Trump'll bury the casket then.

quote:

The CEO of Harry Rosen Inc. says it would be a catastrophe for Canadian retailers if Ottawa gave in to U.S. demands to raise the value of goods American stores can send to Canada tax and duty free.

The U.S. is calling for the so-called de minimis threshold to be increased from $20 Cdn to a "value comparable" to its $800 US limit. The request is one of the American administration's objectives for the renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Larry Rosen says it would create a huge disadvantage for Canadian retailers, who must charge taxes and whose goods would become comparatively more expensive as a result.

He says it would be a boon for U.S. border towns, like Buffalo, as Canadian retailers including Harry Rosen would move a chunk of their businesses, like warehouses, south of the border.

Canada's de minimis threshold has remained the same since 1985 but is a hotly debated topic with some lobbying government to increase the figure, while others staunchly oppose a change.

The Retail Council of Canada has advocated against raising the amount, saying even a small increase could lead to job losses.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sears had a loving decade to become the Canadian Amazon equivalent while Amazon Canada sucked. They could have been sitting right now a Billion dollars of stock bought with 1.01 dollar.

gently caress em and good riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Amazon is still absolute garbage in Canada though.