Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

A good poster posted:

Is this DOOM update 34 gigs installed? That's just barely more than I have free on my SSD. I don't give a poo poo about the multiplayer portion of the game, and I don't want to have to uninstall or move it.

EDIT: Hang on, does Steam preallocate hard drive space before starting update downloads?

short answer: yes

long answer: depending on the patch type Steam will allocate more than what the download says, this is because those are copies of the files that need patching, which will overwrite the originals when all the downloading is finished

if you want to check if a game has been pre-allocated, check SteamApps/downloading and check for a folder with appid for the game (379270 for DOOM) and see how big it is

This pre-allocating business is why it is best to have twice the size of the game free before you install it for the first time.

Also: I spent an constructive day moving some disused games to external storage and while the in-built "move to different library" is good, you can only do it one game and a time and Steam decides to verify everything and redownload missing things (such as the umpteenth copy of the directX installer)

Moving the files yourself, and then moving the appmanifest_%appid%.acf file (in SteamApps), then restarting Steam, works around both of these: you can move multiple directories at once, and steam just sees the game move from Library Nano to Library Mio.

It's best to take notes of the appid numbers while you work down the list of games. steamdb or just using notepad++ to find the name of the game in the mass of *.acf files works

also put each game to moved into a category called "! Move Me" or similar, so you have easy reference when you search for appids and select the game directories in SteamApps/common. Moving all un-categorized games into a temporary category stops steam from jumping to the new category when you do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

RentACop posted:

DROD is a fantastic game but jesus christ the entirety of level nine can gently caress off straight to hell

is that the maze? i bet that one is the maze

StrixNebulosa posted:

but can you imagine not buying a game purely because it doesn't have characters in it who look like you?

lucky for me everything is a misshapen blob if you squint hard enough i remove my glasses

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 22, 2017

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

ymgve posted:

Is there anything to do in Omegaland after the world is fixed again? Can you do anything except talk to various people and monsters?
You can collect the special objects that you get achievements for if you missed any. I don't think there's more than that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zetsubou-san posted:

is that the maze? i bet that one is the maze

That's the one where it's all roaches in enclosures and you have to herd them into the right positions before you toggle the gates.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Really Pants posted:

That's the one where it's all roaches in enclosures and you have to herd them into the right positions before you toggle the gates.

Is this some kind of Delphine game? Operation Stealth II? :haw:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

I might pick up omegaland later but goddamn if you're an indie Dev please scrape together 2 grand and pay an artist, I'm so tired of seeing programmer pixel art for everything lately.

in this case at least it was a deliberate decision instead of being cheap (not saying you're wrong to be annoyed by it)

The dev wrote an article about it if anyone who cares wants to read some :words:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zetsubou-san posted:

short answer: yes

long answer: depending on the patch type Steam will allocate more than what the download says, this is because those are copies of the files that need patching, which will overwrite the originals when all the downloading is finished

if you want to check if a game has been pre-allocated, check SteamApps/downloading and check for a folder with appid for the game (379270 for DOOM) and see how big it is

This pre-allocating business is why it is best to have twice the size of the game free before you install it for the first time.

From what I've noticed, the size of the update only includes what will be downloaded. Steam copies the file that will be patched to a downloading folder, downloads the update, patches that file and then copies it back to the game folder if it was successful. This is really annoying for games like Hitman where it seems like all the data for a chapter is stored in one file. So if they are patching Paris and Marrakesh with 400 MB of patches, those two files might be 15GB each so you need at least 30GB free before the patch in order to do the 400 MB patch.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Ceyton posted:

Ahhh, the old crowdfunding/EA trick of leaving out the year.

I don't own the game yet but given the guy's track record it seems like he has a pretty good handle on things.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is dream daddies good?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

£20 a year is what I pay, and that's allowed me to play 20 games that I've had a passing interest in but not enough to give money for. That works out at £1 a game. Even if you just want anything in the Bioware back catalog, it's still a good deal for say the Mass Effect or Dragon Age trilogies plus access to great short single player campaigns like Titanfall 2 soon. Grab the $5 if you just want to play one game that's already there, grab the (I'm guessing it's $30 for a year) if you want to play many games on that list.

This is cool and good, but it does remind me that one of the stated (and lying) purposes for moving away from Steam to Origin by EA was "Steam devalues properties with their constant discounts" and now they basically give games away for free or essentially charge $1 a game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
For them, anything is better than letting Steam take a cut of your profits. If you're large and prolific like EA, you can afford it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I would buy some EA games if they were on Steam but I'll be damned if I'm going to launch up the Origin account that has Sim City on it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Origin Access is the only way they will get non Bioware/Dice fans to play on Origin. Entire platform is poo poo and customer service is worse than Indian telemarketers.

Too bad EA has had some underrated gyms like Syndicate.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Origin hasn't really ever given me any problems for the couple games I've played on it in the past couple years. At this point with a few exceptions launcher wars seem like they're getting as silly as console wars.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Ulio posted:

underrated gyms like Syndicate.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that. It owns bones. :allears:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

deep dish peat moss posted:

I would buy some EA games if they were on Steam but I'll be damned if I'm going to launch up the Origin account that has Sim City on it.

My origin account has sim city and the free Battlefield 2 or whatever that wasn't even free because I would have to pay another 30 dollars in DLC just to find someone to play with online.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Maybe someone in here knows, is Planetoid Pioneers Cortex Command but not garbage?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Morter posted:

The single player is merely okay but the coop mode was some of the best stuff in the genre. The research trees really takes a lot of the repetitive bite out of the "Now do the same level on a harder difficulty" that a lot of those coop FPS games have. I just wish it was possible to reset your progress so I could convince more people to get it on the cheap and play with them from the start rather than with my maxed out gear.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ulio posted:

Origin Access is the only way they will get non Bioware/Dice fans to play on Origin. Entire platform is poo poo and customer service is worse than Indian telemarketers.

Origin customer service has always been great to me. Fixes up any issue in minutes and throws huge vouchers at me for like 25% off consistently.

Compare this to Steam customer service who

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ulio posted:

I've always had good customer service on Origin, and while it's had a few hiccups every now and again I can easily say the same about Steam.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I've never had to use Customer Support with either, but Origin does it's job well enough. It's more stable than Steam, but it's library is nowhere as large and probably has nowhere as many concurrent users so that's expected.

They also give free games once in a while which is kinda nice.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Just in case I'm not literally the only person who waited this long, DOOM is really good. Like, I'll play a level, have fun, then Save & Quit to go do something else. But I don't want to do anything else. I just want to play DOOM. So I load back in and either replay the same map to find all the secrets or run through the next map. I've done this like 3 separate times today.

It takes a couple of maps to get used to how you move, but once you do you'll be mantling up a ledge, diving off, shotgunning an imp in midair then landing on him and squashing his skull with your boot.

In tech-chat, I've got a GTX 770 which I thought was good enough for Vulkan, but apparently it's right on the lower edge of compatibility. I can run the game with Vulkan, but every once in a while the text comes up all garbled, and my performance is actually slightly worse than with OpenGL. With Vulkan I had to drop down to 1280x800 to keep steady 60fps, with OpenGL I was able to bump it up to 1680x1050.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is dream daddies good?

it's cute and fun

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

mutata posted:

Origin hasn't really ever given me any problems for the couple games I've played on it in the past couple years. At this point with a few exceptions launcher wars seem like they're getting as silly as console wars.

Just to name one example, Origin cash cards are a scam. You can't combine them with cash (like you can with Steam, natch), and unlike Steam Origin charges sales tax (on some games, at least) so if you don't have access to a credit card and want to buy something for $60, you have to spend an additional $20 for the privilege and be stuck with ~15 EA funbux that you'll never use.

VVV: Bioware points aren't SPECIFICALLY Origin's fault but I'm still amazed that EA made such a terrible deal. "So basically we can't release GotY editions of your games, ever? Awesome, where do we sign?"

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 23, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

i believe i still have bioware points

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Just in case I'm not literally the only person who waited this long, DOOM is really good. Like, I'll play a level, have fun, then Save & Quit to go do something else. But I don't want to do anything else. I just want to play DOOM. So I load back in and either replay the same map to find all the secrets or run through the next map. I've done this like 3 separate times today.

It takes a couple of maps to get used to how you move, but once you do you'll be mantling up a ledge, diving off, shotgunning an imp in midair then landing on him and squashing his skull with your boot.
The perfect review:

In Dark Souls, you're trapped in a room with Demons.

In Doom, Demons are trapped in a room with you.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I picked up Crypt of the Necrodancer in the Steam sale, and i had a lot of fun playing it so far. Well, kinda. I cleared the first two zones after 2 hours, and clearing the next two zones took me a frustrating 15 hours. All zones have roughly the same gameplay length, which is about 6-9 minutes per zone if you don't die.

This is not a game for people who don't like to die repeatedly.

The game has quite some questionable decisions, though. To be honest, my first clear with the first character (there's like 10) was mostly up to good loot luck and being basically impervious to damage in the winning run, so i was not in the least confident that i'd ever be able to repeat the feat without sinking another 15 hours into it. But it turns out, the "second" character you get (for story purposes) is almost easy mode compared to the standard one, since you hurt every enemy around you on every move you do. Took only like half an hour to acclimatize and then i was basically blazing through these devilishly hellish zones in what felt like ez-mode. Why do you unlock easy mode 15 hours into the game?

Speaking of boneheaded decisions: The music in this game is real good. Different characters even get different remixes of the entire soundtrack to play along to. The original level soundtracks are real good (the remixes range from so-so to Almost As Good), while the boss music is mostly Okay. Now why would you give Melody, the character who has the easiest time with that particular boss, the most kickass remix of a boss theme in the game, so you never get to hear it for more than like 10 seconds?
Really, this is the hypest poo poo i've ever wanted to fight a boss to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msAwRFSGtrI

Actually probably the only remix track that surpasses the original soundtrack.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Tangledeep is solid for EA, but I got to floor 5 on a pretty solid tear as a Paladin when my game crashed. I thought about saving on the floor prior but could see no way to do so. No auto saves/suspends either, so I lost my progress. Though I suppose that fits right in with the genre.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ragequit posted:

Tangledeep is solid for EA, but I got to floor 5 on a pretty solid tear as a Paladin when my game crashed. I thought about saving on the floor prior but could see no way to do so. No auto saves/suspends either, so I lost my progress. Though I suppose that fits right in with the genre.

Please, please report this to the dev. He's been working super hard on bugfixes - and has noted that he'll add an autosave at some point.

As for saving midgame you can save/quit to title, then load back up, I think.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Speaking of boneheaded decisions: The music in this game is real good. Different characters even get different remixes of the entire soundtrack to play along to. The original level soundtracks are real good (the remixes range from so-so to Almost As Good), while the boss music is mostly Okay. Now why would you give Melody, the character who has the easiest time with that particular boss, the most kickass remix of a boss theme in the game, so you never get to hear it for more than like 10 seconds?
Really, this is the hypest poo poo i've ever wanted to fight a boss to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msAwRFSGtrI

Actually probably the only remix track that surpasses the original soundtrack.

you can switch the soundtracks at will to play any theme on any character, somewhere in the options menu

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I mean, I guess Steam Customer Support can't be bad if it doesn't exist in the first place :shrug:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Croccers posted:

I mean, I guess Steam Customer Support can't be bad if it doesn't exist in the first place :shrug:

It's probably more like Steam support is like 50 people trying to answer thousands of requests and Origin support is 50 people answering 5 requests.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

It's probably more like Steam support is like 50 people trying to answer thousands of requests and Origin support is 50 people answering 5 requests.
If only Steam had more money to hire some people.
:sigh: We can only dream.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Croccers posted:

I was going to make a joke about how Valve should monetize the Steam itself interface with loot crates but then I realized that's what they've been doing for the last decade with cards + gems.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Croccers posted:

exquisite tea posted:

I was going to make a joke about how Valve should monetize the Steam itself interface with loot crates but then I realized that's what they've been doing for the last decade with cards + gems.

Clearly the answer is the gamify and crowdsource support. Solve someone's issue? You got a hat crate!

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I would do it for the badges.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jamfrost posted:

I would do it for the badges.

same, I'd do it for cards.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Light Gun Man posted:

Clearly the answer is the gamify and crowdsource support. Solve someone's issue? You got a hat crate!

A week later at Valve: "Wow, these chinese people sure are good at solving problems for each other!"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

Last I heard, Steam support is 50 people at Valve, and something like 400 people split between two external firms.

If you're curious, there are public support stats detailing submitted support requests, backlog and estimated response times split up by common issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Morter posted:

Yeah, agreed. Syndicate is one of the best and most plausibly chilling renditions of cyberpunk in videogame form imo, largely by retaining the icy lack of empathy from the original Bullfrog game.

• Locked thread