Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait...what?

It was a Flashpoint comic thing. In the Flashpoint universe Thomas Wayne was Batman and Martha was the Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Who's the blonde woman on the right? Looks like Black Widow, but she's a redhead, and Agent 13 and the concept art of Captain Marvel haven't been showing off their boobs.

Black Widow has blonde hair for the movie, so that's her. Captain Marvel is all the way on the right.

I mean, how can you not recognize Scarlett Johansson?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait...what?

In the Flashpoint timeline where Flash fucks up the world, instead of Bruce Wayne's parents being shot, Bruce himself dies. Leading Martha Wayne to have a psychotic break and become the timeline's Joker and Thomas Wayne to have a different kind of psychotic break and become the timeline's Batman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this! posted:

It was a Flashpoint comic thing. In the Flashpoint universe Thomas Wayne was Batman and Martha was the Joker.

I mean I guess it wouldn't be the stupidest Martha moment in a DC movie, but it'd be a close second.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My only thoughts on Infinity War so far is if that it doesn't have a scene with Cap as the last man standing, standing up to Thanos then it will be a failure.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

X-O posted:

So I'm guessing Captain Marvel is probably going to be a lose adaptation of the Kree-Skrull war.

This is kind of smart because when Marvel inevitably has to replace their actors they can just go "that guy? He was a Skrull. Him? Skrull? That chick? um....yeah...skrull."

Eric Bana? Total skrull.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Roth posted:

My only thoughts on Infinity War so far is if that it doesn't have a scene with Cap as the last man standing, standing up to Thanos then it will be a failure.

I've always thought the money shot of the whole franchise is gonna be Cap lifting Mjolnir and facing Thanos.

Dunno if that'll happen with Mjolnir possibly being destroyed in Ragnarok, but we'll see!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

Someone on another board asked me why they couldn't go full Kirby with the first Thor and I think you have a good example of just why in theaters right now. Valerian also looks visually stunning and like something completely of another world, but does that visual style connect with a general audience at all? If the first Thor movie, right back at the beginning of the MCU did all this crazy poo poo immediately it could have really turned off audiences. But now that the MCU has gradually built up this craziness with stuff like Guardians, Ant-Man, and Dr. Strange the audience will go with you into an amazing full Kirby world and won't be thinking "Man what's all this weird poo poo?"

They went about as Kirby as they could given that the first Thor was mostly about some backwater little town in America. Asgard was Asgard, Thor's costume was on point, Destroyer was ripped right from the pages.

As for why they did that story, even the actual comics themselves started with (and go back and forth to) Thor as a superhero on Earth before doing the Tales of Asgard stuff and his cosmic stories, and because the plan was to bring Thor in as an Avenger soon after.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Codependent Poster posted:

Black Widow has blonde hair for the movie, so that's her. Captain Marvel is all the way on the right.

I mean, how can you not recognize Scarlett Johansson?

Because I didn't know Black Widow would have blonde hair for Infinity War and that's kind of been her distinguishing visual trait in the movies to date beyond "The only woman in this sausage fest"? Well. Except when Witch is around, I suppose.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

If you guys know anything about me at all you know that when it comes to Jim Starlin I think the man can nearly do no wrong. And this is one of my favorite scenes in any comic book ever. But I'm not going to cry if they don't do it. I thin they should but I also think they're really basing a lot of this on Hickman's stuff rather than Starlin's so I'm not looking for scenes right out of Infinity Gauntlet in this film and that's OK.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

X-O posted:

If you guys know anything about me at all you know that when it comes to Jim Starlin I think the man can nearly do no wrong. And this is one of my favorite scenes in any comic book ever. But I'm not going to cry if they don't do it. I thin they should but I also think they're really basing a lot of this on Hickman's stuff rather than Starlin's so I'm not looking for scenes right out of Infinity Gauntlet in this film and that's OK.

They've consulted Starlin on it and he seemed to like the direction they were taking.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Codependent Poster posted:

I've always thought the money shot of the whole franchise is gonna be Cap lifting Mjolnir and facing Thanos.

Dunno if that'll happen with Mjolnir possibly being destroyed in Ragnarok, but we'll see!

Oh you just know that Mjolnir is gonna get reforged in Ragnarok.

I can imagine Cap being the last Avenger up against Thanos and getting his shield shattered a la Infinity Gauntlet. Then, right as he's about to get obliterated, he picks up the fallen Mjolnir and uses it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Thor trailer has that neat bit at the end where Thor goes super saiyan so maybe he absorbs the power of the hammer or something metal as hell.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

I..um...I see. OK. Yeah. That's probably not a good thing to base the first Flash movie around.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm still laying odds Tony is gonna die in either part 1 or 2. They keep talking about passing the torch to Peter as the face of the MCU, and that strikes me as the most effective way to bring that full circle.

Unrelated to the previous statement because I don't want it to be Tony either, but I kinda hope it's not Cap who lays the final blow against Thanos. The fandom has really worn me off the idea of "Captain America, hero of everything", but more importantly than that, I want it to be Nebula who gets the final blow. She deserves it more than anyone.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The 'God of Lightning' shot :boyardee:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Apparently Evangeline Lilly cast her mom in Ant-Man and the Wasp two years ago!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Original-Wasp-Still-Alive-Here-What-Evangeline-Lilly-Says-72702.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Apparently Evangeline Lilly cast her mom in Ant-Man and the Wasp two years ago!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Original-Wasp-Still-Alive-Here-What-Evangeline-Lilly-Says-72702.html

I love it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

pubic works project posted:

Oh you just know that Mjolnir is gonna get reforged in Ragnarok.

I can imagine Cap being the last Avenger up against Thanos and getting his shield shattered a la Infinity Gauntlet. Then, right as he's about to get obliterated, he picks up the fallen Mjolnir and uses it.

That'd be bad rear end. DC would have done it the very first movie they made and Cap would have been introduced at the half way mark.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

I'm being mostly hyperbolic. I think it would just be a little disappointing if it doesn't happen, but if the rest of the movie is good anyway, I won't actually be that bothered.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Johansson dyed her hair for Iron Man 2, then has gone through a series of bad wigs since.

I guess this time they just said gently caress it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They need to have the scene of Captain America wielding Thor's hammer because goddamn it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Cythereal posted:

Because I didn't know Black Widow would have blonde hair for Infinity War and that's kind of been her distinguishing visual trait in the movies to date beyond "The only woman in this sausage fest"? Well. Except when Witch is around, I suppose.

There are too many redheads now, she gotta stand out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BiggerBoat posted:

That'd be bad rear end. DC would have done it the very first movie they made and Cap would have been introduced at the half way mark.

Oh, gently caress off with this poo poo. Oh yeah DC is so super loving rushed, lol I bet their first movie if they were Marvel would have world war hulk in it, SO UNEARNED! Hey guys do you know you have to EARN having comic book things in movies?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samuringa posted:

There are too many redheads now, she gotta stand out.

But now there will be three blondes!

Ha ha, like Agent 13 is anything but an attempt at distracting from Steve's love triangle with Bucky and Tony.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Oh, gently caress off with this poo poo. Oh yeah DC is so super loving rushed, lol I bet their first movie if they were Marvel would have world war hulk in it, SO UNEARNED! Hey guys do you know you have to EARN having comic book things in movies?

Unsurprisingly, people think that events that rely on having set up and investment in the universe aren't very good when they're done right off the bat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bat who? Where is the origin story?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Thanos looks like Bruce Willis

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TFRazorsaw posted:

Unsurprisingly, people think that events that rely on having set up and investment in the universe aren't very good when they're done right off the bat.

Don't invest in universes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hollismason posted:

They need to have the scene of Captain America wielding Thor's hammer because goddamn it

You know this has to be the money shot scene of Infinity War.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FlamingLiberal posted:

Thanos looks like Bruce Willis

I have a power gem now. Ho ho ho.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Telling people not to care about the story you're watching isn't a good argument, and DC isn't treating these like standalone stories at all, so this is a poor argument.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Looks like Peter ends up with that special Iron Spider-ish suit from the end of Homecoming after all, at least for this movie

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

why are you and rhyno always so belligerently wrong about everything

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Arist posted:

why are you and rhyno always so belligerently wrong about everything

Impossible. Rhyno hates Agents of Shield and I like it. We can't both be wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Impossible. Rhyno hates Agents of Shield and I like it. We can't both be wrong.

Whoa, what if we're alternate universe versions of each other???

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rhyno posted:

Whoa, what if we're alternate universe versions of each other???

That would be too confusing, I'd need to be posting for years to build up to that so that people would really be invested and that twist would be earned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That would be too confusing, I'd need to be posting for years to build up to that so that people would really be invested and that twist would be earned.

So maybe you're an evil poster from the future that I inspired to come back in time and become my greatest nemesis?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
We don't need years of your posts to earn your shitposting moments, just one page of this thread.

Ragnarok looks great. Still can't believe I'm excited for a Thor film, much less one co-starring Mark Ruffalo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TFRazorsaw posted:

Telling people not to care about the story you're watching isn't a good argument, and DC isn't treating these like standalone stories at all, so this is a poor argument.

I'm willing to argue that most people enjoy the MCU films because they're generally just well made and fun, but safe, movies, and that aside from the first Avengers film, the setup/investment and connective tissue between each of the movies has little to no influence on the average moviegoers opinion of them. X-O made me aware of this notion when he mentioned a little while ago that there are people outside of our bubble of movie nerds and comic book fans who think the X-Men movies are part of the MCU.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 23, 2017

• Locked thread