Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Klyith posted:

Hahaha no you are talking out of your rear end. ESA launch was plenty expensive. Russian was cheaper but not that cheap. Offset by things like transport, higher insurance, and the fact that the US govt can't use a russian launch for most things.

The cost rich dudes paid to go to the ISS has zero bearing on any real costs. And that was $20-40 million btw.
SpaceX isn't cheap either though? You seem more interested in jerking off about disruption than anything else.

And 40 million paid to SpaceX for a manned flight right now gets you what, a suborbital hop? Elon is a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Klyith posted:

no this is gonna be ultra-secret double gentrfication! the pure and innocent native culture of Philladelphia and Baltimore will be driven out or appropriated by ravenous hyperlooping New Yorkers. The only place you'll be able to get a cheesesteak or crabcake will be in trendy NY-fusion restaurants, and it will be served by a guy with a brooklyn accent and a yankees hat!

Hahaha no you are talking out of your rear end. ESA launch was plenty expensive. Russian was cheaper but not that cheap. Offset by things like transport, higher insurance, and the fact that the US govt can't use a russian launch for most things.

The cost rich dudes paid to go to the ISS has zero bearing on any real costs. And that was $20-40 million btw.

as someone who grew up next to baltimore and lives in philly, crabcakes are overrated and cheesesteaks are terrible.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Doc Hawkins posted:

You know this guy personally or what?

yeah I suck his dick on the reg, can't you tell?

Like, I know this thread is about making fun of the failures of unrestrained non-productive capitalism. But there's also being a idiot about it, and fishmech is totally that idiot.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

fishmech posted:

SpaceX isn't cheap either though? You seem more interested in jerking off about disruption than anything else.

And 40 million paid to SpaceX for a manned flight right now gets you what, a suborbital hop? Elon is a joke.

Just quoting fishmech being wrong.

You can't buy a manned flight from SpaceX and they don't do suborbital flights.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ohgodwhat posted:

Just quoting fishmech being wrong.

You can't buy a manned flight from SpaceX and they don't do suborbital flights.

How is that "wrong"? I asked what they'd even give you if you walked up to them with the fee that Russia will send you to the ISS for. And they've certainly never managed to get their manned spaceflight capsule to successfully orbit with a human crew, even though now they claim they'll totes send people in a moon flyby in it next year.

The spscecraft was originally supposed to be shuttling people to the ISS a few years ago, so far its only managed cargo flights to that destination.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Klyith posted:

Elon Musk is a lovely human being and should not be lauded for anything.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Klyith posted:

Ah, I see. Welcome to the thread, Mr. Musk.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I can believe that a lot of geotechnical engineers can be boring at parties.

this isn't getting enough appreciation

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

as someone who grew up next to baltimore and lives in philly, crabcakes are overrated and cheesesteaks are terrible.

Only good thing about Baltimore is the Bengies drive in.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

fishmech posted:

And they've certainly never managed to get their manned spaceflight capsule to successfully orbit with a human crew, even though now they claim they'll totes send people in a moon flyby in it next year.

i won't get into the ins and out of your wider point, but here you're mixing up spacex's manned dragon capsule which does have a planned 2018 launch date, but no stated goals beyond orbital test flights, and the nasa orion capsule portion of sls, which had originally been scheduled for a 2018 unmanned lunar flyby as its initial test flight and is now under consideration as a manned mission to shorten the testing timeline. in my opinion it would be a bad call for obvious reasons, but all nasa is currently doing is initial feasibility studies

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 23, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Klyith posted:

You ever beat him off too? Because you beat me to my joke. :mad:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

I don't know that there are a lot of geotechnical engineers sitting around bemoaning the state of tunnel boring at parties, and imagining how much better it would be if only Big Drill didn't have everyone over a barrel.

I am literal a geotechnical engineer and no one is saying this.

Ps: We are a riot at parties.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I want to rant about the rise of lovely coding "bootcamps" and the inevitable fallout that's going to have on the tech industry when it goes dot com 2.0, this a good place?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Elon Musk is a weirdo and proalby a lovely due, but at least he produces actual physical things people sorta-kinda want, which makes him better than most people from the Valley

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

withak posted:

I'm sure you guys are igneous at coming up with rocking puns, and it's sedimentary that you're the bedrock of a solid time. I can really feel the lava flow when you're friendly. Was your dad geotechnical too? You must be a chip off the ol' block, but I'm sure you don't take him for granite. Do you get annoyed with pebbles constant jokes, though?

Rocks.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Rime posted:

I want to rant about the rise of lovely coding "bootcamps" and the inevitable fallout that's going to have on the tech industry when it goes dot com 2.0, this a good place?

I've been curious about this - do you mean all bootcamps in general or are there some good ones in the mix?

It always seemed scammy to me but not in a way I could pin down, and I've heard, anecdotally, that they've worked for some people I know.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rime posted:

Now is a great time, especially since several of the oldest prominent ones are struggling or shutting down outright.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i won't get into the ins and out of your wider point, but here you're mixing up spacex's manned dragon capsule which does have a planned 2018 launch date, but no stated goals beyond orbital test flights, and the nasa orion capsule portion of sls, which had originally been scheduled for a 2018 unmanned lunar flyby as its initial test flight and is now under consideration as a manned mission to shorten the testing timeline. in my opinion it would be a bad call for obvious reasons, but all nasa is currently doing is initial feasibility studies

He means that Musk has said he wanted to send 2 tourists in a modified Dragon around the Moon in 2018. That date is looking more like 2019 because they want to be certified for crew by NASA (i.e. out of test flights) and they want a few flights of Falcon Heavy before they fly it. As of now, the certified flights might make it into the end of 2018 if there are no more issues.

NASA came to the conclusion that it would not be a good idea to crew EM-1, so the plan remains unchanged with Orion. EM-1, test flight. EM-2, first crewed mission. (They did decide to put more life support equipment onto EM-1 since the study showed they could afford to do it.)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Elon Musk is a weirdo and proalby a lovely due, but at least he produces actual physical things people sorta-kinda want, which makes him better than most people from the Valley

You mean he buys companies that other people have already set up and then spins a narrative about how whatever they do is all thanks to Elon "Elon Musk" Musk.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Yeah, I'm far from being his biggest fan, but think it is great that he is going into what are now less glamorous industries, like automotive and aerospace, and is bringing attention to them.

I know we all here are pretty big detractors of 'Ol Musky, but you have to admit that what Tesla is doing is pretty impressive. It is way harder to be an upstart car company than it is to be an upstart fart app company.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

eschaton posted:

You mean he buys companies that other people have already set up and then spins a narrative about how whatever they do is all thanks to Elon "Elon Musk" Musk.

Is he not really calling the shots at his companies and is he just a figurehead? I don't know much about it, which is why I am asking.

Otherwise this sounds a lot like when people whine about Steve Jobs for not really inventing the smart phone, the GUI, the mp3 player, etc. etc. While Steve Jobs didn't invent all of those things, he deserves a lot of credit for popularizing them and including them into well-designed, wildly successful consumer products.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Rime posted:

Bootcamp hype has already been over for a while as far as I can tell. Things are deflating now.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Musk is a weird guy but at least he's adding value to the world with Tesla/SpaceX. Hes a far cry from the uselessness of Theranos or Juicero, or the evil of uber.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

withak posted:

My experience is that geotechnical engineers are amazing at parties. Adventurous, fun, not too loud, polite. (Non negligible number with beautiful eyes)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

silence_kit posted:

It is way harder to be an upstart car company than it is to be an upstart fart app company.

There's nothing upstarty about Tesla or SpaceX, they're just regular old boring companies. They were neither the first to build electrical cars or the first to build space rockets. I mean for gently caress sakes Tesla Motors has been in business since 2003.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I just don't get his tunnel thing. It just seems like such an obviously terrible idea on so many fronts that it has to be a cover for something else. Or he really is nuts and nobody is convincing him otherwise.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I'm gonna start a company that will send rich people from NY to DC in 15 minutes. The details are still being worked out but it involves a large catapult.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mozi posted:

I just don't get his tunnel thing. It just seems like such an obviously terrible idea on so many fronts that it has to be a cover for something else. Or he really is nuts and nobody is convincing him otherwise.

I firmly believe that half the reason he is promoting it is as a marketing tool for his other companies. "Wow, Musk is doing that too?! What about Tesla and SpaceX and his solar company?!"

It is simply another way to stay on TV, and at the forefront of people's minds. There are a lot of hurdles to get past, some of which are likely insurmountable. Just my theory.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

Rime posted:

The bubble is already starting to burst. The Iron Yard, one of the bigger boot camps in my area just announced they're shutting down.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

MiddleOne posted:

There's nothing upstarty about Tesla or SpaceX, they're just regular old boring companies. They were neither the first to build electrical cars or the first to build space rockets. I mean for gently caress sakes Tesla Motors has been in business since 2003.

Lol, you are seriously ideologically committed to crapping on Tesla. Even if you don't like Elon Musk or Tesla (I don't particularly like him and will probably never buy a Tesla), you have to admit that it's pretty incredible that his car company, started in the 21st century, is doing as well as it is. The only other American car companies still in business are either very boutique and very low volume, much lower than Tesla, or have been around for 100 years.

It's incredibly hard to compete in the automotive industry, and even if you are a party line poster in this thread who lusts for startup & tech company death, you should at least recognize that it is pretty amazing that Tesla is doing as well as it is currently doing.

I can't comment on SpaceX--I'm not very familiar with that industry.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 23, 2017

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

silence_kit posted:

Lol, you are seriously ideologically committed to crapping on Tesla. Even if you don't like Elon Musk or Tesla (I don't particularly like him and will probably never buy a Tesla), you have to admit that it's pretty incredible that his car company, started in the 21st century, is doing as well as it is. The only other American car companies still in business are either very boutique and very low volume, much lower than Tesla, or have been around for 100 years.

It's incredibly hard to compete in the automotive industry, and even if you are a party line poster in this thread who lusts for startup & tech company death, you should at least recognize that it is pretty amazing that Tesla is doing as well as it is currently doing.

I can't comment on SpaceX--I'm not very familiar with that industry.

It's a cult of personality that's value has nothing to do with how good the product is.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JamesKPolk posted:

I've been curious about this - do you mean all bootcamps in general or are there some good ones in the mix?

It always seemed scammy to me but not in a way I could pin down, and I've heard, anecdotally, that they've worked for some people I know.

you can't learn good programming from a bootcamp, and considering the prices they charge, you should be able to. worse, the schedule they have you follow means what little they do teach you will not end up sticking.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Trevor Hale posted:

It's a cult of personality that's value has nothing to do with how good the product is.

I agree that Tesla, like Apple, has brand cachet, and as a result people attribute things to Tesla's products that don't really exist.

But the Model S when it first came out really took the major car companies by surprise, was a much better electric car than what was on the market then, and had the big automakers scrambling. Tesla is not all hype, although many posters in this thread prefer to believe that it is.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Even if you don't like Elon Musk or Tesla (I don't particularly like him and will probably never buy a Tesla), you have to admit that it's pretty incredible that his car company, started in the 21st century, is doing as well as it is.

Given that the company is perpetually in the red and is being propped up by irrational exuberance, not really.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It is indeed hard for Tesla to compete. That is probably why their stock has been so vulnerable as of late to any bad news:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/07/06/why-tesla-inc-stock-is-down-again-today.aspx
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/06/tesla-shares-plunge-12-percent-this-week-on-disappointing-deliveries.html

Meanwhile other companies continue to sell a whole lot more electric cars, and the "cheap" Tesla Model 3 still isn't properly shipping while GM's equivalent entered mass sales over 6 months ago and is selling quite well for an electric vehicle.

And perhaps more importantly, doesn't have the dumbest gauge interface in the world of a flat screen in the middle of the dash that's awkward to look at.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Horseshoe theory posted:

Given that the company is perpetually in the red and is being propped up by irrational exuberance, not really.

You could say the same of many longer-established car companies at various points in their lifecycles. Clearly they can't be in the red forever, but a new company being in the red is not automatically a disaster. Whether or not their valuation is accurate is another matter entirely, but I think theyve crossed the threshold from "an interesting idea" to "potentially viable business. "

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

You could say the same of many longer-established car companies at various points in their lifecycles. Clearly they can't be in the red forever, but a new company being in the red is not automatically a disaster. Whether or not their valuation is accurate is another matter entirely, but I think theyve crossed the threshold from "an interesting idea" to "potentially viable business. "

So you're saying that Uber is going to become the next Amazon or Google? :thunk:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

You shut your filthy whore mouth.

Do you just get Pats/Ginos grade tourist-steaks and I-95 rest stop crab cakes, or do you really have no soul and/or taste buds?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Horseshoe theory posted:

So you're saying that Uber is going to become the next Amazon or Google? :thunk:

Well according to the Horseshoe theory metric of (potentially) successful companies, Amazon has had many quarters where it was not profitable, therefore it had no hopes of ever becoming a successful company. To be the next Amazon is actually, contrary to common belief outside of this thread, to be the next major failed company.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Horseshoe theory posted:

That's their stated intention, they're just doing it in a very dumb way.

Amazon was making losses every year for their first 5 years or whatever. It wasn't because they were buying a book for $10 and selling it for $5. They were buying a book for $10, selling it for $15, and spending $2 on capital investments like warehouses, distribution networks, and a super-reliable website. Eventually those investments are finished and start paying back, and you have a big company that makes billions of dollars. They could have sold the books for $17 and been profitable all along, but that would have gotten them nowhere because everyone else was already selling books for $17.

Uber, on the other hand, is buying a book for $10, selling it for $5, and hoping that all the other booksellers go out of business or something.