Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
echi the new av is in fact pro af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
beer with a late lunch: High Water Cucumber Kölsch

p tasty when it’s 95°F outside, especially paired with a BBQ sandwich

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kenny Logins posted:

echi the new av is in fact pro af

:smugmrgw:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm drinking a La Croix which rhymes with laphroaig, but also every time it reminds me of that "crushing cold ones" picture someone posted and I laugh a little.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
buffalo trace was my goto "nice but not super expensive" bourbon in grad school but seems like it's getting more expensive

it's like when lionshead was dirt cheap and they raised the price, and it was like, dude, we drink this cause it's less than yuengling don't front

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

maskenfreiheit posted:

buffalo trace was my goto "nice but not super expensive" bourbon in grad school but seems like it's getting more expensive

it's like when lionshead was dirt cheap and they raised the price, and it was like, dude, we drink this cause it's less than yuengling don't front
here it's been stable
as a 90 proof it's very useful if you like simple bourbon cocktails like the julep or old fashioned
or else it just gives you more bang for buck

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

here it's been stable
as a 90 proof it's very useful if you like simple bourbon cocktails like the julep or old fashioned
or else it just gives you more bang for buck

I was in a fancy bar in Amsterdam once that had a bunch of fancy bourbons... and a bottle of old granddad. got an Aussie from hostel to ask and they spun some bullshit about it being some sort of artisanal true American bourbon

to be fair convincing someone to pay €20 for an old granddad is American as gently caress :911:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maskenfreiheit posted:

I was in a fancy bar in Amsterdam once that had a bunch of fancy bourbons... and a bottle of old granddad. got an Aussie from hostel to ask and they spun some bullshit about it being some sort of artisanal true American bourbon

to be fair convincing someone to pay €20 for an old granddad is American as gently caress :911:

lol

99% of the tequlia in european and asian bars is the most no-name export-only mixto garbage with sombreros on the top

poor folks dont know what good tequila tastes like

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
imagine giving them mezcal :getin:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

mishaq posted:

lol

99% of the tequlia in european and asian bars is the most no-name export-only mixto garbage with sombreros on the top

poor folks dont know what good tequila tastes like

still have a bottle of Don Julio 70 which I got in Mexico and it is really fuckin good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

OldAlias posted:

still have a bottle of Don Julio 70 which I got in Mexico and it is really fuckin good

i think most americans dont realize how good good tequila is, it's just the shot people do at a bar that tastes really gross

ive introduced several of my friends to reposados and anejos that are like $20-30/bottle at the store and theyre hooked

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you haven't had la croix curate you're loving up.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i would legit like to be proven wrong with a good tasting tequila

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
for a good balance of "wow that's actually really good" and not completely loving your wallet, i suggest casa noble anejo

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

mishaq posted:

i think most americans dont realize how good good tequila is, it's just the shot people do at a bar that tastes really gross

ive introduced several of my friends to reposados and anejos that are like $20-30/bottle at the store and theyre hooked

is sipping on tequila like you would on bourbon a thing

I'm open to trying it but my experience w tequila is limited to patron shots and whatever was in a bottle being passed around by some bad hombres on a muni

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

they probably dont sell much good poo poo in new zealand, and the few good things that are imported are probably expensive as gently caress

in the us you can get really good tequila for $30/bottle

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maskenfreiheit posted:

I'm open to trying it but my experience w tequila is limited to patron shots and whatever was in a bottle being passed around by some bad hombres on a muni

yes

get a bottle of gran centenario anejo, unless where you live is stupid it's stupid cheap

$27/bottle where i am

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

good tequila is great to sip, served neat is the proper way to go about it but on ice is fine too. "shots" and dumb poo poo like worms is export and misconception

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

echinopsis posted:

if there's limited good tequila you could prolly still get a good margarita somewhere

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

they probably dont sell much good poo poo in new zealand, and the few good things that are imported are probably expensive as gently caress

in the us you can get really good tequila for $30/bottle

wow

you cNt get a good bottle of ANYTNJNF for that money here/ huge liquor tax: you need to be spending about 50 at least to get any spirits worth drinking . holy poo poo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

wow

you cNt get a good bottle of ANYTNJNF for that money here/ huge liquor tax: you need to be spending about 50 at least to get any spirits worth drinking . holy poo poo

high liquor taxes are cool & good, excess drinking isnt good for you or society

but it sure is fun!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

maskenfreiheit posted:

yes very much so

first, never drink anything that isn't 100% agave

the four ages of real tequila are blanco (white/clear), reposado (rested), añejo (old/aged), and new in the last 10 years is "extra añejo"—all of these are about the amount of time the tequila has been in open-air fermentation, and the 7+ years required for extra añejo has only really been achievable post-2000 for some reason

for a sipping rather than mixing tequila, the key word is añejo, you'll pay as much for a good añejo as for a decent scotch, and you should drink it similarly (neat)

we brought a couple beautiful bottles of extra añejo tequila back from our last trip to Mexico, they've been quite tasty

a few years ago we met up with family in Florida and since there were no kids, we went to EPCOT where we discovered the great tequila bar in the Mexico pavilion, we got to try Partido extra añejo there and it was likewise good

we also keep a bottle of Cazadores reposado around for tequila coffee, the particular spicy flavor of Cazadores goes really well

oh yeah, and Guillermo de Sauza stole my umbrella at a party, but I'm OK with that as he made sure there was lots of good drink to be had that day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imagine the shame of being the kind of person that gets more to drink at 9:30 after drinking decently during dinner on a sunday evening just before starting work at a new place monday morning

:smugmrgw: because I don't have to imagine it :smug:

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
if ur morning drinking and its not a special occasion (holiday, festival, etc), then its shameful

if ur just buying booze in the morning who gives a gently caress

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

oh 9:30pm lol

pros will have a stash and not run out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
starting to think my drinking problem is actually a drinking solution

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i rarely buy more to drink than i need right now because i will probably just keep drinking it until it's gone

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

ur probably more of a pissheaad than me mate and thats saying somehting

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

eschaton posted:

yes very much so

first, never drink anything that isn't 100% agave

the four ages of real tequila are blanco (white/clear), reposado (rested), añejo (old/aged), and new in the last 10 years is "extra añejo"—all of these are about the amount of time the tequila has been in open-air fermentation, and the 7+ years required for extra añejo has only really been achievable post-2000 for some reason

for a sipping rather than mixing tequila, the key word is añejo, you'll pay as much for a good añejo as for a decent scotch, and you should drink it similarly (neat)

we brought a couple beautiful bottles of extra añejo tequila back from our last trip to Mexico, they've been quite tasty

can't buy any añejo stuff here, just white or reposado :smith: none of the other brands either

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

ur probably more of a pissheaad than me mate and thats saying somehting

maybe. tho you'd rarely meet me when i was clearly drunk.. well maybe that's not true but it's more like couple of drinks under ya wing makes everything move smoother and so you keep that up for as long and as often as possible

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
where are the cava and prosecco options

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Maximum Leader posted:

death to the bourgeoisie

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Maximum Leader posted:

in the trash, where they belong

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Maximum Leader posted:

if you have some available where you are, get mcc ("méthode cap classique") from south africa. super-solid champagne-style sparkling wines for peanuts (i.e. priced more like the casual prosecco/cava while being far more subtle and interesting)

unfortunately the good stuff sees little export, and there is some very bad (though cheap) non-mccs available in most places

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

bulleit's 10% off for the next month so that's going to be my poison for august, op

although it's 90 proof like bt is, it always tastes a little weak to me, especially if i've been drinking 100 proofs (i haven't, lately)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i loving love tequila both trash and good

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

my recent home brew came out less than ideal. it finished with a taste like cheap wine and i wasn't sure what i did wrong so its just been sitting in the basement for a few months. gave a few to my friend who said he wanted to try no matter what. texts me yesterday and says its actually pretty good. i chill a bottle and it's like a different beer then when i first tried. guess it needed more fermentation time?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

if you have some available where you are, get mcc ("méthode cap classique") from south africa. super-solid champagne-style sparkling wines for peanuts (i.e. priced more like the casual prosecco/cava while being far more subtle and interesting)

unfortunately the good stuff sees little export, and there is some very bad (though cheap) non-mccs available in most places

id love to try it, unfortunately the only mcc available here is ~$25 and needs to be specially ordered

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

real time update: this bottle of bulleit has a really strong toffee taste. almost as much as the last time I had Elijah Craig 12 yo. can't help but ice it down a bit, to tolerate it

bulleit is no bad for the price but it's inconsistent af from bottle to bottle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003