Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't wait for them to finish Timeranger before Over-Time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yesss, keep releasing Sentai! eventually they'll catch up and then they'll have to go pre-Zyu....right?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

jivjov posted:

Yesss, keep releasing Sentai! eventually they'll catch up and then they'll have to go pre-Zyu....right?

Well assuming they keep up the 2-3 series a year schedule it's going to be a while before they catch up with Toei, even assuming that they have to wait for Saban to adapt a season before they can release the Sentai here for the most recent seasons

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gingaman might be the most Okay Then Sentai to bring over.

It's one of the few where the Power Ranger version really is better in almost every respect, but they're also so different and removed from one another to be mind boggling that they're the same show.

I think RPM had more sentai footage than Lost Galaxy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TFRazorsaw posted:

I can't wait for them to finish Timeranger before Over-Time
At this rate, they probably will.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
They'll probably get Hurricanger before Imagination Station too. I want to see those ninjas.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Gingaman might be the most Okay Then Sentai to bring over.

It's one of the few where the Power Ranger version really is better in almost every respect, but they're also so different and removed from one another to be mind boggling that they're the same show.

I think RPM had more sentai footage than Lost Galaxy.

I always felt like LG was really uneven. Like, it's the opposite of a bad show, but you can feel it cracking under a lot of the production limitations and rewrites they had to do.

Plus I can't for the life of me remember anything notable about the Green, Blue, and Yellow Rangers as characters.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
the Blue Ranger was the straight laced no-nonsense by the book guy.

the Yellow Ranger was the Tarzan Lady who could speak to the animals.

the Green Ranger had been the caretaker of the In Space Megazord. He was like a mechanic or something.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Blue was administration, green was engineering, pink was sci-med, red was military, yellow was the magical native who talks to mecha-animals and justifies any non-technology elements of the plot.

They did a Star Trek, but they wisely kept the focus off the people who sit on the bridge and instead on the people elsewhere that occasionally are contacted by the bridge.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 22, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

See, you say that, and it seems right, but they didn't really leave a notable impression. That memory is gonna fade before tomorrow. They were just kind of there.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I always felt like LG was really uneven. Like, it's the opposite of a bad show, but you can feel it cracking under a lot of the production limitations and rewrites they had to do.

Plus I can't for the life of me remember anything notable about the Green, Blue, and Yellow Rangers as characters.

According to Twitch chat, the notable thing about Yellow was "THICC".

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

mikeycp posted:

They'll probably get Hurricanger before Imagination Station too. I want to see those ninjas.

Hurricanger got finished by a different group.

https://twitter.com/shushuttoscrubs/status/783449800092024834

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TFRazorsaw posted:

To a young me yellow was very attractive and had a above average bust size, that's the least creepy way I can phrase that I guess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That release was a scrub of the existing HK subs, but since those subs are probably the most coherent I've seen in that vein (besides the ones for Metalder that is) I suppose you could count that.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 22, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Don't doubt HK subs. Especially if they're from Indonesia

Unless they involve The Strongest Queer Guy, then you can doubt them a little.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

TFRazorsaw posted:

See, you say that, and it seems right, but they didn't really leave a notable impression. That memory is gonna fade before tomorrow. They were just kind of there.

Lost Galaxy had the best theme and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Lost Galaxy had the best theme and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise.
Well, I was able to immediately recall the song in its entirety the moment I tried, so you might have a point.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I never said anything about the theme. It's pretty memorable tho.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm just glad this means that next year we'll be getting GoGoV

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

I wasn't counting scrubs, but those seem passable.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I dunno what they scrubbed since nobodys done it before

Edit hk subs soft pass

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/kamenridril/status/875697889334370304

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I dunno what they scrubbed since nobodys done it before

Edit hk subs soft pass

it was hk scrubs, yeah

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well I didn't think I'd find out something depressing about Super Sentai from an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Watched the Time of the Apes episode and was curious about it since it made no sense whatsoever, found out it was a film that was condensed from an entire 26 episode series loosely based on Planet of the Apes (which was pretty obvious). Anyway, the MST3K wiki had this to say:

Baku Hatakeyama, who portrayed ape Chief of Police Geba, soon after gained more prominence and notability as Daita Ooiwa, the original Kirenger in the tokusatsu series Himitsu Sentai Gorenger (the series that became the predecessor of the Super Sentai franchise and Power Rangers). He committed suicide in 1978 out of fears of his typecasting.

Had no idea that one of the original Gorengers committed suicide, that's kind of sad.

Also of note:

Prime Minister Bippu was portrayed by actor Kin Oomae, who likewise had several Super Sentai roles, most notably Demon King Banriki in Denshi Sentai Denziman

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
He was the only one until Dairanger Green a few months ago. Also reported to be suicide.

Obviously a lot of voice actors, allies, villains, etc have passed away; but if you just look at the actors who yell a henshin phrase somehow Sentai and PR are now at two a piece; even though one show is waaaay older than the other. And the Japanese ones are all self-inflicted. :(

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I really hope that Gokaiger sticks around and does a tribute to them soon. They were the perfect cast, and them doing a tribute to fallen heroes seems like the best kind of tribute.

I still really feel for the Dairanger crew because even after decades they would always meet up once a year which I hadn't really seen from any other sentai cast.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
The coffee dad from mebius also took his own life in 2011.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RealFoxy posted:

I really hope that Gokaiger sticks around and does a tribute to them soon. They were the perfect cast, and them doing a tribute to fallen heroes seems like the best kind of tribute.

I still really feel for the Dairanger crew because even after decades they would always meet up once a year which I hadn't really seen from any other sentai cast.

Yeah the article a couple years back about how they all got together and could still do their transformation routine was amazing

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

so i watched the first 5 Hurricanger eps and uhh i think that might end up being a really good sentai

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I watched the whole thing, and yes it is. in fact some say, in an alternate universe where there were file forums, I once shared HK copies. You have to suspend your disbelief for some of it's lovely special effects (Power Rangers did a much better job at a hamster-sensei) but still it's a good sentai and a good PR adaption. I would say it's one of the better shows from what was probably the best "modern" moment of sentai at least from a production standpoint, because they had CGI graphics for transformations and finishers but didn't yet go completely bonkers and replace all the cool pyrotechnics and explosions with superimposed CGI fire.

I especially liked how PR replaced the sentai's grumbling immobile boss villain with a comedy villain who is actually surprisingly competent and avoids the downfall of his sentai counterpart when the other villains start conspiring against them.

I watched KR Heisei Generations and it made me go back and look at my old dvd episode of KR Blade that I downloaded from TVN's IRC bots many years ago. Blade fiddles with his belt and it says 'Turn Up' and then he changes. It's simple, it's fine. When the gently caress did everybody's form change start to come with a huge long narration of CHECK IT OUT WHOA WHOA BIG BANG PAPOWPOW style nonsense?

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 24, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I watched KR Heisei Generations and it made me go back and look at my old dvd episode of KR Blade that I downloaded from TVN's IRC bots many years ago. Blade fiddles with his belt and it says 'Turn Up' and then he changes. It's simple, it's fine. When the gently caress did everybody's form change start to come with a huge long narration of CHECK IT OUT WHOA WHOA BIG BANG PAPOWPOW style nonsense?

I believe OOOs was the first one to have full Form songs, then Wizard had pre-transformation jingles on top of that. It's been fairly consistent since then, minus Drive which was pretty restrained for having an actual talking Driver.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Man I need some variation of the Doctor Who 50th special where some old Rider, or a guy representing Old Riders, has to stand around waiting for these idiots to transform.

Just a shot of him alone, looking off screen and facepalming while waiting as the screen fills up with subtitles like IT'S A COOL BOY FEEL THE JOURNEY YOU'RE THE OPEN ROAD

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Don't talk to me unless your transformation is at least this flashy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7GA8dEgWhU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

He was the only one until Dairanger Green a few months ago. Also reported to be suicide.

Obviously a lot of voice actors, allies, villains, etc have passed away; but if you just look at the actors who yell a henshin phrase somehow Sentai and PR are now at two a piece; even though one show is waaaay older than the other. And the Japanese ones are all self-inflicted. :(

But how many Sentai actors have killed people with a sword IRL?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Man I need some variation of the Doctor Who 50th special where some old Rider, or a guy representing Old Riders, has to stand around waiting for these idiots to transform.

I haven't seen it, but something like this happens in the Showa Ending of Heisei VS Showa, I -think.-

Gaim is charging up his Orange Slash finisher thingy and then stops, realizing that #1 could have just kicked him in the chest or something while he was getting ready.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: There's also that great gif of Kouta/Gaim transforming between I think Decade and Faiz and his transformation sequence is so much more dramatic.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

(Power Rangers did a much better job at a hamster-sensei)

I am going to have to completely disagree with this.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ex-Aid 40:

When I started this series, I sure didn't expect it to lead to Emu instilling a debilitating existential crisis into his alter-ego. All of Parad's stuff was pretty dang cool, especially the co-op fight.

Masamune escaping defeat by just resetting the series to before Emu got his ridiculous final upgrade was also neat, though with ex-aid in particular I wonder how they're gonna give it more weight since they could just lock dan in a broom closet for a few days to make a new one.

I'm really surprised how much Ex-Aid has stepped up its game over the course of the series. If I'd been watching week by week I probably would've dropped out pretty early on, but it's gone some pretty neat places ever since Dan's stuff kicked into gear and the more rote MotW stuff fell by the wayside. Looking back it's kinda funny how many patients of the week in the Rider Chronicle arc appear for about a scene or two before getting cured partway through a fight then disappearing.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 24, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mikeycp posted:

I am going to have to completely disagree with this.

Look, man: He wears a little suit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I believe OOOs was the first one to have full Form songs, then Wizard had pre-transformation jingles on top of that. It's been fairly consistent since then, minus Drive which was pretty restrained for having an actual talking Driver.

the little songs for each transformation are more toyetic because that aspect can be easily reproduced by the toy belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Look, man: He wears a little suit.

Yeah, like with Doggie Kruger I'm gonna have to go with the Power Rangers side on this one. Ninja Storm had a nice looking CG hamster in a suit while Hurricanger used a real hamster and then switched to a hideous looking puppet for closeup shots (which I think was always the same shot, just reused over and over. I don't remember it ever appearing in another location at least).

Also, at least Lothor was entertaining. Tau Zanto was a boring villain who mostly just sat around barking orders and being cryptic (I've seen Hurricanger all the way through at least twice and I still have no idea what the "That" they kept referring to was supposed to be) until like the last 2-3 episodes of the show.

Despite all that, I'd personally consider Hurricanger the best of the 3 Ninja seasons (Kakuranger only loses out because it takes like 13 or so episodes before it actually starts developing a real plot) if only for the rangers themselves and some of the supporting villians.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 24, 2017

• Locked thread