Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Lots of teams have been successful and have had good defenses with point guards who are bad at defense. And for all the hand wringing about IT in the playoffs (myself high on that list) they covered for him pretty drat well. Point guard defense should not be weighed too heavily when considering value.

This unfortunately makes box score warriors correct but steals are usually the best thing a PG can bring defensively.

For a big, if you have trouble on that end of the floor it's a big problem. Example: "Can't play Kanter".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I am already sick of the Ball family.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

Lots of teams have been successful and have had good defenses with point guards who are bad at defense. And for all the hand wringing about IT in the playoffs (myself high on that list) they covered for him pretty drat well. Point guard defense should not be weighed too heavily when considering value.

This unfortunately makes box score warriors correct but steals are usually the best thing a PG can bring defensively.

For a big, if you have trouble on that end of the floor it's a big problem. Example: "Can't play Kanter".

A point who can switch up is valuable. George Hill, Malcolm Brogdon, Jrue, Ricky. That's the real value of the big point guard.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EvanTH posted:

Only "official" number I ever seen was 60-70% back in 1997 -- http://www.nytimes.com/1997/10/26/sports/marijuana-and-pro-basketball-a-special-report-nba-s-uncontrolled-substance.html

Some serious eye-rolling stuff in there, don't read old news articles all Think About The Childrening over athlete behavior. Also Karl Malone enjoyed Utah cause he was a lame narc.

Probably higher now, but who cares? Weed owns. I seen players more recently say like 75-80%+. Basically only JR Smith and Mitch McGary appear to smoke detrimental amounts.

If you're testing player for drugs you should be testing all of management for everything as well. And even then it ain't fair because the players can still perform at a world-class level on the stuff.

Without even getting into marijuana use there are now misguided people out there trying to eradicate cannabis. Cannabis is a naturally growing plant indigenous to this planet. Eradication could have unforeseen consequences to the biosphere.

Humans have a word for that. Genocide.

E2M2 posted:

Yea the East is terrible. Even without Kyrie the Cavs will still be good.

If the Cavaliers lost him it's :rip: 2018.

Femur posted:

this is all staged drama because that poo poo sales.

Cavs were in danger of going stale also...

poo poo is scripted

Spite posted:

See also the Team USA lineups last summer that had Kyrie and Melo on the floor.

If Carmelo is involved all bets are off.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

If that CLE rumor was true, what assets do the Cavs have that they could trade for Chris Paul and does IND really take Love for PG?My head's spinning.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I am already sick of LaVar Ball

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I will never be sick of Lavar Ball.

He makes people so mad. Its amusing.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Dexo posted:

This plus he seems to kind of actually know what he's doing. It's fascinating to watch

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TV Zombie posted:

If that CLE rumor was true, what assets do the Cavs have that they could trade for Chris Paul and does IND really take Love for PG?My head's spinning.

Presumably they would be trading Irving for Paul and Love is a much better player than what Indiana actually got.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

MourningView posted:

Presumably they would be trading Irving for Paul and Love is a much better player than what Indiana actually got.

Pacers no way no how move George for Love, primarily because they're stupid and petty and would rather have a worse team that "help" the Cavs. so I think that point whispering out of Lebrons camp is frankly bs.

I'm on team Irving, I think he smelled LeBron getting wanderlust again and was like gently caress being in Cleveland then and now LeBron is trying to make someone else be the bad guy

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Apparently Scott Perry hasn't met with Dolan yet. Don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'm telling y'all, the "correct" move was Irving for CP3 and if the Clips could be convinced, TT and picks for DeAndre. Clippers save money and get young, and the Cavs become real deal contenders. The only thing in their way would be roster continuity and I think that matters less when the two guys coming in are long time teammates and one of them is Chris Paul.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dexo posted:

I get the feeling he's going to overshadow all of his sons.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Love didn't really make sense for the Pacers since they are semi-rebuilding , but they would have happily involved another team that wants him to get young pieces from like the rumored CLE-IND-DEN swaps.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

DeimosRising posted:

I'm telling y'all, the "correct" move was Irving for CP3 and if the Clips could be convinced, TT and picks for DeAndre. Clippers save money and get young, and the Cavs become real deal contenders. The only thing in their way would be roster continuity and I think that matters less when the two guys coming in are long time teammates and one of them is Chris Paul.

But that doesn't help them against GSW. I feel like Kyrie is actually a matchup problem in Cleveland's favor. Iguodala is the only person on GSW that can slow Kyrie down, but Iggy has to stay on Lebron.

Klay's been really good against CP3 and even Curry can hold his own at times. He won't be able to score enough to keep Cleveland in games.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spite posted:

But that doesn't help them against GSW. I feel like Kyrie is actually a matchup problem in Cleveland's favor. Iguodala is the only person on GSW that can slow Kyrie down, but Iggy has to stay on Lebron.

Klay's been really good against CP3 and even Curry can hold his own at times. He won't be able to score enough to keep Cleveland in games.

There's probably no feasible move that beats GS but Deandre+Crisp Haul instantly makes them a good defensive team. They didn't have any other route to a competitive defense. Now they straight up haven't got one

Edit: let's be clear, Cleveland isn't close at the moment. They got trashed in the GS series and only won a game when they couldn't miss

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 23, 2017

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DeimosRising posted:

There's probably no feasible move that beats GS but Deandre+Crisp Haul instantly makes them a good defensive team. They didn't have any other route to a competitive defense. Now they straight up haven't got one

Edit: let's be clear, Cleveland isn't close at the moment. They got trashed in the GS series and only won a game when they couldn't miss

Having perimeter defenders helps to solve the KD problem and DeAndre can switch pretty well (especially on pick and rolls). Since GS is all about ball movement to get open looks and mismatches, DeAndre is probably the best center not in Utah for stifling that. Granted, you'd still need someone to guard KD one on one and not let Klay get open looks on the perimeter, buuuuut CP3-JR-PG13-LeBron-DeAndre (the no last name lineup) would probably have put the Cavs in a position to actually challenge the Warriors.

But it didn't happen.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The issue with DeAndre is that while it makes the Cavs defense better, it also makes the Warriors defense way better because DeAndre is not a threat. You never want to give Draymond any ability to roam the paint without consequence.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Tae posted:

The issue with DeAndre is that while it makes the Cavs defense better, it also makes the Warriors defense way better because DeAndre is not a threat. You never want to give Draymond any ability to roam the paint without consequence.

I don't know about DeAndre "not being a threat", he's one of the best roll guys in the league. Not that the Cavs were ever going to be able to pull off getting Paul and/or DeAndre regardless of how Kyrie handled the situation ("they could have had x if someone had done y" stuff after the fact is just fanfic from reporters), but having the two highest basketball IQ guys on the floor, they easily would have been able to make DeAndre a threat. Hell, Paul did it by himself for years with DeAndre.

And holy poo poo Tae, you spelled every name correctly in that post!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tae posted:

Deandre may literally be the best finisher at the rim in the league.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Clippers would not trade DeAndre for TT. Even if they wanted to blow up they'd probably get way better offers elsewhere.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Nah man ITT anyone who can't shoot 3's is worthless

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Deandre may literally be the best finisher at the rim in the league.

He's actually second to LeBron, who finishes at the rim better than even Shaq.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dexo posted:

Nah man ITT anyone who can't shoot 3's is worthless

Specifically when against the Warriors, pretty much. You just give the warriors defense way more possessions to just pack the paint than being spread out and possibly messing up on communication.

DeAndre is a good option against 28 other teams, but the Cavs only goal is to beat the Warriors.

If DeAndre dunks 10 times, the other 20-30 possessions are Draymond or Iggy or Durant just roaming and hard contesting the perimeter players because they're helping off him. Same as why despite Roberson shooting an unsustainable 4/6 on three's, the other 20-30 possessions were Harden just hanging around and disrupting the Thunder.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Tae posted:

Specifically when against the Warriors, pretty much. You just give the warriors defense way more possessions to just pack the paint than being spread out and possibly messing up on communication.

DeAndre is a good option against 28 other teams, but the Cavs only goal is to beat the Warriors.

If DeAndre dunks 10 times, the other 20-30 possessions are Draymond or Iggy or Durant just roaming and hard contesting the perimeter players because they're helping off him. Same as why despite Roberson shooting an unsustainable 4/6 on three's, the other 20-30 possessions were Harden just hanging around and disrupting the Thunder.

That's because Roberson is actually not a threat from anywhere on the court on the offensive side. DeAndre absolutely is a beast down low that you can't just ignore like Roberson, that is a poor comparison. And 10 dunks from DeAndre gets him at least 20 points (not including and-1's), I think every team in the league (including the Warriors) would be super happy with their "no threat" C scoring a super efficient 20 points. If the Cavs could get Jordan and Paul in this fantasy scenario, and DeAndre is good for 10 dunks a game, then they probably sweep the Warriors in the Finals, it wouldn't matter that the Warriors are able to cheat off him a bit (which they would stop doing round about his 5th dunk of the game).

Edit: \/\/\/ Which of us?

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 23, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

What you're saying is not actually true

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I brought my force field dog!

Well, my dinosaur eats force field dogs!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yes switching TT with Deandre Jordan make the Cavs worse as DJ is a better version of TT but he's been with too few Kardashians

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Kibner posted:

🐐

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kibner posted:

An underappreciated part of LeBron by the general populace (besides his passing) is that he gets to the rim way more with grace than power these days. Sure he still has plenty of LeBron freight train dunks but there are so many quick layups and neat reversals now that he's getting older.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20127818/nba-weeks-dysfunction-surrounding-kyrie-irving-trade-demand
Kyrie seems to be really needy and dramatic! Most of that can be summed up as "I want what Lebron hassssss *foot stomp*"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Shouts to Lebron's media team.

Kyrie wants a trade Because LeBron is leaving and Dan Gilbert is incompetent.

Everything else is editorializing lol.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
This was the best part

quote:

The Cavs kept working with the Nuggets, trying to win a deal that would satisfy the Pacers and allow Denver to get Love and the Cavs to get George. Both were concerned about Boston, who could trump their offers for George but might have been waiting to see if it could secure Gordon Hayward in free agency after July 1.

On the afternoon of June 30, the sides thought they had a deal. On a conference call between the teams, everyone tentatively agreed. George to the Cavs, Love to the Nuggets, Harris and other pieces to the Pacers, sources said.

Plans were put in place for a call to be arranged between George and Gilbert, an important step before the trade would become final, sources said. The front office began making other plans to complement George as free agency was about to begin.

But then Pritchard, who had been on the conference call when the deal was tentatively agreed to, sent the message that his team was backing out, sources said. There was no deal.

Pritchard sucks

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Pritchard owns

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Pritchard is bad but he gave the Thunder a chance to have a fun season before probably 5 years of tanking so he's actually good.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

Pritchard is bad but he gave the Thunder a chance to have a fun season before probably 5 years of tanking so he's actually good.

Not that I disagree but your consolation prize for your cool team breaking up was Russell Westbrook winning mvp and averaging a triple double so there are many teams that could have used it more. PG should have gone to Brooklyn definitely

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Love and Jokic would've owned

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dexo posted:

Shouts to Lebron's media team.

Kyrie wants a trade Because LeBron is leaving and Dan Gilbert is incompetent.

Everything else is editorializing lol.

What if LeBron retires after this year? He brought a championship to Cleveland. What's he got left to prove?

edit

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

tanks but no tanks

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I am insanely happy that Denver ended up with Millsap instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Metapod posted:

Yes switching TT with Deandre Jordan make the Cavs worse as DJ is a better version of TT but he's been with too few Kardashians

im not sure deandre is better than tt at switching but yeah its hilarious that apparently replacing the outside shooting presence of tristan thompson will be the downfall of the cavs spacing??

george on the thunder is far cooler than george on the cavs would have been

• Locked thread