Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

As "Eugh" as they could be, I at least halfway liked most of the characters in 2, whereas everyone in the first game barring Jordi were just a bunch of joyless turds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I liked the characters and their interactions and the main story arc was pretty solid and didn't seem like it was heavily revised right before the game's release. But the side missions and their tonal shifts were awful with the worst being The Black Guy Dies and "Lol we put ourselves in the game we're so cool please like us".

Apologies. Put no thought beyond my complaints about the game.

Lead Psychiatry has a new favorite as of 12:09 on Jul 23, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I always struggle with GTA sort of games where the plot is one thing and then the gameplay is something different. In watch dogs 2 it's that the main characters are interested in taking down the establishment and punishing these guilty sons of bitches. Then the first thing you do is steal some completely innocent person's car and take the ipad from the passengers seat for some extra chump change.

I know it shouldn't be a big thing but man I just completely hate the tonal shifts.

GTA IV was famous for this.

"I'm so glad I'm in america now and can leave all that bad stuff behind me" *steals cars and shoots prostitutes 5 seconds in*

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
To be fair the point of GTA4 was that Nico was a broken human being who couldn't leave his past behind. Just to what degree was up to you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Roman was a twat. I hated him soo much. I was like "Nico, just write him off, he's too dumb to live!" Those are the characters I hate in the GTA games though character written to be so dumb and stubborn that their only purpose in the entire game is to drag the player down with them.

I had that problem with Sweet in San Andreas as well. CJ, you just picked him up from jail. If he asks you if you think you're better than him just because you aren't rolling with his lovely gang holed up in a collapsing neighbourhood, you say "Of loving course I am better than you. My sister is better off hanging out with the latino racer dude than with you as well, literally everyone in this town who isn't Big Smoke or the police force is better than you!" While he's annoying, at least the wannabe-rapper has a loving stable job and is trying to launch a career. He's doing something with his life at least even if he is grating.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:47 on Jul 23, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Agent355 posted:

I always struggle with GTA sort of games where the plot is one thing and then the gameplay is something different. In watch dogs 2 it's that the main characters are interested in taking down the establishment and punishing these guilty sons of bitches. Then the first thing you do is steal some completely innocent person's car and take the ipad from the passengers seat for some extra chump change.

I know it shouldn't be a big thing but man I just completely hate the tonal shifts.

GTA IV was famous for this.

"I'm so glad I'm in america now and can leave all that bad stuff behind me" *steals cars and shoots prostitutes 5 seconds in*

GTA Online is even worse about this right down to its basic game design. You go on a crazy huge heist, murder all kinds of people, steal jet planes and shoot down military. Get back into the city and the game starts making you pay other people's insurance when they crash because you dinged their car. The most effective way to grief in GTA Online went from just trolling around killing people, to getting the most expensive car you could and just rolling it into their line of fire and making them pay for it, especially since the game's karma system would punish them by marking them as a BIG BAD MEAN PERSON and mark them in red on the map for everyone to go kill.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

That seems like it fits the GTA universe to be fair.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Stealing innocents' cars and shooting prostitutes is entirely on you in today's open world games, though. You can go out of your way to do it but it doesn't mean that's the gameplay.

e: GTA San Andreas and Watch Dogs 1 absolutely had tons of weird tonal shifts baked into the mission design, objectives and presentation.

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I liked the characters and their interactions and the main story arc was pretty solid and didn't seem like it was heavily revised right before the game's release. But the side missions and their tonal shifts were awful with the worst being The Black Guy Dies and "Lol we put ourselves in the game we're so cool please like us".
Hey, come on. I'm only now playing it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

It takes a while for it to happen in the story but if you've been doing the side missions before you hit the main story, notice that something is always missing from them...

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

My Lovely Horse posted:

My bad. Was more concerned about rolling my eyes at the game than what I was actually saying. Late to do the edit, but still did.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Appreciated! :)

and I got to admit, that certain absence is extremely conspicuous as it is, so you have to be expecting something.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

My Lovely Horse posted:

Stealing innocents' cars and shooting prostitutes is entirely on you in today's open world games, though. You can go out of your way to do it but it doesn't mean that's the gameplay.

It's funny that people have a problem with this in open world games because it was totally them doing that thing and get upset the game allowed them to. It's like when they take your baby and you don't go looking for it right away.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A Witcher III gripe that is not related to glitches: why, in a fist fight that's apparently considered lethal, am I not allowed to use any potions or decoctions? Oh but you weren't allowed to use them in any of the previous side quests that involved barehanded fights, you say? No poo poo. They also didn't count as dying, with the 2-3 minute loading times that implies as the game apparently needs to regenerate the entire loving world map when I haven't left the room in the past 30 minutes.

How foolish of me not to assume I'd get involved in a bare-knuckle boxing match at a poker tournament where you're explicitly disqualified for fighting, despite the presence of a spy on the run implying that if any fighting did take place it would be the variety that allows me to make use of all the skills I invested in so far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Appreciated! :)

and I got to admit, that certain absence is extremely conspicuous as it is, so you have to be expecting something.

The same thing happens in Saints Row 2 where Johnny Gat and Carlos don't show up outside of their respective missions, so it becomes obvious that something happens to them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Vic posted:

It's funny that people have a problem with this in open world games because it was totally them doing that thing and get upset the game allowed them to. It's like when they take your baby and you don't go looking for it right away.

The usual counter argument to this is how saints row just makes the boss a psychopath in cutscenes too. And that works but man itd be tedious if they all did that.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The usual counter argument to this is how saints row just makes the boss a psychopath in cutscenes too. And that works but man itd be tedious if they all did that.

One other way of doing it is the implement systems that discourage or make it harder to play as a murderous psycho, stuff like Mafia 1&2s robust & unrelenting police system or Sleeping Dogs making guns rare(& constantly taking them away).

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Nuebot posted:

GTA Online is even worse about this right down to its basic game design. You go on a crazy huge heist, murder all kinds of people, steal jet planes and shoot down military. Get back into the city and the game starts making you pay other people's insurance when they crash because you dinged their car. The most effective way to grief in GTA Online went from just trolling around killing people, to getting the most expensive car you could and just rolling it into their line of fire and making them pay for it, especially since the game's karma system would punish them by marking them as a BIG BAD MEAN PERSON and mark them in red on the map for everyone to go kill.

unless they changed it you can drive to the helipad at the marina in los santos and ram parked cars into the water and you don't get dinged for insurance because you didn't "attack" the car or something. i did it all the time and it's almost guaranteed you will find some idiot parked his zentorno there or whatever because people love helicopters

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Vic posted:

Yeah, if anything I feel like you should give Watch Dogs 2 credit for actually going out of its way to focus on non-lethal options for everything.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

The same thing happens in Saints Row 2 where Johnny Gat and Carlos don't show up outside of their respective missions, so it becomes obvious that something happens to them.
That's the exact one I was thinking of too. I think SR2 hides it a little better, at least if you don't do it strictly gang-by-gang, and Watch Dogs 2 is particularly obvious about it because Horatio also isn't in any of the cover artwork or most conversations. I thought he might turn out to be a mole, actually, mostly because the very first thing you're bound to discover in the hackerspace is that he leaves little dossiers about everyone lying around.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah; well, the important thing is, the boss is a psycho both in cutscenes and in missions. Saints Row doesn't give you a cutscene with an unhinged madman leading into a stealthy tailing mission, and Saints Row doesn't give you a cutscene lamenting the violence of inner city street gang life before you reenact the Valentine's Day massacre, only with a tank. With the kind of gameplay Saints Row itself presents, nothing you think of doing really feels out of place.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Someone mentioned the Mafia games? I sure did get pissed off at Mafia II.

As I recall, in the middle of the game your character is supposed to be an up and coming mobster running rackets, raking in cash, having crime sprees, and so on. For some reason they take a step back from the gameplay at that point and show you a montage with a voiceover to tell you how awesome it is for the main character to do all that stuff then it fast forwards to move you along in the plot. Why the hell did they think I would not want to play through all that stuff? It sounded fun!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The developers eventually talked about how all that stuff was supposed to be in the game but their publisher made them strip it out so they could sell it as DLC.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Pretty much anything to do with carriages in rear end creed syndicate blows

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Space Skeleton posted:

Someone mentioned the Mafia games? I sure did get pissed off at Mafia II.

As I recall, in the middle of the game your character is supposed to be an up and coming mobster running rackets, raking in cash, having crime sprees, and so on. For some reason they take a step back from the gameplay at that point and show you a montage with a voiceover to tell you how awesome it is for the main character to do all that stuff then it fast forwards to move you along in the plot. Why the hell did they think I would not want to play through all that stuff? It sounded fun!

Then the game just ends,i understand the whole "crime isn't what it's cracked up to be,crime is bad blah blah" but that doesn't mean being a schmuck throughout the game is fun.

I want my goddamn money and power damnit!

Are there any crime games where you do get to be big and powerful and wear nice suits and get everyone else to be your bitch?
I want to order my mooks about and stamp out the competition from my fancy mob chair.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Liberal crime squad?

I think gangsters or something like that might be like it. It's in gog at least

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Then the game just ends,i understand the whole "crime isn't what it's cracked up to be,crime is bad blah blah" but that doesn't mean being a schmuck throughout the game is fun.

Are there any crime games where you do get to be big and powerful and wear nice suits and get everyone else to be your bitch?
I want to order my mooks about and stamp out the competition from my fancy mob chair.

Omerta: City of Gangsters.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Saint's Row?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The old Scarface game is kinda like that. It's also pretty fun on it's own, with a dedicated "You loving cock-a-roches!" button.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Godfather games were GTA clones but they were really good about this since most of the actual gameplay was built around taking over the city, both taking over local businesses and getting them to pay protection money and by physically assaulting other family strongholds. I never played The Godfather 2 but apparently it has a full real-estate minigame and also some strategy stuff.

ShootaBoy posted:

The old Scarface game is kinda like that. It's also pretty fun on it's own, with a dedicated "You loving cock-a-roches!" button.

Yeah that game had a great sense of progression because you start out selling drugs to individual people on the street for a few bucks a hit and by the end you have your own drug plantation and you personally pilot a cigarette boat full of drugs into America and deliver them to the distributors.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dedicated "Make Tony swear" button was too good for this world.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Dedicated "Make Tony swear" button was too good for this world.

And it's still only the 50 Cent game which has followed up on that... it needs to be in more games dammit!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Dog's Life has dedicated button combos for pooping and peeing. And if you've just pooped he farts instead. Get on the weird PS2 game's level, bitch!

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Darkness 2?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

im pooping! posted:

unless they changed it you can drive to the helipad at the marina in los santos and ram parked cars into the water and you don't get dinged for insurance because you didn't "attack" the car or something. i did it all the time and it's almost guaranteed you will find some idiot parked his zentorno there or whatever because people love helicopters

I think it only counts if like, the person is in the car or something. Or maybe you have to actually do damage to the car, so pushing it won't count but clipping it while driving will? There are some weird laws governing whether or not you have to pay insurance. But if I ever play that game again, I'll definitely give that a try.

So I started playing Diablo 3 and I don't know poo poo about seasons or Adventure Mode and the game doesn't seem especially rushed to explain it to me. But I guess I have to grind to level 70 in the first chapter of the game or something? Seems pretty weird to give me a quest for end-game content but not tell me what I'm doing.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

WampaLord posted:

Omerta: City of Gangsters.

Yeah I had that game,gently caress that game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm glad it's mostly dying out but playing some older Diablo-like and RPG games makes me wish devs realised that loving up a build isn't fun, obsessively following a guide isn't fun, just make all options sensible and viable in a game. And make things like respeccing free.

Like if I'm playing some random RPG and am playing a magicman don't let me somehow "put points into Strength" unless that's actually an intended and viable build.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

bewilderment posted:

I'm glad it's mostly dying out but playing some older Diablo-like and RPG games makes me wish devs realised that loving up a build isn't fun, obsessively following a guide isn't fun, just make all options sensible and viable in a game. And make things like respeccing free.

Like if I'm playing some random RPG and am playing a magicman don't let me somehow "put points into Strength" unless that's actually an intended and viable build.

Path of Exile can be really frustrating about it and it's largely what killed my interest in the game, and kills it every time I feel the urge to replay it. There are certain points where difficulty jumps in ways that you absolutely have to have minimum levels of HP, Shields and resistances which kind of sucks because you can't even really make a glass cannon build and run the risk since there are just way too enemies with damage auras and poo poo you straight up can not avoid. So you spend half your leveling time feeling really underpowered because if you don't focus on those stats first, you'll hit a hard impassable wall where everything just instantly wipes you out.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Nuebot posted:

So I started playing Diablo 3 and I don't know poo poo about seasons or Adventure Mode and the game doesn't seem especially rushed to explain it to me. But I guess I have to grind to level 70 in the first chapter of the game or something? Seems pretty weird to give me a quest for end-game content but not tell me what I'm doing.
Adventure Mode is meant to be open-ended where you can pick any of the five Acts in the game and have the game generate objectives for you. If you want a more guided experience through the entire game, play the Campaign first. Seasons are for speedrunners who already know the game inside and out and want to compete in finding the fastest leveling strategies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

hirvox posted:

Adventure Mode is meant to be open-ended where you can pick any of the five Acts in the game and have the game generate objectives for you. If you want a more guided experience through the entire game, play the Campaign first. Seasons are for speedrunners who already know the game inside and out and want to compete in finding the fastest leveling strategies.

Yeah I picked up on the adventure mode thing pretty quick, but like. They could just put what you said as the actual adventure mode description and it'd be 100% better. I'm really enjoying it though. I only went with the season because it promised me a free armor set and by "clear act I, II and III" I thought it meant story mode, not random achievements.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Having now arrived at the mission in question in Watch Dogs 2, that is a weird shift in tone. Someone on the dev team sure loves street gangs. All this time you go up against tech giants and rival hackers and suddenly you fight a gang. At least not for like a third of the game again I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

nah, that's more an arena shooter like bullet storm with a suffocating plot.

honestly it'd be funny to see an Overlord/Pikmin kinda game with mobsters. just point at a crowd and tell your goons to break some legs.