Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Chris Darden just did an AMA on reddit and hooo boy is he salty. For real, dude was super honest and pulled no punches, a really entertaining read if you aren't OJ'd out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

People stayed over playing dominoes hours til 1 am. I'm dying

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

All of my dominoes playing friends moved away years ago and everyone I know plays cards now, I miss the bones.

At least the storm probably cooled things off for you.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I spent the day at my motherfuckin HOUSE

I now own a big rear end fridge and a kick rear end washer dryer combo so big it could even wash your moms mumu

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I miss my ex's country mansion. She had some loving heavy duty washer dryer set in a walk in closet in her bedroom that was almost completely silent. I wasn't sure if they were a secret rich white person brand or something commercial but they ruled.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Its Rinaldo posted:

Grats on getting married!

Thanks! I did a pretty good job. She's a nice lady and I didn't flub my vows or nothin.

Neil Armbong posted:

Yeah, we had to put up a good chunk of our wedding, which was p modest at 15k, but it was a fun day and worth it. My only regret was cheaping out on a photographer.

Sadly 15 k sounds standard. I think our expenses went up to 16.5. That's for rehersal dinner, wedding, and travel back east for the event. We paid the lion's share but my parents and her mom were a huge help. Plus, since we were hoping on a plane to Portland a few days later most people gave us little checks instead of gifts. That stuff helps.

Photographer is the one thing I forgot, absolutely go top shelf for the photographer. We got some excellent recommendations then gave ours a trial run with the engagement photos. God drat was that lady a pro. She perfectly handled everyone from grumpy Grandma's to sleepy flower girls. She even fixed our bubble machine for the big exit.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

swickles posted:

Chris Darden just did an AMA on reddit and hooo boy is he salty. For real, dude was super honest and pulled no punches, a really entertaining read if you aren't OJ'd out.

Since the glove did not fit, would he have acquit?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

So I just got married at the end of June and I have to disagree with the consensus here. We dropped a shitload of cash on the wedding, her dad sucks and didn't help at all, but it was some of the best money I've ever spent. Nobody should over extend themselves for sure. Still, spend what you're able to make sure a day with all the people you like best, celebrating the person you love most, is as awesome as you can make it. Like, other than not dying, that's what money is for.

I also want to second whoever said the biggest bill should be the bar tab. Get lit.

We have found a mobile bar hire that does a deal where if the bar does over £1000 then he refunds 50% of the hire back. Over £2000 then he refunds 100% back.

Also Gratz on getting married buddy!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CyberPingu posted:

We have found a mobile bar hire that does a deal where if the bar does over £1000 then he refunds 50% of the hire back. Over £2000 then he refunds 100% back.

Also Gratz on getting married buddy!

Your going to have a cash bar at your wedding?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

We cannot afford to have a free bar at our wedding tbh. We are going to do complimentary drinks with the meal and the the toasts but all her families weddings we have been to (even the cousin that spent £20k on theirs) didn't do a free bar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CyberPingu posted:

We cannot afford to have a free bar at our wedding tbh. We are going to do complimentary drinks with the meal and the the toasts but all her families weddings we have been to (even the cousin that spent £20k on theirs) didn't do a free bar.

I've just never heard of that before. Is it a common practice in the UK? I'd have to be really close to someone to go to a wedding without free booze.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I can totally understand nixing the open bar if you just don't have the money but how the hell do you spend 20 grand and none of it on getting crunk.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I've just never heard of that before. Is it a common practice in the UK? I'd have to be really close to someone to go to a wedding without free booze.

Its fairly common over here tbh. I don't think I've been to a wedding with an open bar. Its usually custom to give complimentary drinks for the meal and like 1 or 2 for the reception then it goes to a paid bar for the after party.

In an ideal world id love to pay for it but its like £1000 that we just don't have.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I can totally understand nixing the open bar if you just don't have the money but how the hell do you spend 20 grand and none of it on getting crunk.

They had a Disney themed wedding in a country club....

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

swickles posted:

Did anyone ask if he hosed Marcia Clark

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's just from a guest perspective, I spent 50-100 bucks on a gift, possibly bought a plane ticket, spent an hour listening to how you're the happiest 2 people in the world, causing me to have an incredibly depressing bit of self-examination, and now I have to pay for my drinks?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CyberPingu posted:

Its fairly common over here tbh. I don't think I've been to a wedding with an open bar.

Didn't someone post something earlier where they explained the concept of an open bar at a wedding to someone from the UK and the response was "gently caress, how do people not die?"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Skwirl posted:

It's just from a guest perspective, I spent 50-100 bucks on a gift, possibly bought a plane ticket, spent an hour listening to how you're the happiest 2 people in the world, causing me to have an incredibly depressing bit of self-examination, and now I have to pay for my drinks?

All of our family lives in the same country. Only a couple of friends are coming from Ireland.

I kinda get what you mean but you sound a bit like an rear end in a top hat the way you said it tbh. I guess america has a totally different view on weddings than over here :shrug:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

So I just got married at the end of June and I have to disagree with the consensus here. We dropped a shitload of cash on the wedding, her dad sucks and didn't help at all, but it was some of the best money I've ever spent. Nobody should over extend themselves for sure. Still, spend what you're able to make sure a day with all the people you like best, celebrating the person you love most, is as awesome as you can make it. Like, other than not dying, that's what money is for.

I also want to second whoever said the biggest bill should be the bar tab. Get lit.

I half agree with this. Theoretically you'll only get married once so absolutely do what you want but there is so much more that money could be spent on, particularly if you'll be setting up a new place for yourselves.

We spent $5K and I want to say the average wedsing is $10k or up nowadays? A lot of guests gifted us cash since we'd been living together for a while by then and had most everything we needed. We we're able to use that money for a cruise, whereas if we had spent more we probably would've just put it towards wedding expenses.

But, yeah, do everything you want and gently caress what anyone else thinks. Anyone who disagrees with what you do can go have their own drat wedding.

Edit: Fwiw, we did 2 hours of open bar and a bottle each of red and white wine on the tables, plus champagne for the toast, obviously. Didn't hear any complaints.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 23, 2017

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

Didn't someone post something earlier where they explained the concept of an open bar at a wedding to someone from the UK and the response was "gently caress, how do people not die?"

Our last xmas night out had a 10k bar tab and we hit that before 9pm...

The entire company only has 150 people.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Also can I mention that the average price for a beer out of this mobile bar is £3.50.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

All of our family lives in the same country. Only a couple of friends are coming from Ireland.

I kinda get what you mean but you sound a bit like an rear end in a top hat the way you said it tbh. I guess america has a totally different view on weddings than over here :shrug:

Sorry, wasn't trying to be, also wasn't thinking about how much smaller the UK was geographically. I moved away from my home town and have probably spent over a thousand dollars on going to other people's weddings in the last 5-6 years, so I was being a little salty. But yeah it's incredibly uncommon for a cash bar in American weddings.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Sorry, wasn't trying to be, also wasn't thinking about how much smaller the UK was geographically. I moved away from my home town and have probably spent over a thousand dollars on going to other people's weddings in the last 5-6 years. But yeah it's incredibly uncommon for a cash bar in American weddings.

Eesh. Yeah geography plays a huge part.

Like i said in an ideal world I'd love to pay for a free bar. And if we only had like 20 people coming I probably would. But even though we are keeping things small at 60 guests the cost racks up super quickly.

And also I get the feeling alcohol is cheaper over here

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

All of my dominoes playing friends moved away years ago and everyone I know plays cards now, I miss the bones.

At least the storm probably cooled things off for you.

Yeah, it made the house bearable. Just had a big hangover breakfast and now I'm trying to decide if I want to do anything besides clean the house today. Maybe take the kids to Costco for some pizza at lunch.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yeah, it made the house bearable. Just had a big hangover breakfast and now I'm trying to decide if I want to do anything besides clean the house today. Maybe take the kids to Costco for some pizza at lunch.

Costco on a sunday? :staredog:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

Dude do not go to Costco on a Sunday, you have your whole life ahead of you

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I wish there was an easy way to use sa smilies in iMessage.

Someone make that.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

No Butt Stuff posted:

At least you had power to do that.

The storms once again knocked out my power, so it'll probably be a nice two days without power for the second time in a month. Thankfully no giant limbs fell in my yard this time.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Its Rinaldo posted:

Costco on a sunday? :staredog:

I go every Sunday, it's really nbd*

*So long as you get there right at opening, and know exactly what you're getting and where it's located.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

FizFashizzle posted:

Someone make that.

I'm gonna second this.

I would get so much use out of :neckbeard:, :suicide:, :stare:, and :razz:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

FizFashizzle posted:

Someone make that.

THe static ones can just be copied and pasted as images

Thaddius the Large posted:

*So long as you get there right at opening, and know exactly what you're getting and where it's located.

You're braver than I am

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Thaddius the Large posted:

i just came back from costco

this is true af

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I love Costco but I'll never go on a Sunday

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I'm about to get married and we chose a venue with no alcohol rights so we can bring our own, saving €€€.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

the mean lunch lady posted:

At least you had power to do that.

The storms once again knocked out my power, so it'll probably be a nice two days without power for the second time in a month. Thankfully no giant limbs fell in my yard this time.

Yeah we did get to keep the power. Lee's Summit doesn't lose it that often.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Oh poo poo, I almost forgot one of the most important things. Don't use Jos. A Banks for Tux rentals. Maybe that seems obvious to the more fashion conscious goons but they were the only shop that matches color palettes with David's Bridal which is where the bridesmaids got some nice/cheap dresses. Their service was terrible in 3 different states, 5 different locations. Multiple groomsmen had issues with their orders from size to colors to staff arguing with them with what the word "fits" really means. Truly horrific experience.

gently caress Jos. A. Banks.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I bought my tux online then had it tailored. Fit like a non-OJ glove and was very affordable. Also, Deshaun Watson wore the same tux for the draft, but I looked better in it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

was very affordable.

Said the doctor who bought a BMW "just in case he was going somewhere nice that weekend" :jerkbag:

don't worry, swick. when the revolution comes I'll vouch for you.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Swickles will have a socially necessary profession. He'll be spared when the revolution comes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FizFashizzle posted:

Swickles will have a socially necessary profession. He'll be spared when the revolution comes.

I dunno, can he skin a buck and run a trout-line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

That Works posted:

I dunno, can he skin a buck and run a trout-line?

Lol thinking there will be any wildlife after the trump presidency.

• Locked thread