Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jesus Christ that real estate :eyepop:

What kind of fps are you getting with that card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What footrest is that? I'm looking to replace my cheap plastic IKEA one.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Jesus I'd worry about craning my neck to view the extremities :gonk:. Report back in 6 months with a trip report.

The Milkman posted:

Looks like a Humanscale FM300. FM500 pivots a little differently and what I've used for ~6 years now.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Jesus Christ that real estate :eyepop:

What kind of fps are you getting with that card?

Have only run a few non-intensive games like league on a single monitor so far and haven't had any issues.

nem posted:

Jesus I'd worry about craning my neck to view the extremities :gonk:. Report back in 6 months with a trip report.

Looks like a Humanscale FM300. FM500 pivots a little differently and what I've used for ~6 years now.

I'm sitting far enough back that it's not a huge deal. Very little movement needed to go from one extreme to the other. They extended keyboard tray let's me sit really far back. I guess we'll see how my neck feels in a few months. :)

Yeah that's the FM300. Used to rest my feet on my subwoofer but I've moved all my audio equipment downstairs with the main TV. Really enjoying having something that can rock back and forth.

big scorp
Dec 11, 2016
I just got a new monitor stand in today so now's as good a time as any to post my garbage setup

http://i.imgur.com/evBc8nE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yxtGoMP.jpg
in the first image you can see I had no VESA compatible screens and because I didn't want any dead space I put a knife on it
in the second image you can see my superior phase change cooling techniques in practice as well as the hdmi splitter I use to send whatever is on my top right monitor to the tv in the living room when I have hu-mon females in my quarters

and here you can see my mediocre specs

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

big scorp posted:

Are you living inside a fridge?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

cliffy posted:

Are you living inside a fridge?

Click the linked photos, his cooling strategy is clearly displayed

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

Light Gun Man posted:

Click the linked photos, his cooling strategy is clearly displayed

Actually it's hard to tell how pointing a microwave at the case and living in a hovel contribute to his temps.

big scorp
Dec 11, 2016

cliffy posted:

Actually it's hard to tell how pointing a microwave at the case and living in a hovel contribute to his temps.

why it's basic physics, you know how crypto miners blast their graphics cards and cpus with ultimate heat in order to extract fake money, well if you throw REAL money INTO your computer it will actually cool It down

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Having a gaming computer while living in a condemned building is a rite of passage imo.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

what's with the drug money in the photo

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Oh poo poo, you David, Cable & Pookie too?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Please don't desktop shame itt

OP: pls seek professional help with your depression and regardless of setup I'm sure it's v nice to play :)

big scorp
Dec 11, 2016

Photex posted:

what's with the drug money in the photo

that's not drug money that's half next month's rent

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

big scorp posted:

that's not drug money that's half next month's rent

From selling drugs

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

what's with 7chan/#gaymanlove

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what's with 7chan/#gaymanlove

dont kinkshame

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm the knife

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

For the people looking for desktop surfaces, Lowe's sells stain ready solid wood boards in a variety of sizes for cheap (~$30). They're designed for building custom furniture and whatnot. The only thing that was an issue with them is they're only 3/4 inch thick so they need some reinforcement if they're going to be a structural piece. My desk has a full frame with the wood just bolted on top so it wasn't a big deal.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

big scorp posted:

I just got a new monitor stand in today so now's as good a time as any to post my garbage setup

http://i.imgur.com/evBc8nE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yxtGoMP.jpg
in the first image you can see I had no VESA compatible screens and because I didn't want any dead space I put a knife on it
in the second image you can see my superior phase change cooling techniques in practice as well as the hdmi splitter I use to send whatever is on my top right monitor to the tv in the living room when I have hu-mon females in my quarters

Honest question, I'm confused why you're still on Windows 8.1.

Like theres the Windows 7 for life idiots who refuse to admit Windows 10 is legitimately better, but I didn't think anyone preferred 8.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 19, 2017

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

pr0zac posted:

Like theres the Windows 7 for life idiots who refuse to admit Windows 10 is legitimately better, but I didn't think anyone preferred 8.

Honestly there's nothing wrong with 8.1 if you run classic shell or some other start menu replacer. It doesn't have all the mess around updates that windows 10 does and is still getting security fixes from Microsoft. I use 10 personally but I think multiple desktops/workspaces is the only 10 feature I really appreciate

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah 8.1 with classic shell is literally fine. Plus it had some nice speed improvements, etc. vs windows 7.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

pr0zac posted:

I did. I liked the UI.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

pr0zac posted:

Windows 10 is legitimately better, but I didn't think anyone preferred 8.

Legitimately better at being a botnet piece of poo poo. It's always fun when it automatically updates without your consent and pushes a bugged patch that bricks your comp.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

YouTuber posted:

Legitimately better at being a botnet piece of poo poo. It's always fun when it automatically updates without your consent and pushes a bugged patch that bricks your comp.

Win10 Pro lets you choose a "Business" update branch that doesn't update as frequently as the normal branch, and also lets you defer feature updates (aka "not security patches") for up to a year. You can also pause all updates completely for up to 35 days at a time, then you need to download all currently available updates before you can do it again.

It is loving stupid how the control panel has been split into two completely separate systems though. Like, monitor setup is now done from "Settings", but uninstalling programs and fiddling with audio devices is still done through the "Control panel" except you can also uninstall programs from "Settings" but if you do it there, it doesn't show you version numbers and install dates anymore, and also is way uglier and ughhhhhhh

As long as Win8.1 is still getting security updates and Start8/ClassicShell still work, I don't really see a pressing need to update to Win10, this is true

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 21, 2017

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The settings/control panel thing is inexcusable. The new settings app looks great, and modern and all that, but there is absolutely no excuse for every last setting moving across before windows 8 shipped to the public, not trickled across drop by drop over 5+ years

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
There is basically one thing about Windows 10 that makes me angry at this point. When you open file explorer, see the quick list of folders on the top left? You can put any folder you want in that list, but Windows basically creates a symbolic link there instead of a shortcut. This means if you rename the folder in the list, you rename the actual folder as well.

This means I can't have a "Steam Games" folder in that list, it must instead be forever named "common" which is ridiculous. If I have more than one steam folder, it's impossible to put both of the games folders in the list and have any way at all to see which "common" folder is the games folder for which particular drive.

In Windows 7, this list was just shortcuts, so you could rename them without issue.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Lord Bude posted:

The settings/control panel thing is inexcusable. The new settings app looks great, and modern and all that, but there is absolutely no excuse for every last setting moving across before windows 8 shipped to the public, not trickled across drop by drop over 5+ years

Yeah, it's incredibly ugly. It's still hard to believe Microsoft thinks this is a fit-for-shipping product.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

The Milkman posted:

subwoofer + the idiotic dxracer lumbar pillow strapped to it makes the best footrest

#thriftygaming

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Got kicked out of my office for a few weeks. I need to find a broom.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

dema posted:

Got kicked out of my office for a few weeks. I need to find a broom.

This is my fate the moment my wife gets pregnant. I even have the same lamp.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my wife is pregnant and my desk is safe, thanks be 2 god

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my wife is pregnant and my desk is safe, thanks be 2 god
congrats to her and the father!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What wallpaper is that? It's pretty slick

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

After years of using a notebook, I've gone back to a desktop:

To-do:

- speakers stands
- cable management
- new (bigger) monitor
- new chair
- smaller mousepad
- hang poo poo on the walls

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

El Laucha posted:

After years of using a notebook, I've gone back to a desktop:

To-do:

- speakers stands
- cable management
- new (bigger) monitor
- new chair
- smaller mousepad
- hang poo poo on the walls

Pro-tip: Get a fuckoff big mousepad. One that go under your mouse and keyboard. Makes life better.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Coredump posted:

Pro-tip: Get a fuckoff big mousepad. One that go under your mouse and keyboard. Makes life better.

This poo poo right here. You can get them big enough to fit a full sized keyboard and still have tons of room for the mouse. It's so much more convenient to move your keyboard around however you want and not worry about it running into your mousepad or sitting on the edge of it or whatever.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Q8ee posted:

What wallpaper is that? It's pretty slick

https://imgpile.com/i/nnv1pN

I've already switched to a stacked setup so I'm not using that wallpaper anymore, but it is nice.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Enzenx posted:

This poo poo right here. You can get them big enough to fit a full sized keyboard and still have tons of room for the mouse. It's so much more convenient to move your keyboard around however you want and not worry about it running into your mousepad or sitting on the edge of it or whatever.

Yeah but Christ buy any other brand out there than that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Glorious makes poo poo products.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...0bac3bb5f0ad592