Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

you too will get old, and when you do you'll fantasize that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

So you're saying the country has a terrible sunburn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Coca Koala posted:

The proliferation of information is probably a big part of it, honestly. There's so much information being presented now that a) it's impossible to keep track of it all and b) even cursory reading will tell you that everybody is lying all the time anyways. So once you think you know something, you can dismiss all the contrary evidence as being lies (since there are so many lies being passed around) and it's too much work to establish if you're correct or not.

Hypocrisy in politics is not something you can pin on those MILLENNIALS and their SMART PHONES. Complaining about the amount of hypocrisy in politics was Mark Twain's whole thing in the 1800s.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Groovelord Neato posted:

even with this admin it's almost mind boggling how immoral a person can be to vocally support hillary clinton and poo poo on trump and then completely 180 and go and lie on tv for him. i really cannot grasp how this guy doesn't know he's going to be remembered as an enormous moronic spineless hypocrite.

Have you really never had the misfortune of having to deal with a 1980s style Businessman (capital B)? They are complete chameleons whose only guiding principle is "Greed is good" (lifted straight from Gordon Gekko without any intended irony) with a superpower of making people believe that they are behind them 100% while at the same time constantly looking for opportunities to sell those people out for a payday. And when that happens they will respond to a muttered "et tu, 80s-guy?" with "business is business".

People were comparing Scaramucci to the cryofrozen corporate raider "that guy" in Futurama for a reason. Like the tech bros in Silicon Valley, the Futurama depiction of anything understates just how awful those people are because the truth would make people go "oh come on don't be ridiculous".

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 23, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Robot Hobo posted:

It's because, somehow, there is absolutely no penalty for hypocrisy anymore. It used to be that being caught in a lie was a huge scandal, now it ... just isn't? The fact that the modern world records everything forever should have made hypocrisy so much harder to escape, yet somehow that matters less than ever. Trump Jr. can personally tweet his own evidence of Russian collusion, and the next day he'll still have people shouting that he never met with Russians and it's fake news.

The idea that all politicians are liars is as old as the concept of politicians.

We've always voted in liars, they're just usually better at hiding the fact that they're lying.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

even with this admin it's almost mind boggling how immoral a person can be to vocally support hillary clinton and poo poo on trump and then completely 180 and go and lie on tv for him. i really cannot grasp how this guy doesn't know he's going to be remembered as an enormous moronic spineless hypocrite.
This isn't someone knowing they are doing something wrong and doing it anyway, for the reward. I was going to type more then I just read shifty pony already typed it all.
That's not immorality, it's amorality.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Prester Jane posted:

FWIW actual reality is starting to get stranger than the delusional reality my schizophrenia trapped me in for a few years. That reality went away when I started taking meds and that was really nice :unsmith:

At present though no matter how perfectly I follow my prescription regimen Trump is still President every time I wake up in the morning :bang:

fake edit: Because of my illness I must constantly force myself to detect/reject my delusions and keep myself grounded in actual reality. (a constant self-maintenance routine only made possible by my medication) I have had to become something of a 7th-don master of my own schizophrenia to keep myself accepting that the reality where Trump is President is the legitimate reality.

That's the opening paragraph of your book right there

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

WampaLord posted:

The idea that all politicians are liars is as old as the concept of politicians.

We've always voted in liars, they're just usually better at hiding the fact that they're lying.

I think it's more that there is some actual truth behind most politicians. Like Paul Ryan is really an Ayn Rand worshipping soulless ghoul.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/RobTornoe/status/889143171619450881

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Historically they die because they got overthrown from outside OR power gets seized by autocrats/tyrants who destroy their institutiions.

So, yes. Typically though the autocrats are a LOT more competent so we're kinda breaking new ground here.

How many democracies have failed? Most of the examples of democracies or republics failing that I can think of have been states that were pretty fragile democracies, or that were not fully democratic to begin with. Like, the Weimar Republic failed, but Germany didn't have democratic traditions to begin with.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

glowing-fish posted:

How many democracies have failed? Most of the examples of democracies or republics failing that I can think of have been states that were pretty fragile democracies, or that were not fully democratic to begin with. Like, the Weimar Republic failed, but Germany didn't have democratic traditions to begin with.

That isn't technically true.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

glowing-fish posted:

Roman republic (internal autocrats too charge), Athenian democracy (internal chaos led to losing a war, replaced with oligarchy), Icelandic Commonwealth (the only true libertopia in world history, eventually everyone got sick of all the private feuds and just swore allegiance the king of . . . Norway? )

That's off top of my head

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/889139091949989888

They gonna let this little worm do this?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Kushner can only do 1/6th of low energy Hillary. Sad!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shifty Pony posted:

Have you really never had the misfortune of having to deal with a 1980s style Businessman (capital B)? They are complete chameleons whose only guiding principle is "Greed is good" (lifted straight from Gordon Gekko without any intended irony) with a superpower of making people believe that they are behind them 100% while at the same time constantly looking for opportunities to sell those people out for a payday. And when that happens they will respond to a muttered "et tu, 80s-guy?" with "business is business".

but he's already rich. he's selling himself out for nothing. worse than nothing really.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

but he's already rich. he's selling himself out for nothing. worse than nothing really.

Not nothing, there's the potential he could end up richer than before.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah but he thinks he can get richer and get more power if he sticks with trump.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

He wants a fox news job

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

these people are inhuman scum.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Radish posted:

Who knows but there's always some midwest Republican trying to repeal regulations of killing them at the behest of some rich rear end cattle rancher. I expect that a chunk of it is ideological like with climate change. gently caress the environment because telling idiots that they can't do something ] is the worst thing you can do in this county.

This is why I am not just trolling when I try to talk about geography in this thread.

For reference, here is a map of where large predators live in the United States:

There are no cattle ranchers in the midwest who are dealing with wolves.

Hearing people say things like that, to me, is like hearing a grandma try to buy CDs for their grandchildren in 1995. "Smashing Pumpkins...no, no, no, I don't want them listening to that rap music! I think they like alternative rock, like Bruce Springsteen".

The basis of the Republican Party in the house is in suburban states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. The amount of Republican Party members who live in areas where wolves are an issue is very small.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So Sessions seems to be wanting to try and go after marijuana dispensaries and people who buy weed legally in their state. Kind of wonder if this'll be the straw that breaks the camel back.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
In California, cougars are all over the state! :wow:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Roman republic (internal autocrats too charge), Athenian democracy (internal chaos led to losing a war, replaced with oligarchy), Icelandic Commonwealth (the only true libertopia in world history, eventually everyone got sick of all the private feuds and just swore allegiance the king of . . . Norway? )

That's off top of my head

Ah, I should have put a caveat that I was speaking of modern democracies. Athens and Rome were democratic in the sense that they weren't ruled by a monarchy, but they had a limited franchise, and there obviously wasn't the technology and infrastructure for a complex legal system, etcetera.

I mean, they are comparable in some ways, but I was thinking more in the past 200 years.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Groovelord Neato posted:

"Yeah I was in the White House, buddies with the president and met all these world leaders. Handled all the PR stuff. Imagine what I can do for your company." could open some serious doors.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Robot Hobo posted:

It's because, somehow, there is absolutely no penalty for hypocrisy anymore. It used to be that being caught in a lie was a huge scandal, now it ... just isn't? The fact that the modern world records everything forever should have made hypocrisy so much harder to escape, yet somehow that matters less than ever. Trump Jr. can personally tweet his own evidence of Russian collusion, and the next day he'll still have people shouting that he never met with Russians and it's fake news.

That’s because Trump is a cult of personality and can say lie after lie and it will never come back to haunt him unless he acknowledges he lied. That’s a key point. As long as he doesn’t admit he’s lying, his backers will continue to assume everyone else is lying. Even when he says stupid poo poo, his followers just assume he’s being misquoted or setup.

This also works/worked for Putin and Hugo Chavez. They did/can do almost anything they want...but the person that comes after them isn’t so lucky. It also won’t work for Donny Jr., Jeff Sessions, Jared Kushner, or Michael Flynn. The only reason people are defending Trump Jr. is because it looks really bad for Trump. No one actually cares about Junior.

So there’s plenty of penalties for hypocrisy. We just need to get over the fact there’s no penalty for Trump.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Shifty Pony posted:

"Yeah I was in the White House, buddies with the president and met all these world leaders. Handled all the PR stuff. Imagine what I can do for your company." could open some serious doors.

What doors would you need to open when you're already rich? I can't understand that level of ambition.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I can barely understand the resistance from the federal government to just push for marijuana legalization. I know there are a lot of interest groups that benefit from weed being illegal, but you barely see them making public arguments anymore (besides Sessions). Meanwhile, legalized states are having windfall tax revenue without any major issues and now serve as powerful pro-legalization interests.

Imagine if Trump legalized weed:

"Well, Trump is a piece of poo poo and did <terrible thing>, buuuuut he did legalize weed so I dunno man"

sharkbomb fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 23, 2017

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

sharkbomb posted:

I can barely understand the resistance from the federal government to just push for marijuana legalization. I know there are a lot of interest groups that benefit from weed being illegal, but you barely see them making public arguments anymore (besides Sessions). Meanwhile, legalized states are having windfall tax revenue without any major issues and now serve as powerful pro-legalization interests.

"Well, Trump is a piece of poo poo and did <terrible thing>, buuuuut he did legalize weed so I dunno man"

You should be more culturally sensitive, cannabis is very taboo in the Eastern-American ethnic group.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Does recess count as adjournment?
https://twitter.com/jennymandel82/status/889134905904508928?s=09

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“sharkbomb”" post="“474640302”"]
I can barely understand the resistance from the federal government to just push for marijuana legalization. I know there are a lot of interest groups that benefit from weed being illegal, but you barely see them making public argument anymores (besides Sessions). Meanwhile, legalized states are having windfall profits without any major issues and now serve as powerful pro-legalization interests.

“Well, Trump is a piece of poo poo and did <terrible thing>, buuuuut he did legalize weed so I dunno man”
[/quote]

For profit prisons.

Correctional officer unions.

Police asset seizure budgets.

D.A.’s who are afraid of being called soft on crime.

It’s already mostly legal for White people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, mostly it has to do with asset forfeiture along with private prisons being the big pushers for keeping marijuana illegal.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Groovelord Neato posted:

these people are inhuman scum.

We've lost the culture war. The new spokesman for the Trump admin is angling to be the next Goebbels, and no one is going to do anything about it except say "well he clearly was dominant in this conversation where he made the other guy cower by shouting him down with vitriol and lies, but his arguments weren't particularly genuous."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cheekio posted:

We've lost the culture war. The new spokesman for the Trump admin is angling to be the next Goebbels, and no one is going to do anything about it except say "well he clearly was dominant in this conversation where he made the other guy cower by shouting him down with vitriol and lies, but his arguments weren't particularly genuous."

Is this where we're at now? Really? The White House Communications Director is cause for arzying?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Google Butt posted:

he wants a fox news job
He had that already too, he signed a deal to host Wall Street Week and be a talking head back in 2014. So who knows what he wants? Besides More, I guess.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I include the people in denial as part of the ones who will not "do anything" although technically they're providing cover for the admin.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Comrade Fakename posted:

There's a theory floating about that China's gender imbalance means that they're going to invade North Korea at some point just to burn off the excess men.

That's dumb as hell and anyone pushing it is insane.

Unless China sends their forces in naked and unarmed they aren't going to lose very many fighting men by invading a country like North Korea. Losing even tens of thousands of men when you're talking about a gender gap that's likely well in to the tens of millions is basically nothing. And then they'd have a multi-trillion dollar area to fix up afterwards

How could Schiff's response to that counsel be anything other than "he will be available to use for as long as our questions require" at this point? If someone says "fine I'll answer your questions but only until I don't want to" I'd expect congress to tell them to sit their rear end back down or start pleading the 5th until they're allowed to leave.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

translation: "In his house at Mar a Lago, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
1https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/889143930629095425
2https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/889143826627121152
3https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/889165605181546496
4https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/889036199716941824
5https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/889161567891226624
6https://twitter.com/JoshuaGreen/status/888921002847219712
7https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/889155334694215680
8https://twitter.com/NPR/status/889163699709235201
9https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/889162432396111872
10https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/889162281531125760
11https://twitter.com/amyfiscus/status/889159536732491776
12https://twitter.com/TeddyDavisCNN/status/889166674129276930
13https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/889163690012028929
14https://twitter.com/JoshSchwerin/status/888744202665852929
15https://twitter.com/JamilSmith/status/889150444638846977
16https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/888912798209773568
17https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/889113814561546241
18https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/889142532617236480
19https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/888959928311918596
20https://twitter.com/JGreenDC/status/889118837303644160
21https://twitter.com/yashar/status/888980681581309952
22https://twitter.com/EricBoehlert/status/889025926171770881
23https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/889150328263892992
24https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/889159338509651968
25https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/889164961896734720
26https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/889121767670902785
27https://twitter.com/yashar/status/889109758162108418
28https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/889050735983210497
29https://twitter.com/itsdougthepug/status/888563672288681984
30https://twitter.com/harlowandsage/status/889149819226210304

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Christ, this is embarrassing. I've never seen an administration display this level of sheer groveling before.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Is this where we're at now? Really? The White House Communications Director is cause for arzying?

apperently. he is worse then spicer and it shows. news people on twitter and tv are still calling him out and he is just as bad if not worse at dodging them, trump only hired him because he talks about how trump is the greatest at everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I know Trump will probably veto any Russian sanction bill but why are people even worried about it? Doesn't it have wide bipartisan support that could easily override a veto?

Funnier question is why would Trump veto such a bill knowing it would be a fruitless effort and would only make him look worse in the eyes of the public, but honestly I don't even think Trump knows a veto can be overridden.

• Locked thread