Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Those niggas over at Red letter media make anything good over this last week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kazy posted:

Or that's the power of editing :ssh: He confirmed on PreRec that it was ecto cooler.

Admitting that you watch Pre Rec is a good self own, so I'm still claiming the moral victory here.

However, you are technically correct. The best kind of correct.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Jay, of course, is the hottest twink in Milwaukee.

It's crazy how this thread manages to be far creepier and awful than the loving RLM reddit threads

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Haven't read the last three pages but just wanted to say that Justice League looks hilariously bad and I can't wait to see it.

Ready Player One is gonna be the last movie Spielberg is ever allowed direct for cinema.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

So after the success of the Guardians of The Galaxy movies, I guess all Marvel movies are going to skew heavy on the comedy now.

Not that I'm complaining, at least it's something new that could make superhero movies slightly interesting again.

As much as I hate making a genuine contribution to a discussion about contemporary nerd culture.

Thor was part of Marvel's cosmic universe created in no small part by Jack Kirby. The whole style of the cosmic universe was very vibrant and different. It seems that Marvel studios are using the cosmic universe as the place where their movies can be fun and look and sound interesting.

(I am aware how dumb "cosmic universe" sounds)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

thor 3 just being guardians 2.5 is alright with me.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Haven't read the last three pages but just wanted to say that Justice League looks hilariously bad and I can't wait to see it.

whenever i see a trailer like that one i just think man i cannot wait for the half in the bag.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I hope they bring Revolori back to play Agent Venom in a future Guardians movie.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
That Thor/Guardians 3 trailer actually makes it seem like a fun movie. Being such an obvious copy of the GotG style is a bit distasteful but I'll overlook that if it's actually entertaining. It still has the superhero pinball fight problem though. I guess Thor vs Hulk is supposed to be like a cool "holy poo poo two of our strongest heroes going against each other" moment, but it'll just turn out to be a cgi snorefest where neither character is able to harm the other.

Also shame to hear Valerian sucked. French scifi comics seem to produce a lot of cool visuals that get turned into awful movies. Still gonna eventually see it, but then I'm a sucker who has seen Immortel multiple times.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the problem with valerian is every other scifi property has ripped it off for decades.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Thor 3 is directed by awesome New Zealand director Taika Waititi who has made very funny and unique films in the past

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Dang, I didn't know the director. Might actually have to go and see it then. What We Do in the Shadows was good enough for some "gonna pay cinema prices for this" credit.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Thor and Justice League and Ready Player One all look awful and dull to me. I cannot find any excitement in my withered soul to watch a CGI green man fight a CGI big bad wolf. Maybe I just don't like movies anymore

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

as much as cgi is lazy nowadays and i really wish the genre would wither and die there is a vast gulf between what you saw in the justice league trailer and in the guardians of the galaxy 2.5 trailer.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Ready Player One is gonna be the last movie Spielberg is ever allowed direct for cinema.

I wish they would give him a star wars movie before he retires.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The Archaic posted:

:rip: Revenge of the Jedi

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm, too, upset that Thor and Loki are humorous scamps like they've been depicted in everything for close to 2000 years.

Give me more extremely grim and grey Superman imo.

I'm exhausted with Marvel movies and starting to outright hate them, but god drat does Thor Ragnarok look like a loving great movie

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

but he's a beacon! a symbol of hope for all of us to unite! to fight against this famous actor who's totally cgi and whose voice we digitally altered so there was really no point in hiring him and we could've just paid someone scale to be our villain!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

but he's a beacon! a symbol of hope for all of us to unite! to fight against this famous actor who's totally cgi and whose voice we digitally altered so there was really no point in hiring him and we could've just paid someone scale to be our villain!

Zack Snyder needs to join his daughter.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Unionize today!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'm all for DC hate and especially Zack Snyder's direction of the DCEU but drat dude.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol oh dear.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
200 years from now the clones of the actors from guardians of the galaxy 2.5 will reinact the bit from the eddas where someone tricks thor into drinking the ocean and wrestling time

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Havent seen the trailer for Ready Player One and never read the book, but it sounds terrible.

The Archaic posted:

Yeah Spielberg probably gonna retire soon. Thats okay, we'll always have Jaws and Jurassic Park. And raiders of the lost ark. E.T. kind of boring and overrated though

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Rough, but fair.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Snyder? I hardly knew 'er!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dunkirk is p. deuce

Paladinus posted:

Snyder? I hardly knew 'er!

lol

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

bloom posted:

That Thor/Guardians 3 trailer actually makes it seem like a fun movie. Being such an obvious copy of the GotG style is a bit distasteful but I'll overlook that if it's actually entertaining.

I think they're both finally using Kirby as a strong influence in Marvel movies for once, and his gonzo poo poo is what made early Marvel so psychedelic and cinematic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Archaic posted:

Blame George for loving that one up.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Cate Blanchett looks so fuckin cool in this

I hope she's given appropriate screentime

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It does look a bit bloated though

You got the goddess of death invading, Asgard being destroyed, Hulk and Thor captured by Jeff Goldblum and fighting on some alien planet, building a new team to fight something AND apparently Surtur, the big bad lava monster guy

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I love The Fifth Element but Valerian made me want to claw my loving eyes out.

Thanks for reading.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With Dunkirk being pretty legit I'm wondering how long it will be before we get a "world wars cinematic universe" with ww1 prequels and all the cool history happening over in Russia.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just watched the Inhumans trailer again, and everything else looks great in comparison now.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Unionize today!

Arcsquad12 posted:

With Dunkirk being pretty legit I'm wondering how long it will be before we get a "world wars cinematic universe" with ww1 prequels and all the cool history happening over in Russia.

Delete this post so execs don't see it please. This is so stupid it might actually happen, if you don't count every WWII film based on true events.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

looking forward to the Stalin: Man of Steel superhero movie

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FrensaGeran posted:

I love The Fifth Element but Valerian made me want to claw my loving eyes out.

Thanks for reading.

I enjoyed it but drat did it have problems. Could have been way better. The world it depicted was pretty cool though and the basic story wasnt that bad or anything. Clive Owen was alright. Main leads werent great though and way too much cliche dialogue between the two of them.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Arcsquad12 posted:

Waiting for the Call of Duty Cinematic Universe.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A Handed Missus posted:

looking forward to the Stalin: Man of Steel superhero movie

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Blue Star posted:

Havent seen the trailer for Ready Player One and never read the book, but it sounds terrible.

It's loving awful pandering "hey remember the 80s?!?!" white nerd teenage boy power fantasy trash, but I won't judge the movie on it because the bones for something decent could be there with the right screenwriter and director. You'd have to change a lot of the tone and provide some reason for why a lot of poo poo happens but that's adapting a movie for you. If we can get Starship Troppers the amazing satirical movie from Starship Troopers the weird pro-fascist screed, anything's possible.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

IRQ posted:

It's loving awful pandering "hey remember the 80s?!?!" white nerd teenage boy power fantasy trash, but I won't judge the movie on it because the bones for something decent could be there with the right screenwriter and director. You'd have to change a lot of the tone and provide some reason for why a lot of poo poo happens but that's adapting a movie for you. If we can get Starship Troppers the amazing satirical movie from Starship Troopers the weird pro-fascist screed, anything's possible.

I would say this would not be the same thing. Starship Troopers is weird and fascist, but atleast it is kind of a good book.

Also you say whie nerd teenage boy power fantasy, but the guy who wrote it was like mid-30s when he wrote it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
ready player one more like ready number two

• Locked thread