Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This is why cheap slipons are stupid. Just put the stock muffler back on and quit worrying about your image.

But if you're set on having a loud gutless bike, Delkevic sells pretty much any muffler gasket dimension you could want, and they ship quickly and are affordable. They have a store on ebay.

Yeah I really just wanted get away from the giant chrome stovepipe Honda put on an otherwise lean and elegant machine - entirely for my own aesthetic appreciation of the bike. I don't care about image per se, actually don't like the attention the loudass pipe draws.

I will check out Delkevic, though, thanks for the suggest. If a baffle doesn't tone it down to nice levels and smooth out the power band I'll begrudgingly switch back to OEM and try and pawn the growler somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I don't like shorty exhausts like that. The best cans are massive cans.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

dumb. posted:

Yeah I really just wanted get away from the giant chrome stovepipe Honda put on an otherwise lean and elegant machine - entirely for my own aesthetic appreciation of the bike. I don't care about image per se, actually don't like the attention the loudass pipe draws.

I will check out Delkevic, though, thanks for the suggest. If a baffle doesn't tone it down to nice levels and smooth out the power band I'll begrudgingly switch back to OEM and try and pawn the growler somewhere.

Here's their current listing. I just measured my old ones and found a set with similar enough dimensions. The really important ones are ID and OD. A little too short is probably fine but too long may be problematic I guess.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I don't like shorty exhausts like that. The best cans are massive cans.

But enough about Mrs. Moses Lester.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Finally found some original documentation to study on the Ner-a-car I'll hopefully be riding in the Motorcycle Cannonball next year.
http://www.butchwax.com/wp-content/uploads/neracar/neracar-us-parts-list.pdf
Amazing how hard it is to find info on this thing. Some Dutch guy on eBay wants $80 for an owner's manual but I dunno how I feel about the Dutch.

Is the Ner-a-car the one with the freaky proto-CVT made of leather?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

dumb. posted:

I installed the Hotbodies MGP Growler (aka the cheapest slip-on I could find) on my CB300F.

Pros:
- it looks much, much nicer than the giant chrome tube that comes stock with the bike
- it gives my little thumper a nice beefy sound at lower rpms

Cons:
- it's loving LOUD at higher rpms
- there's significant torque loss at the low end, more than I expected
- IT'S. SO. loving. LOUD. Like, hearing damage loud.

I'm trying to track down a baffle for it, which supposedly remedies both my cons, but they're sold out everywhere. :argh:

Also I crushed the poo poo out of the pipe gasket while installing so I'll have to replace that soon.

The issue is that the cats are in the stock exhaust, so if you install a slip-on, you basically have a straight pipe. Take it from me, a baffle won't do much (I had a similar experience with my cbr250). Wear earplugs, and if the lost torque bothers you, get a power commander FC.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Barnsy posted:

Wear earplugs,

That doesn't do anything for the rest of us though.

And un-muffled 300s sound like rear end, too. It's not even a powerful loud, it's a "lookit this tryhard boy racer" loud.

Not that I necessarily think that about you, dumb., but there's a bunch of dudes in my town with Ninja 300s and CBR300s who have either outright removed the muffler or put basically an open pipe on there. It just sounds bad, and as you noted, costs power, which anybody knowledgeable about bikes will know when you blapp past them on the street.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/UC3WlK0849s

I fit a cup holder, sort of. Took a break at work to go over a checklist of things to look through before I ride it to Arizona at the end of August.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is the Ner-a-car the one with the freaky proto-CVT made of leather?
Yes, sort of a manual CVT. From what I've read online, nobody knows exactly what they used on the originals, but people are replacing them with leather or compressed cardboard. Not sure why they wouldn't just use modern clutch/brake pad material.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Finally got the dang Ninja 250 running. Ended up selling the tank I hosed up (messed up an application of Red Kote) and finding a perfect replacement on eBay. I think the net cost of replacement was $100 so not bad at all.

Used a cheap ultrasonic cleaner and aviation grade simple green (diluted, of course) to give the carbs their final cleaning before reassembly. Took a while due to this cheap model unit not being able to work for more than 8 minutes at a time, but it came out great. Re-assembled and rode the bike for the first time since I bought it a few months back. It takes a while to "fall back to idle". After some googling, I think I need to back out my air/fuel mixture screws by a bit. I'll try that and report back. Transmission actually feels really good and the brakes work, so that's nice. I need a handlebar now. Right one is a little bent and is showing some rust, so I don't want to ride it like that for too long.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yes, sort of a manual CVT. From what I've read online, nobody knows exactly what they used on the originals, but people are replacing them with leather or compressed cardboard. Not sure why they wouldn't just use modern clutch/brake pad material.

Those things look wild as hell. I'm kinda surprised there aren't a bunch of pictures of those rebuilt with Art Deco fairings and fenders on the internets.

Where does the cannonball route go? I want to catch it sometime with a good camera on hand.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
They change the route every time, they run the race every 2 years. 2018 will be Portland ME to Portland OR. The exact route is secret I think, they give it out on rally sheets to the riders like a day before it starts. Last one they did, which I spectated for a few days, was Atlantic City to Carlsbad CA. Last time they were running strict 100 year rules so there were no bikes newer than 1916 but 2018 they'll have classes for bikes up into the 20s or maybe 30s I think. That's where my ride fits in, 1923.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

XYLOPAGUS posted:

It takes a while to "fall back to idle". After some googling, I think I need to back out my air/fuel mixture screws by a bit. I'll try that and report back.
This is almost certainly what it is. Conversely, if it drops too low when coming off the throttle then bounces back they need turned in a bit. I did the "lean it out until it starts to miss at idle then back it off 1/2 turn" method and it worked just fine. drat thing never really did start properly when cold, though.

When I adjusted mine I stuck a Phillips bit into a 6mm socket and shimmed it with electrician's tape to hold it in. Easy idle adjustment tool.

(After typing this, I realized my entire post was unsolicited. Sorry.)

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Fifty Three posted:

This is almost certainly what it is. Conversely, if it drops too low when coming off the throttle then bounces back they need turned in a bit. I did the "lean it out until it starts to miss at idle then back it off 1/2 turn" method and it worked just fine. drat thing never really did start properly when cold, though.

When I adjusted mine I stuck a Phillips bit into a 6mm socket and shimmed it with electrician's tape to hold it in. Easy idle adjustment tool.

(After typing this, I realized my entire post was unsolicited. Sorry.)

Thanks anyway! I was actually looking for someone to say I'm an idiot or that might work. First time getting a non running carbed bike up and running so I'm in virgin territory.

I'm gonna build a manometer to sync the carbs (already added tees and nipples to the vacuum lines!) and then try pulling out the air fuel screw a bit. Stoked about riding the piss out of this heap.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Back in one piece. I also received a few parts for it in the mail today but that'll be a more long-term project.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Oh hell, since I didn't work today I had time to knock out some wheel bearings and take apart a rear cush assembly. Spoked supermoto wheels: $1200ish. GS500 wheels: $60, shipped. Hoping I don't spend the difference in personal injury and frustration.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh nice. Can you put up an effort post when you do this? I'd like to do a sumo setup for my DR350 and I think a lot of stuff is similar. I know the GS500 wheelset is the go-to for DR350s, at least.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Please document the hell out of that. White GS500 wheels on my DR650 is a red letter goal for me. Love that DRZ, too!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Rode it hard, put it away wet....

With blood, tears, and piss.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Revvik posted:

Oh hell, since I didn't work today I had time to knock out some wheel bearings and take apart a rear cush assembly. Spoked supermoto wheels: $1200ish. GS500 wheels: $60, shipped. Hoping I don't spend the difference in personal injury and frustration.

I'd also like to how how you'll tackle this, info on the internet seems to be sparse / outdated.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Found out the "gas tank" is just an outside cover on the Duke 390. Lots of space in there. Put a clamp on mount for my phone on the handle bars, then routed a USB cable from the battery tender adapter to the handle bars under the gas tank cover. (Yes I made sure there was enough slack to go lock to lock.) I'm already disliking the mount I chose. Is there a "go to" from the hive mind?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I tried an off-brand Chinese x-grip from Amazon that had a built-in USB port, but ended up switching to one of these because I could mount it directly to a bracket w/o needing the ball mount behind it.

Both hold the phone just fine, but I used one of the rubber tethers with the x-grip just to make sure.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Please document the hell out of that. White GS500 wheels on my DR650 is a red letter goal for me. Love that DRZ, too!

Oh, I plan on posting frequently here when I get more involved with the swap. I have a parts list started on BikeBandit, and I still need to grab a few tools.

I'll be following this video series for a guideline:
https://youtu.be/A6P9apKRFls
Once I have everything together, then it's a matter of tearing it back apart, getting the wheels tarted up in some sparkly colors, and swapping white plastics onto the DRZ.

Also probably lots of anti anxiety meds.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I lost some screws and flanges that hold my windscreen on. The OEM replacements from BMW were 15 bux for two screws and two flanges. Fastenal sells an equivalent screw for 50 cents each and I'm going to print the flanges because they're a super low impact part and they really don't need to be loving milled aluminum, jesus christ BMW.

I also painted my windscreen -

Although the yellow is to green and I did a poo poo job applying the spray so it's got bubbles, so I'm going to redo it.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Chichevache posted:

Rode it hard, put it away wet....

With blood, tears, and piss.

Don't leave us hanging.

I took mine out for a little fun while taking care of a good friend's things while he's away. Good ride.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

PathAsc posted:

Don't leave us hanging.

I took mine out for a little fun while taking care of a good friend's things while he's away. Good ride.

It's in the crash thread, bro!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Chichevache posted:

It's in the crash thread, bro!

I forgot!

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Changed my oil, clean/lube chain. Some of the Schroeder Master Wiring© in my little electronics shelf is messing up and cutting off the voltmeter when I turn to the left. Hopefully easy to diagnose when I feel like it. Still need to diagnose my charging system and order a new stator if I need one (probably).

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I took off the dang stock mirrors and put bar end mirrors on!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
It was too drat hot to work in the garage, so I moved the bike into the living room and swapped on a "tail-tidy" from R&G.

Before:

After:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Tried to bleed that stupid rear end brake bubble again, no dice, gettin A N G E R Y

e: time to reverse bleed everywhere 😡

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Bought and installed some new tires on the pre gen 250. Almost dropped the bike when pulling the front wheel. That would have sucked. Apparently, the shop I use for mounting tires actually stocks Sport Demons for a decent price.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoSAprKVoQg

Still alpha version. Need to fix things like the gamma curve of the LEDs, calibrate the temperature sensors, change the industrial design of the faceplate in a couple of ways, work on the UX, fix some bugs with the odometer storage -- basically a lot of little software things here and there.

But it fuckin' works :woop: :wooper: :woop:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 23, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The theme from Knight Rider started playing in my head watching that - kick rear end

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:popeye::popeye::popeye:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

The theme from Knight Rider started playing in my head watching that - kick rear end

Oh, when I get the software really dialed in (I want a better startup sequence, and I'm going to synchronize that moving grid with the road speed) you can bet I'm going to make a video with the proper music

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo, Sagebrush. That's awesome. I love how you are bringing this project to fruition, and want at least one.

I made a harness to connect my 690 to tune ECU:

And removed the baffle/installed open airbox (and found a PO had installed a UniFilter!!!)

All of my stalling/flameout issues, as well as the terrible throttle inputs, are now fixed. Throttle is smoother than a carb thanks to 1to1 input settings.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

Holy poo poo, Sagebrush. That's awesome. I love how you are bringing this project to fruition, and want at least one.

I made a harness to connect my 690 to tune ECU:

And removed the baffle/installed open airbox (and found a PO had installed a UniFilter!!!)

All of my stalling/flameout issues, as well as the terrible throttle inputs, are now fixed. Throttle is smoother than a carb thanks to 1to1 input settings.

Isn't it freaking loud without a baffle? My 701 with no cat but with DB killer is Just Right.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah it's loud and I hate it. Rode it up to the twisties yesterday and happily swapped for my buddy's Z1000 to chill all day on. The 690 broke his brain and he was like a kid at christmas, though. I'm going to put the large baffle in today. Going from 48mm outlet down to 30mm, though, and I worry about loss of power. Right now I'm considering getting a stock Busa or GSXR muffler (40mm outlet) and fabbing it up. I really love the one I have on my DR650.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoSAprKVoQg

Still alpha version. Need to fix things like the gamma curve of the LEDs, calibrate the temperature sensors, change the industrial design of the faceplate in a couple of ways, work on the UX, fix some bugs with the odometer storage -- basically a lot of little software things here and there.

But it fuckin' works :woop: :wooper: :woop:

Holy poo poo that is awesome!!