Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tunicate posted:

That girl seems to be in a subtly different style than everyone else, it's sorta weirding me out.

If that were a denim skirt it would be older Phoebe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

someone awful. posted:

Mole-Man lost a lot of weight between then and now
Ruling the underworld burns a lot of calories.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 23, 1995)

Comics are a little edgy today!

Y'all - goldmine. Found the Library of Congress' scanned newspapers. All are very old, but I did locate Condo's Mr. Skygack, From Mars from 1907 - a strip he did concurrently with Everett True, and recognized as the first sci-fi comic strip. Interest in this? oh hell, :justpost:

If anyone has pre-1922 comic strips you really really want to see - let me know. I also found Fritzi Ritz from the very first strip, so maybe it's time for a re-visit of that.

Mr. Skygack, From Mars (The Seattle Star, October, 1907)

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend Midsummer Day Dreams (click for huge)

And He Did. (November, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (February, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (November, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (October, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (October, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (March, 1941)

Archie (March, 1956, click for big)

Feiffer (1974, click for big)

Andy Capp (December, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (January, 1972, click for big)

Dick Tracy (October, 2001, click for big)

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Shoe

The Lockhorns

Bound and Gagged

Brewster Rockit Space Guy!

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Gose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Fleep

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

gently caress you Brooke. EIther he's Gay or he's Bisexual, although leans towards men. You can't have him be gay but gently caress women whenever the mood suits him. It's like he heard somewhere that two straight guys can gently caress once and it doesn't mean they're gay now, and that's true and all, but this is reading like some incredibly hosed up "You can gently caress the gay away by just boning enough of the other sex!" It's not even "Well, he was gay, but he's not anymore" which is also a thing that happens. People's sexual identities change over time and that's completely normal. But this isn't that! This is just so hosed up! No to mention the fact that Edda is supposedly in a committed exclusive relationship with Amos (or are they married?) with an incredibly-hosed-up-but-active-and-I'm-not-one-to-judge sex life. Is he OK with this? Is he into cuckolding? Since Amos has always been Brooke's Mary Stu in this, maybe this is his way of addressing that, where the meek guy watches an Adonis bang his wife/girlfriend?

Argh.

Why am I even thinking about this?

It's just very insulting is all.
I would in no way be surprised to learn the Master has a cuckolding fetish.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

http://gunshowcomic.com/471

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (May 22-24, 1930)

Peanuts (July 23-25, 1970)

Sally Forth

At Least This Badly-Rendered Convention Stuff Is Over For Another Yearbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, Starring THE COLD-BLOODED KILLER OLIVE OYL (February 7, 9-10, 1931)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Olive Oyl is stone cold

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

The kaiju stuff in Sally Forth isn't as detailed as the stuff in Flash Gordon, but you can tell Keefe really loves drawing monsters. :3:

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Why not both?

Aardmania fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 23, 2017

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Tunicate posted:

Okay, piranha club is garbage to begin with, but how hard is it to know what a 'funny word' sounds like?

"First time I heard a manatee scream" would improve this from a D to a C.

I think they're reading this thread.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Thimble Theater is definitely the best comic in this thread.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They had really lovely ammo in those days if a shot in the shoulder from that cannon is just a minor wound.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Aardmania posted:

It might seem that way because of how slowly things move in this strip, but It's actually older than that. Would you believe that it happened back in 2010?

Jesus Christ, you're right. I've been reading these threads since one of the first FOOB threads. My, how time flies.

Mikl posted:

You know, I really like Blackjack :)

:agreed:

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"Oh man I'm way behind schedule. gently caress it, I'll just draw their eyes these last two panels." - Terry Beatty, approximately 2 weeks ago.

They're pretty well drawn eyes and if he draws anything like me that probably took twice as long as a normal strip to get a close up of eyes looking good. Then again he's a professional artist so by default he already doesn't draw anything like me since I can't draw for poo poo.

Stone. loving. Cold.

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

The pacing in this comic has gotten beyond atrocious. It's getting into Locher's worst Tracy era territory. This particular strip is just stupid. Literally nothing of any note is happening, and even though I've been reading this every day, I have no idea what the gently caress he's talking about here, or to who, or why a full panel is wasted for 3 words and a pastoral scene.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Why not both?

:lol: at that edit, it is the first edit in a while that has made me loudly guffaw.

Seriously though if Ghulk doesn't just go in there, slap her upside the head, and tell her to quit trying to gently caress him because it makes him seriously uncomfortable, I'm going to find Brooke and slap him upside the head and tell him his comics make me seriously uncomfortable.

And, I can't even remember how many days behind I am right now, but we'll say that 2 comics will catch me up I guess?

Moomin on the Riviera page 20

Page 21

Oh, right, only one page left. Let's finish it.

Page 22

And that brings us to the close of this story. Is there still interest in more Moomin comics? I didn't see a lot of feedback, but I guess we usually only see feedback on the lovely comics and I will literally fight anyone who says that Moomin is lovely. I'm happy to keep posting it! I have Moomin and the Sea ready right now, and I have something like 10 books and will be happy to scan (well, photograph because it's a book and the only scanner I have is a document scanner) any/all the comics til I finish them or die trying! Also, I've been doing 1 page a day to make them last a bit longer, but 2 pages would be fine too. Preference?

ssb fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 23, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm pretty sure this Moomin story has been posted before, so that's probably why. You may want to figure out who was posting them previously and see what they already did?

The world could always use more Moomin stuff, though.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

shortspecialbus posted:

Is there still interest in more Moomin comics?

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes, gently caress yes and also yes.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm pretty sure this Moomin story has been posted before, so that's probably why. You may want to figure out who was posting them previously and see what they already did?

I would say that all the stories of the first 3 books have been posted, but that's also years ago at this point.
Outside of that there's been the occasional other story posted, like moomin goes wlld west.

I was posting + scanning the stories in like, 2012?2013? until I ran out of books.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Slammy posted:

Archie (March, 1956, click for big)

:3:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes more Moomin, even if that story has been posted before.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 25, 1995)

Garfield Classic (September 24-25, 1985)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Rand Brittain posted:

Fair enough! I figured it had been a few years at least, but I suppose you've all been in the thread at least as long as I have if not longer. Let me maybe try to find a story that I don't remember being in the thread, and I'll :justpost:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Zippy

Ripley's

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2001 Spiderman

The Amazing Mole Man

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

shortspecialbus posted:

Fair enough! I figured it had been a few years at least, but I suppose you've all been in the thread at least as long as I have if not longer. Let me maybe try to find a story that I don't remember being in the thread, and I'll :justpost:
I enjoy Moomin and I don't care if they've been posted before. If you find a new one for the thread it will likely get more comments, but I appreciate you posting them, whether old or new!

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns

This is not what I expect from The Lockhorns.

F Minus

:lol:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Jungle Jim

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 23, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Mary Worth's random bolding is really getting out of hand lately.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BC

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Baldo

Big Nate

A SUNDAY Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Baby Blues

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Reply All

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Reminder that this Moomin story got animated a few years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ie8lqrOe_4

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I mean I love blackjack and all but shouldn't he be in cuffs at the moment

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tracy wants him to run so he can shoot him in the back.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set works the system.

Working Daze <current nerd thing>.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is a mistake anyone could have made.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

goatface posted:

Tracy wants him to run so he can shoot him in the back.

#BlackJackLivesMatter

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Haifisch posted:

Mary Worth's random bolding is really getting out of hand lately.

Ken Penders' Mary Worth

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Haifisch posted:

The kaiju stuff in Sally Forth isn't as detailed as the stuff in Flash Gordon, but you can tell Keefe really loves drawing monsters. :3:

As far as I'm concerned, if Ces felt like flaying the license around, he could do the strip for the rest of the year with kaiju characters replacing the regular ones. I want Baltan to be Sally's boss. :v:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

SubNat posted:

I would say that all the stories of the first 3 books have been posted, but that's also years ago at this point.
Outside of that there's been the occasional other story posted, like moomin goes wlld west.

I was posting + scanning the stories in like, 2012?2013? until I ran out of books.

AV + title + post trifecta.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (July 26, 1970)

Sally Forth

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets/Wash Tubbs On Sunday (with a bonus strip of vintage ads this time) (August 26 and September 2, 1928)

• Locked thread