Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

The Electronaut posted:

Any goon have a recruit a friend code that I can use before I subscribe?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

After having made it to final phase in O3S after a few hours of progression, I'm convinced that all the people saying it's the return of A3S never actually did Gordias Savage because Pepsiman was a fight where you were struggling against extremely tight dps checks and more importantly, really finicky netcode when it came to passing marks and tethers, where all the mechanics in O3S are very responsive and extremely satisfying to master.

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.
I liked A3S

Will I like OS3 (going in tomorrow)

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Thank you kind goon.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

I liked A3S

It's extremely FTW.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

I liked A3S

I'd say it feels similar to the bits that made A3S good without any of the bits that made it bad.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

But pushing 1 button to do everything is both very fun and interesting?

Let's just add a Omega 5-8 Savage skip potion to the Mogstation for next tier so it gives you the weapon token, mount, gear and achis without playing the game. Doing the fights themselves is too complex.

(imo)

Just because someone took your good av doesn't mean you have to have bad opinions.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Also Aether datacenter/omega goons our raid group still needs a SCH or AST! We raid for around 2 hours on Mondays and Thursdays starting at 18 UTC / 19 BST / 20 CEST / 21 EEST. PM me here or post in the 4 static fiesta thread on catgirl bargains.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Someone finally beat the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0X3Zt-9_dE

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Lavender Beds!?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I've been clearing out a lot of sidequests this weekend and I notice that basically every Stormblood zone's long questchain is structured the same: the Warrior of Light helps a sad sack (re)discover their purpose in life. The sad sack blindly struggles against obvious reality, hits rock bottom, discovers an unknown talent // novel usage for prior talents, then becomes accepted by their village or clan.

So far the best iteration on this is the fisherman in Ruby Sea IMO.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Many, but not all, of the game's existing combos could be collapsed to one button PvP style with nothing of value lost.

You could SORT of do it for the monk but it'd mean collapsing 9 buttons to 6 or something like that.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Elentor posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue, what I was trying to explain is that I'd rather have less actions that are clearly defined as 1>2>3 so that deciding the next action would be more interesting, so the opposite of mashing a single button to do everything. I feel there's not a lot of difference in having a single button for the current combo actions because as you put it yourself, you can hit your ability queue with plenty of time to spare, so they're not that different from hitting just one button in your decision tree.

It's weird that you're turning this into a hyperbole of me wanting the game to be easier.

Some of the people in this thread have really weird hang-ups about condensing buttons like this, despite the only thing it changes being freeing up hotbar space. I for one would appreciate it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Redmage, which is acceptable.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Elentor posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue, what I was trying to explain is that I'd rather have less actions that are clearly defined as 1>2>3 so that deciding the next action would be more interesting, so the opposite of mashing a single button to do everything. I feel there's not a lot of difference in having a single button for the current combo actions because as you put it yourself, you can hit your ability queue with plenty of time to spare, so they're not that different from hitting just one button in your decision tree.

It's weird that you're turning this into a hyperbole of me wanting the game to be easier.

The concept you're getting at is depth vs complexity. Combo pieces (with some exceptions) tend to reduce the number of meaningful choices a player has to make while only opening them up for messing up and screwing your dps. An exception to this would be monk combos, where you have to choose between multiple combo pieces every time you run through your 1-2-3, and that adds player choice to every GCD. Impulse drive, on the other hand, does nothing but take up a button slot. There is no meaningful difference between it and your other combo starter except a touch of potency, and once you've hit impulse drive you've made the decision for what you will hit for the next 3-4 GCDs. OGCDs still exist, but for dragoon most of them boil down to "hit them for the first time in the correct order, then hit them when they come off cooldown for the rest of the fight" which isn't really very deep.

EC did a pretty good video explaining the depth vs complexity concept:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVL4st0blGU

and while the pvp flipping combos don't necessarily fix the rotation being shallow problem at the root of this, it does reduce button bloat. Even if all it accomplishes is making keybinds easier to set up, it'd still be better than what we have.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
We need more abilities on jobs that give you rewards for doing what you're already doing and fewer abilities that just tack additional steps onto the core mechanics to prevent your rotation from falling apart.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
How soon does heavensward throw you decent gear? I think I've settled on playing through as mch and im approaching 50, I could get the ironworks stuff, but I'd rather save my poetics if better stuff is round the corner.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

you can just buy some good gear in ishgard

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Thyrork posted:

Where's the Elezen Waluigi?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

oh yeah I killed o4s too earlier today

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i just asked this on discord too but on c.b is there a way to change a club from Open to Private? I don't see that anywhere in Club Settings, which is kinda weird

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The ending to the Mauci quest chain in Azim Steppe is such a massive gently caress you :lol:

edit: The epilogue is pretty nice :shobon:

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 23, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
After a while I felt bad about how frequently I was enabling people in their bad decisions, only to have random narrator favoritism cause their bad decisions to be actually correct.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Gearhead posted:

We need more abilities on jobs that give you rewards for doing what you're already doing and fewer abilities that just tack additional steps onto the core mechanics to prevent your rotation from falling apart.

Samurai is a really good example of this. All of the things you want to manage and balance just come naturally from doing your 3 basic combos and everything flows outward from there. The job has a lot of buttons but they don't feel like unnecessary bloat in the way other classes feel. Red Mage is good about this too although there's still that question of why Impact is a separate button when it could just replace Jolt II when you have a proc.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

Xun posted:

Also Aether datacenter/omega goons our raid group still needs a SCH or AST! We raid for around 2 hours on Mondays and Thursdays starting at 18 UTC / 19 BST / 20 CEST / 21 EEST. PM me here or post in the 4 static fiesta thread on catgirl bargains.

I am super tempted but I have massive commitment issues. Raiding is exhausting.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Thyrork posted:

What's the body piece? Same model as Dodore Doublet, but it dyes differently. Maybe a 1.0 antique crafted piece?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

noob question cause i just started playing again after not touching the game since ARR came out

now that role actions have replaced cross class skills, does this mean there is zero benefit to leveling up alts unless i actually want to play those classes?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cams posted:

noob question cause i just started playing again after not touching the game since ARR came out

now that role actions have replaced cross class skills, does this mean there is zero benefit to leveling up alts unless i actually want to play those classes?

With the sole exception of Scholar/Summoner since they share EXP bars, yes.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Mango Polo posted:

He's saying talk to the NPCs that are around the actual quest NPCs, before you proceed, because they tend to have interesting and/or funny dialogue bits that are easily missed.
Speaking of, there can be some dialogue changes in surprising places.

(This one appears to come up after you do a side-quest in the Azim Steppe where an Adarkim warrior tells you that his older brother was forced into hiding after eight attempts on his life as a potential future khan.)

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

With the sole exception of Scholar/Summoner since they share EXP bars, yes.

i know scholar and summoner come from the same base class, but do they share xp bars after you unlock each individual job too?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cams posted:

i know scholar and summoner come from the same base class, but do they share xp bars after you unlock each individual job too?

Correct.

Basically technically every job shares an experience bar. All Bard EXP is Archer EXP, all White Mage EXP is Conjurer EXP. Summoner/Scholar both feed off Arcanist EXP so they level up at the exact same rate.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

cams posted:

Yup, since they both come from Arcanist they share the same level. Just like if you have a Level 70 Monk and take off your job stone you'll be a Level 70 Pugilist.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I saw a post about tanks and about which is better in terms of AoE, offensive and defensive abilities. Obviously, because this post came from reddit, it descended into a poo poo throwing match where everyone is wrong in some shape or form.

So I forward the question to you goons, what tanks are doing the best right in terms of

Offense (DPS)
Defensive (Survivability)
AoE (4-mans, taking care of trash pulls)
Raid Utility (What are best in the current raids as of now?)

Personally, I enjoy WAR the most so I wouldn't care if they were the worst or the best but I definitely think it's a interesting topic to discuss.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Paladin, Paladin, Paladin and Paladin, in that order

but not by that much!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

In what world is Paladin AoE better than Warrior or Dark Knight?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The big issue right now for tanks is that the parameters are all quite close, except for utility/survivability which are overwhelmingly Paladin. I think DRK is technically dealing the most damage but it's not that much more than anyone else whereas Paladin brings an enormous amount of utility.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Finished out 3.0 with help from some goons last night! I had to stay up until, like, 4:00 AM by the time all of the post-fight cutscenes were done, but it was worth it. Man, Thordan was never tough, but he really goes splat when everyone's running around in i260+ gear. It's rather satisfying. :unsmigghh:

The quickest/least monotonous way to level healers is to do available roulettes and then the highest-level dungeon, correct? I've been poking away at AST on the side, and now that I have RDM and NIN up to level I'd like to get that up to speed.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

The quickest/least monotonous way to level healers is to do available roulettes and then the highest-level dungeon, correct? I've been poking away at AST on the side, and now that I have RDM and NIN up to level I'd like to get that up to speed.

Yeah, this is the usual method for both healers and tanks since they get super fast if not instant queues to things. The only limit is your sanity in repeating dungeons forever.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

If you are close to level up when you first log in for the day, maybe run an at level dungeon to put you over and *then* do roulettes, but otherwise yeah. Healer/tank privilege means never having to run FATEs or PotD unless you actually want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

TheRagamuffin posted:

As a newbie tank, I'm finding the biggest thing that trips me up is knowing what mobs In about to lose threat lead on. I kinda wish there were separate aggro icons for "you have a decent threat lead" versus "you have a tenuous threat lead". How do better tanks keep track of this? Do I just need to get used to reading the A/2/3/4/etc markers at a glance? Is there any way that doesn't involve just cycling through every mob?

e: Should I just not even care about this level of micromanagement, and just Overpower again, when in doubt?

This annoys me too. For bosses you can just look at the threatmeters in the party window, but no easy way to keep track of if on multiple mobs.

I wish the enemy list could be set in 'tank mode' , where red = you don't have aggro, and orange, yellow and green are increasing amounts of enmity lead.