Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

AlternateAccount posted:

For the love of pete, blur your filenames so we can at least maintain the cognitive dissonance required to fill in LINUX DISTROS in our own minds.

lol I'm paying £16p/m for Adobe CC master collection on a six figure salary by slipping a few beers to a friend with an educational email. The new piracy is not being a dinosaur.

The gently caress do I want with ancient pirated software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Here ya go, no beer slipping necessary:

http://creative.adobe.com/join/offer/nonprofit

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
So I got a notification my 50GB iCloud storage is filling up. A while back I put every (old) photo I had in Photos because it was an easy way to back up everything, but I find having a massive library of old stuff on my phone to be cumbersome. With the entire iCloud account being filled up with this old stuff, I exported everything to a OneDrive folder, because I have a terabyte of free cloud storage there.

Having a giant 15GB folder of JPG's is another annoyance. Is there a way for me to see those use Photos with selective syncing? So I can put my entire library in Photos on the Mac, but only using iCloud to sync everything I want (instead of everything)?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Large photo collection. Mostly raws. Might be 1T of data within a year but less than 1T now.

iCloud Drive?
Google drive?
Lightroom/CC sync comedy option?

I figure I'd ask a few places including here.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
iCloud Drive is fairly reasonable now, and they're just going to keep lowering prices and increasing storage.

2TB for $9.99/mo is pretty fair, especially for the kind of iOS/macOS integration you get with it

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pzy posted:

iCloud Drive is fairly reasonable now, and they're just going to keep lowering prices and increasing storage.

2TB for $9.99/mo is pretty fair, especially for the kind of iOS/macOS integration you get with it

The only better deal I've seen is with OneDrive. You 1TB with a $99 Office 365 subscription (which you can get for cheaper if you buy a code off of Amazon).

The one I no longer recommend is DropBox after it was revealed that when Project Infinite finally drops it will require kernel level access to your system.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

baram. posted:

lifehack: use a client you don't have to delve into arcane settings screens to get working the way you want.

^^^^^this

it's why you got a mac in the first place, no?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'll jump in on what is apparently "ask a question about Photos" page.

I hosed up while importing pictures from my DSLR today and they hit Photos without being geotagged. Yet Photos knew where they were all taken anyway.

I am not super worried about this since the plan was to geotag them anyway, but I'm curious as to how Photos figured it out. Did it just guess that since I took photos with my phone the same day that I must be in similar locations? Is it like just comparing the time I took the photos to where it knew I was via my phone? Or did the geotagging app I sync data over even though I haven't technically tagged these photos?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
nm

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Rick posted:

I'll jump in on what is apparently "ask a question about Photos" page.

I hosed up while importing pictures from my DSLR today and they hit Photos without being geotagged. Yet Photos knew where they were all taken anyway.

I am not super worried about this since the plan was to geotag them anyway, but I'm curious as to how Photos figured it out. Did it just guess that since I took photos with my phone the same day that I must be in similar locations? Is it like just comparing the time I took the photos to where it knew I was via my phone? Or did the geotagging app I sync data over even though I haven't technically tagged these photos?

Get info on an actual file from your DSLR (select it and hit Command-I) and you will see there's no location information. They also won't appear on the map in the Places view. You are right that if you took photos with your phone on the same day Photos will assume the location from that, but only for the Moments view.

I really want a good DSLR with built-in GPS. Too bad the 6DII so underwhelming.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 23, 2017

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Since I, too, sometimes forget to GPS tag my DSLR photos, I thought I'd whip up a quick AppleScript to copy and paste locations in Photos from my phone pics to the DSLR ones (Photos lacks any way to copy actual coordinates, because of course it does). I built it as an Automator service so it shows in the Services menu and I can assign a key combo to it.

It just flat-out refused to work, even when I whittled it down to absolutely nothing but literally the built-in "get the current selection from Photos." When it finally dawned on me to check Console, wouldn't you know it... SandboxViolation: Photos deny file-read-data.

That's right. A basic built-in Automator action, when explicitly activated as a service from within Photos, is refused access to my photos by the sandbox. (And then just silently aborts.)

gently caress you, Apple.

Edit: Removed embedded screenshots since they're not working and aren't necessary.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 23, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You might want to try some software that works with GPS tracking apps (that generate GPX data) and your photos. They'll sync up timestamps and add a geotag to the photo metadata.

A cursory Googling led me to gps4cam. Not sure how well it works since it hasn't seen an update since 2015. But the Mac and Windows clients are free, and they have a "Lite" version for iOS. The only limitation I see between the Lite and Pro versions is when start a "trip" it will only track for 30 minutes. But I can't think of any reason you couldn't just keep starting a new "trip" as needed if you don't feel like plunking down $3.99. The Android version is full featured, but there's no free version ($2.99)

Now I'm going to have to dig out my old Nikon. I've found Camera+ with the fantastic camera on 7Plus to an excellent carry around camera. But now I have a hankering to dig out all my expensive glass and go on some nature walks.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
What do people use for mp3/music management nowadays? Is there anything currently being updated that's better than iTunes?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think people have just made their peace and moved to Spotify. The big issue is cross-platform support and sync capabilities.

I'd love nothing more than to use something else for podcasts, but I'm on both Windows and macOS.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
gently caress Spotify. iTunes Match + Apple Music forever!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don’t think I even need iTunes Match anymore. I’m not even sure what I would lose but unsubscribing from it now that I have Apple Music which yeah is all I need nowadays. I haven’t managed mp3s in years and it’s pretty great.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm still on iTunes because I like to buy music, but music and podcasts are so loving awful to play, and each update somehow makes iTunes worse.

The Apple Music trial literally deleted my music collection. (Fortunately, I think I managed to retrieve it as it's all in the ~cloud~, which isn't reassuing given Apple's incompetence in this area.)

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
The best part about iTunes Match is it turns all your piracy, past and future, into legal music.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

pzy posted:

The best part about iTunes Match is it turns all your piracy, past and future, into legal music.

Except when your local store suddenly doesn't have certain albums anymore, making it impossible to match or download them again!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chris Knight posted:

Except when your local store suddenly doesn't have certain albums anymore, making it impossible to match or download them again!

Which was the whole proposition behind iTunes a-la-carte purchase-and-store-forever model in the first place!

Which everyone was on board with! For about ten years! And now we've all changed our minds!

Those subscription-based music services that iTunes competed with in the early days and forced out of the market must be so loving pissed right now

eames
May 9, 2009

I went from iTunes to Plex to Spotify.
iTunes is the trainwreck that we all know and love/hate, Plex works ok and I have a lifetime subscription so it's "free". Good for keeping my music collection backed up, not so good on Desktop OSes because it only has a web client. Spotify won out in the end because it makes it so easy to find new music that I like.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Spotify works better than iTunes, even though it's just a web wrapper, and I've never run into a memory leak or crazy resource hog. iTunes just doesn't seem to work by default.

I assume they haven't gone the way of Spotify because they still believe they're giving iTunes some attention.

People tried to make Songbird a thing, but twas not meant to be.

My favourite scenario was SoundCloud making their own client, but as we all know, we live in the darkest timeline where iTunes still exists as-is, getting worse with every week.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is it just larger libraries that iTunes sucks with? I've got a 100gb library and iTunes has served me very well for over a decade. I have everything in iTunes Match and it works great for me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ufarn posted:

Spotify works better than iTunes, even though it's just a web wrapper, and I've never run into a memory leak or crazy resource hog. iTunes just doesn't seem to work by default.

There was that issue a few months ago where the Spotify desktop client was writing and overwriting hundreds of gigabytes' worth of junk data the entire time it was open. I assume that's been fixed by now though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Weedle posted:

There was that issue a few months ago where the Spotify desktop client was writing and overwriting hundreds of gigabytes' worth of junk data the entire time it was open. I assume that's been fixed by now though.
That's fair, but they hopefully don't just buy more ink for their wontfix rubber stamp like Apple.

I have to close iTunes before every game of Overwatch, because it sometimes does weird things with my CPU.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there any way to get a network drive to stay mapped even if the network connection is dropped?

my iMac does this weird thing where it will drop the connection while asleep. This isnt a huge deal until my Sonarr/Usenet stuff wakes up during the day to grab stuff, and it then grabs stuff and downloads the files but they dont move/rename successfully because the NAS connection was dropped while the machine was offline.

I've tried using Automator to make it mount the disk but had no luck.

I Think what I used to do in the past was use symbolic links to the folders on the NAS which in turn forces it to reconnect to the share?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Laserface posted:

Is there any way to get a network drive to stay mapped even if the network connection is dropped?

my iMac does this weird thing where it will drop the connection while asleep. This isnt a huge deal until my Sonarr/Usenet stuff wakes up during the day to grab stuff, and it then grabs stuff and downloads the files but they dont move/rename successfully because the NAS connection was dropped while the machine was offline.

I've tried using Automator to make it mount the disk but had no luck.

I Think what I used to do in the past was use symbolic links to the folders on the NAS which in turn forces it to reconnect to the share?

Don't let your imac sleep?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Don't let your imac sleep?

it seemingly only has this problem when it is connected to certain types of routers. My previous house I used a different router that was supplied by the ISP and it would maintain the connection while asleep, wake up during the day, download stuff snatched from usenet by various apps, move/rename then go back to sleep.

now, for some reason, when it is asleep and woken up again, regardless of the schedule, the network connection as a whole doesnt work - this includes stuff like trying to view localhost:8080 to access one of the mentioned apps interface, for about 20-30 seconds.

I have wake on LAN and all that poo poo enabled, it just doesnt seem to actually work.

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

What's the best way to permanently delete photos from iCloud on all devices? I just deleted 1,000+ photos on my phone and despite it telling me they'd be deleted from all devices, they're still showing up on photos on my Mac and in iCloud. Does it just take a few hours to sync? How can I force it?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Oh no. You got caught with the strange nudes? FORCE MISSION ABORT :ohdear:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ufarn posted:

I assume they haven't gone the way of Spotify because they still believe they're giving iTunes some attention.

People tried to make Songbird a thing, but twas not meant to be.

My favourite scenario was SoundCloud making their own client, but as we all know, we live in the darkest timeline where iTunes still exists as-is, getting worse with every week.

i agree with this. on windows. the spotify app on windows is your bog standard chromium frame app while itunes for windows is astonishingly, almost unforgivably bad. unresponsive ui, strange controls, occasionally shoots itself in the face and requires a restart to get itself in order again. i would actually ward people off from signing up for apple music if they regularly use a windows machine.

on mac itunes isn't great, but it's fine, and mostly feels pretty native and smooth whereas spotify feels just that bit more incongruous. i wish apple would nick the public shared playlists and ability to follow your friends tho

pzy posted:

gently caress Spotify. iTunes Match + Apple Music forever!

apple music entirely supersedes itunes match's functionality to the point where i'm not even sure they let you sign up for both right?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

i wish apple would nick the public shared playlists and ability to follow your friends tho

Apparently this is coming with iOS 11.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Which was the whole proposition behind iTunes a-la-carte purchase-and-store-forever model in the first place!

Which everyone was on board with! For about ten years! And now we've all changed our minds!

Those subscription-based music services that iTunes competed with in the early days and forced out of the market must be so loving pissed right now

Well for my example specifically, a bunch of my matched & downloaded tracks are corrupt, so I can't re-upload and try to match & download them again because the Canadian iTunes Store doesn't have the albums anymore.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Choadmaster posted:

Get info on an actual file from your DSLR (select it and hit Command-I) and you will see there's no location information. They also won't appear on the map in the Places view. You are right that if you took photos with your phone on the same day Photos will assume the location from that, but only for the Moments view.

I really want a good DSLR with built-in GPS. Too bad the 6DII so underwhelming.

Ah, yeah this is it exactly, thank you.

I definitely want a camera with a built in GPS, but I'm also surprised how well an app that I spent less than $5 on like 7 years ago (Geotagr) manages to do the job still (provided I let it before importing the photos in to Photos).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

apple music entirely supersedes itunes match's functionality to the point where i'm not even sure they let you sign up for both right?

Apple Music has strict DRM, iTunes Match does not.

So you can have both. I believe if you only subscribe to Apple Music, you only get DRM copies of your music on other devices (it doesn't mess with your original library files, though). If you cancel Apple Music, you can't play the DRM'd files anymore.

If you subscribe to iTunes Match, you can get new DRM-free copies of your songs that can be moved between devices forever and ever, even if you cancel Match and/or Apple Music.

If you have both, you still get DRM-free songs matched from tracks you add to iTunes from other sources (YouTube or God help you, CDs). And only songs you add via Apple Music have DRM.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rick posted:

Ah, yeah this is it exactly, thank you.

I definitely want a camera with a built in GPS, but I'm also surprised how well an app that I spent less than $5 on like 7 years ago (Geotagr) manages to do the job still (provided I let it before importing the photos in to Photos).

I think I'm going to have to go down that route, the £30 GPS shoe I bought lasted less than 6 weeks it was such garbage.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Does anyone know how Sierra's current APFS implementation compares to what's coming in High Sierra? I'm considering formatting an external drive as APFS, but when I read about subtle changes in APFS behavior in recent iOS updates I expect that Sierra's implementation isn't fully baked either. Any concerns or endorsements?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Does anyone know how Sierra's current APFS implementation compares to what's coming in High Sierra? I'm considering formatting an external drive as APFS, but when I read about subtle changes in APFS behavior in recent iOS updates I expect that Sierra's implementation isn't fully baked either. Any concerns or endorsements?

Wait until High Sierra isn't in beta and convert the drive from HFS+ to APFS later?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I converted a drive in an earlier beta and now I can't read it in High Sierra (haven't tried the lastest beta yet, just hangs forever when I hook it up) but can read it fine on my normal Sierra MacBook. Its probably good on a new format but I certainly wouldn't store any critical info on it until release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Last Chance posted:

convert the drive from HFS+ to APFS later
I'm actually more concerned with doing a conversion than just rolling with APFS now, as long as it's compatible going forward. None of it is mission critical data, I'm just starting with a new external drive and figured if I'm 2-3 months from using APFS day to day anyway, maybe just format the external APFS now if it'll stay compatible.

spaced ninja posted:

I converted a drive in an earlier beta and now I can't read it in High Sierra (haven't tried the lastest beta yet, just hangs forever when I hook it up) but can read it fine on my normal Sierra MacBook.
That's the sort of stuff I'm afraid of, so I guess I'll keep on trucking with HFS+ for now. Thanks.