Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
oh my god I would be so happy if Trump suspended congressional pay. That's what it would take for GOP congress to turn against him I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

"Why won't anyone support me?!" Whines man who doesn't care about anyone else

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That'd be beautiful.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Casey Finnigan posted:

It's still a felony if they lie, with the same penalty applying. That's why a lot of people in the thread think it's weird they're not gonna be sworn in. It must just look better in their minds.
So what, are you suggesting that people perhaps planned for this going forward so that Jr. and Manassfort can feel comfortable when trying to bullshit their way and then Mueller and 'the boys' come in and state "Thank you for your cooperation, gentlemen!" while they book 'em?

I'm sorry. I enjoyed watching Hawaii 5-0 way too much as a kid. :negative:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Serious question: Assuming this is even possible, how many congresspeople would this actually mean trouble for? Almost all of em are independently wealthy and their congressional pay is comparatively peanuts.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Casey Finnigan posted:

oh my god I would be so happy if Trump suspended congressional pay. That's what it would take for GOP congress to turn against him I'm sure.

Congress pays itself, lol

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
whether he could do it or not it'd be worth it just to see him stomping around directly threatening the livelihood of congressmen. Honestly it's even better that he can't do it

edit: yes I know congressmen don't need the pay from their jobs to live

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Pakled posted:

Serious question: Assuming this is even possible, how many congresspeople would this actually mean trouble for? Almost all of em are independently wealthy and their congressional pay is comparatively peanuts.

Rich old men won't tolerate anyone else telling them they can't have money.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I feel like that would run afoul of the 27th amendment, since it specifies congressional wages cant be increased or decresed until the start of the next congress

quote:

No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

The Glumslinger posted:

I feel like that would run afoul of the 27th amendment, since it specifies congressional wages cant be increased or decresed until the start of the next congress

Also Congressional pay doesn't even run through the Executive branch so how would Trump even do it?

Jacob Wohl: A dumb person.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Does it say "no illegal executive order" nope it says "law" checkmate conlawtards

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

How can we get this on fox and friends

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The last time the US had a (good) foundation-shaking president, the response was to pass a bad amendment putting term limits on the POTUS so nobody like them could every exist again. If the US survives Trump and actually acknowledges how many problems exist, hopefully we'll get some good amendments in response to him being such a loving disaster of a human being.

Goddamn this article is reaching hard to try and make its argument.

Pakled posted:

It's not possible. Trump is not the CEO of America like these people think he is.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

The Glumslinger posted:

Actually it would run afoul of Article 1 of the Constitution which states that

quote:

The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States.

So yeah, great idea.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

If we're going to go nuts with crazy stuff here's a goldbug type conspiracy site that says Trump is going to cancel the USD and institute a new digital currency that would also be a way to trace people

http://moneywise411.com/man-who-predicted-trump-oub7/

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

GamingHyena posted:

Also Congressional pay doesn't even run through the Executive branch so how would Trump even do it?

Jacob Wohl: A dumb person.

He could pass an order cranking the heating up to max until they capitulate.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

If you messed with their benefits at the same time, Congress could learn just how expensive healthcare really is.

But yeah, separation of powers and all.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

If we're going to go nuts with crazy stuff here's a goldbug type conspiracy site that says Trump is going to cancel the USD and institute a new digital currency that would also be a way to trace people

Sweet, I have a pretty good graphics card so I can get on the Trumpcoin mining business on the ground floor.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

farraday posted:

Oh. The optics. Why didn't you say so.

You know, this sentiment was thrown out like crazy during the election, and it still sounds loving stupid as hell. "The awptics!", "It's just optics stop Arzying", etc.

The majority of politics is loving optics. It's showing your voters what you stand for/what the other guys are screwing up, showing how honest and amicable you are.

The Republicans have RWM maintaining a stranglehold on the optics for their base, and as a result a full 1/3 of the country is batshit crazy with their politics because their optics are conservatives winning for American business and stopping the godless queer libs.

Public ceremony with all its pomp and bullshit has always been and will continue to be an integral part of politics. Pretending that Democrats or government institutions looking weak, incompetent, or unwilling to challenge blatant corruption or criminal acts doesn't matter because "it's just optics" is dangerously stupid. That poo poo does matter and it's a big part of why Americans have our current attitudes towards government.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pakled posted:

There are some from flyover states that aren't swimming in it. Like your random tea party rear end in a top hat who owns a couple quiznos in south dakota is probably over leveraged as hell.

But they'd just fire a bunch of staff most likely.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
One of the strangest things I've seen in the last little while is the slow reveal of how entangled the Green Party may be with this whole thing. It's just loving weird. If there's one thing you could say about Ralph Nader (I mean one good thing) is that he would never pander to corrupting forces.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Overwined posted:

One of the strangest things I've seen in the last little while is the slow reveal of how entangled the Green Party may be with this whole thing. It's just loving weird. If there's one thing you could say about Ralph Nader (I mean one good thing) is that he would never pander to corrupting forces.

this is nothing new. Stein has been taking russian money for a while.

Russia likes to fund fringe parties all over the world. In parliamentary systems it can actually do some damage.

In the United States it's a good way to set money on fire, 2000 not withstanding.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Krispy Kareem posted:

If you messed with their benefits at the same time, Congress could learn just how expensive healthcare really is.

But yeah, separation of powers and all.

When the gently caress has that ever stopped Trump? He could do it when they finally recess and act like its their fault it happened.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Overwined posted:

Ralph Nader actually did a lot of really important things for this country - probably saved more lives than Obamacare ever will with his car safety campaign.

He was also partially responsible for Gore losing and the Iraq War too so you know, give and take.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Throwing Turtles posted:

I looked it up, Medicaid can cover the price of a scooter that medicare doesn't cover. It wasn't clear in my 5 minute look if Medicaid would cover the entire cost of a scooter, but if you need one you probably qualify for medicare either through disability or retirement. The requirements are pretty strict, to qualify it has to be medically necessary in order to get around your home. If you can get around your home but need it to go outside your out of luck, which seems hugely limiting. As for pricing a quick search has them running from 800-10,000$. Medicaid covers the 20% that Medicare doesn't and if your on Medicaid that 20% might be enough to put it out of reach.

Considering how expensive medication is, easily adding up to 1000$ a month, scooters are actually pretty cheap all things considered. But they are out of the price range of most who need them. Democrats should run on a full scooter coverage for everybody who needs one to get around outside.

Crazy. I would think a scooter wouldn't be good for home use, but that is a decent measurement of how much mobility someone has. The thought came up from friends of mine who recently drove from Toronto to NYC to see a podcast recording and the remarked when they stopped at a wal-mart to get some snacks just outside of Niagara, they couldn't believe just how many Rascals were everywhere in the store. That made me curious about how easy they were to get. They're not too common here in Canada, and I always see them being used by older people and people with mobility problems.

Now that's crazy poo poo.

Overwined posted:

Yea that article about the European Greens telling the US Greens to go gently caress themselves because they're all "Republicans Rule, Democrats Drool!" is really telling. The fact loving Nader is taking that line too is really disturbing. Are we going to find out that Chomsky is getting some scratch from Putin next? I know he's a Tankie but at least he can change his mind when confronted with evidence. His denial of Cambodian Genocide was a real sticking point with me and a friend for years. It also had my friend get yelled at by someone who actually is Cambodian who's family barely got out alive, after he claimed "oh it couldn't have been that bad, it was a CIA stepup anyways". Chomsky did admit he was wrong after seeing the evidence.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 23, 2017

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ralph Nader actually did a lot of really important things for this country - probably saved more lives than Obamacare ever will with his car safety campaign.

He was also partially responsible for Gore losing and the Iraq War too so you know, give and take.

Yeah, Nader has always been given short shrift. I saw a documentary about him where they ask him upfront what he thinks about his image as a "spoiler" and his response is eloquent, thoughtful, and pretty drat relevant.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

The US has always been very open to the core ideas of Fascism as a political doctrine. I thought about writing a book on the topic, but I have no idea what i'm doing.
Wherein a member of a dead, gay internet comedy forum holds himself to a higher standard of experience for writing a book nobody is going to read than the American electorate demanded of the President.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Pakled posted:

Quite a lot of them, especially in the House of Representatives. The median congressional net worth is a little over a million dollars. That's certainly wealthy by the standards of regular people, but not always "maintain multiple temporary residences in different states and routinely commute between them year round" wealthy. There's also a ton of out-of-pocket expenses brought on the the modern election system that aren't covered under the job's expenses and can't be paid for by PAC money. That poo poo adds up quickly.

But, yeah, it's moot, because that is the living definition of unconstitutional.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 23, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Crazy. I would think a scooter wouldn't be good for home use, but that is a decent measurement of how much mobility someone has.

I had to research scooters for my mom and there are indoor ones as well as outdoor. There are also chairs (not necessarily wheelchairs) that you can putter around on at a very slow speed and get in and out of easily.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
Could he threaten Congress' healthcare by taking away/limiting the DoC Small Business Health Options Program via executive order? And use that as leverage to get DeathCare passed?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Yea that article about the European Greens telling the US Greens to go gently caress themselves because they're all "Republicans Rule, Democrats Drool!" is really telling. The fact loving Nader is taking that line too is really disturbing. Are we going to find out that Chomsky is getting some scratch from Putin next? I know he's a Tankie but at least he can change his mind when confronted with evidence. His denial of Cambodian Genocide was a real sticking point with me and a friend for years. It also had my friend get yelled at by someone who actually is Cambodian who's family barely got out alive, after he claimed "oh it couldn't have been that bad, it was a CIA stepup anyways". Chomsky did admit he was wrong after seeing the evidence.

This is pretty far off and a point that Chomsky spoke to quite head on on many occasions during when all of this and East Timor were going down. His point was that American media was paying a hugely disproportionate amount of attention to a genocidal crisis that the US government did not (directly) cause while totally ignoring another atrocity that it had a heavy hand in (East Timor) since the Indonesian invaders were using American arms. He never once "denied Cambodian Genocide". poo poo, Indonesia has killed several orders of magnitude more people and in a much more brutal way than Pol Pot ever dreamed of, but to this day no one gives a poo poo about it and the same party that did all that poo poo still controls the country.

It's crass of you to assume he was choosing one life in favor of another when that's exactly what you're doing. What's wrong, don't have any Timorian friends?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Acid Haze posted:

Could he threaten Congress' healthcare by taking away/limiting the DoC Small Business Health Options Program via executive order? And use that as leverage to get DeathCare passed?

Possibly temporarily, although Congress could just vote themselves some other form of healthcare if they really got pissed off about it. Like their salaries, it's entirely within their control.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 23, 2017

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Acid Haze posted:

I would love to see the fallout from Trump removing Congress' healthcare as Senator McCain is undergoing brain cancer surgery and treatment.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Krispy Kareem posted:

I had to research scooters for my mom and there are indoor ones as well as outdoor. There are also chairs (not necessarily wheelchairs) that you can putter around on at a very slow speed and get in and out of easily.

That sounds perfect for home use. I'd think most people would not want or be able to completely rearrange their homes to accommodate a scooter.

Those scooters are so ubiquitous in the US, I've read that often at Republican events, there are scooter zones for people to park to see the speaker, though these are always conveniently left out of any photos, so I'm not sure this is true or a rumor, or actually something that is just everywhere, because having a place for mobility access is not some crazy thing.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

That sounds perfect for home use. I'd think most people would not want or be able to completely rearrange their homes to accommodate a scooter.

Those scooters are so ubiquitous in the US, I've read that often at Republican events, there are scooter zones for people to park to see the speaker, though these are always conveniently left out of any photos, so I'm not sure this is true or a rumor, or actually something that is just everywhere, because having a place for mobility access is not some crazy thing.

The Rascal Rebellion? Armed with the stench of diabetic rot and panniculus?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

I would love to see the fallout from Trump removing Congress' healthcare as Senator McCain is undergoing brain cancer surgery and treatment.

Trump would say something about liking the senators without cancer and McCain's wife who's worth 100 million dollars would pay for his surgery.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Trump would say something about liking the senators without cancer and McCain's wife who's worth 100 million dollars would pay for his surgery.

Or out of his own $21 mil

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Glioblastoma is the anvil in your golden parachute pack.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Do it.

loving do it.

Drive your own party into rebellion, you senile, simpering, obese buffoon.

Open the motherfucking Blood Gates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I didn't know he could do this, and also want him to do this more than anything in the world.

• Locked thread