Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Because you can use him to tighten screws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Hard to spoil Planet of the Apes. It's in the title. It's not Planet of the Apes and Some Humans.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
The twist is actually that it was Earth all along

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

James Franco always seemed like a genuinely cool and nice guy that often gets typecast as someone who thinks he's cooler than he really is. Is there some interview with him being a douche or something that I missed?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
He fucks all the pretty girls, and just married Alison Brie I think, so all the other guys hate him

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

starkebn posted:

He fucks all the pretty girls, and just married Alison Brie I think, so all the other guys hate him

That's his brother, Dave. Who played a villain in 21 Jump Street which was a good movie with no irritating moments.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He wrote a book about a teacher that wanted to gently caress a 16 year old, then made the film where he played the teacher who wanted to gently caress the 16 year old and then in real life also tried to gently caress a 16 year old. Also he's an extremely bad writer who talks about his writing teacher being great but his writing teacher is also terrible despite being Thomas Pynchon's student.

It's his brother Dave who married Alison Brie and he's basically fine though I've only seen him when he was on the end of Scrubs and he's in 21 jump street.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also he makes movies of unfilmable Faulkner books that nobody watches or enjoys just because he can

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

That's his brother, Dave. Who played a villain in 21 Jump Street which was a good movie with no irritating moments.

I liked 21 & 22

James Franco is just alright with me.

Wanna re-watch This is the End now

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

In the Final Chapter of Resident Evil, how can you have a countdown clock to humanity going extinct to the precise second?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

He wrote a book about a teacher that wanted to gently caress a 16 year old, then made the film where he played the teacher who wanted to gently caress the 16 year old and then in real life also tried to gently caress a 16 year old.

I recall seeing Franco on a talk show (CoCo or Colbert I think) talking about how he went back to uni but I had no idea about that

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Seedge posted:

In the Final Chapter of Resident Evil, how can you have a countdown clock to humanity going extinct to the precise second?

big data

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I suppose if you know the time it takes for a virus to kill you, and have a simulation of how long it will be until the virus has reached all parts of the globe, you can pretty much say "well, that's it then" when you hit that limit. There could be some hold-outs in bunkers until their food and water runs out but not enough to continue humanity. But I'm not defending it. The RE movies are dumb as poo poo and I enjoy them because of that, rather than despite it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Imagined posted:

Hard to spoil Planet of the Apes. It's in the title. It's not Planet of the Apes and Some Humans.

OK but the guy I quoted gave away some pretty major plot points.

Also, watch out for the loving Statue of Liberty at the end of the original Heston movie because man

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
But what is Soylent Green?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Croccers posted:

A meal supplement drink with green food coloring in it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weird thing about Soylent Green is that it is based on a novel which has absolutely no twist in it. There's no grand conspiracy and nobody is eating people, it's just a horrible future in which overcrowding has screwed everyone.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Croccers posted:

Soylent Green was Earth all along.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FreudianSlippers posted:

Soylent Green was Earth all along.

I eat dead people

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Defensive machine guns on a Heinkel don't sound like cannons unless they are cannons, which they weren't, Chris :colbert:

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

The weird thing about Soylent Green is that it is based on a novel which has absolutely no twist in it. There's no grand conspiracy and nobody is eating people, it's just a horrible future in which overcrowding has screwed everyone.

In the book he was cop too, and I didn't see why he put up with so much poo poo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The annoying thing about Franco's Oz movie was that I liked his performance and the performance of Glinda, they were fun. It also had neat visuals at times, as far as I'm concerned it's main problem was the Wicked Witch - the actress was doing her best, she was just badly written and fairly miscast. I thought she at least did a decent cackle.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Defensive machine guns on a Heinkel don't sound like cannons unless they are cannons, which they weren't, Chris :colbert:

Ships generally don't sail with their anchors down either

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
If you've spotted any holes in our writing, or any technical errors, that is because you are autistic (and therefore everything you have to say is worthless)

Namaste.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'm rewatching LOST and without a doubt and by a wide margin the most irritating thing about it is Sawyer's indestructible letter. He keeps that letter crammed in his rear end pocket, sits on it, pulls it out and reads it every day for the last 30 years, crumples up the paper in anger or he thrusts it at someone to read it; it's been rained on and soaked in sea water or tears when he has a good cry over it. I don't know what kind of NASA tech paper people have in Tennessee, but that letter should have been ground up into atoms before Sawyer even reached puberty.

Also, 24 episodes per season, holy poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even My Name Is Earl had Earl's list become more crumpled and faded as the show went on.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Seedge posted:

It was pretty stupid but at the end the Red Queen did say she'd called off the attackers that were due to wipe out the remaining few hundred humans, after Alice had successfully released the antivirus. However I'd think that since Alice had just killed thousands of other healthy humans that were supposed to repopulate the world she probably doomed humanity to extinction anyway.

What IIed me was how they focussed on how important the countdown was when it was entirely arbitrary, and, as Hollywood always does, completely ignored it anyway. They made a big deal when 7 minutes remaining but there was still easily 20 minutes of stuff that took place after that, not including the long elevator rides and running through the massive facility that she'd have had to do among all the other stuff.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

If you aren't drunk and/or high as gently caress watching a Resident Evil movie you're doing it wrong. If a plot point in one of them ever made sense it'd Irrationally Irritate me.

Edit: Although in fairness it does irritate me in the first movie when the Red Queen says that hair and fingernails continue to grow after you die. Umbrella's supercomputer has the scientific knowledge of a Dark Ages peasant.

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Jul 23, 2017

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm rewatching LOST and without a doubt and by a wide margin the most irritating thing about it is Sawyer's indestructible letter. He keeps that letter crammed in his rear end pocket, sits on it, pulls it out and reads it every day for the last 30 years, crumples up the paper in anger or he thrusts it at someone to read it; it's been rained on and soaked in sea water or tears when he has a good cry over it. I don't know what kind of NASA tech paper people have in Tennessee, but that letter should have been ground up into atoms before Sawyer even reached puberty.

Also, 24 episodes per season, holy poo poo.

Well they were in purgatory, so...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Kramdar posted:

Well they were in purgatory, so...

... every season had to be thrice as long as it needed to be?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Grendels Dad posted:

... every season had to be thrice as long as it needed to be?

That was the real twist, the viewers ended up being in purgatory. Those writers decided to screw with the fans because they guessed the plot after the pilot aired. Those assholes!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kramdar posted:

That was the real twist, the viewers ended up being in purgatory. Those writers decided to screw with the fans because they guessed the plot after the pilot aired. Those assholes!

It was hilarious seeing the wiki have to scramble to replace every instance of "LAX alternate time line" with "in purgatory".

What pissed me off with the purgatory reveal is how it undercut all the wonderful dramatic irony of them being alternate time lines.

In the main timeline we see Sayid struggling with the evil he's done, and being told he's a good man pushed to extremes by his environment. In the alternate timeline we see that he's still a violent rear end in a top hat.

In the main timeline Ben is a genius machiavellian manipulator. In the alternate timeline he's weak and spiteful, scrabbling for any power or respect he can.

Jacob tells the losties he brought them to the island because they had nothing of worth in the outside world. In the alternate timeline, without the influence of the Island, most of them are doing pretty well, Jacob is just full of poo poo.

Then woops they're dead none of that matters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lost is the show that convinced me to never watch an ongoing story-driven program until it ends because I dropped out of Lost after about two episodes and after years of everyone telling me it was the craziest best poo poo ever the final season ended with everyone telling me to not waste my time and that nearly a decade prior I had, indeed, accurately guessed the shows plot.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Barudak posted:

Lost is the show that convinced me to never watch an ongoing story-driven program until it ends because I dropped out of Lost after about two episodes and after years of everyone telling me it was the craziest best poo poo ever the final season ended with everyone telling me to not waste my time and that nearly a decade prior I had, indeed, accurately guessed the shows plot.

I gave the X Files five seasons, Lost got about three episodes before I realised they were making poo poo up as they went along.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It was hilarious seeing the wiki have to scramble to replace every instance of "LAX alternate time line" with "in purgatory".

What pissed me off with the purgatory reveal is how it undercut all the wonderful dramatic irony of them being alternate time lines.

In the main timeline we see Sayid struggling with the evil he's done, and being told he's a good man pushed to extremes by his environment. In the alternate timeline we see that he's still a violent rear end in a top hat.

In the main timeline Ben is a genius machiavellian manipulator. In the alternate timeline he's weak and spiteful, scrabbling for any power or respect he can.

Jacob tells the losties he brought them to the island because they had nothing of worth in the outside world. In the alternate timeline, without the influence of the Island, most of them are doing pretty well, Jacob is just full of poo poo.

Then woops they're dead none of that matters.

:goonsay: no you see it isn't technically purgatory because :words:

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
See: Dexter series finale.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

synthetik posted:

No. Don't do this.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I was a little irrationally irritated that Porkins didn't have some huge heroic moment in Rogue One. It was definitely cool seeing the squadron leaders, the same as in A New Hope, but Porkins should have had a moment to shine.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

synthetik posted:

I remember around when the finale of Breaking Bad aired, a post on twitter something like, "JJ Abrams, Damon Lindelof, James Manos, Jr. and Ronald D. Moore all simultaneously go "Oh that's how you do that properly, right".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

My IITvM is people being super reductive and saying that they were in purgatory the whole time on Lost, because 10 years later they're still mad it didn't match up with their head canon