Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

EZpass is good from New England down to Georgia but as soon as you hit Florida nope have to use their own lovely system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

What's the response time difference when receiving road head?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hold on I'll get back to you

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

shortspecialbus posted:

Less than when giving it, I suspect

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Broke down, coasted into the spot and decided to just have nice cup of coffee while waiting for the tow?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

redgubbinz posted:

Broke down, coasted into the spot and decided to just have nice cup of coffee while waiting for the tow?

I choose to believe this.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
18-year-old woman arrested after live streaming deadly crash near Los Banos

An 18-year-old Stockton woman is in jail accused of driving under the influence during a deadly crash Friday. The live Instagram recording shows Obdulia Sanchez next to a dead crash victim.

Authorities say a 14-year-old died in the crash and, in the video, she references the victim as her sister. The CHP says two minors were in the back seat were not wearing seatbelts.

The CHP says Sanchez was under the influence when she rolled her car over, into a barbed wire fence and then a field. The Merced County Sheriff says 14-year-old Jacqueline Sanchez was killed in the crash.

http://abc30.com/news/18-year-old-woman-arrested-after-live-streaming-deadly-crash-near-los-banos/2244689/

:nws: even though the videos edited, still messed up. I hate cell phones.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I can't believe it's 2017 and people still don't want to wear seatbelts.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

FCKGW posted:

It baffles me. When I look at local accident reports in papers or other news social media, it's about 50/50 that someone involved wasn't wearing a seat belt.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

"But thrown clear!"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FCKGW posted:

It's an effective way to get your name in the paper, anyway.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

MikeyTsi posted:

"But thrown clear!"

There was a couple girls I went to high school with who would constantly spout retarded poo poo about how seatbelts were more likely to cause injury than not wearing one every time someone so much as mentioned the word seatbelt.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

my kinda ape posted:

There was a couple girls I went to high school with who would constantly spout retarded poo poo about how seatbelts were more likely to cause injury than not wearing one every time someone so much as mentioned the word seatbelt.

Well, they're half right.

Wearing a seatbelt is likely to cause an injury in a collision.

However, NOT wearing one is incredibly likely to loving kill you.

I'll take the belt burn/bruises/whatever, thanks.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

MikeyTsi posted:

Well, they're half right.

Wearing a seatbelt is likely to cause an injury in a collision.

However, NOT wearing one is incredibly likely to loving kill you.

I'll take the belt burn/bruises/whatever, thanks.

Yeah I think they heard that and didn't understand the part about dying horribly so they were always telling people not to wear them.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FCKGW posted:

Dude, people are still fighting motorcycle helmet laws. poo poo ain't gonna change no matter how many stupid people die irresponsibly aka "nothing is fool-proof to a talented fool"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Dude, people are still fighting motorcycle helmet laws. poo poo ain't gonna change no matter how many stupid people die irresponsibly aka "nothing is fool-proof to a talented fool"

Think of it as evolution in action and a positive way of helping the world's IQ.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

spog posted:

Think of it as evolution in action and a positive way of helping the world's IQ.

Chlorinating the Gene Pool.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah I think they heard that and didn't understand the part about dying horribly so they were always telling people not to wear them.

When soldiers fighting in WW1 were issued steel helmets, the number of head injuries increased. Makes you think.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

When they started putting armor on bomber planes, they started coming back with more bullet holes in the wings! Stupid armor slowed them down so much they got shot that much more.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Helmet/seatbelt laws just don't work for the freedom & liberty nuts out there, nannystate government can't tell me what to do got dang it seatbelts are too uncomforbal and helmets are for pussies. And generally they're correct, the person they're going to harm most is themselves (unless their body itself becomes a projectile).

How's this for freedom & liberty & personal responsibility; you die in a wreck and weren't wearing your seatbelt, and any auto insurance, life insurance, Social Security, or any other type of social safety net payout doesn't go to your family. You made your own personal decision to go off and die & abandon them, and "Why should I pay for you?"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NoWake posted:

Helmet/seatbelt laws just don't work for the freedom & liberty nuts out there, nannystate government can't tell me what to do got dang it seatbelts are too uncomforbal and helmets are for pussies. And generally they're correct, the person they're going to harm most is themselves (unless their body itself becomes a projectile).

How's this for freedom & liberty & personal responsibility; you die in a wreck and weren't wearing your seatbelt, and any auto insurance, life insurance, Social Security, or any other type of social safety net payout doesn't go to your family. You made your own personal decision to go off and die & abandon them, and "Why should I pay for you?"

The problem with this is that if you are in a bad accident, there is going to be a huge amount od expensive life saving treatment. Life flight, surgery, etc. You don't want ers to wait until they get confirmation this dude was wearing a seatbelt, as those who were will be worse off. That means a huge burden shifted to hospitals and the like.

If you could feasibly implement it, I'd rather require that you have insurance than explictly covers no seatbelt/helmet with no maximum coverages. This would offload the cost on the moron. Note that the moron would be paying just extreme sums for this probably.
Would be hard to enforce though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

nm posted:

The problem with this is that if you are in a bad accident, there is going to be a huge amount od expensive life saving treatment. Life flight, surgery, etc. You don't want ers to wait until they get confirmation this dude was wearing a seatbelt, as those who were will be worse off. That means a huge burden shifted to hospitals and the like.

Why would they wait? They treat people without insurance all of the time and just bankrupt them afterwards. This would be no different.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Ferret King posted:

Why would they wait? They treat people without insurance all of the time and just bankrupt them afterwards. This would be no different.

If under the plan where no social safety net pays out, the hospital gets nothing.
Generally hospitals get uninsured, unpaid emergecy costs at least partially re-embursed by medicaid. This offloads the cost on us.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I understand but the ER doesn't currently withhold treatment for fear they'll lose money, do they?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just treat them with 1850's quality of medicine.

"oh darn, looks like a bone is sticking out of your leg. get my saw billy, we gotta amputate!"

Or if a crash victim looks 50/50 tell the EMT's to go get some coffee and come back in a few minutes.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

NoWake posted:

If people don't wear a belt, someone is going to have to scrape them off the road and into a bag. Who pays for that shovel and roll of trashbags?

And someone has to pick up the head and put it in a bowling ball bag. There's an extra cost right there.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

The Ferret King posted:

I understand but the ER doesn't currently withhold treatment for fear they'll lose money, do they?

Some will ship you to the county hospital if you are not in a real emergency or will stabilize you then move you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

That is becausr they understand that they'll get paid something. If they didn't the whole ER for everyone thing wouldn't work.
Federal funding for uninsured er coverage has been a major component of the budget for years. It is why aca was supposed to not quite as much as you'd think because those uninsured costs should drop.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
"If seat belts and helmets are so bad, why are they required in racing?" :colbert:

Let the idiot try to prove Dale Earnhardt would have been better off unsecured.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
http://i.imgur.com/O5Gzf3D.mp4

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

They never watched the weight distribution treadmill thingy

edit: accidental leech, bad copy/paste

ssb fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 24, 2017

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

huh.

was on my way home last night when I caught up to a battered-looking Tacoma pickup which was going along slower than normal speed as well as weaving quite a bit

"drunk!"

dropped back a bit, dug out my phone dialed 911, started to hit send

... then I noticed a pair of dainty-looking feets hanging out the passenger-side window, toes pointed at the pavement

aaaand I put the phone away.

the back window of the truck was broken and appeared to be made of strapping tape, so I'm not 100% certain what was going on there, but I think I made the correct (non) call :)

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 24, 2017

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

tain-wags-dog.gif

out of curiosity - is there any way to save it once that oscillation starts?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
In the immortal words of Jeremy Clarkson

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Oh poo poo is that blood on the pavement at the very end??

Wear your seatbelt kids.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure it's a sweater or something that tumbled out.

Secure your load people!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

buttcrackmenace posted:

out of curiosity - is there any way to save it once that oscillation starts?

Adiabatic posted:

In the immortal words of Jeremy Clarkson

Or hit the trailer brakes, same effect.

Basically you want to have a strong pulling force at the hitch, which will pull the combined vehicle straight.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wolrah posted:

Or hit the trailer brakes, same effect.
Can't do that in the UK, our trailer brakes are basically overrun brakes only, they don't have a separate control on small stuff like that.

The "pull yourself straight" works better if you have a good bit of power, and, well, that's a Freelander. TBH his safest choice would've been to back off and try to get the whole lot slowed down while not trying so hard to correct the sway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

InitialDave posted:

Can't do that in the UK, our trailer brakes are basically overrun brakes only, they don't have a separate control on small stuff like that.
So you guys don't have these things hanging under the dash on vehicles that tow regularly?

I know pickup trucks aren't anywhere close to the same level of a thing over there, but here these days all the pickups offer factory-installed trailer brake controllers.

quote:

The "pull yourself straight" works better if you have a good bit of power, and, well, that's a Freelander. TBH his safest choice would've been to back off and try to get the whole lot slowed down while not trying so hard to correct the sway.
Yeah I wouldn't put much faith in the "pull yourself straight" idea unless you had quite a bit of power on tap. It can certainly work but generally AFAIK barring really terrible weight distribution the next most common cause of that sort of trailer tankslapper is just having too much trailer for the tow vehicle to keep in line, in which case you probably don't have enough power available to do anything meaningful.