Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The last 2 "The Dollop" podcasts were about the rise of the epidemic
http://thedollop.libsyn.com/
I could nitpick a few things but it's a decent overview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Portrait of suicide & despair in pain patients following involuntary opioid discontinuations:

http://www.bendbulletin.com/topics/5342867-151/opioid-crisis-pain-patients-pushed-to-the-brink

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/dibrown72/status/888802684287016961

Well if this spreads nation wide the death toll is gonna go WAY up.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/dibrown72/status/888802684287016961

Well if this spreads nation wide the death toll is gonna go WAY up.
There is no magic heroin that resists narcan. It's fentanyl. It's just loving fentanyl.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I thought Narcan works on fentanyl overdoses but not carfentanil.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

There is no magic heroin that resists narcan. It's fentanyl. It's just loving fentanyl.

PT6A posted:

I thought Narcan works on fentanyl overdoses but not carfentanil.

It's all three plus some other stuff. Not really why you'd make a drug that will kill your buyers super fast.

quote:

The drug is made up of heroin, fentanyl, the elephant tranquilizer carfentanil, and synthetic opioids – and you can die from just touching it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

OhFunny posted:

It's all three plus some other stuff. Not really why you'd make a drug that will kill your buyers super fast.
Stop believing bullshit cops say to reporters.

edit: Narcs know nothing

quote:

Mark Ryan, the director of the Louisiana Poison Center, said some doctors had turned to powerful antipsychotics to calm users after sedatives failed. “If you take the worst attributes of meth, coke, PCP, LSD and ecstasy and put them together,” he said, “that’s what we’re seeing sometimes.”
Again, notice the claim that this drug is evil and magic and they must use unusual compounds to defeat it. Every single new drug is the worst drug to ever come out and will instantly murder you and your entire family if you so much as look at it.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 23, 2017

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Apparently there's an even more potent opioid that's only used in research called lofentanil. It's not used in animals because it would kill everything.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

Are you referring to the Narcan resistance?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Are you referring to the Narcan resistance?
You're seriously believing cops when they say there is a special, magical eeeeevil form of heroin that is a mixture of heroin, fentanyl, and carfentanil and synthetic opiods and this witches' brew has a distinctive appearance and has a special name, THE GREY DEATH, and this evil drug can kill you if you just touch it!!!11one. How gullible are you?

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 23, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gobbeldygook posted:

edit: Narcs know nothing

Again, notice the claim that this drug is evil and magic and they must use unusual compounds to defeat it. Every single new drug is the worst drug to ever come out and will instantly murder you and your entire family if you so much as look at it.

Lol, the guy talking in that quote clearly doesn't know what any of those drugs do including the one he was talking about specifically.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gobbeldygook posted:

You're seriously believing cops when they say there is a special, magical eeeeevil form of heroin that is a mixture of heroin, fentanyl, and carfentanil and synthetic opiods and this witches' brew has a distinctive appearance and has a special name, THE GREY DEATH, and this evil drug can kill you if you just touch it!!!11one. How gullible are you?

This is where the War On Drugs has got us. Which might as well be the title of the thread.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

I understand you may not like the hyperbole, but yes this is something people are cooking up.

You can read more about it here.
http://www.businessinsider.com/gray-death-opioids-overdoses

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
The problem with carfentaynl is that it's just as easy to od on it while you're cutting your product with it, so I'm not sure I'd hold my breath (har har) for it to catch on with dealers.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

OhFunny posted:

I understand you may not like the hyperbole, but yes this is something people are cooking up.

What I actually don't like are people who are even more retarded than my profile pic. Let's check out the nonsense you just linked me!

quote:

Gray death ingredients and their concentrations are unknown to users, making it particularly lethal, Kilcrease said. In addition, because these strong drugs can be absorbed through the skin, simply touching the powder puts users at risk, she said.
No they don't. Fentanyl and other opiods cannot be absorbed by just touching them. Anyone who says they can is an idiot or a liar.

quote:

The substance is a combination of several opioids blamed for thousands of fatal overdoses nationally, including heroin, fentanyl, carfentanil – sometimes used to tranquilize large animals like elephants – and a synthetic opioid called U-47700.
[...]
Gray death has a much higher potency than heroin, according to a bulletin issued by the Gulf Coast High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area. Users inject, swallow, smoke or snort it.
Hm, interesting, so we have a source for the information on "gray death". What does the source say?

quote:

The analysis of each grey death sample collected so far revealed the presence of U-47700, heroin, and fentanyl;
Look at that, no loving carfentanil. The reporter read the report and decided to just make poo poo up assuming no one would check it!

quote:

Some of the samples collected from Georgia contained butyrfentanyl and acrylfentanyl, while other samples showed an entirely different composition.
So what they really mean is "sometimes we find heroin adulterated with fentanyl analogs and we decided to make up a Narc Name for it". When they say it's grey...well, here's an example of what normal ol' gunpowder heroin looks like.

What they're saying is that this new evil heroin looks like heroin.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

OhFunny posted:

Because it is dirt cheap and easy to smuggle.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

What I actually don't like are people who are even more retarded than my profile pic. Let's check out the nonsense you just linked me!

No they don't. Fentanyl and other opiods cannot be absorbed by just touching them. Anyone who says they can is an idiot or a liar.

Hm, interesting, so we have a source for the information on "gray death". What does the source say?

Look at that, no loving carfentanil. The reporter read the report and decided to just make poo poo up assuming no one would check it!

So what they really mean is "sometimes we find heroin adulterated with fentanyl analogs and we decided to make up a Narc Name for it". When they say it's grey...well, here's an example of what normal ol' gunpowder heroin looks like.

What they're saying is that this new evil heroin looks like heroin.

Firstly: thank you for the informative breakdown.

Secondly: gently caress you for being an insulting rear end in a top hat.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
We've already seen carfentanil in local drugs, and not just the heroin (probably just cross-contamination -- "Warning, this crystal meth was produced in a facility that also contains carfentanil, and both peanut and milk products"). Per the best studies we have (which are not good) the ED50 (mean effective dose) is much, much lower than fentanyl, but the LD50 (mean lethal dose) is not. If you believe that you can generalize from studies where narcotics are injected into rat tails, anyway. It would appear that all of this "All you do is touch it and you'll overdose!" talk is nonsense as well. Fentanyl in media devised precisely for transdermal absorption does not just knock someone the gently caress out and put them into respiratory failure without warning; other stronger opiates in powder form are not going to achieve symptomatic blood levels transdermally with nearly the same efficacy. I'm willing to bet that the first responders who end up ODing accidentally inhaled the agent (or rubbed it on their gums and don't want to admit it later).

In any case, they're all opioids. You give naloxone. If it doesn't work, you give more naloxone. If that's still not working, you intubate them and wait for the drugs to wear off. Even if someone overdosed on lofentanil, the potency is only a bit more than carfentanil, it just has a longer half life. So they'd hold up an ICU bed for longer, but in the end there'd be no difference.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
also u-47700 is illegal now and not very desired so it's probably going to fade away as current supply of it dwindles. the poo poo only lasts for an hour and is very very caustic.

also also: p much no point in combining fent and heroin in one drug

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

sea of losers posted:

also u-47700 is illegal now and not very desired so it's probably going to fade away as current supply of it dwindles. the poo poo only lasts for an hour and is very very caustic.

also also: p much no point in combining fent and heroin in one drug

The point is portability for distribution, not end-user satisfaction. The people who come in having ODed on fentanyl aren't very happy with the experience compared to heroin -- the high just doesn't last very long. That's great if you want to reduce a shoulder, not so great if you're into it recreationally. (This is also why people who can sublux their shoulders often claim fentanyl allergies, propofol apparently is a much better experience. Too bad for them that we're moving toward some intraarticular lidocaine, maybe some IM hydromorphone, and a quick reduction instead of sedation.)

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

tetrapyloctomy posted:

We've already seen carfentanil in local drugs, and not just the heroin (probably just cross-contamination -- "Warning, this crystal meth was produced in a facility that also contains carfentanil, and both peanut and milk products"). Per the best studies we have (which are not good) the ED50 (mean effective dose) is much, much lower than fentanyl, but the LD50 (mean lethal dose) is not. If you believe that you can generalize from studies where narcotics are injected into rat tails, anyway. It would appear that all of this "All you do is touch it and you'll overdose!" talk is nonsense as well. Fentanyl in media devised precisely for transdermal absorption does not just knock someone the gently caress out and put them into respiratory failure without warning; other stronger opiates in powder form are not going to achieve symptomatic blood levels transdermally with nearly the same efficacy. I'm willing to bet that the first responders who end up ODing accidentally inhaled the agent (or rubbed it on their gums and don't want to admit it later).

In any case, they're all opioids. You give naloxone. If it doesn't work, you give more naloxone. If that's still not working, you intubate them and wait for the drugs to wear off.
Even if someone overdosed on lofentanil, the potency is only a bit more than carfentanil, it just has a longer half life. So they'd hold up an ICU bed for longer, but in the end there'd be no difference.

This is the correct answer to that scare-tactic article.

-----

Grey Death! Lol

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Law enforcement are generally not qualified to discuss drugs but they do it anyway. The only thing it appears law enforcement are qualified to do is make up scary new names and labels for drugs they have decided are illegal.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

This is the correct answer to that scare-tactic article.

-----

Grey Death! Lol

I would rather deal with massive opiate overdoses all night instead of K2 and other synthetics. Hell, I'd rather deal with narcotic overdoses than most of our drunks.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

Much like the Jenkem menace.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

Grey Death! Lol

Don't joke about the Grey Death, man. It is very real, very deadly, and has completely taken over the streets of New York. But what they don't tell you is that the grey death is a man-made virus created by Majestic 12 to maintain control over the most powerful people in the world. As long as they control the world's supply of ambrosia, the only known cure to the Grey Death, everyone up to the president is at their mercy.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

BlueberryCanary posted:

Don't joke about the Grey Death, man. It is very real, very deadly, and has completely taken over the streets of New York. But what they don't tell you is that the grey death is a man-made virus created by Majestic 12 to maintain control over the most powerful people in the world. As long as they control the world's supply of ambrosia, the only known cure to the Grey Death, everyone up to the president is at their mercy.

I feel like I went to sleep and woke up in an Unknown Armies session.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I feel like I went to sleep and woke up in an Unknown Armies session.

Well, you're not too far off.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BlueberryCanary posted:

A BOMB!

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Firstly: thank you for the informative breakdown.

Secondly: gently caress you for being an insulting rear end in a top hat.

he was being a dick, but reading something calling a drug "grey death" and taking it at face value is the sort of thing that people are doing these days that leads to worthless zero-tolerance fear legislation

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The point is portability for distribution, not end-user satisfaction.

this is true but it just has me curious if there are vendors funneling all their u-4 into heroin bags or if they're still importing it from overseas. i would think they'd just go back to fent instead.

btw if you haven't, do some searches around about u-47700 causticity, some of the experiences are terrifying

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At least it's not Krokodil?

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

haha god that stuff was a tabloid rag reporter's wet dream

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

sea of losers posted:

this is true but it just has me curious if there are vendors funneling all their u-4 into heroin bags or if they're still importing it from overseas. i would think they'd just go back to fent instead.

btw if you haven't, do some searches around about u-47700 causticity, some of the experiences are terrifying

It's my understanding that the domestic fentanyl crackdown is a large factor in the drive toward car/su-WTFentanils, but that's mainly hearsay from the tox community. Regardless, it just might not be economically feasible to go back to "merely" cutting fentanyl into East Coast heroin.

The U-47700 side effects from causticity are horrifying not just in what they are, but in that people just keep jamming those suppositories in anyway. Yikes.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The U-47700 side effects from causticity are horrifying not just in what they are, but in that people just keep jamming those suppositories in anyway. Yikes.

Suppositories?

Did I miss something?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I've been watching some of the talks Richard Wolff has given. drat, he is a good speaker and I can only agree with what he says. Thanks for the link.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

King Possum III posted:

Suppositories?

Did I miss something?

u-47700 is a strong, caustic, short-duration opioid (like 60min short) and people seem to rotate routes of administration to mitigate damage done to their various orifices. it doesn't end well, reports of making GBS threads blood / unknown discharge and also perforated septums in the nose, loss of ability to smell, some people report bad tinnitus and neurological damage such as pain in their hands. also it is apparently much more respiratorily-depressing than lots of other opioids. what a drug.

one user claimed that doing u-4 for 6 months via IV injection had damaged his veins much worse than ten years of IV heroin

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 25, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

OhFunny posted:

wasn't the grey death literally the name of an illness in deus ex?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Condiv posted:

wasn't the grey death literally the name of an illness in deus ex?

Yes, it's the major plot device destabilizing the world in the first game.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
That game is so loving good, it's like the ultimate game for paranoid conspiracy theory people who love terrible voice acting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

call to action posted:

That game is so loving good, it's like the ultimate game for paranoid conspiracy theory people who love terrible voice acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUIcCyPOA30

Genuinely impossible to tell.