Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

BONUS CODE: LARRY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

darkwasthenight posted:

TB is a content creator

Calling everyone racist is not creating content, HTH

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I wonder if this is MLM.

http://cowboywealth.com/no-substitute-for-experience.php posted:

(NOT MLM)

Yep, it's MLM.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

I really wouldn't, given all the insane poo poo I've heard of HOAs. Though I'm pretty sure a competent lawyer would be laughing maniacally. There is absolutely no way a HOA can sell someone's house from under them, I'm quite sure. (One comment suggests they're going to pretend they're foreclosing on it)

The HOA might just decide to litigate the poo poo out of this, raising this couples dues to pay for the defense against the lawsuit they are bringing against the HOA, bringing other lawsuits against the couple for HOA violations, etc. It might eventually all get sorted out in court, but the HOA can gently caress things up for the couple for years if they so desire. Unless the police are interested in taking direct action, the HOA can drag this out big time.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

darkwasthenight posted:

TB is a content creator, if only on a limited scale, while you are a content appropriator. Please moderate your behaviour in accordance with your stated philosophy in order to avoid becoming a net drag on the content economy in this thread.
If calling everyone racist can be deemed as constructive, then I claim that calling the poor lazy as also constructive.

I can accept that many of the discontent against me is fair (sincerely), but only if the far left is held to a similar standard. Otherwise, what is the basis for holding only the far right to this standard other than it being unpopular in liberal SA? Given that she and I often argue the exact positions, but simply opposing.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 23, 2017

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only derails

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I wonder if this is MLM.

Yep, it's MLM.

Also in the testimonials:

quote:

I had never had a good experience with any home based business of any kind. I had done everything from publishing magazines, to trying my hand in an MLM. We love the fact that this in NOT MLM.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Enfys posted:

Also in the testimonials:

How do you "publish magazines" from home, print out a word document and staple it together?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

How does anybody buy a home or establish any serious, binding contract without reading everything twice and getting a trusted adviser to look over it again? Holy poo poo.

The previous question is entirely rhetorical.

ate all the Oreos posted:

How do you "publish magazines" from home, print out a word document and staple it together?
You may be joking but yes.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Hoodwinker posted:

How does anybody buy a home or establish any serious, binding contract without reading everything twice and getting a trusted adviser to look over it again? Holy poo poo.

Look at how many people buy used cars without getting it looked at by a mechanic for 30 minutes.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I'm trying to figure out what exactly they do, and I'm still not sure, but they are very clear on every single page of their website:

quote:

Empowered by this win/win relationship, we can reach our goals together. This is not an MLM or Multi-level Marketing company. This is unlike any other work from home opportunity you have seen.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

32m currently 2 months behind on mortgage, ~$10k cc debt.... in need of some advice
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6p1yal/32m_currently_2_months_behind_on_mortgage_10k_cc/

quote:

Hi folks my title was too vague so my post go kicked... I am in need of some advice. We have hit some financial trouble and my wife said that this would be where to ask for help. So here it goes:
I make slightly above 50k a year and my wife works part time (about 20 hours a week). We bought a house 2 years ago and in November, I had purchased her a car for her birthday. It was replacing our unreliable, smaller vehicle to better accommodate our 2 kids/gas mileage. The car payments were above what I wanted to pay but we were managing well enough (maybe one tight week a month).
I like to get my taxes done early and had planned on paying off (or at least almost off) my credit card, which was a starter capital one card from over 10 years ago with, of course, a bad rate. This is where problems started:

Taxes were filed and we were waiting on our money and I get a letter in the mail stating that our escrow had been miscalculated and that our mortgage payments were going to go from $700 to $1300 a month... I called the bank and they were no help so ended up spending my tax money (that I was originally going to use to pay down my debt) to pay off the escrow shortage and even then my mortgage was still $900 a month.
Now I have a high credit card payment Ive been expecting to eliminate, a new car payment that would have been manageable sans card payment, and my mortgage is higher.
We were struggling for a few months (late payments and partial payments and all that jazz). We started to tighten belts by changing to a different cable company with a lower rate, meal planning, changing insurance, selling any extra things, etc. We ended up letting our bigger monthly bills (specifically car and mortgage) go late in order to focus on paying off the smaller bills to no avail.
Things were still tight but there was a small glimpse of light with a possible promotion on the horizon.
I got the promotion but now I’m driving twice as far (paying twice as much in gas) also I went from being hourly to salary; completely negating my overtime pay which was helping us stay afloat. The positive is that my quarterly bonuses are bigger, however my weekly take home is $100 less. All-in-all I’m out about $500-$600 a month... I can’t ask to step down because: 1. It’s doubtful that I would get the same pay as before. 2. It would be career suicide to step down as I fought tooth and nail to get this promotion and would probably not be considered for advancement again. 3. I actually like my position and even my location.
So this week both myself and my wife received letters stating our breach of contract with the car and the mortgage. I have not called the bank for the car but I have called the mortgage bank and will be filing for hardship.

I was thinking of asking for a second mortgage to pay off the other debts (car, credit card, etc.) in hopes that it would get me a smaller payment vs. the total of all the other payments and give me a single debtor.
I have started using mint and it has helped a bit.

Ok so household take home is $650 a week and a quarterly bonus of about $3k (not sure exact amount as im new to the position) but estimated net of $2500 i guess.

Current bills and schedule:
Week 1 - credit card 1 min $150 - credit card 2 min $90 - Cell $200 - car insurance $190
Week 2 - store card min $50 - Store card min $30
Week 3 - electric $160 - Car $550 (currently behind 1 month)
Week 4 - cable $110 - Mortgage $900 (currently behind 2 months) - Utilities (once every 3 months) was $50 but just got voted to be increased to $175
Also $60 a week in fuel
tl;dr- over extended budget with anticipation of paying down debts, got a promotion with less pay, and my expenditures and debts got higher. Help!
Do you have any advice on my options? Thoughts about the second mortgage?

~$30k car on $50k a year and many other questionable decisions.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Not sure how well this works for content, but it's definitely another reminder to Do Never Have A HOA.

Totally possible that this is stdh.txt of course, but i wouldn't be too surprised if it were real.

I’m pretty sure anyone can enter your home if there’s concern for someone’s safety, but the part about ‘interests of the community’ wouldn’t survive one day in court.

But it’s all STDH because there’s no way a HOA that overbearing would have low dues since they’re getting realtors and lawyers together to sell his house. Also the noise complaints would need to involve the cops to have any bearing.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Ixian posted:

Small claims will sort it out; most jurisdictions in the US deal with about a dozen tenant disputes/security deposit forfeits a day. $30 to file usually and probably another $30 if you need to get the sheriff or a process server to serve the defendant (some courts just include it).

If the lease is clear on the terms of the security deposit, and if the guy took pictures/etc., and she didn't, and the house was truly a mess, she is probably out of luck. If it isn't spotless when she left judges trend towards the landlord, usually. The best way to handle this is always do a walkthrough that ends with a signed termination and a check for the deposit, but sounds like that wasn't a good option here.

The whole "he just wanted to gently caress me" part is creepy for sure, but if it is just he-says-she-says on that then it's heresay and won't have any bearing on the dispute.

It's easier than people think. $60 to serve the guy and possibly rattle his cage, if he really is a creepy rear end in a top hat, will probably settle it. In the end, that would be GWM :)

If he wants to withhold a $1250 security deposit he needs to follow the correct procedure prescribed by state law in the required time frame. Even had he correctly done so, he would then need to document his actual expenses. $1250 is a LOT of house cleaning and a rented room being left a mess would never justify that fee. Just as a point of comparison I turned over a trashed house after an eviction including furniture haulaway and rotten food in the refrigerator for $580 of labor, cleaning fees, and carpet steaming.

Jan 11, 2004

baquerd posted:

The HOA might just decide to litigate the poo poo out of this, raising this couples dues to pay for the defense against the lawsuit they are bringing against the HOA, bringing other lawsuits against the couple for HOA violations, etc. It might eventually all get sorted out in court, but the HOA can gently caress things up for the couple for years if they so desire. Unless the police are interested in taking direct action, the HOA can drag this out big time.

Litigate what? Drag what out? The lady is trespassing in his home. She can't sell his house even if the realtor let this deal get anywhere because she doesn't own the home or have power of attorney.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Motronic posted:

32m currently 2 months behind on mortgage, ~$10k cc debt.... in need of some advice
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6p1yal/32m_currently_2_months_behind_on_mortgage_10k_cc/

~$30k car on $50k a year and many other questionable decisions.

Assuming we use his 4 week month calculation:
Income: $2,600/mo

Expenses without mortgage:
Credit Card Debt Minimums: $320
Cell: $200
Car: $980/mo (car note, gas @ $240/mo, insurance)
Utilities: $330 (utilities @$60/mo, electric, cable)
Total: $1,830

That leaves $770 a month to pay a $1,300 mortgage and also money to eat/survive on a family of four. He might break even with his bonuses but he's just assuming he'll get a $3,000 every quarter and no idea how much the bonuses will actually be. The obvious answer is the ditch the house and downgrade the car but no one will ever do that so I guess he can just borrow his way out of debt.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

quote:

I get a letter in the mail stating that our escrow had been miscalculated and that our mortgage payments were going to go from $700 to $1300 a month

How does this happen?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enfys posted:

How does this happen?

By not understanding the letter.

I got one of those a few months ago. My property tax went up and I was informed that if I didn't send $x by y date to cover the shortfall in escrow my mortgage payment would increase by $x/12 per month.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Have you heard of zines

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MLMs are not punk.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Motronic posted:

By not understanding the letter.

I got one of those a few months ago. My property tax went up and I was informed that if I didn't send $x by y date to cover the shortfall in escrow my mortgage payment would increase by $x/12 per month.

700 to 1300 seems like a huge jump, that'd be like an increase of 7200 in escrow over the next year. Assuming a 2% property tax rate that's mean their home value went up by 360,000.

If they are yearly fluctuations of that magnitude they'd be in a multimillion dollar home and not asking the Internet for help because they'd have a financial advisor and a tax lawyer already, but their mortgage is currently $700. None of it adds up.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

C.H.O.M.E posted:

700 to 1300 seems like a huge jump, that'd be like an increase of 7200 in escrow over the next year. Assuming a 2% property tax rate that's mean their home value went up by 360,000.

If they are yearly fluctuations of that magnitude they'd be in a multimillion dollar home and not asking the Internet for help because they'd have a financial advisor and a tax lawyer already, but their mortgage is currently $700. None of it adds up.

Then he used his tax refund to get it back to $900/month. None of it makes a ton of sense.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

C.H.O.M.E posted:

That's a good point. Those are huge relative numbers.

I think I'm going to have to vote for: this person has no idea what they are talking about and the "facts" presented are wrong.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Yeah, when my escrow has adjusted it's been in the range of less than $50/month. Something is off there.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Then he used his tax refund to get it back to $900/month. None of it makes a ton of sense.

If you have an escrow shortage you typically have the option to make a payment to cover it or 12 monthly payments, so him using his tax refund to cover part of it might make sense. As for the massive shortfall (at least relative to the previous year) it's possible the mortgage servicer hosed up and wasn't including his homeowner's insurance or taxes at all in the previous year and this represents the shortfall from that.

Motronic posted:

I think I'm going to have to vote for: this person has no idea what they are talking about and the "facts" presented are wrong.

This is also very likely.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6p05rk/23_year_old_senior_in_college_getting_a_divorce/

This one is way too long but the highlights are:

- Married at 20, divorcing at 23 while still in school
- Making$14,000/yr
- Doesn't own a car but borrowed $6k to buy a camper at 20% interest
- $2000 in unexplained credit card debt
- Complains he can't get on food stamps but owns a dog and pays $40/month in pet insurance
- Wife pays 2/3 of the rent but he wants to get divorced as quickly as possible so he will qualify for food stamps
- Spends almost $100/month on pizza

quote:

Hi all, first time poster - I read through the sidebar info and hopefully I'm doing everything right. Thanks in advance for reading.
My wife and I have been married for three years. We've decided to split up. Everything is perfectly amicable and agreeable so we will not be needing to pay for any sort of extra legal fees.
She is absorbing the debt of a credit card that was taken out in her name and I am taking on the debt of a loan we took out together a few years back to buy a camper ($5,660 left on that with a 19.26% interest rate.... I know). We have made monthly payments on this since we took it out.
I also have a credit card in my name which I owe $1,867.41 on. This card has been closed for a while and I have not made any payments on it in a while. Certainly, this has affected my credit in such a way that any loans or credit are not an option for me. Which is probably a blessings because I don't want any more debt anyway.
We have no real assets to divide aside from the camper we purchased which is going to become my responsibility. I view this more as a burden than an asset though to be honest. It needs some work before it can be sold and even then, I don't expect to get more than a couple thousand dollars off of it (which we've agreed will be split 50/50 between us if/when I get around to selling it). Neither of us own vehicles.
I live in Portland, Oregon. I make roughly $300 a week (plus maybe $80 a week in tips but until now, that money has been spent before it's even counted most of the time) or $1,200 per month (during the Summer while I'm not in school) and I don't qualify for OHP or SNAP... I'm assuming this is because I'm legally married and with our joint income, I'm over the qualifying limits for both?
If I can sort out financial aid, I'll graduate with my bachelors in December 2017. I'm not positive about these numbers, but I think that I'll have about $5-6,000 student loans upon graduation.
I'm hoping y'all can lend some guidance/encouragement in regards to the following questions:
Should we legally divorce ASAP so that I can qualify for food and health benefits? I can't afford private health insurance and I'm not going to be able to easily afford food once I move out of our shared apartment.
How do I find an affordable place to live where I can live with my young dog? (I'm taking on the responsibility of my pup)
How do I save enough money to buy a cheap, yet reliable car so that I can work more hours and possibly pick up a second job?
My monthly budget (currently) breaks down to the following: $10 Spotify
$31 Phone
$32 wifi
$97 short term private health insurance (until open enrollment or ohp?)
$40 pet insurance (i know this one seems frivolous but it will be among the last things to go...)
$205 groceries (this includes all of my dogs monthly expenses as well)
$70 health (this gets put into an envelope in case I have to visit the doctor - because it's $30 a visit with this poo poo insurance I have - but it mostly gets spent on pizza at the end of the month)
$5 goes into the savings account at WF because they make you pay $5 a month to keep your savings account open
$60 Utilities
$350 (This is only so low because she has a nicer job than I do and a ton of free spending money - she is paying
$650 a month and I do all of the housework in return - This low rent is going to make moving into my own space very difficult because it will certainly be much more expensive)
$210 that big fuckin loan with 20% interest
$1,110 per month
and I make approx. $1,200 (not including tips)
It'd be cool if I could say that the $90 surplus has been going into a savings account and I have a few hundred dollars saved up but... again, pizza and the like. Felt secure with a shared income. Wasn't a big deal. Don't know what to do now. Help me make a plan?
What's the most efficient way to get a car, get my own space, get rid of these ridiculous debts, and get stable?
Thank you for reading.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

22 Eargesplitten posted:

MLMs are not punk.

Agreed but im saying the basic idea is there

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

GamingHyena posted:

If you have an escrow shortage you typically have the option to make a payment to cover it or 12 monthly payments, so him using his tax refund to cover part of it might make sense. As for the massive shortfall (at least relative to the previous year) it's possible the mortgage servicer hosed up and wasn't including his homeowner's insurance or taxes at all in the previous year and this represents the shortfall from that.

Yeah but then his tax refund would be like $4500

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Pizza

Jan 11, 2004

C.H.O.M.E posted:

There is probably another explanation but in some places there are periodic property value surveys that can dramatically alter assessments and therefore tax bills. Ours occurs every eight years, most recently in 2016 and before that 2008. Needless to say many property values jumped dramatically on the tax rolls, some in my neighborhood reported more than 40%

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GamingHyena posted:

it's possible the mortgage servicer hosed up and wasn't including his homeowner's insurance or taxes at all in the previous year and this represents the shortfall from that.

That sounds pretty likely.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

There is probably another explanation but in some places there are periodic property value surveys that can dramatically alter assessments and therefore tax bills. Ours occurs every eight years, most recently in 2016 and before that 2008. Needless to say many property values jumped dramatically on the tax rolls, some in my neighborhood reported more than 40%

And this.

Or a combination of those, throw in maybe some insurance rating change (they lied on the app and the property insurance adjuster has come by to double check, causing a re-rating or they made claims which caused the same).

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

All I'm gonna say is that "you hate me because you can't handle the truth" is right up there with "I'm not a racist but" in terms of things that when said should immediately trigger reassessment of your whole life up to this point
That and segmented quoting to argue on the internet.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

OctaviusBeaver posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6p05rk/23_year_old_senior_in_college_getting_a_divorce/

This one is way too long but the highlights are:

- Married at 20, divorcing at 23 while still in school
- Making$14,000/yr
- Doesn't own a car but borrowed $6k to buy a camper at 20% interest
- Complains he can't get on food stamps but owns a dog and pays $40/month in pet insurance
- Wife pays 2/3 of the rent but he wants to get divorced as quickly as possible so he will qualify for food stamps
- Spends almost $100/month on pizza

The rest I more or less understand but how on earth did this guy end up buying a camper at 20% interest when he doesn't even own a car?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

The rest I more or less understand but how on earth did this guy end up buying a camper at 20% interest when he doesn't even own a car?

Not nice, but talked about a lot in the last few year: thinking like a poor person.

I've been there and I get it. I can no longer rationalize how I rationalized decisions like that anymore, but it all boils down to YOLO! (until the walls come tumbling down)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Vox Nihili posted:

Maybe his wife owned one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

Maybe his wife owned one.

She did not. Sigh.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Vox Nihili posted:

Also, why does a 23-year-old want a camper? They seem like Griswold family and retiree things.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

Also, why does a 23-year-old want a camper? They seem like Griswold family and retiree things.

I bought one after I had my first kid. It was freaking awesome. Little kids want to go home at the end of the day. This counted as "home". Super cheap and easy vacations is "camping" (it's not camping when you have a microwave, AC, shower and satellite TV) is your thing. State parks are like $8 a night to stay at.

It's not for everyone, but I totally get it.

Ninja edit: Mine was totally used, totally 80s (meaning mid 90s as far as build date) and I paid less for it than the interest on his loan. It was fine. I still have it. The mirrors on the cabinet doors and mauve upholstery still make me laugh.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 23, 2017

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Or he's in a state that caps increases in property assessments until the property is sold. If the initial escrow was set on the previous owners low assessment and they owned the property for a while it could be significant. Of course a competent lender wouldn't do that but competent lenders wouldn't have given him a loan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6of24o/my_friend_gave_her_sister_95000_to_help_purchase/

quote:

My friend is not on the mortage though and she and her sister made a verbal agreement that as long as my friend pays the property taxes, the sister will pay the mortage. My friend and her 13 year old daughter are the ones who live in the house. They had a disagreement over a recent kitchen remodel job and now the sister is now telling my friend that she has to pack her things and leave in a week and "get out of her house" or she'll call the police. The sister also will show up unannounced (even though she lives 7 hours away), and go through my friends stuff and throw her stuff away. My friend has a bank statement showing the transfer of the $95,000, but she's not on any of the house/ownership docs. What can my friend do/what are her rights? (We live in California, San Diego County btw).

BWM: pitching in $95k for a house with only a verbal agreement.