Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There are notes, but they are all just crude drawings of Emilia Clark's tits and butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SimonCat posted:

When there is that much money on the line, his last wishes won't mean poo poo once he's dead, kinda like old King Robert.

Also, we'll know the ending after the show finishes, so while his "notes" might have important details, it's nothing that can't be filled in by dedicated superfans.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

You say he should get superfans to ghostwrite the last two books, but if this happened y'all know it would be Linda and Elio and that would be a darker timeline than the books never coming out at all.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

esperterra posted:

You say he should get superfans to ghostwrite the last two books, but if this happened y'all know it would be Linda and Elio and that would be a darker timeline than the books never coming out at all.

It should be Preston Jacobs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

some guy on the bus posted:

It should be Preston Jacobs.

A final book where every one of his theories is confirmed would be great. He should start writing it now so it's ready when GRRM croaks.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The "no pages" article GRRM keeps getting mad at was a joke.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think he's now just doing it out of spite that the show beat him to it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Your username and av combo continues to be my favourite on this awful website.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

SimonCat posted:

When there is that much money on the line, his last wishes won't mean poo poo once he's dead, kinda like old King Robert.

I thought that but Pratchett's estate has been very quiet. Some people probably don't give a poo poo if they have enough money.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

esperterra posted:

There are probably already fanfic endings to ASOIAF. The problem is that they are all 100% hot, wet garbage. GRUM is a good writer, gotta admit that.

I have a brilliant plan though:
- do a kickstarter and hire some good writer to finish the books
- change out all the names and places in the book to circumvent copyright, then let the buyers reverse the changes with an automatic script at home

Probably illegal as gently caress. Gotta set up a scapegoat letter box company for this. Maybe also launder some money while doing it.

Full transparency: I'm probably gonna grab the kickstarter money and run, so, there is that risk

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

esperterra posted:

Your username and av combo continues to be my favourite on this awful website.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

GRUM is a good writer, gotta admit that.

i tried reading the first book and couldn't get through it due to the writing. and i didn't even get to a meal scene.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

i tried reading the first book and couldn't get through it due to the writing. and i didn't even get to a meal scene.

Even Shakespeare had people heckling his plays. Not sure what your point is.

I got four little words for you: Tolkien of the Americas

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

BEEP BOOP, BAD OPINION DETECTED

ERROR ERROR

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
I'd buy TWOW if GRRM added pov character that is a personal chef, the series need more food descriptions.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Remind me: what is Varys off doing at this point? When did we last see him?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yet you're able to watch the show?

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Oliver Reed posted:

Remind me: what is Varys off doing at this point? When did we last see him?

He was in last week's episode with Dany's squad landing on Dragonstone.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Anonymous John posted:

He was in last week's episode with Dany's squad landing on Dragonstone.

Completely missed that; thanks.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I wouldn't hate it if GRRM references some of the more terrible show moments with a few easter eggs, The Bad Pussycat tavern just outside of oldtown would make me lol.

Same, but I don't think GRRM has the good nature to do this or has even necessarily watched the show.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yet you're able to watch the show?

the show was good for four seasons. i can't just quit after that.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
So why did Dany let Varys live after he sent an assassin to kill her?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

If we assume that he releases TWOW 2018/2019 the predicted release date of DoS would be somewhere around 2030, when GURM is around 80.

So it might happen.

You actually followed the release date curve for this prediction :golfclap:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

InFlames235 posted:

Oh ok. Well I dunno why they didn't do that in other winters. I guess the best explanation is that he was waiting to build a big enough army of the dead over a long period of time before attacking.

The current emerging winter is also predicted to be particularly long and harsh.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

because consistency of actions and motivations are completely ignored in the show now. the last two seasons have basically been a Huh? why did this happen? series of moments because the writers wanted to have x y and z characters allied with whomever

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

They're going to discuss that very thing tonight. :eng101:

It will probably not be a satisfactory answer, though. :eng99:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WampaLord posted:

They're going to discuss that very thing tonight. :eng101:

It will probably not be a satisfactory answer, though. :eng99:

Oh poo poo i forgot the episode was tonight.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Your grace, it seemed like a good idea at the time."
"Yeah sure whatever, at least I'm finally part of the actual plot."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

the show was good for four seasons. i can't just quit after that.

Even in Season 1 and 2, it was giving us "Play with her rear end" and Shae talking about how she loves the smell of cum in the morning.

How can you tolerate that but not be able take the books?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

"I ordered an assassin to assuage King Robert's wrath, but you see - I purposefully hired a really lovely one... and also I knew Jorah would be there and catch him for some reason? I guess?"

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Even in Season 1 and 2, it was giving us "Play with her rear end" and Shae talking about how she loves the smell of cum in the morning.

One of my favorite lines in the show is when some prostitute is pitying Bronn's crooked nose, and he replies, "don't feel bad for that nose, it'll be halfway up your rear end later tonight", or similar. God Bronn is great

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Hey, he was channeling Patrick Bateman!

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

It's a few pages on from when this was originally mentioned, but the reason why the children of Catelyn and Lysa are likely to be Wargs is because the houses Stark, Arryn, and Whent all have stories from the age of heroes where members of their houses displayed Warg powers (for the Arryns riding giant falcons, and for the Whents control of giant bats.) Cat and Lysa's mother was Minisa Whent, so their children with Stark and Arryn fathers are primed to have warg powers if they are inheritable as it's implied they are. This is directly comparable to the Targaryens attempting to keep the power of dragonriding and dragon breeding in their family through inbreeding.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

television shows and books are different media.

such a bizarre angle to take too. if i don't like how the guy constructs sentences and paragraphs and pages some bad lines from the show aren't gonna make me go hmm actually i should just soldier through these books.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

ATP_Power posted:

It's a few pages on from when this was originally mentioned, but the reason why the children of Catelyn and Lysa are likely to be Wargs is because the houses Stark, Arryn, and Whent all have stories from the age of heroes where members of their houses displayed Warg powers (for the Arryns riding giant falcons, and for the Whents control of giant bats.) Cat and Lysa's mother was Minisa Whent, so their children with Stark and Arryn fathers are primed to have warg powers if they are inheritable as it's implied they are. This is directly comparable to the Targaryens attempting to keep the power of dragonriding and dragon breeding in their family through inbreeding.

Any First Men family most likely not just those.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Groovelord Neato posted:

such a bizarre angle to take too. if i don't like how the guy constructs sentences and paragraphs and pages some bad lines from the show aren't gonna make me go hmm actually i should just soldier through these books.

yeah, I like the setting GRRM created, I think the story is engaging (or at least was, at first) and there are good characters. But I also think he is a weak writer and his books are a pain to read. The first book is probably the best one, but is not a good book, imo. The TV show based on it, at the other hand, was very good

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Elias_Maluco posted:

yeah, I like the setting GRRM created, I think the story is engaging (or at least was, at first) and there are good characters. But I also think he is a weak writer and his books are a pain to read. The first book is probably the best one, but is not a good book, imo. The TV show based on it, at the other hand, was very good

Truly the American Tolkien.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

IRQ posted:

Truly the American Tolkien.

:eyepop:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

The TV show is a better TV show than the books are books.

Especially since 2/5 of those books are A Feast For Crows and A Dance with Dragons.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

The TV show is a better TV show than the books are books.

Especially since 2/5 of those books are A Feast For Crows and A Dance with Dragons.

As bad as those two books were, the show did it worse. Dorne, Winterfell, King's Landing, even in Arya in Braavos which I didn't think was possible, were all so much worse in the show. Hell, Meereen was worse. At least the book Meereen had Strong Belwas and Barristan wasn't killed off before he did anything. Dany was crazier and even less relatable and Meereen was more dull.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't know why you're soldiering through either one if you're looking for good writing. That's my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Holy poo poo could the last couple seasons have been a little less dire with some Strong Motherfucking Belwas stealing scenes from Emilia Clark.

If he wasn't tied up in the spaceman superhero movies maybe Bautista would have been cool.

• Locked thread