Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyfire
Jul 2, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEJE177XO2c

This is worth watching for getting an idea of how batshit crazy Golota was, it covers the 2 Riddick Bowe fights and gives a background on both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Apparently a Deontay Wilder vs Luis Ortiz fight is in talks for November 4th. While that would be a great fight, I can't see how it actually happens. Bermane Stiverne is (inexplicably) Wilder's mandatory, and he's already challenging this fight. Plus Ortiz is the highest risk/lowest reward fight in the division. Not exactly Wilder's MO.

If it does happen I think Ortiz probably knocks Wilder out.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Good news but it actually isnt all that surprising. Ortiz is with Haymon now and-unfortunately after all the tv dates have dried up- the pbc guys have been in much tougher than before.

Also this is wilder and Ortiz does have ped history so I'll believe it when I see them in the ring.

Speaking of pbc lmao at Shawn Porter this terrible Macho Man impression/Garcia. All out

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWq0TLhhw1l/

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

ortiz would destroy wilder, this isn't happening.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

This is happening as long as Ortiz doesn't pop, which is still like a 50% chance. Admittedly it doesn't seem like Ortiz has been juicing lately because he's been looking a lot worse.

I give Wilder a lot more slack ever since he made a clear and real effort to fight Povetkin, who hosed that fight two times.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I got tickets to the Lomachenko fight in August. I've never been to the Microsoft (formerly Nokia) Theater for a fight before, but I think I got some pretty good seats considering I'm eligible for accessible seating tickets. I'm not expecting some great fight or anything but I am looking forward to watching Loma style on a guy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
really hanging out to see loma fight, err, mikey garcia or, errr, rigondeaux? since the salido fight he's made everyone look stupid and i want to see him tested.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

As long as Lomachenko is with Top Rank I don't see either of those fights as especially likely.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
oh. gently caress boxing.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Are they trying to do this on PPV? Nov 4 is the same night as UFC 217, their big MSG show.

vvvvvv Wilder/Ortiz. I can't remember if Wilder has fought on PPV before.

eshock fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 21, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

eshock posted:

Are they trying to do this on PPV? Nov 4 is the same night as UFC 217, their big MSG show.

Trying to do what?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
AIBA is going bankrupt lol

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Crawford fight that no one is going to watch because of the Mayweather poo poo show should be really good

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

straight up brolic posted:

Crawford fight that no one is going to watch because of the Mayweather poo poo show should be really good

How do you think Crawford will fight against Indongo? Will he go southpaw v southpaw or go orthodox?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

butros posted:

How do you think Crawford will fight against Indongo? Will he go southpaw v southpaw or go orthodox?
Probably start the fight orthodox and try to dictate the rules of engagement then go southpaw if he's not liking the results. In his tricky fights, like against Gamboa, he switched it up a decent amount

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Tyson Fury's retired (again)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXBBqm3jmRM/

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Who knew doing coke and eating burgers was more fun than training.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

He's such a fat poo poo prick.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Speaking of retirements Tim Bradley is supposedly announcing his soon.

At least well get more frequent boxing threads

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/890690639293272065

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Seemed like it was a matter of time. From what I've heard Bradley is well looked-after financially, made good investments after the money he made from the three Pacquiao fights and Marquez. He could realistically come back for a few million-dollar paydays but not without taking on some very risky opponents, and there's no sense in him risking his health for money if he's already financially set.

In the end I think there's not much left for Bradley to prove anyway. Three Pacquiao fights have proved he isn't the best fighter of his generation but I think he also did enough to prove he was pretty drat good, and between his Marquez win and Provodnikov war I think it'll be a matter of time until he's in the Boxing Hall of Fame. Retiring with Pacquiao as your only clear loss is not a bad career at all.

Even as I think Bradley would be competitive with any other welterweight active today including Errol Spence and Keith Thurman (though he'd likely be the underdog in both fights), at this point I don't think either of those fights add a lot to his career. As a boxing fan those are matches I want to see, but as a Tim Bradley supporter I'd rather see Bradley retire in good health and stay involved in the sport as a commentator or trainer.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

He owns a restaurant now.

I think that's a better future than commenting for him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sure, as a fan I don't want him to leave the sport entirely though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I get it, I don't recall him being a great commentator, he's not too outspoken, which doesn't help. Maybe he's gotten better or will get better though?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

He owns a restaurant now.

I think that's a better future than commenting for him.

Owning restaurants has generally not been a great plan for ex athletes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

big money big clit posted:

Owning restaurants has generally not been a great plan for ex athletes.

Or for current ones. Or for anyone else, for that matter. The only type of business with worse margin:risk is a bar.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fair enough but you're not getting in the head as your job

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tyson Fury should open a restaurant

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Rocky Balboa's restaurant is doing alright, it's named after his late wife I believe

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What I like about Bradley's restaurant is that there's nothing about it that indicates Bradley owns it. The website makes no mention of his boxing.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Zou Shiming hype train derailed.
https://streamable.com/vpxav

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

drat, most trains need to be in motion to derail.

Shiming's career has been pretty sad in retrospect

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Zou split from Roach for this fight and was promoting it himself as well. He was already over 30 before turning pro so I don't know what people were expecting but it's disappointing he couldn't have lost to, like Chocolatito or Cuadras before the hype ended instead of Amnat and now this guy.

Also Carl Frampton missed weight for his fight tomorrow and then it got canceled because his opponent was injured from a fall in his shower

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/7/28/16060606/frampton-gutierrez-canceled

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 28, 2017

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
So Carl Frampton missed weight by a pound but Andres Gutierrez one upped him by slipping in the shower and losing a couple of teeth. Fights off, :effort:

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

lol that's hilarious

How come Frampton can't make featherweight anyway, he's not particularly big for the weight. If Selby can make it Frampton should easily be able to

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Zou split from Roach for this fight and was promoting it himself as well. He was already over 30 before turning pro so I don't know what people were expecting but it's disappointing he couldn't have lost to, like Chocolatito or Cuadras before the hype ended instead of Amnat and now this guy.

Hey don't disrespect Amnat, dude's a treasure

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Lionel Richie posted:

lol that's hilarious

How come Frampton can't make featherweight anyway, he's not particularly big for the weight. If Selby can make it Frampton should easily be able to

Yeah missing weight is a piss take for a 5 foot 5 fighter at featherweight, he sort of blamed his age too but he's only 30 and was making super bantam without issue 18 months ago.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

looking forward to seeing broner get beaten up tonight my boys

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

thehappyprince posted:

looking forward to seeing broner get beaten up tonight my boys

Me too :hfive:

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
Maidana beating the poo poo out of Broner was peak boxing. It really brought everyone together. Here's hoping that can happen again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Garcia's too sharp, he'll just clown him. The Maidana fight was so perfect because he's such a rough house motherfucker. It was the best exposing of a poo poo Mayweather impersonation since Andre Berto's frankly comical attempt at a philly shell against Robert Guerrero.