Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Welp

https://twitter.com/jonasgessner/status/889133801720381440

Google afaik has no incentive to fix this so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Seriously YouTube Red is worth it you watch a ton of YT. Plus it works on more than just the phone so that kinda owns.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Seriously YouTube Red is worth it you watch a ton of YT. Plus it works on more than just the phone so that kinda owns.

Yeah but it's yet another $10 a month to pay. Is it really worth it?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah but it's yet another $10 a month to pay. Is it really worth it?

Personally yeah, I watch a ton of vids and just having the convenience of not seeing adds and having background video playback is worth the $10.

Also I spend $10 on dumber things so this is actually not bad for me on a month to month basis. That being said I understand it's not feasible for everyone to bother with a monthly payment.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
You also get google music plus in that price tho, so you can cancel Spotify if that's one of your $10 a month subs and come out pretty level.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

grvm posted:

You also get google music plus in that price tho, so you can cancel Spotify if that's one of your $10 a month subs and come out pretty level.

I wish the GPM app was better because I'd cancel Spotify for it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Skeezy posted:

I wish the GPM app was better because I'd cancel Spotify for it.

While it’s (obviously) done nothing to fix the UI layout I’ve found the GPM app performs significantly better for me on the iOS 11 beta than it did on 10.3

Odd because pretty much everywhere else the device now feels slower

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

I asked this in W&W but wondering if I might get a better response here given the thread title:

If you're using MyFitnessPal to track your meals, it integrates with Fitbit and (I believe) Withings accounts and will enter your weight into Health for you.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I discovered this afternoon on my CarPlay app dock that suddenly Google Play Music works on it. That was a surprise.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Sort of blows my mind Apple hasn't made more effort to sort out Apple Music. I'd switch from Spotify in a heartbeat if it had some sort of web player and improved suggestions.

On the subject of password apps, so you use them in conjunction with Keychain?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
1Password doesn't work with Keychain. You can add it to the share(?) button in Safari where it'll open up a mini applet or whatever and you can copy the password from there and paste it back into the website. It's a bit clunky to be honest, especially if you use a website that requires 2FA and you use 1Password as the code generator. They must have an open API that app developers can use as well cause I've noticed some apps have a dedicated 1Password button on their login page. Otherwise you'll have to manually switch to the app and find the password.

The official keychain password manager is very rudimentary and probably doesn't support things like 2FA code generation and saving of other fields like those "help I forgot my password: what is your mother's maiden name?" questions. You should never actually put real answers in there by the way since it's trivially easy to figure out your mother's maiden name or the city where your high school was etc if someone really wanted to get in. So I just generate a random phrase and have 1Password save that as the answer instead.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The official keychain password manager is very rudimentary and probably doesn't support things like 2FA code generation and saving of other fields like those "help I forgot my password: what is your mother's maiden name?" questions. You should never actually put real answers in there by the way since it's trivially easy to figure out your mother's maiden name or the city where your high school was etc if someone really wanted to get in. So I just generate a random phrase and have 1Password save that as the answer instead.

Are 'secret answers' still really a thing?

I was surprised and disappointed to be asked for some by Apple when I set up an account but I can't remember the last time I ran into them otherwise

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
Is there a good app for making diagrams (maybe just flowcharts)? If it takes advantage of the apple pencil that would be even better.

I need to throw together some diagrams for a presentation and would rather draw something than use some of the more clunky software I have on my computer. And obviously some level of professional quality is required.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm thinking of picking up a half price SE, but my work number is a Google voice number. How well does the Google voice app work on iOS?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
It works OK, it's serviceable but if you will be using Google Voice 8 hours a day for 5 days a week you should probably get an Android for work is my guess?

I'm supposed to have a GV number for work but I don't do a lot over the phone. I just list my personal number :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'll rarely use it, I just want it to work when I get incoming calls or need to call into a conference line. Probably a little on call eventually, but I have used my company phone maybe twice in six months, if that. Most of the time I will be using Skype for Business on my computer.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Google voice is annoying because if the inevitable "wait which number should I call you on?" discussions and Google has shown no care in the past for suddenly removing services or merging them into other shittier services. Nonetheless if it works like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, etc, calls and text messages to your google voice number should just show up like push notifications. Just think of the google voice number like a screen name for the google voice instant messenger app, I guess. It'll be completely divorced from the phone number tied to the SIM card.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Boris Galerkin posted:

Google voice is annoying because if the inevitable "wait which number should I call you on?" discussions... Just think of the google voice number like a screen name for the google voice instant messenger app, I guess. It'll be completely divorced from the phone number tied to the SIM card.

That's only an issue if you're telling people both numbers & if you care what number people call you on. If the latter is true, don't do the former.

The whole point is that it's a phone number/account divorced of the one on the SIM. What features did you sign up for if you didn't think that?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've been using GV with my work iPhone for 3-4 months now, it's been pretty great. The app itself does need to reload quite often but I haven't had any issues with messaging or calling.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I signed up for GV a long time ago, think right when it was renamed from Grand Central or whatever.

Anyway this was back when I was in college and I think I lived on campus. I think I had an iPhone but there was no GV app so you had to do this weird thing where you dialed out to another number and calls/text messages were relayed out. Also GV didn't support sending pictures or support those phone numbers that have like 5 numbers only that some things use to text confirmation codes or sweepstakes entries to.

All I remember was I really liked the idea of GV (a phone number in a "foreign area code! I can check my text messages in my gmail! No more "hey you, new number this is BorisGalerkin" texts!) and really wanted it to work but it was just a pain. Everyone already had my number so I'd tell people "hey new number [GV number]" and then there would always be the ones who never bothered saving the GV number since the one they had in their phones still worked. Also I don't know if android was a thing or mass adopted yet, so the idea of a GV number was really weird to everybody. Then there's the times where I'd accidentally call people from my "real" number instead of the GV one, or when I wanted to send pictures I'd send it from my real number or tell people to send them to the real number etc.

It was just a total mess. Sad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I would never in a million years use a Google developed messaging / phone app after my time on android. I literally can't count how many messaging apps they had

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Remember when Wave was going to disrupt collaboration and messaging?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Google Reader, Google Buzz, 1-800-GOOG-411, Knol (more like lol), Talk, Wave, iGoogle, …

Yeah I wouldn't rely on Google services either.

e: How could I forget google+, which is technically still alive, but I remember reading a few years back how they were making a big deal out of it and really putting their eggs in the google+ basket only to fail spectacularly.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I would never in a million years use a Google developed messaging / phone app after my time on android. I literally can't count how many messaging apps they had

Tbh until this discussion I sort of assumed Voice had been killed off.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I signed up for GV a long time ago, think right when it was renamed from Grand Central or whatever.

Anyway this was back when I was in college and I think I lived on campus. I think I had an iPhone but there was no GV app so you had to do this weird thing where you dialed out to another number and calls/text messages were relayed out. Also GV didn't support sending pictures or support those phone numbers that have like 5 numbers only that some things use to text confirmation codes or sweepstakes entries to.

All I remember was I really liked the idea of GV (a phone number in a "foreign area code! I can check my text messages in my gmail! No more "hey you, new number this is BorisGalerkin" texts!) and really wanted it to work but it was just a pain. Everyone already had my number so I'd tell people "hey new number [GV number]" and then there would always be the ones who never bothered saving the GV number since the one they had in their phones still worked. Also I don't know if android was a thing or mass adopted yet, so the idea of a GV number was really weird to everybody. Then there's the times where I'd accidentally call people from my "real" number instead of the GV one, or when I wanted to send pictures I'd send it from my real number or tell people to send them to the real number etc.

It was just a total mess. Sad.

Yeah it's nothing like this anymore thank goodness. I had it back when it was introduced on Sprint and even with an Android phone it was loving terrible. Now it works pretty well for it being a Google developed iOS messaging app. Plus you can still use your web browser to send/receive messages.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Currently available on iOS:
Hangouts
Allo
Voice
Gmail
Inbox
Duo (video chat)
Hangouts Meet (video chat but for business!)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hangouts was pretty cool and the way they decided to just abandon it instead of making it the default Android messaging app really made me sure they had no idea what the gently caress they were doing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Hangouts was pretty cool and the way they decided to just abandon it instead of making it the default Android messaging app really made me sure they had no idea what the gently caress they were doing.

But did they? There's a Slack channel I'm in and I see the developers talk about Hangouts meetings now and then. (Or do you mean they changed their focus? I've never used Hangouts before but I always thought it was like Skype and it seems like that's what it still it.)

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Boris Galerkin posted:

But did they? There's a Slack channel I'm in and I see the developers talk about Hangouts meetings now and then. (Or do you mean they changed their focus? I've never used Hangouts before but I always thought it was like Skype and it seems like that's what it still it.)

A product can be abandoned for all intents and purposes but still readily available and used. That's what Hangouts feels like.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Remember when Wave was going to disrupt collaboration and messaging?
Turns out, it just needed to be duplicated and renamed Slack for that to happen.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

They stripped out the ability to use Hangouts to send SMS on Android (unless you're a Fi customer?) recently. So I'm not sure what they're doing anymore.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A group of 4 friends and I use Hangouts to chat every day. It works well on desktop, iOS, and Android.

If Google ever discontinued, we'd probably move to Slack or Facebook.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Any suggested apps for layering a photo on top of the camera view, so that you can match it against? At work we've been given a bunch of photos of the site 100 years ago so want to make some comparable shots from the same spots.

I couldn't find any apps that didn't look crap with Google search

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 27, 2017

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Michael Scott posted:

A product can be abandoned for all intents and purposes but still readily available and used. That's what Hangouts feels like.
Never forget that people used Orkut right up to its final day.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

sleepwalkers posted:

They stripped out the ability to use Hangouts to send SMS on Android (unless you're a Fi customer?) recently. So I'm not sure what they're doing anymore.

Oh I didn't know Hangouts did SMS. That's weird then since they already had GV for that.

Their ecosystem is confusing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Google doesn't have an ecosystem as much as it's a clusterfuck

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Anybody know of a network file managing app (like FileBrowser) that can add a mapped network drive (smb, specifically) to Workflows/share bar like how dropbox/box are?

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 27, 2017

Gunder
May 22, 2003

On the new Carrot Weather, what's the little bubble that sometimes appears on the lower right of the timeline to display a random weather condition that's coming up later? I can't seem to see any rhyme or reason to it.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

My collection of RPG pdfs has grown vast and I find it inconvenient to read PDFs at the game table on my phone. I bought an Ipad to have these documents handy, but I'm finding it a real bear to simply create a PDF library on the Ipad.

It feels like the only real way to do this is to create a PDF library in some file service (google drive or dropbox, I guess) then import the documents to some form of PDF reader. Is this how I should be handling the problem? I'm completely new to IOS and it's weird not having a file system.

Is there an app someone can recommend for organizing and viewing pdfs? The adobe app seems to have stability problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gameko posted:

My collection of RPG pdfs has grown vast and I find it inconvenient to read PDFs at the game table on my phone. I bought an Ipad to have these documents handy, but I'm finding it a real bear to simply create a PDF library on the Ipad.

It feels like the only real way to do this is to create a PDF library in some file service (google drive or dropbox, I guess) then import the documents to some form of PDF reader. Is this how I should be handling the problem? I'm completely new to IOS and it's weird not having a file system.

Is there an app someone can recommend for organizing and viewing pdfs? The adobe app seems to have stability problems.

https://readdle.com/products/documents