Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm kind of sad they put the cat in the trailer, I feel like that should have been a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Martytoof posted:

Is this real or a joke?

Solid Snake is: Master Chief, Starship Trooper.

Rico has been missing an eye for awhile now, just like Solid Snake he's led a pretty hard life

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They're using the LEGO format to tell some really interesting stories. I think the original LEGO movie nails something really fascinating that no other film easily touches on, and LEGO Batman is no-poo poo the only interesting and insightful version of a character made in its entire 90-something year history.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Pick posted:

LEGO Batman is no-poo poo the only interesting and insightful version of a character made in its entire 90-something year history.

Watch The Smurfs: A Christmas Carol - it's a better than/actually good version of Tinkerbell.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

Watch The Smurfs: A Christmas Carol - it's a better than/actually good version of Tinkerbell.

aw man we gonna throw down or wha

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Pick posted:

aw man we gonna throw down or wha

seriously, though, it's hilarious

Also, if you want "interesting and insightful" animated Batman, check out Gotham Knight.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Pick posted:

They're using the LEGO format to tell some really interesting stories. I think the original LEGO movie nails something really fascinating that no other film easily touches on, and LEGO Batman is no-poo poo the only interesting and insightful version of a character made in its entire 90-something year history.

I'd kind of disagree, and Lego Batman would not be possible if those other takes on Batman were not made. Not only were there the references to Nolan Batman (some of which are more subtle - I'm pretty sure Batman's favorite romance movie having the line "You complete me" is a reference to Ledger Joker's line to Batman in Dark Knight) and West Batman. The entire comparison between Batman and Joker's rivalry to romance is something the comics in fact started years ago and wasn't made up for the movie. I believe there were some lines about that in the Killing Joke that I can't remember.

But I think that's also kind of ignoring some of the animated series.
I agree that most of Batman's appearances are insufferable but I grew up with Batman the Animated Series, where he was a lot more human, made more mistakes and was just sort of street detective smart and not the smartest person in , and even showed compassion for his villains at times. There wasn't the cruelty and constant justification of his assholery.
(And then throughout the rest of the animated universe he starts acting more like the comics, until the far future Batman Beyond he's living the consequences of being comics Batman and pushing all your friends away, old and sad and alone and unable to fight anymore... that series even starts by showing his last fight)
Most of the other animated series kind of have to have lighter takes on Batman because of course comics Batman isn't a positive role model and they need him to play nice with other heros so they can all have toys sold together, but BTAS felt the most deliberate. Even Young Justice, which was panned for being boring and serious, had Batman be the father figure to the teenage team and play basketball with Robin, while having Superman be the dick who disowns his boy clone.

Anyway, yeah most of the time Batman for adults is a lovely power fantasy of a friendless rear end in a top hat who is always right anyway, and Lego Batman being a direct pisstake on that is great. But I do like other Batman takes in lighter worlds when he's not taken so seriously and doesn't have to always be right.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I've said it before but LEGO Batman Movie is the most refreshing version of Batman i've seen since the Brave and the Bold in like 2008, even then he was sort of moody there.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Anyway, yeah most of the time Batman for adults is a lovely power fantasy of a friendless rear end in a top hat who is always right anyway, and Lego Batman being a direct pisstake on that is great. But I do like other Batman takes in lighter worlds when he's not taken so seriously and doesn't have to always be right.

I just went off on a tangent in my head about how much I hate "But it's a power fantasy!" as an excuse for lovely characters and hackneyed writing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And hell, even in some of the darker takes of Batman, it's not all that unheard of for him to be called out for being an excessive rear end in a top hat (though, from my brief memories of the Justice League cartoon that came after the older animated series, I can't think of any instances where his instincts were ultimately shown to be in the wrong, either). For all the various... problems both versions of The Killing Joke have, for example, it was kind of refreshing for the Joker to basically say "you literally keep creating your own problems by being an uncompromising hardass".

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I have yet to see Lego Batman, but if it's good I have full confidence it's for reasons similar but not identical to the West-Ward film, the Burton films, the Schumacher films, or the Nolan films. It seems in pretty bad faith to just unilaterally dismiss the 'interest and incite' of such a large body of work approached with radically different aesthetics and social contexts. Even the oft' pilloried Snyder-verse is all but uninteresting. The problem is that fans are okay with the absurdity of a Lego cartoon, when Batman has always been a grimly absurd cartoon. The twist of Beavis is that Bruce and Clark's mom have the same name. It's literally appealing to mother-love as the only thing standing between this murderous madman and killing a man for the crime of being alive.

But, seriously, The Smurfs: A Christmas Carol is essential direct-to-video trash animation.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

LEGO is legitimately as much a philosphy as it is a toy and it's why they're so successful in just about every field they enter. Even themeparks, Legoland is apparently spectacular because all the rides are build around being able to do things in pairs and being things entire families can participate in.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's not that LEGO Batman is a pisstake of Batman as such, it's that it's an interesting look at people's tendency to self-isolate in the name of "protecting others" and how this is a hugely destructive impulse that does more harm to others than any kind of active participation.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The LEGO Batman movie is basically everything you love about every iteration of Batman without the stuff you hate.

Alternatively,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6UDEi8H43M

Pick posted:

It's not that LEGO Batman is a pisstake of Batman as such, it's that it's an interesting look at people's tendency to self-isolate in the name of "protecting others" and how this is a hugely destructive impulse that does more harm to others than any kind of active participation.

Also this.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Pick posted:

Never saw Mask of the Phantasm, did you?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LeJackal posted:

Never saw Mask of the Phantasm, did you?

I don't know why that film gets talked up so much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lego Batman is a fun Batman film that, like Batman 66 or Brave and the Bold, allows Batman to pursue the sort of lessons and discussions that are normally blocked off to him by the tone and direction of mainstream Batman. I enjoyed it and would recommend to others but its not as though its some poignant attack on Batman, it is a loveletter.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Pick posted:

I don't know why that film gets talked up so much.

Probably because its good. Really good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Lego Batman is a fun Batman film that, like Batman 66 or Brave and the Bold, allows Batman to pursue the sort of lessons and discussions that are normally blocked off to him by the tone and direction of mainstream Batman. I enjoyed it and would recommend to others but its not as though its some poignant attack on Batman, it is a loveletter.

I also wouldn't say it's an attack, it's a fun look at a dumb idea, but the actual theme of the film is extremely strong and well-communicated, and Batman is the right vehicle for it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Das Boo posted:

I just went off on a tangent in my head about how much I hate "But it's a power fantasy!" as an excuse for lovely characters and hackneyed writing.

what kind of goonlord uses that as a defense of something

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

people getting mad that someone points out that Arkham Knight's Batman is a fascist millionaire thug that tortures the often poverty-line random mooks. "It's just a Power Fantasy, it's not like the game advocates torture." EDIT: Batman has a tendency to intimidate and scare enemies, but that's a very different ball park from shoving someone's hear near the wheel of the batmobile and threaten to roll them over.

Uh yeah, it does if it the hero does it and no one bats an eye, and it's shown to actually work it does.

EDIT: got my Arkhams mixed up.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 24, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
When was the first time Batman dangled a guy off a ledge for information? I feel like that's something that he's done for a long-rear end time.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

wdarkk posted:

When was the first time Batman dangled a guy off a ledge for information? I feel like that's something that he's done for a long-rear end time.

Probably since at least the 80s, and in those cases, you know he'd never drop the guy, while AK - I keep feeling like that Batman would just crush a guy's skull under his car.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 24, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Robindaybird posted:

people getting mad that someone points out that Arkham City's Batman is a fascist millionaire thug that tortures the often poverty-line random mooks. "It's just a Power Fantasy, it's not like the game advocates torture." EDIT: Batman has a tendency to intimidate and scare enemies, but that's a very different ball park from shoving someone's hear near the wheel of the batmobile and threaten to roll them over.

Uh yeah, it does if it the hero does it and no one bats an eye, and it's shown to actually work it does.
Technically that's Arkham Knight, since Arkham City didn't have the Batmobile
:goonsay:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

standard-issue power fantasy of a guy who sneaks into a concentration camp to beat the poo poo out of the inmates

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Shadow Hog posted:

Technically that's Arkham Knight, since Arkham City didn't have the Batmobile
:goonsay:

And fixed, after a point, the games do kind of blend together.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The one that set me off is even worse as it was used as a reason for why a game series with the vaguest of story connections shouldn't have a female protagonist. :suicide:

I find it genuinely frightening out there that there are dudes able to connect with a psychotic billionaire dressing up in costumes and punching humdrum thugs, but... a woman???

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Pick posted:

bruce needs to learn that the past is in the past. but i guess there'd be no batman if he could just

Let It Go

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LoseHound posted:

bruce needs to learn that the past is in the past. but i guess there'd be no batman if he could just

Let It Go

He has done so in a variety of media including the previous film franchise, but it turns out the core mythic structure of Batman has way more dollars in it left to mine.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fantastic Mr Fox is really great.

More at 11.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Das Boo posted:

I find it genuinely frightening out there that there are dudes able to connect with a psychotic billionaire dressing up in costumes and punching humdrum thugs, but... a woman???

Or that there's men who screamed and cried that a series is ruined forever and a threat on their manhood that there's one minor character that's trans and you only know they're trans by actually talking to that NPC.

But yeah the fact guys like that can connect more with sociopathic white men like Aiden Pierce but not moral or ordinary women and minorities says a lot.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Regalingualius posted:

And hell, even in some of the darker takes of Batman, it's not all that unheard of for him to be called out for being an excessive rear end in a top hat (though, from my brief memories of the Justice League cartoon that came after the older animated series, I can't think of any instances where his instincts were ultimately shown to be in the wrong, either). For all the various... problems both versions of The Killing Joke have, for example, it was kind of refreshing for the Joker to basically say "you literally keep creating your own problems by being an uncompromising hardass".
I mean hell the whole DCAU has Bruce ending up as a bitter lonely old man until his son/successor shows up and redeems him and Batman himself by having Terry learn from the mistakes Bruce made and being a much healthier/better hero in the long run.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Neon Noodle posted:

Any starship troopers media not directed by Paul Verhoeven is trash

well yes but in theory someone could follow in his footsteps

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think I've ever heard many people praising the Arkham games' depiction of Batman compared to pretty much any other Batman media. The gameplay and design is fun, and SOME of the villains are well portrayed (usually when they dial back on the edge and let it be goofy) but the games' main strength is the gameplay and design, and to a lesser extent the world design and the little things. I'll be first to admit that Batman comes off as a power tripping thug in them.

The thing is with games is that people have by necessity gotten used to writing that's hackneyed at best and gets most of its strengths from flat out ripping off other media, because it's extremely rare for games to get dedicated writers at all; at best some dev who writes fanfiction in their spare time will do double duty. And it doesn't help much when you get dedicated writers on board since they're dealing with a medium they don't understand. (reminded of how George Lucas was ultimately a huge weight on LucasArts because he requested changes that may have seemed trivial to him but were cripplingly huge for the developers) It's often independent developers are the only ones who get the chance to write well and integrate the story into the gameplay experience, because they have the time and freedom to do so, compared to the demands of blockbuster game development where structure has to be determined separately from story.

I'm not saying the situation is good, I certainly don't like it, but it's important to say that generally, you shouldn't assume praise for a game is praising all aspects of its story unless specifically said so.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Barudak posted:

He has done so in a variety of media including the previous film franchise, but it turns out the core mythic structure of Batman has way more dollars in it left to mine.

I just wanted to make a joke about thematic similarities between batmans and disneys. I have never read/watched a Batman story that wasn't attached to a videogame, but I am sure there have been plenty of deconstructions/subversions/*faaaaaaarts*.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm not saying the situation is good, I certainly don't like it, but it's important to say that generally, you shouldn't assume praise for a game is praising all aspects of its story unless specifically said so.

Did anyone do that, though? The thread seems to be talking about how difficult it is to get people to critically engage with the media they consume, especially if it's something they love. Not that internet discourse is always...enlightening, but sometimes people are super eager to dismiss. Piece of media X does embarrassing thing Y? It's ""satire""! It's just a (MEDIUM), don't take it seriously! It's for kids! I enjoy it therefore it's not bad!

Caring is dumb don't ever do it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By the way, it is absolutely essential that you rent Lego Batman so you can watch the bonus short about the Canadian Justice League

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What am I missing on this list. I need to watch more artsy fartsy animation https://youtu.be/etFyANzOkxY

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Unmature posted:

What am I missing on this list. I need to watch more artsy fartsy animation https://youtu.be/etFyANzOkxY

Belladonna of Sadness?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Fangz posted:

Belladonna of Sadness?

I considered that one and the two other related films, but Beladonna just finally made it to blu ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Unmature posted:

Vampiros en La Habana.

E: Allegro non troppo.

Pentaro fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 26, 2017