Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm honestly still confused as to why ccnc was picked as talent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm honestly still confused as to why ccnc was picked as talent

he's 9k and answers questions on his stream and he might've impressed some retard at valve with the few casts he did.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kild posted:

he's 9k and answers questions on his stream and he might've impressed some retard at valve with the few casts he did.

Yeah he definitely impressed someone out there and i guess they completely ignored how crazy and angry he gets on stream

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah he definitely impressed someone out there and i guess they completely ignored how crazy and angry he gets on stream

he spent 5 minutes calling everyone in his chat mongoloids the other day because they said after a certain point MMR is just a number

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

how do you pick a shitheel like that. MMR doesn't explain it, theres plenty of other 7k+ (or even 9k+) people who would be infinitely better. I don't get it, what an awful person to pick lol

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

he spent 5 minutes calling everyone in his chat mongoloids the other day because they said after a certain point MMR is just a number

I get where he's coming from purely because if all you believe is that MMR is important, you're going to lash out at anyone that says otherwise.

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

Solo is 5k iirc

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't see a thread about Pyrion Flax on r/dota2 but I do see Nahaz writing a whiny essay about not being invited and that made my morning

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

CCNC is probably just there for the 1230948732958 simultaneous group stage games. It's like this every year and then when main stage games comes around it'll be back to the standard rotation. The real question is this finally the year Tobi gets punted from the Grand Finals?

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I don't see a thread about Pyrion Flax on r/dota2 but I do see Nahaz writing a whiny essay about not being invited and that made my morning

That's cause PFlax is the best

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The only way I see tobi out of grand finals is if they put OD up there I guess.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ragingsheep posted:

KBBQ or Jack is going to TI as a translator but he's been pretty solid on panels for a while and he'd be a good guy to have on games involving Chinese teams.

Whoa is jack seriously only going as a translator? I think that Valve just wants to run TI differently than I prefer tbh and it's okay because the other tournaments throughout the year are pretty great. Glad the games will be good, though, since that's only thing that matters.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Nahaz posted:

But I'm not going to lie, I'm still massively depressed.

"you're not a pro or 6k+ MMR, what can you possibly know about Dota?"
The answer, by the way, is a lot.

The idea that you can't analyze Dota without being a pro, former pro, or having X MMR is fiction. Period.

it's really hard to look at this and not believe that Reddit essentially decides TI invites.

I'd pretty much decided to take a year off and do esports stuff, but with this kind of signal I'm really doubting myself. I'm turning 40 in two weeks.

The reaction from Reddit pretty much insured that I will never post to that particular forum again.

I did baseball and college basketball statistics pretty seriously before I knew what Dota was, even spoke at a few conferences and such

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Coffee Mugshot posted:

Whoa is jack seriously only going as a translator? I think that Valve just wants to run TI differently than I prefer tbh and it's okay because the other tournaments throughout the year are pretty great. Glad the games will be good, though, since that's only thing that matters.

Nobody knows but he's listed under the Chinese talent

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Jack gives us insight into the chinese memes so he's the best.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Coffee Mugshot posted:

If its like last year the analyst will be outside and/or very far away from the players. So the translator will have a very hard time doing both. It might just be logistically problematic.

How was anyone able to get through that nahaz screed? I closed the window around the second paragraph.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah Nahaz bet it all on Dota despite never being invited to TI. I don't think its about reddit my dude

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just skimmed it and loled at the part where he was giving up very lucrative consultant gigs for the privilege of getting dumpstered by nerds on Twitter.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Looking at the full talent list for TI is kinda making me excited for the tournament in a way I wasn't previously, I think Day9 is going to be a great host, I do wonder how long this has been the plan though given he's been doing those teaching dota videos with Purge for the last few months, can't help but think they were all a guise to get Day9 up to speed for his hosting duties.

Someone mentioned this up thread but it's gonna be weird to see Bulldog there, he's got such a "zany" personality during his streams and I'm not sure how that'll translate into being live on camera.

I feel you look at the relatively close knit community of dota and the people we have who fill the roles of presenters etc and I see a very strong lineup with a lot of likable personalities. Ok, I find SirActionSlacks a bit cringe-worthy and difficult to watch sometimes but I feel he's earned his place as part of the setup.

Great to see PyrionFlax there, he's one of the few people you look at on the panel who has a bit more of a comedic string to his bow. I personally like Nahaz but the analytical way he talks about the game is a bit dry. Also if your a 40 year old please don't whine about not getting a place on reddit, its not very professional.

Can't wait for TI7. I've fallen off hugely this year in actually playing dota but it's the one e-sport I keep coming back to watch, there is nothing quite like it. It's simply the biggest esport event on the calendar.

I mind being 10 years old and hearing about people in Korea watching Starcraft on television and people being touted as expert professional gamers competing for huge prizes in high stakes tournaments and by jesus lads its right on our doorstep. Canny wait.

Just one thing Valve, please don't end it with a lovely DJ set.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Macarius Wrench posted:

Looking at the full talent list for TI is kinda making me excited for the tournament in a way I wasn't previously, I think Day9 is going to be a great host, I do wonder how long this has been the plan though given he's been doing those teaching dota videos with Purge for the last few months, can't help but think they were all a guise to get Day9 up to speed for his hosting duties.

Someone mentioned this up thread but it's gonna be weird to see Bulldog there, he's got such a "zany" personality during his streams and I'm not sure how that'll translate into being live on camera.

I feel you look at the relatively close knit community of dota and the people we have who fill the roles of presenters etc and I see a very strong lineup with a lot of likable personalities. Ok, I find SirActionSlacks a bit cringe-worthy and difficult to watch sometimes but I feel he's earned his place as part of the setup.

Great to see PyrionFlax there, he's one of the few people you look at on the panel who has a bit more of a comedic string to his bow. I personally like Nahaz but the analytical way he talks about the game is a bit dry. Also if your a 40 year old please don't whine about not getting a place on reddit, its not very professional.

Can't wait for TI7. I've fallen off hugely this year in actually playing dota but it's the one e-sport I keep coming back to watch, there is nothing quite like it. It's simply the biggest esport event on the calendar.

I mind being 10 years old and hearing about people in Korea watching Starcraft on television and people being touted as expert professional gamers competing for huge prizes in high stakes tournaments and by jesus lads its right on our doorstep. Canny wait.

Just one thing Valve, please don't end it with a lovely DJ set.

Yeah I think this year encapsulates why Nahaz probably will never get invited to TI. He's not only whined so much on twitter, but he's had so many rage outbursts this year alone. He sounds like a whiny teen.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I just skimmed it and loled at the part where he was giving up very lucrative consultant gigs for the privilege of getting dumpstered by nerds on Twitter.

It can't be as funny as the last time he posted a twitter screed though when he apparently finally realized that no one in the scene likes him

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
It's less that no one likes him and more that no one takes him or themselves as seriously as he takes himself. Also dayj said recently that he was approached by valve a few week or a month ago.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I legit respect older people who have the balls to switch to something that they honestly want to do but man I can't stand that guy. I have an economics background too and do modeling and probability and all that poo poo and he comes across as another shitbag that will scream about his r-square number to all the Peons Who Don't Have His Advanced Knowledge.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I legit respect older people who have the balls to switch to something that they honestly want to do but man I can't stand that guy. I have an economics background too and do modeling and probability and all that poo poo and he comes across as another shitbag that will scream about his r-square number to all the Peons Who Don't Have His Advanced Knowledge.

It's exactly that. He thinks his analysis is so great because he has an econ background and 'numbers never lie' and then you wrap it up in a package that is both devoid of personality or trying too hard. I wonder if he thinks that he can somehow follow in Bruno's footsteps to Valve and has failed to do so, therefore he is always mad.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I mean he's tenured at Western University and did his PhD at Duke which is afaik a good program, he's an Economist. That's sorta the problem too though, he's, yknow, an Economist

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sugar free jazz posted:

I mean he's tenured at Western University and did his PhD at Duke which is afaik a good program, he's an Economist. That's sorta the problem too though, he's, yknow, an Economist

I don't think anyone was doubting his math/statistics skills

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

sugar free jazz posted:

That's sorta the problem too though, he's, yknow, an Economist

Not really. The problem is he's a giant manbaby who deals with disagreement and adversity like a 5 year old throwing a tantrum.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Joda posted:

Not really. The problem is he's a giant manbaby who deals with disagreement and adversity like a 5 year old throwing a tantrum.

That's

What

I

Said

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

sugar free jazz posted:

That's

What

I

Said

you didnt say that

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
"Economists were put on this world to make astrologers look good." Not that the statement has any merit, its just funny.

Another nahaz problem is he throws around stuff like:

"you're not a pro or 6k+ MMR, what can you possibly know about Dota?"

But he communicates with other people like:

"you're not a tenured professor with a PHD, what can you possibly know about anything?"

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 23, 2017

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'm gonna miss Redeye and Flax being the Old English Men of the panels :(

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

nahaz is a giant idiot manbaby imo

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Was nahaz moaning about the Draskyl invite in his whinepost

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Man, I really liked Nahaz at first but ever since that Mafia outburst he just can't handle poo poo for poo poo.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
The final verdict on Nahaz is as follows:

Nahaz is a smart guy and Stats Don't Lie is usually not too far from reality.
Nahaz has a well-defined role as a panel contributor when a moderator/host is able to corral him.
Nahaz needs to chill out about basically everything outside of those two things.

The Mafia outburst, his petty squabbles with other stats people, and his whine campaign against reddit have made him a pariah in the scene. Since everything is incredibly visible in the community, his being an outcast makes him toxic for any event he works, so hosts and planners are going to pass him up at any chance they can get.

Also, the fact that he is 40 and still unironically uses terms like "flame" or "ROFL" makes it really cringe inducing to see basically anything he does outside of stats analysis.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I think his point about 'you don't need to be a pro/6k to know things' is kinda right, but the reason he gets told that a lot is because a lot of his stats in the past have been arbitrary or all but meaningless because he can see the correlation but not understand that the stat he is citing is much easier made evident in other ways, or all sorts of things, and he can easily be lead to a lot of wrong ideas and false assumptions because he doesn't grasp the context of things

like 'you don't need to be a former pro/6k to know stuff' is probably true, it just also basically always should have a 'BUT' on the end

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
are there any middling to decent podcasts about this stupid game for dummies

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

are there any middling to decent podcasts about this stupid game for dummies

Defense of the patience
Peter dager podcast

That's about it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

emdash posted:

Defense of the patience
Peter dager podcast

That's about it

word

also ive been playing the tutorial stuff and holy fuckin poo poo solo bot games are the worst fuckin thing, its like agreeing to let the game punch you in the balls

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

word

also ive been playing the tutorial stuff and holy fuckin poo poo solo bot games are the worst fuckin thing, its like agreeing to let the game punch you in the balls

its not just bot games. Go play with other people, it's all one big punch in the balls.

Good luck, have fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

funmanguy posted:

its not just bot games. Go play with other people, it's all one big punch in the balls.

Good luck, have fun

i feel like bot games are worse because you can at least hope to communicate with a human being

cant tell the robots what to do, cant ask the robots wtf why are you all just faffing around in the jungle mid is open just push hard

• Locked thread